• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh yes.

It's that feeling again.

Confidence spewing from deep within my loins.

I can say with Surity:

Brawl Ridley stands 6.55m (21' 6") when standing straight up in T-Pose. It's hard to say what his height would be when standing normally, since there's not really a standard standing pose for Ridley, nor did Brawl provide that sort of animation for him.

He's considerably larger than his Super Metroid sprite though. Probably by nearly 2m (6' 7", one Mewtwo unit of length). It doesn't exactly match up with the sprite, as I foolishly hoped. It's difficult to get a good figure really, but this is what I tried: Scaling the Brawl model to match the size of Super Ridley's sprite's head, he's about 0.66x the original (6.55m) size, which would mean he'd be 4.32m (14' 2") tall standing straight. HOWEVER, if I scale the model so that its BODY matches the sprite's, it's about 0.8x the original size, making him 5.24m (17' 2").

Personally, I like to compromise by making him 0.73x the original size, making him around 4.78m (15' 8"). It's CLOSE ENOUGH to 4.75, which I just think looks pretty, and still within the 4m range just like my estimate on Super Ridley's height (4.1m, 13' 5"). WHICH, when standing normally, he might match. ANOTHER REASON I like 4.75, is because it's an easy to remember, sensible, scale to Samus's own height. It's exactly 2.5x Samus's own height of 1.9m.

The measurement of height... is really a beautiful journey...

ALL THANKS TO THE GLORIOUS ANGELGLORY *DEEPEST OF MAIDLY CURTSIES TO HIM*

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I think I asked this before but don't remember getting an answer but what are the purple things under Pyrosphere? The Final Destination versions look different. They could possible be a stage hazard.....I mean it does seem odd they changed the look for both Pyrosphere's purple thingy's.

http://i.imgur.com/GLyT8Im.png

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of something...

What if Sakurai is holding back playable Ridley for the Smash game(s) that will release on Nintendo's next console and handheld?

If Mewtwo, K. Rool, Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Pac-Man and Mii end up playable in Smash Wii U/3DS (which seems quite likely), then who would there really be left that could generate huge hype for the Smash that's surely coming 5 or so years from now?

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135

What if Sakurai is holding back playable Ridley for the Smash game(s) that will release on Nintendo's next console and handheld?

If Mewtwo, K. Rool, Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Pac-Man and Mii end up playable in Smash Wii U/3DS (which seems quite likely), then who would there really be left that could generate huge hype for the Smash that's surely coming 5 or so years from now?
It sounds reasonable, but I hope it isn't true. I want Ridley NOW, gosh darnit!

Also, I have a hard time believing that Sakurai would tease Ridley so much for Smash 4 like he's been doing without any kind of eventual payoff. Just seems kind of jerk-y.

Last edited:

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
I must be stupid or something, but I still don't see Pikachu being held by Ridley. But it does look like he's holding something. Just can't tell if it's Pikachu or not.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I must be stupid or something, but I still don't see Pikachu being held by Ridley. But it does look like he's holding something. Just can't tell if it's Pikachu or not.
Stage hazard Ridley must be holding the playable Ridley.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Personally I don't want Stageley, or Roidley (I personally don't have any beef with him), and Radley is just out of the question. I just want good old Ridley and nothing else.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Is it wrong that this Too Bigot's video had made me laugh?
No. But its wrong that you didn`t promptly shot him. Shame on ya!
Or Ridbadeebaboobadabadeebadoobadeybopley
Or Riantspacedragonpterosauruscyborgmutantleviathancoredefenderleaderofspacepiratesthatjustcantdiedley.

Actually, it was a reference to something in my previous post.
Maybe we should give such short nicknames to each ridley? Like redley for meta ridley, roedley for omega ridley, etc.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Potentially, but the thing is we're always going to have potential newcomers to choose from for the next Smash, whether they'd be new reps from new franchises (like Shulk) or are on their way to becoming prominent in their franchise (like potentially Cranky). So personally, I'd prefer Ridley was put in this game over having to wait, because he does have good reasons to be used now.

Plus, having another 5 years of not having him playable would be depressing...

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

Nintendo is the type of company thats gonna stick to its guns untill the bitter end, meaning they arent gonna skim on the WiiU just to have some stuff for the new console. Heck, I'd even argue they SHOULD include all these newcomers in so they can generate hype big enough to get people to buy WiiUs. As for Smash 5, I dont like thinking that much into the future, but Im sure they would figure some characters up that would get people excited.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
reposting this so more ppl will see:

if ridley is not in sakurai is either a **** or out of touch with the fanbase, with him teasing that side don't matter on 2-3 potd. If he done his research should know it would stir up the ridley community, a person just getting into smash can learn that ridley size is the biggest debate in smash so the director of the game should know.

It not just favortism speaking there is evidence that ridley is the mot wanted newcomer by far look at the post/view count it dwarfs the post/view count of every character and 4x the size of the second highest which is rool at 7,000(last I checked). So if he is ignored again I think the ridley fanbase has the right to be po because clearly sakurai does not know what he is doing and letting his personal bias interfere with his job.

when I first heard of the game I was so exited since with only 2 allstars left out of brawl how could sakurai screw it up, man was I wrong. I don't know if you all are aware of sal leak and the 5 additional characters that was leaked before the direct( one of them was a x and y pokemon, plus this is the guy who predicted villager, megaman, wii fit trainer, mii, little mac, and pacman) but it's very disappointing and does not take in account the western audience.

if or when ridley is confirmed not playable when need to make a fuse, email nintendo( is that possable?) tweet sakurai every day if you have to, write articles, ect. I know this seems drastic but we need to show how big this character is wanted, and why it was a bad choice to pass him over again. Maybe we can convince him to be added with dlc or the rumored smash 6 is that was rumored to come out next year( a expansion?), Now is the time to do it not when dlc or smash 5( dont count 3ds as 5, same roster same game imo) roster is already decided. this is drastic ik but doing nothing will mostly result in being in the same position come smash 5.

D

Deleted member

if or when ridley is confirmed not playable when need to make a fuse, email nintendo( is that possable?) tweet sakurai every day if you have to, write articles, ect. I know this seems drastic but we need to show how big this character is wanted, and why it was a bad choice to pass him over again. Maybe we can convince him to be added with dlc or the rumored smash 6 is that was rumored to come out next year( a expansion?), Now is the time to do it not when dlc or smash 5( dont count 3ds as 5, same roster same game imo) roster is already decided. this is drastic ik but doing nothing will mostly result in being in the same position come smash 5.
That will just make people look down on the Smash community even more than they already do, since it will paint all of us as whiners even though it's not everyone in the community doing it (if you want a good example of something like this, look up "Dota 2 Diretide Fiasco" in Google). I can understand your disappointment if it does happen but spamming Sakurai with Tweets and e-mailing Nintendo with complaints won't really do anything except make the Smash community look like a bunch of asshats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
reposting this so more ppl will see:

if ridley is not in sakurai is either a **** or out of touch with the fanbase, with him teasing that side don't matter on 2-3 potd. If he done his research should know it would stir up the ridley community, a person just getting into smash can learn that ridley size is the biggest debate in smash so the director of the game should know.

It not just favortism speaking there is evidence that ridley is the mot wanted newcomer by far look at the post/view count it dwarfs the post/view count of every character and 4x the size of the second highest which is rool at 7,000(last I checked). So if he is ignored again I think the ridley fanbase has the right to be po because clearly sakurai does not know what he is doing and letting his personal bias interfere with his job.

when I first heard of the game I was so exited since with only 2 allstars left out of brawl how could sakurai screw it up, man was I wrong. I don't know if you all are aware of sal leak and the 5 additional characters that was leaked before the direct( one of them was a x and y pokemon, plus this is the guy who predicted villager, megaman, wii fit trainer, mii, little mac, and pacman) but it's very disappointing and does not take in account the western audience.

Could you link me this "Sal Leak"?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Could you link me this "Sal Leak"?
Too lazy, but the characters from both leaks are:

"Animal Crossing Guy" (confirmed)
Mega Man (confirmed)
Wii Fit Trainer (confirmed)
Little Mac (confirmed)
Mii
Pac-Man
Palutena
Chrom
Shulk
"Chorus Men" (from Rhythm Heaven)
"Pokemon from X/Y" (confirmed)

Of course, it doesn't actually say that those are ALL the characters.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
if ridley is not in sakurai is either a **** or out of touch with the fanbase
Could you really blame Sakurai if that happens though? He already made clear he doesn't consider Ridley very likely for inclusion a while back, and it's not as if he didn't give any sign he won't be in the new game either.

It's not his fault if people invest too much in a character after that.

I do think Sakurai is probably just teasing and Ridley really is in (after all he never showed him outright like the other bosses), but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he's not.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Could you really blame Sakurai if that happens though? He already made clear he doesn't consider Ridley very likely for inclusion a while back, and it's not as if he didn't give any sign he won't be in the new game either.

It's not his fault if people invest too much in a character after that.

I do think Sakurai is probably just teasing and Ridley really is in (after all he never showed him outright like the other bosses), but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he's not.
yes I do blame him, he got to put personal bias aside and listen to the fans not just include characters he wants. well he can but that makes him a crappy director.

Malle

Smash Apprentice

Mega Man (confirmed)
Little Mac (confirmed)
Mii
Pac-Man
Palutena
Chrom
Shulk

Well, tbh, those are some real boring newcomers (apart from Little Mac and Megaman)
Sure.. I always liked the Fire Emblem characters, but the rest doesn't appeal to me at all. They don't really feel that much of nintendo to me.

Like this Shulk guy, completely overrated wannabe FF character >.>

Edit: I did see that you said it wasn't all, but out of this list this is my impression

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

Mega Man (confirmed)
Little Mac (confirmed)
Mii
Pac-Man
Palutena
Chrom
Shulk

prob is there is another leak tht says there be 48 characters and 4 cuts and if you subtract 4 from the brawl roster(35)+12 predicted newcomers(47) + mewtwo which would not be leaked by him since he not leaking veterans, the roster ends up with 48. Coincidence? I hope so but I don't think it is it lines up to well.

Well, tbh, those are some real boring newcomers (apart from Little Mac and Megaman)
Sure.. I always liked the Fire Emblem characters, but the rest doesn't appeal to me at all. They don't really feel that much of nintendo to me.

Like this Shulk guy, completely overrated wannabe FF character >.>

Edit: I did see that you said it wasn't all, but out of this list this is my impression
give xenoblade a try I thought the same thing but it's actually pretty good, still though it does not help the roster that much.
That will just make people look down on the Smash community even more than they already do, since it will paint all of us as whiners even though it's not everyone in the community doing it (if you want a good example of something like this, look up "Dota 2 Diretide Fiasco" in Google). I can understand your disappointment if it does happen but spamming Sakurai with Tweets and e-mailing Nintendo with complaints won't really do anything except make the Smash community look like a bunch of ******s.
if you don't say nothing things wont get changed, I am not saying go out a flame sakurai the tweets/emails needs to be well written and full of facts.

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
The thing that bothers me is that if they wanted to recreate the battle from Other M so to speak then why make the hole in the wall where Ridley escapes?? I guess it could be just to have a place for Ridley to go in and out of but it's not like he HAS to come from the back ground. He could just as easily come from the side.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The thing that bothers me is that if they wanted to recreate the battle from Other M so to speak then why make the hole in the wall where Ridley escapes?? I guess it could be just to have a place for Ridley to go in and out of but it's not like he HAS to come from the back ground. He could just as easily come from the side.
Recreating Roidley fight is a good idea for SSB4 since no one has such broken ability as Sense Move and it would be impossible to break out of his hand when he is scrapping Samus against wall and then blasts with fire. It will be even better if he would be faster than in OM...but the whole idea is ruined by the fact that BOSS ISN`T SOMETHING RIDLEY DESERVES! HE DESERVES MORE!..right?

D

Deleted member

if you don't say nothing things wont get changed, I am not saying go out a flame sakurai the tweets/emails needs to be well written and full of facts.
Hard to say you need to fill something with facts even though said "facts" would be entirely subjective. And even if some people go about it in a more civil manner, who's to say they won't be outweighed by the bad apples who WOULD relentlessly spam Sakurai and Nintendo with "༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give RIDLEY" messages?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Personally I don't want Stageley, or Roidley (I personally don't have any beef with him), and Radley is just out of the question. I just want good old Ridley and nothing else.
From what we've seen so far, it's definitely Roidley. But if we're super lucky and Ridley's playable, he could have one of his classic skins as an alternate costume. Sakurai's been going at it lately, what with Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, and I'm assuming Wario.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Look if Ridley isn't playable, we need to address Sakurai in a calm intelligent manner that we really want him as a playable character.

How would we do that? No spamming or flaming or Miiverse messaging. That's useless and immature. We need someone to talk to him face-to-face and tell him how much Ridley means to us.

D

Deleted member

Look if Ridley isn't playable, we need to address Sakurai in a calm intelligent manner that we really want him as a playable character.

How would we do that? No spamming or flaming or Miiverse messaging. That's useless and immature. We need someone to talk to him face-to-face and tell him how much Ridley means to us.
Call Venus of the Desert Bloom.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Ok I can confirm too that its not Ridley carring Pikachu....Its at 1:03 mark in this video. You kinda gotta spam the pause/play button and get lucky. You can see Ridley's tail shadow leading up to the tip where the terrian makes Ridley's already zigzag like tail look more like Pikachu's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8

Knowing that we really can't say how big Ridley is now. If someone can get a screen cap it that would be great.

Top Bottom