• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I just don't understand why people still think he's going to be playable when they used Pyrosphere (which is pretty much just the Ridley boss room) as an example of a stage with a boss. It sucks, but I don't get why people still think he has a serious chance. We even saw his shadow, and it was massive, way bigger than a playable character.
Because Sakurai is a troll. We don't know anything for sure until it is confirmed.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Most of us are skeptical about the deal because of the way Ridley has been teased ever since Pyyrosphere reveal.

I mean, every NPC character we've seen so far has been presented in the same manner: the moment Sakurai reveals that character X is in the game, he immediately states that he/she's not going to be playable. There wasn't any stalling from Sakurai, he just went straight to the point.

Some of the anticipated newcomer playable characters, on the other hand, have been hinted ever so often for a long time, with no indication of said character's role in the game, if they even have one. Key example to this point would be Little Mac. We've been teased with the Boxing Ring stage ever since E3, and there was no mention of Little Mac. Some people, naturally, assumed Little Mac was a no go, as the Boxing Ring didn't seem to hail from Punch Out. Then, on February 13, he was announced as a playable character, and the Boxing Ring was confirmed to be his stage all along.

The same thing seems to apply to Ridley. Ever since Pyrosphere, there were hints here and there about Ridley, but no direct mention of him whatsoever. Even after being "confirmed" to be a boss, he was only seen as a shadow, and he wasn't even mentioned by name. In the same video Sakurai straightforwardly disconfirmed Saki, Samurai Goroh, Meowth, Ivysaur and Squirtle (?). Doesn't that raise even the slightest bit of suspicion to you?

NOTE: Palutena seems to be undergoing the same case, though things seem brighter for her than Ridley. Maybe being the goddess of light has more advantages than being a ruthless space dragon.

All in all, I may be right, and I may be wrong. Ridley hasn't exactly collapsed in terms of likelihood, but he's no longer that much of a lock anymore. So while some are sure of his inclusion, they also leave room for concern.
Pyrosphere doesn't look like it has much going on outside of Ridley, unlike Wiley's Castle. My guess is that they're trying to hype the fight itself.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Pyrosphere doesn't look like it has much going on outside of Ridley, unlike Wiley's Castle. My guess is that they're trying to hype the fight itself.
Wily's Castle has moving platforms. Pyrosphere has some variety of lava hazard. One of those things is worse than the other, and moving platforms are not the worse of the two.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
God damn. A 1/30th scale Ridley model would cost $160 or so. SAMUS WOULD ONLY BE LIKE $15.

Guess I'll uh.

Save up a little.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Wily's Castle has moving platforms. Pyrosphere has some variety of lava hazard. One of those things is worse than the other, and moving platforms are not the worse of the two.
We haven't really seen lava act as a hazard in any screenshot yet.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well you see, lava is a special case and doesn't require Sakurai to even suggest the slightest thing about it in any way whatsoever of its nature in relation to the stage, but when you talk about Ridley everything is up in the air and we don't really know anything and can't make any conclusions at all of his fate.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If Sakurai didnt care that he made the omnipotent Mewtwo weaker than petite-pokemon Pichu, I think the monstrous Ridley could be smaller than under-a-dime Olimar and I would be okay with it.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Pic of the day. Don't eat him. You can't eat him.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Honestly I don't know why Sakurai is not just showing us Ridley and dragging things out like this all I know is that there are a couple of theories why:

#1. Ridley is actually playable and Sakurai is just teasing him.
This is a more positive and hopeful outlook on this situation.

#2. Ridely isn't playable and Sakurai is being a jerk about it.

This is the cynical and pissed off outlook. I'm not one of these guys.

#3. Ridley isn't playable but Sakurai wants to create hype to get more people interested in the game.
This one is a possibility, but I don't really think toying with our expectation to this extreme would be necessary for hype.

#4. Ridley isn't playable but Sakurai believes we'll be excited to see Ridley as a stage hazard.

This is the belief that Sakurai is misguided and doesn't really understand how much fans want Ridley playable. He believes Ridely fans just want him in the game in any form and not necessarily as a playable character. This is what I fear is most likely.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
And yet the lava disappears on the Final Destination version of the stage. If it has nothing to do with being a stage hazard, why would an iconic aesthetic component of the pyrosphere be removed from the Final Destination version? There is no reason for it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I suppose you have a point. Well who know right now.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think I might have two solutions to the Ridley problem that counteract the whole too big, awkward body shape and stage hazard argument.

&

Which solution do you prefer?

<spoiler> Don't hurt me </spoiler>

Malle

Smash Apprentice
This reminds me of when Tom Nook was seen on the Smashville stage. People said that Nook still had a chance even though he appeared, because you saw Tom Nooks in other towns, which was true. However, from a visual standpoint, it would be weird to fight Ridley as Ridley, when you never see more than one in a game. Again, this is Nintendo's take on it based on previous cases, not mine. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with it. I think Ridley would have been a perfect fighter and while a bit of a challenge, he could have been made to work. If they can make a full moveset and balance Captain Falcon, a character that doesn't even leave his racer, they can do anything. It's a shame they didn't take the opportunity.
So.. Zero suit fighting Samus and Shiek fighting Zelda isn't weird at all you mean?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
So.. Zero suit fighting Samus and Shiek fighting Zelda isn't weird at all you mean?
Not only that you can choose 4 of the same characters. 4 BOWSERS ON PYROSHERE RUNINED FOREVER!!!! "Looks weird"

I personally think the gaint spiked turtle man, the gorilla wearing a tie, the penguin with thumbs and the tiny fire ball throwing plumber fighting eachother is weird.

http://mii-gamer.com/wp-content/upl...-wii-u-donkey-kong-king-dedede-and-bowser.jpg

Donkey Kong in the picture above is how I feel about some of the arguments in this thread.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Not only that you can choose 4 of the same characters. 4 BOWSERS ON PYROSHERE RUNINED FOREVER!!!! "Looks weird"

I personally think the gaint spiked turtle man, the gorilla wearing a tie, the penguin with thumbs and the tiny fire ball throwing plumber fighting eachother is weird.

http://mii-gamer.com/wp-content/upl...-wii-u-donkey-kong-king-dedede-and-bowser.jpg

Donkey Kong in the picture above is how I feel about some of the arguments in this thread.
JUST a fat italian plumber jumping several feet high that eats mushrooms to grow is weird. EVERYTHING IN NINTENDO FRANCHISES IS WEIRD. Even Samus (woman in power suit with weapons that basicly tell physics to f*** off) and Ridley (anorexic space dragon).

I think I might have two solutions to the Ridley problem that counteract the whole too big, awkward body shape and stage hazard argument.

&

Which solution do you prefer?

Don't hurt me
I prefer Project M/SSB4 playable Ridley over them.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

ROB: "Do you love me now?"

ME: "F*** NO! AND I NEVER WILL! SO GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY AND GIVE ME MY FREAKING PLAYABLE RIDLEY!"

ROB: "BUT-"

ME: "SHUT THE F*** UP AND GO AWAY OR I WILL TURN YOU INTO JUNK!

1644857885_tumblr_mdbd1yZggp1rrecjho1_500_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

AND I'M SERIOUS!"

I needed to do that.....(sorry that i did not draw something...its early in the morning....)

Last edited:

AndreaAC

But why not in your classic style with some Ridley?..
Because my poor Ridley wants to sleep....it's 5:00 in the morning...

E2A571_0D70BF4F81384_000.gif

that and my hand hurts...i did that gif yesterday...or another day...i do not remember...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Because my poor Ridley wants to sleep....it's 5:00 in the morning...

View attachment 12926

that and my hand hurts...i did that gif yesterday...or another day...i do not remember...
I think it was made in this month, but not on this week.
And i think that image with...um...that guy...must be ridlified.
You mean just like the time Toad was shown off as Peach's neutral special again and somehow that made the chances much more likely?
No, Toad WAS shown normaly, while Ridley wasn`t fully shown alongside other fighters. Only his shadow and tail spike, which is a lot less that the entire body in hands of another character. And i think Toad shouldn`t be in ssb4 to be honest because its a generic character and there is already 5 major mario characters that has more importance to the plot that toad does as far as i know while ridley is one of the 2 main characters of the Metroid universe, other one is Samus herself. And Ridley`s shadow only made Ridley`s chances lower without lowering them to 0.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I think it was made in this month, but not on this week.
And i think that image with...um...that guy...must be ridlified.
um no...really i did it on tuesday...i think...but this site has been offline so many times that i couldn't post it before....xD and i have no idea how to put Ridley's face on that guy dressed as an Assassin...i could have drawn Ridley dressed as an Assassin AGAIN...but its early in the morning....and im also hungry...so i can't draw nothing...

Cpt.

Smash Lord
You mean just like the time Toad was shown off as Peach's neutral special again and somehow that made the chances much more likely?
Um, no. That's not at all the same.... What?

Toad being shown off as a move confirms him for being a move.

Ridley's shadow being shown off as ____ confirms Ridley for ____ BECAUSE WE DON"T KNOW WHAT HE WAS SHOWN OFF AS (we didn't even see him still -_-)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
um no...really i did it on tuesday...i think...but this site has been offline so many times that i couldn't post it before....xD and i have no idea how to put Ridley's face on that guy dressed as an Assassin...i could have drawn Ridley dressed as an Assassin AGAIN...but its early in the morning....and im also hungry...so i can't draw nothing...
You could just make "Heeeeere`s Ridley!" (like one of those scenes from The Shining, but with Ridley instead of the father of the boy in the scene were he said "Heeeeere`s Johnny!" or something like that) image then...maybe with an axe and a hood...

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

ROB: "Do you love me now?"

ME: "F*** NO! AND I NEVER WILL! SO GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY AND GIVE ME MY FREAKING PLAYABLE RIDLEY!"

ROB: "BUT-"

ME: "SHUT THE F*** UP AND GO AWAY OR I WILL TURN YOU INTO JUNK!

View attachment 12925

AND I'M SERIOUS!"

I needed to do that.....(sorry that i did not draw something...its early in the morning....and i would also love to turn ROB into junk using a Tomahawk....really)
You know how Ridley dies in Metroid Prime?

Ps: I like Ridley and want him to be playable but nothing gets in the way of me and my R.O.B.

AndreaAC

You could just make "Heeeeere`s Ridley!" (like one of those scenes from The Shining, but with Ridley instead of the father of the boy in the scene were he said "Heeeeere`s Johnny!" or something like that) image then...maybe with an axe and a hood...
xD I never thought of that....and now that i remember...it is the same image they use for the Villager.... Then again...i have no idea how to do that with photos....i may draw more Ridley stuff (and maybe that) later....its still early in the morning....

@8-bit Man oh, I'm sorry...really... :/ i did not know that....

Last edited:

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I don't know why Sakurai is not just showing us Ridley and dragging things out like this all I know is that there are a couple of theories why:

#1. Ridley is actually playable and Sakurai is just teasing him.
This is a more positive and hopeful outlook on this situation.
#2. Ridely isn't playable and Sakurai is being a jerk about it.
This is the cynical and pissed off outlook. I'm not one of these guys.

#3. Ridley isn't playable but Sakurai wants to create hype to get more people interested in the game.
This one is a possibility, but I don't really think toying with our expectation to this extreme would be necessary for hype.
#4. Ridley isn't playable but Sakurai believes we'll be excited to see Ridley as a stage hazard.
This is the belief that Sakurai is misguided and doesn't really understand how much fans want Ridley playable. He believes Ridely fans just want him in the game in any form and not necessarily as a playable character. This is what I fear is most likely.
I think #5 is likely: Ridley isn't playable and his design as a boss isn't finished yet (the Wii U version won't be out for 6+ months), but Sakurai thought showing his shadow right now would get it out of the way and let people down easy.

Because Sakurai is a troll. We don't know anything for sure until it is confirmed.
Sakurai is quirky and unpredictable, and I do think there's some small chance he could still be playable. But it's not likely, and you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment by overanalyzing things.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think #5 is likely: Ridley isn't playable and his design as a boss isn't finished yet (the Wii U version won't be out for 6+ months), but Sakurai thought showing his shadow right now would get it out of the way and let people down easy.
Sakurai is quirky and unpredictable, and I do think there's some small chance he could still be playable. But it's not likely, and you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment by overanalyzing things.
*presses shoot in the head button...then realizes it doesn`t exists yet* Then WHY NOT SAY THAT HE IS A BOSS WHILE SHOWING HIS SHADOW. Its better than force his supporters to wait until E3 or game`s release while analyzing everything. So, #5 is unlikely. And he would have been finished already since pysosphere is a stage for at least 5 months.
EDIT/Added: We are just analyzing things to know, not to make ourselves happy that "WOW HE IS TOTALY PLAYABLE! W00T!", but, instead, that "Well, there is possibility that this shadow does belongs to a playable ridley because *insert result of the analyzis here*, but there is still small possibility that its not true because its still only facts and nothing more than that."

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
*presses shoot in the head button...then realizes it doesn`t exists yet* Then WHY NOT SAY THAT HE IS A BOSS WHILE SHOWING HIS SHADOW. Its better than force his supporters to wait until E3 or game`s release. So, #5 is unlikely. And he would have been finished already since pysosphere is a stage for at least 5 months.
8 months I think. So even longer. I too am not buying the "he isn't finished yet" garbage.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
8 months I think. So even longer. I too am not buying the "he isn't finished yet" garbage.
Would you buy same theory, but from the opposite side (playable character is unfinished)? Like an beta/alpha version of him that was shown to tease ridley4smashers.
EDIT: Also, i noticed that his animation was kinda choppy/not-so-fluid/not very smooth for a boss or a finished playable character. Maybe its just the video (Possible Metroid Newcomers video that last ~30 minutes) had a bit cropped/buggy/lagged/whatever version of that portion of Direct. This could have been a placeholder/place holder/place-holder/unfinished version of/simplified version of animation.
And is it just me or i just started to post something other than art, something off-topic or just answers to questions or something like that?

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I feel like you guys get a little too heated sometimes
God damn. A 1/30th scale Ridley model would cost $160 or so. SAMUS WOULD ONLY BE LIKE $15.

Guess I'll uh.

Save up a little.
Or you could buy a 3D printer and start a business selling these Nintendo models.

If you ever got noticed, you might even profit before getting slapped with lawsuits. Unless you could play it off as fanart? I'm actually not sure where 3D printed models would fall. huh.

Also I have to say #4 is most likely at this point.

#5 could be legitimate, seeing as the 3DS version is coming out first, so they're putting all their resources into that to get it done, and leaving the wii u one, but it still feels kinda garbo.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Another pyrosphere picture and he survives another one

But the last part was weird about today's pictures quote

Every staff member is working hard as we brush up whatever we can

And something you guys did not think about sakurai mention on the direct some stuff may be changed despite what you see so ridley shadow flying could get changed to walking on the ground but not the grabbing pikachu foot thing

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Hey guys, pull up your big boy pants.

I'm making a video about Ridley, trying to get through everything up to this point. Should be up by the end of this week, and I'll post it here.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I feel like you guys get a little too heated sometimes
Or you could buy a 3D printer and start a business selling these Nintendo models.
If you ever got noticed, you might even profit before getting slapped with lawsuits. Unless you could play it off as fanart? I'm actually not sure where 3D printed models would fall. huh.
Or make thousends of them and send all of them to either Sakurai or to the most active ridley supporters...including me!..and OblivionWolf...and AndreaAC...and samusrules93...an- you`ve got me, right? Selling them is impossible without getting promptly shot by lawsuits (i just love saying this 2 words!).
And HELL YES, we are heated when we notice someone who doesn`t brings normal arguments or doesn`t analyzes things/makes research before going here. Reaserch also should include reading ENTIRE THREAD, like i did. No, really, WHERE ARE MY "PROMPTLY SHOOT THAT GUY!" BUTTON?!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I'm making a video about Ridley, trying to get through everything up to this point. Should be up by the end of this week, and I'll post it here.
What will be included in it and will it be about his chances in general or after the direct? About what will be included, i mean proofs, arguments, important notes, etc. Or you don`t want to spoil everything?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
And HELL YES, we are heated when we notice someone who doesn`t brings normal arguments or doesn`t analyzes things/makes research before going here. Reaserch also should include reading ENTIRE THREAD, like i did. No, really, WHERE ARE MY "PROMPTLY SHOOT THAT GUY!" BUTTON?!
yeah, but like, outright being mean to people is not ok. even if they come in doubting ridley. Argue with steady logic and a cool head, if you resort to shoot that guy nobody wins. you may be surprised how many people came here doubting and are now friends.

There is no way in hell you could make me read this entire thread if I were new here...

Mine are still in the wash I spilled apple juice on them :urg:

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Ok but us still hopeful might point out stuff you missed when finished
Pardon?

What will be included in it and will it be about his chances in general or after the direct? About what will be included, i mean proofs, arguments, important notes, etc. Or you don`t want to spoil everything?
Well I go through the cases for and against his inclusion, to the point before the direct, then I go through what the shadow adds or detracts from the argument and then ultimately what his fate is.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Not sure if this helps with anything but here is a picture of Bullet Bill on Pyroshere.

http://rosalina-luma.deviantart.com/art/Bullet-Bill-in-Smash-Bros-446614132

Here are 2 pictures from a different thread.

http://i.imgur.com/L3Xzet9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YNzk1mc.jpg

And here is picture of Pyroshere with Andross and Kirby.

http://turntherightcorner.com/2014/...er-smash-bros-2014-wii-u-andross-assist/#main

I don't know if Bullet Bills shadow can help us in anyway compared to the Ridey shadow and im not seeing an Andross shadow. Hope this helps someone.

Top Bottom