• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
[Spoiler: A little off topic] Ok, I just want to talk about the trophy quiz real quick. Tiki meant Robin and Lucina were going to be newcomers. Psdo-Palutena meant that Palutena was going to be a newcomer. We know King Ki Hunter means that Ridley will be a newcomer. But, what does Fi mean since Girahim is out of the picture [/Spoiler]
Possibly Impa, or maybe even Groose. You have a slash in the spoiler thing, and it would be wise not to overdo it

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ok, I just want to talk about the trophy quiz real quick. Tiki meant Robin and Lucina were going to be newcomers. Psdo-Palutena meant that Palutena was going to be a newcomer. We know King Ki Hunter means that Ridley will be a newcomer. But, what does Fi mean since Girahim is out of the picture
It could mean Impa.

But Ridley is already heavily teased without being outright disconfirmed, so I wouldn't worry about him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Replace Dixie with K. Rool, and you're good to go! ;)
It's supposed to parody the missing links of the leak, which are Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Chorus Men and an off-chance of Impa and Mach Rider.

(don't start leak arguments again guys pls)

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Ok, I just want to talk about the trophy quiz real quick. Tiki meant Robin and Lucina were going to be newcomers. Psdo-Palutena meant that Palutena was going to be a newcomer. We know King Ki Hunter means that Ridley will be a newcomer. But, what does Fi mean since Girahim is out of the picture
#TheGrooseisLoose
Thanks for the tip! Actually, I did post a pic where I said how you can see Pikachu's shadow in Ridley's shadow, and how there are many ways it along with other evidence proves he is playable, and I got downvoted to oblivion.

That's why I'm gonna wait till confirmation on KYM.
This reminds me of that one Sonic Lost World "OP IS FACT" GIF. XD

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
That's how I recognized you, and they use the size argument anyway.

On a unrelated note, did every character clap when they lost in the demo? If that's the case, Then a Ridley clap would be awesome
I think that Diddy din't clap, so Ridley might not either. Though it would be sweet if he did. Could be something like this:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
View attachment 22452

"A letter? For me...?"
WHY THE HELL AM I A STAGE BOSS?!

Thanks for the tip! Actually, I did post a pic where I said how you can see Pikachu's shadow in Ridley's shadow, and how there are many ways it along with other evidence proves he is playable, and I got downvoted to oblivion.

That's why I'm gonna wait till confirmation on KYM.
Welcome to Gamefaqs/Youtube Comments/Miiverse. I could ask you to enjoy your stay but lets be honest here, you won't.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
I think that Diddy din't clap, so Ridley might not either. Though it would be sweet if he did. Could be something like this:

Give him a top hat, monocle and a curly q mustache and he's set...

...Well, now I want this as an alt costume :(

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

This is one of the reasons why I don't understand some people don't want him playable. Who wouldn't find themselves bursting in laughter at the sight of Ridley, a cold-blooded, ruthless murderer and vicious Space Pirate, politely clapping at his opponents' victories?

Although I'm completely expecting Ridley to make a facepalm as his 'defeat' animation.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Give him a top hat, monocle and a curly q mustache and he's set...

...Well, now I want this as an alt costume :(
Why not do this with every character?

This is one of the reasons why I don't understand some people don't want him playable. Who wouldn't find themselves bursting in laughter at the sight of Ridley, a cold-blooded, ruthless murderer and vicious Space Pirate, politely clapping at his opponents' victories?

Although I'm completely expecting Ridley to make a facepalm as his 'defeat' animation.
I'd expect him to eat the cameraman, but that's just a waste of good cameramen.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Anyways,we probably all know by now that the Ridley we saw in the Direct is from other M, but what do you guys think about it being the concept art Ridley?

I feel like this is the one that's gonna be used as the playable Ridley as apposed to the final design of Other M Ridley, especially after seeing how the wings of the shadow have the same curve as the concept art.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Anyways,we probably all know by now that the Ridley we saw in the Direct is from other M, but what do you guys think about it being the concept art Ridley?

I feel like this is the one that's gonna be used as the playable Ridley as apposed to the final design of Other M Ridley, especially after seeing how the wings of the shadow have the same curve as the concept art.
Where do you think Wiidude and Relax Alax got their info/Shadow comparisons?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

This is probably the best choice, the best of two worlds combined in one large murderous space reptile.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Gotcha covered.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'm really curious about the Trophy Quiz. I assume that the trophies shown would have a pretty significant link to a newcomer, and is the best character to choose from to hint at that newcomer.

A lot of people thought Tiki meant Chrom, but it hinted clearly to Lucina while not being a bad fit for Robin too. Just to keep things brief, there would be a lot of better choices if he was trying to hint at Chrom and not Lucina/Robin.

Pseudo Palutena quite obviously hinted at Palutena.

Now I thought Fi was going to be Ghirahim for sure. Fi's a sword in human form and (small character spoiler)
Ghirahim's a sword in human form
. They're also from the same game. Now that Ghirahim's deconfirmed, this makes me really curious... what is Fi hinting at? Groose? Impa? I would say that Fi hinted much more at Ghirahim than Groose or Impa. But this is all based on the assumption that Sakurai was showing a character trophy that was the best choice to hint at each newcomer. It could be that the connection isn't that strong, as he would have had to pick from a pool of character trophies that were going to be in SSB4. And besides, what kind of character trophy would be a clear hint at Impa? (Is there?)

Anyway, trophy theory is still alive for me. Ridley's going to be in so the only weird choice is the Fi trophy but once again perhaps Sakurai was limited to picking characters that were trophies in SSB4 to hint at a newcome and not able to just pick any character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I like the much more sleek design, the red chest, the thinner limbs and the bending neck. However, by far the best thing about it is the beak design, it's really really good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm really curious about the Trophy Quiz. I assume that the trophies shown would have a pretty significant link to a newcomer, and is the best character to choose from to hint at that newcomer.

A lot of people thought Tiki meant Chrom, but it hinted clearly to Lucina while not being a bad fit for Robin too. Just to keep things brief, there would be a lot of better choices if he was trying to hint at Chrom and not Lucina/Robin.

Pseudo Palutena quite obviously hinted at Palutena.

Now I thought Fi was going to be Ghirahim for sure. Fi's a sword in human form and (small character spoiler)
Ghirahim's a sword in human form
. They're also from the same game. Now that Ghirahim's deconfirmed, this makes me really curious... what is Fi hinting at? Groose? Impa? I would say that Fi hinted much more at Ghirahim than Groose or Impa. But this is all based on the assumption that Sakurai was showing a character trophy that was the best choice to hint at each newcomer. It could be that the connection isn't that strong, as he would have had to pick from a pool of character trophies that were going to be in SSB4. And besides, what kind of character trophy would be a clear hint at Impa? (Is there?)

Anyway, trophy theory is still alive for me. Ridley's going to be in so the only weird choice is the Fi trophy but once again perhaps Sakurai was limited to picking characters that were trophies in SSB4 to hint at a newcome and not able to just pick any character.
The thing with the 4 trophies are that the music tracks are also relevant to the newcomers, Id themes are basically Robin themes, Palutena's return and Ridley's theme played in the background. The only thing is, Ballad of the Goddess is the game's main theme, so it's too difficult to get anything from that

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Now that Ghirahim's deconfirmed, this makes me really curious... what is Fi hinting at? Groose? Impa? I would say that Fi hinted much more at Ghirahim than Groose or Impa. But this is all based on the assumption that Sakurai was showing a character trophy that was the best choice to hint at each newcomer. It could be that the connection isn't that strong, as he would have had to pick from a pool of character trophies that were going to be in SSB4. And besides, what kind of character trophy would be a clear hint at Impa? (Is there?)

Great, now I want a trailer with Ridley and Groose!

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet
We
Hello, new guy here! I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, and since we are getting close to release and all that jazz, I decided to join! Also, big Ridley supporter here, one that get's a lot of hate for it on my home site KnowYourMeme. But yeah, I feel Ridley will be in this Smash bros for Sure!

(Also, I won't drink the water.)
Welcome fellow Ridley supporter! As someone who is also new to the thread I'm sure you'll get the same warm reception I did so long as you dont drink the water.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I like the much more sleek design, the red chest, the thinner limbs and the bending neck. However, by far the best thing about it is the beak design, it's really really good.
Yeah, they should have used this design instead of the one they went with for Other M. I feel as if the Concept design was made just for smash bros., it just fits so perfectly!

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Off topic/Spam Warning Received
If you believe it that is your choice; however, there are counter points to the leak:

Notice how far away Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario are from their respective Franchises.

Edit: Forgot more evidence against supposed leak:

Even in team battles, only one winner has a laurel around their 1.
MARIO LOOKS LIKE MARIO?!!

CALL THE PRESS, THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!

Seriously though, this isn't really the place for this discussion. I've been one of the more vocal critics of this image leak, but spreading it's discussion across the board isn't all that useful. I would suggest discussing the point about the laurels on the thread about evidence for or against this leak though. If we can find an in game screen of a team battle that doesn't have it for both (as it were), it would be another solid issue with the images.

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet
Yeah, they should have used this design instead of the one they went with for Other M. I feel as if the Concept design was made just for smash bros., it just fits so perfectly!
As cool as it would have been, other mley is not a bad choice either, I don't really feel the need to be picky whether we get classicley, roidley, or conceptley as a fighter.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is an animal, so is Pikachu, Ridley is also an animal, but still, and the leaks have their own thread, IsmaR will have our hides if we keep discussing this stuff, I think she is starting to get a bit impatient with us about the constant leak stuff in this thread. And those 90% things were Ridley related
If you cant see how a leak of the playable roster in SSB4 has anything to do with Ridley being a playable character in SSB4 then I dont know what to tell you ;)

Also I would point out in detail how your examples dont actually work and how HAL had to deal with the issue in Melee... But thats why I asked where was the actual leak discussion yesterday, to no avail. i only mentioned it because the leak was being discussed.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
You know...I was planning to actually do that.....like I did with Ridley...

View attachment 22461
obviously, the fancy Ridley is mine.
I'd love a drawing of fancy Ridley alongside a stereotypical gangsta-style Broley.

If you cant see how a leak of the playable roster in SSB4 has anything to do with Ridley being a playable character in SSB4 then I dont know what to tell you ;)

Also I would point out in detail how your examples dont actually work and how HAL had to deal with the issue in Melee... But thats why I asked where was the actual leak discussion yesterday, to no avail. i only mentioned it because the leak was being discussed.
RIDLEY!

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
MARIO LOOKS LIKE MARIO?!!

CALL THE PRESS, THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!
I think it has to do more with the fact that the leaker used the exact same pose for Dr. Mario and Regular Mario.

But we're not here to discuss leaks, we're are here to discuss a purple space pirate dragon pterodactyl becoming playable in Smash Bros.!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Throw that into the pit. IT BURNS!!! You haven's seen last of it!
Anyway, no, this one took steroids, unlike Roidley. Look at those muscles, then look at Roidley's visible ribs and pelvis bone. This one is thinner, but he is not anorexic space dragon Ridley is supposed to be.
I found a pic that would be good for a reveal!

I can't tell if the beak was changed though
It wasn't.
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Ridley being a playable character until it is 100%. Even then, it won't realy be anything related.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
I figure they'd do an overhaul anyway. Of his appearance I mean. They've never seemed 100% complacent with any one character style, especially not the most recent iteration. I mean, look at Link. It seems like they've been trying to go for a more... universal style for each character, at least this go around! So if they choose Other M Ridley as a base, I know they're going to make him look great!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I think it has to do more with the fact that the leaker used the exact same pose for Dr. Mario and Regular Mario.

But we're not here to discuss leaks, we're are here to discuss a purple space pirate dragon pterodactyl becoming playable in Smash Bros.!
It's not a pterodactyl. Pterodactyls have winged arms or whatever you want to call it. Jeez! Stop getting these simple things wrong you dummy!!!!

The only qualms I have with Conceptley (and also with Roidley) are the feet. They're too...human. I prefer the grabby claw feet.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My qualms with Other M:
Roidley's jaws just don't look fit for biting and tearing. It's like the teeth are completely unnecessary.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
C: Yeah, I would love that too...but THIS GODDAMNED TABLET WON'T LET ME DO ANYTHING..! D:<
Have patience, your grasshopper, and hone your skills. In due time...
Wait, grasshopper? Space grasshopper? Zebesian? Zebesians are insectoid too. Andrea are you a Zebesian? No?
Why did those old dirtbags call their apprentices grasshoppers anyway? No glasses?

My qualms with Other M:
Roidley's jaws just don't look fit for biting and tearing. It's like the teeth are completely unnecessary.
Yeah. It's more suited for eating fish than anything else, really. It's an interesting design choice, but it's also a bit silly from a biological standpoint.
Then again, space dragon.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
It's not a pterodactyl. Pterodactyls have winged arms or whatever you want to call it. Jeez! Stop getting these simple things wrong you dummy!!!!

The only qualms I have with Conceptley (and also with Roidley) are the feet. They're too...human. I prefer the grabby claw feet.
Sheesh, no need to take offence to it! Besides, his body resembles a dragon, but his head is more like a Pterodactyl.

And yeah, I hope they change his feet to be more claw like.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My qualms with Other M:
It's too flat yeah, it needs to be more narrow like his past designs for it to work properly. Seems like the concept art had a proper beak for biting actually.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
The thing with the 4 trophies are that the music tracks are also relevant to the newcomers, Id themes are basically Robin themes, Palutena's return and Ridley's theme played in the background. The only thing is, Ballad of the Goddess is the game's main theme, so it's too difficult to get anything from that
Huh, great point. The music is a very conscious decision to make. So Tiki + the Id track was hinting at Robin (since he's the one with the original moveset and seems to be the spotlight character), while Tiki also was a good fit for Lucina. Ridley's music is obviously Ridley.

Hm, could the Skyward Sword theme be hinting at Impa since I don't think Impa has her own theme? Since the other music choices were very fitting, there must be an answer to this! XD I know this isn't super related to Ridley but if I can figure out a fitting answer for this, then the Trophy theory and Ridley's chances will be even closer to 100% real to me.

Could it possibly be a Skyward version of Zelda? With a different Down B. He has Toon Link so maybe he'll give a clone or semi clone for Zelda, since Impa and Groose aren't that important.

Actually I read that Ballad of the Goddess has a part of Ghirahim's theme mixed in to it...

Could it be that the PotD we got was a troll and that Ghirahim isn't an AT but will be revealed to be a playable character?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom