• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I see Ridley's weight being either around the same as Samus, or maybe a little lighter. He is quite bony, but in the Metroid series, he has always been depicted as large and (presumably) heavier than Samus, so downing his weight, though not to extreme light levels when scaling down his size for Smash 4 isn't a stretch.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Ridley should be heavier than Samus, but Samus needs to be lighter than she has been in smash. Its not like the suit is a hunk of metal, its focused energy. She really should weigh the same amount as ZSS but be a bit floatier.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think Ridley's Other M form would actually be pretty good for smash. Maybe it's just me, but it seems more close to... I dunno. Reasonably humanoid? Than Meta Ridley? Plus size arguments are silly, and there really are extremely few characters who deserve a roster slot as much as Ridley.

Hopefully we won't have any more unfortunate mishaps with Ridley threads? :p I wouldn't want to see those "banned" again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Frankly, THE Ridley is a better rep, as he actually has a stronger rivalry towards Samus than the Ridley from Other M.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Frankly, THE Ridley is a better rep, as he actually has a stronger rivalry towards Samus than the Ridley from Other M.
... I think that's a tad nitpicky isn't it? : P The design they use will just be whatever is easiest and most relevant at the time.

And in all seriousness it'd probably just be the Other M design. But You never know.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Okay, we're all talking about Ridley.

We don't have to worry about it being the parasitic version of a reborn clone of the original. They'll find a design

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Ridley's design is arbitrary. In Other M, the art style makes it so that - assuming you're looking at the world of Metroid with this art style in mind - Ridley will appear the same in his older appearances as he does in Other M, since in Other M, the Ridley encountered here is a clone of the original, if that makes sense.

Keep in mind, this was Ridley's original art design in the first Metroid:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm probably the only one who thinks they'll give Ridley an original design by mixing classic Ridley with Other M Ridley, kinda like they did with the Star Fox characters in Brawl.

The other Ridley designs can be alternate colors, Original (Blue), SM (Red), Zero Mission (Black).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm probably the only one who thinks they'll give Ridley an original design by mixing classic Ridley with Other M Ridley, kinda like they did with the Star Fox characters in Brawl.

The other Ridley designs can be alternate colors, Original (Blue), SM (Red), Zero Mission (Black).
I like that idea, actually. In hindsight, it would probably be the most likely route they go with for Ridley's Smash 4 design. Good job.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Ridley's design is arbitrary. In Other M, the art style makes it so that - assuming you're looking at the world of Metroid with this art style in mind - Ridley will appear the same in his older appearances as he does in Other M, since in Other M, the Ridley encountered here is a clone of the original, if that makes sense.

Keep in mind, this was Ridley's original art design in the first Metroid:

Oh god, lord that is ugly.

D

Deleted member

I feel Ridley should be bigger than Oasis' image.
I mean, no one important said Bowser had to be the largest character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ridley's so big he needed multiple threads. :troll:

But in all seriousness, he's the character Smash 4 needs. And deserves.

I'd love to see him, especially with the Command Grab.

Jakor

Smash Ace
A second Metroid rep is long overdue in Smash, and there is no better choice than Ridley to fill that role, being a major character in the series and all that. I expect him to become the biggest character in Smash.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I like how the other Ridley thread is dead last on the pages.

Let's see, about weight: who cares if he's lighter than Samus. You're not even going to notice. Weight was never meant to make sense. More than anything it's a factor of balance.

About size: No one said Bowser has to be the biggest, but I just think that's appropriate.

About thread: YOU KNOW, I was apart of that R.I.D.L.E.Y. Club that got the threads banned last time... Though I was a loser that didn't participate. It's too bad, Ridley would have been proud.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I participated, when it wasn't against Geno at least. It was fun

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Oasis S said:
Let's see, about weight: who cares if he's lighter than Samus. You're not even going to notice. Weight was never meant to make sense. More than anything it's a factor of balance.
I noticed that Snake was way, way, too bloody heavy, and that Mewtwo was way, way, way too bloody light.

If Ridley is not as heavy as he should be it won't go un-noticed.

He doesn't have to be the heaviest, what with balancing purposes, but then again I still think he could be 1.5x as big as Bowser and fit in fine.

It's only limited by Sakurai's incompetency.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I came here to say Ridley is too purple to be playable, but then I read this jokers comment? Psh. Like to see you develope a three game series better.

I prefer Geno over Ridley, if I state it like a fact, does it make me look cool or sound correct? #*******
:phone:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
mastergamer over here can obviously remake the smash series better himself and go through all the pressure and whatever else Sakurai did. No sweat

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't mind Ridley being playable. He looks pretty fun to play as which is fine by me. :)

His importance increased by every smash bros game (Being just a background character in the first. A trophy and intro character in Melee. A Boss (twice) as well as trophies and stickers etc in Brawl.) It may be his big chance this time.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think we can all agree that Ridley's final smash should involve him getting his lives back. Because quite frankly, RIDLEY NEVER DIES!!! :awesome:
I'm pretty sure he's dead for good at the end of fusion.

They haven't made a game past fusion yet to prove me right or wrong though. Maybe that's why they haven't though

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ridley should inflate to the size of the screen for his Final Smash. It will be called, "Ridley's True Size".

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
mastergamer over here can obviously remake the smash series better himself and go through all the pressure and whatever else Sakurai did. No sweat
I don't have Nintendo throwing money and a team of developers at me to make a game that will sell entirely based off the names of a handful of characters.

All the good things about Smash Bros. come from his team, the engine, and the crossover - it has very high production quality. Sakurai's design decisions have been consistently driving the series into the ground.

No, not just from a competitive perspective. That universally criticized SSE was added in over tons of more characters, according to Sakurai.

I would go into more detail if this wouldn't push the thread dreadfully off-topic.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I love how this thread is the center of all the attention!

He should at least have Little Birdie in his moveset. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Whenever Ridley gets KO'd, he comes back as Little Birdie. Then as the match goes on, he grows to the Mysterious Creature, then back to Ridley. :troll:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm pretty sure he's dead for good at the end of fusion.

They haven't made a game past fusion yet to prove me right or wrong though. Maybe that's why they haven't though
Well, he was frozen/preserved in Other M, and he was still alive. Also, there could be more than one Ridley. ;)
All the good things about Smash Bros. come from his team, the engine, and the crossover - it has very high production quality. Sakurai's design decisions have been consistently driving the series into the ground.
Because Game Arts (the primary developer of Brawl) did such a good job on TNMT Smash with the same gameplay and without Sakurai. :rolleyes: That game was real competitive! :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

Other M came before Fusion chronologically.
Neo Ridley was the X-Parasite form of the Other M clone.

EDIT: Also, TMNT Smash-Up wasn't that bad of a game. As a Smash expy, it sucked, but if you don't factor that part in, it was fun to play.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like the idea of Ridley crawling on all fours, but please; let's keep the design for Ridley based off of Super Metroid (or Metroid Prime).

@ Golden
TMNT Smash may be fun, but we all have come to expect more out of smash. That game isn't anywhere near a 1/10th as good as Smash 64 and Melee.

D

Deleted member

I like the idea of Ridley crawling on all fours, but please; let's keep the design for Ridley based off of Super Metroid (or Metroid Prime).

@ Golden
TMNT Smash may be fun, but we all have come to expect more out of smash. That game isn't anywhere near a 1/10th as good as Smash 64 and Melee.
If it was meant to be an exact Smash clone, then yes, I would heavily criticize it, however, it was only inspiried by certain elements of Smash, and made into an amalgam of Smash and traditional fighting games while playing off of Smash's success by using "Made by the dudes that brought you Super Smash Bros. Brawl!" in order to boost sales.

Granted, people took that as "oh, this is going to be a clone." and showed disgust over major differences.

Now, Punch Time Explosion, yeah, one can criticize that comparing it to Smash, since well, it was meant to be a full clone. And yes, while I enjoy it at times, it really pales in comparison.

EDIT: And that has nothing to do with Ridley.
To be fair, the walking on fours like Other M seems to only work for Other M's body frame. I'm trying to picture Brawl Ridley walking like Other M Ridley, and it's looking quite awkward...

D

Deleted member

That's Omega Ridley. I mean Brawl Ridley a.k.a. Super Metroid artwork Ridley.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I imagine Ridley crawling kinda like the dragon in the Disney movie Sleeping Beauty! :chuckle:

Surprisingly, it looks pretty good... IN MY MIND! :psycho:

(that dragon was also purple, oddly enough)

@ Golden
I'm just pointing out how Sakurai just makes smash better. That's my tl;dr version of what I was trying to say! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Oh. Well that goes without saying. People that say that Sakurai should leave just because of Brawl are idiots. :laugh:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Regarding Ridley's Final Smash, I was thinking Omega Ridley, but Ridley only became Omega Ridley while in his Meta Ridley state.

[collapse=Artwork]
[/collapse]

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well if Ridley is based off his Meta Ridley appearance, that would make sense.

And if he's based off his classic purple appearance (with the Super Metroid body), that still wouldn't confuse most smashers. After all, few of them know that much about Metroid in general (outside of Samus), much less Ridley! :chuckle:

Top Bottom