• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
8 months I think. So even longer. I too am not buying the "he isn't finished yet" garbage.
Is it really garbage when the game is STILL showing off unfinished stuff in the images? Or at least I hope they're unfinished.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
This thread is an absolute disaster. :urg:

How depressing.
Be honest. The only thing that's changed is your perception. Before ShadowGate we were speculating on Ridley's chances based on evidence and probability while dealing with the occasional detractors. Post ShadowGate we're now speculating on Ridley's chances based on evidence and probability while dealing with the occasional detractors.

The Ridley for Smash 4 Thread: Just like Ridley, it's a Disaster by Nature.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Be honest. The only thing that's changed is your perception. Before ShadowGate we were speculating on Ridley's chances based on evidence and probability while dealing with the occasional detractors. Post ShadowGate we're now speculating on Ridley's chances based on evidence and probability while dealing with the occasional detractors.

The Ridley for Smash 4 Thread: Just like Ridley, it's a Disaster by Nature.
oh god history is coming back

if we read the history we avoid repeating it

but if we avoid ever reading it then it doesn't matter what we do because we wouldn't know at all

the point is, history is worthless

Zynux

Smash Lord
Pretty damn disappointed over the backlash to K41Z0's opinion. Yes, it was a dissenting opinion and not one that I agree with, but seriously, that was uncalled for. Also, people equating "trolling" with dissenting opinions just fuels more evidence that the Smash fanbase doesn't seem to know what trolling is. Sigh.

Well as I've mentioned before, it technically would be new for Ridley to be a boss within a normal battle. Perhaps Sakurai wanted people to get excited over how players would have to take on Ridley and what he would be able to do that was different from Yellow Devil. [/devil's advocate]
This is actually how I interpreted the whole situation from the very beginning. With the amount of detail he went into the Yellow Devil, it seems to me that he's hyping up a new mechanic where boss characters take a more direct involvement in the stage and fighting during the match. I find it incredibly plausible this is something any game designer would do, especially Sakurai. To him, and maybe other consumers for this game, the possibility of a Baddy interrupting the fight and messing **** up, and the possibilities of it offering new aspects to the gameplay (him stressing how enemy fighters can work together to take down the Yellow Devil during a match comes to mind) doesn't make me doubt for a minute that this is exactly what's happening right now. From a developer's viewpoint (whether their being ignorant or not is irrelevant), it makes complete sense to hype up something that can be logically viewed as a "new mechanic", or at least an expansion of a previous old one (Stage Hazards). And, as I try to clam down my blood level as I type this, what better way to hype this mechanic up then the Big Bad himself from Metroid?

Of course, I don't think I could even begin to express how infuriated this makes me if such a thing comes true, and I think I already elaborated on this in previous posts. If the Yellow Devil is any indication, then these "boss characters" are nothing more then over-glorified stage hazards that are even more intrusive then they need to be. Worse for me, since most would probably label me as a "tourneytard", if the Yellow Devil is any indication, then I would completely avoid playing Pyrosphere altogether if Ridley is going to be as intrusive as the Yellow Devil will be.

Him ripping off of Ridley's role from another fighting game and never adding a Metroid stage not based around lava or rotation doesn't exactly create a brilliant resume of creativity for the guy, you know. @Wariofan1 only ever attacked his creativity in that regard, he didn't say Sakurai has none whatsoever.
This is probably what frustrates most about the current situation, seriously. If Ridley is fated to be a stage hazard, they won't ever hear the end of it from me. That's beyond lazy, to regurgitate so many ideas that already exists in another game entirely. It's already bad enough that they're rehashing past Metroid stage tropes from previous Smash titles, but now you're going to have Ridley occasionally drop buy and mess **** up? You know, what Dead or Alive already did? Why are you revisiting that concept again? Just wow. Where do I even begin.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Nope, I'm staying here...and here's a little present for you.
Oh bo-Oy-*ahem* I mean, You really couldn't have just said something like "Takes one to know one"

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
You know, what Dead or Alive already did? Why are you revisiting that concept again? Just wow. Where do I even begin.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sakurai is completely unaware of Ridley's presence in Dead or Alive, given the severe lack of attention and care given to Metroid in Smash games so far.

If he is aware, and is still copying DoA, then I don't know what to say.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Although Ridley does eat plenty of people himself
They're good for the skin

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This is kind of unrelated, but I always wanted a Metroid game where Samus is older and has some kind of high-ranking or high-prestige position, and she discovers some more corruption within the Galactic Federation (especially as it would take place after Metroid Fusion). Then she needs to put the suit back on and kick ass again. What I'd like most about this game is if it took place on Galactic Federation hub worlds, sprawling futuristic metropolises to explore, as a departure from the settings in prior games. And you got to see a lot of human and alien characters interacting. I guess Corruption just made me curious with the bounty hunters from different species, and Norion and Elysia and the Space Pirate homeworld and stuff. Also the Coruscant underworld from the Star Wars prequels.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The "he isn't finished yet so he showed his shadow" excuse is Darwin-award worthy.
Do you really think that Sakurai doesn't have Ridley done enough to be shown, but has a perfectly completed SHADOW of him to show?
I mean really HOW CAN SOMEONE THINK THAT. I have no words.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The "he isn't finished yet so he showed his shadow" excuse is Darwin-award worthy.
Do you really think that Sakurai doesn't have Ridley done enough to be shown, but has a perfectly completed SHADOW of him to show?
I mean really HOW CAN SOMEONE THINK THAT. I have no words.
But..."anything can happen!"

andimidna

Smash Master
I hope Goyagma ends up being the Stage Boss/Hazard!

Let's not limit ourselves to it being just one dragon from Pyrosphere :troll:
Plus, that would explain the lava... right?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So with the possibility of Ivysaur being cut, wouldn't Ridley be the only character to fight while being a quadruped, making him even more unique (Pikachu and Diddy are only on all four to run) ?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
God damn. A 1/30th scale Ridley model would cost $160 or so. SAMUS WOULD ONLY BE LIKE $15.

Guess I'll uh.

Save up a little.
I said this yesterday, yet I just now spent $200 on another novelty instead.

But I expect I'll have much more fun with this one.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, goddammit, I owe you guys like three of these things now.

Space Pirate Logs - Entry #4: Day 12
Nothing that's worth mentioning was shown except a weird looking aquatic monster that stalks the seas and devours any nearby fighter.

Space Pirate Logs - Entry #5: Day 13
We got to observe a reptilian beast in its natural habitat, devouring it's unfortunate prey with its incandescent fangs. No updates on Ridley, but we got to take a glance at the dark, merciless beauty of nature as it manifests on the universe.

Space Pirate Logs - Entry #6: Day 14
We finally got updates on Pyrosphere! Unfortunately, the only things shown there were the Hunter fighting an amphibious sapient being capable of throwing its unborn offsprings, which somehow manage to make a light spectrum occur on the atmosphere as it travels through the air. Despite its docile appearance, this being is actually quite weird and even morbid when one thinks about it. We're still to witness any evidence of Ridley, and we're slowly starting to lose patience...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
an amphibious sapient being capable of throwing its unborn offsprings, which somehow manage to make a light spectrum occur on the atmosphere as it travels through the air. Despite its docile appearance, this being is actually quite weird and even morbid when one thinks about it.
LMFAO.

Yoshi's Up B should be renamed to Unfertilized Ovum Toss.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Hmm. I've just started an art class today and had a great time. Currently I'm sketching/coloring my own avatar (minus the wings and shades), but my teacher said I can work on multiple projects during a lesson.

Ridley sounds extremely tempting...

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm honestly amazed anyone believes the "Ridley just isn't finished" thing. At all. I really don't know what to say.

And I'll be even MORE speechless if Sakurai rips off Dead or Alive Dimensions and makes Ridley into a poorly designed boss fight. That would just be the worst combination of things possible for Ridley fans.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If Ridley's shadow happened at say, the first trailer at E3 last year, then maybe I'd buy into the unfinished idea.

But, in reality, the 3DS version of this is coming out in a few months with the Wii U follow not terribly long after. To think that something like a character model not being good enough to show by this point, especially when Sakurai has already pointed out on multiple occasions that the pics shown are a work in progress, is just downright foolish.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm honestly amazed anyone believes the "Ridley just isn't finished" thing. At all. I really don't know what to say.

And I'll be even MORE speechless if Sakurai rips off Dead or Alive Dimensions and makes Ridley into a poorly designed boss fight. That would just be the worst combination of things possible for Ridley fans.
Those has been my thoughts about the whole boss subject.
I would rather have a stage with Nightmare messing with the gravity.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
There's one important factor that nobody is thinking about when it comes to Ridley's chances: color representation

We don't have any purple characters.

Smash needs more purple characters.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I wasn't aware Zelda was purple... I thought her dress was.

Excuse my ignorance.

I'm being super cereal here people... We have white characters, black characters, yellow characters, green characters, blue characters, orange characters, and even pink characters.

Where are the purple characters? If I was a purple person I'd be pretty offended.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Looking at the colors on the main site.

10 Blue

8 Green

2 Red

3 Yellow

1 Orange

2 Pink

1 Purple

1 Greyish.

Sakurai favorite colors blue and green confirmed. Ridley is screwed. (Just kidding)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Looking at the colors on the main site.

10 Blue

8 Green

2 Red

3 Yellow

1 Orange

2 Pink

1 Purple

1 Greyish.

Sakurai favorite colors blue and green confirmed. Ridley is screwed. (Just kidding)
At least flash green os there which is my favorite color Toon link ftw! (Actually, I like him because he's flash green).

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Ridley's shadow happened at say, the first trailer at E3 last year, then maybe I'd buy into the unfinished idea.

But, in reality, the 3DS version of this is coming out in a few months with the Wii U follow not terribly long after. To think that something like a character model not being good enough to show by this point, especially when Sakurai has already pointed out on multiple occasions that the pics shown are a work in progress, is just downright foolish.
Not only this, but we have seen Pyrosphere very far along and apparently finished enough to show us very frequently for at least 6 months. To think that the supposed second stage hazard of the stage would somehow NOT be finished to the point where they can't even SHOW it after at least 6 months? THAT is foolish. And then there is the fact that they STILL showed Ridley at all. If he was so incomplete they COULDN'T show him at all, we wouldn't have seen his shadow and his tail at a major direct. That's some shenanigans.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
and i have no freaking idea why my signature isn't showing....
The permissions were fixed so that now signatures only show up once per page (under your first post on said page).

Watching the Direct, it seemed like bosses would be rare, but major events. Like, only 1 out of 5 times that you played on Wily's Castle would Yellow Devil show up. That's probably pure conjecture on my part, though.
What caught my attention was the comment Sakurai made right before the infamous shadow part:

"In multiplayer, it becomes a competition to see who can take down the (Yellow Devil) boss."

That to me suggests that something else is planned for bosses.

So any bets on when Sakurai will finally let the cat out of the bag about Stage Hazardley?

I am guessing we will know by E3 considering the likely Smash 4 Wii U demo will have the Pyrosphere.
3DS release. Without a doubt. If Ridley is doomed to a hazardous life, then he wouldn't show up on the 3DS version at all, right?

majora_787

Smash Hero
The permissions were fixed so that now signatures only show up once per page (under your first post on said page).

What caught my attention was the comment Sakurai made right before the infamous shadow part:

"In multiplayer, it becomes a competition to see who can take down the (Yellow Devil) boss."

That to me suggests that something else is planned for bosses.

3DS release. Without a doubt. If Ridley is doomed to a hazardous life, then he wouldn't show up on the 3DS version at all, right?
Yep. Since he'd be a Pyrosphere hazardbossfacedragon.

Top Bottom