• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Randomness of Turnips

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I think this needs it's own thread.

I have some questions but I'm not sure what is myth and what is fact.

1) Do the turnips just go through a cycle? If so what is the cycle? Does anyone know?
2) Does the stage, character, color of outfit, moves, ect, affect the randomness of the turnips?
3) How is what turnip you pull decided?

Links would be appreciated.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This kind of has its own thread http://smashboards.com/threads/peach-data-and-notes.309178/

There should be a table that shows the chances of getting each turnip. Turnips have no cycle, but since it is probability based, the more chances you pull the more chances of getting the desired outcome. Stages and characters have no known effects on turnip probability, it's strictly RNG based; I don't know all the technical logic behind it, but I'm guessing it's some sort of logic like If DownB, Then Select from Turnips Based on Probability.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Don't take offense, but I think you're wrong (not sure, just pretty sure) about how the turnips are chosen.

I remember a list of 800 frames that would always give out the same turnips. It was made using TAS to test. I'm pretty sure, in TAS, if you pull a turnip out on one frame, the turnip will always be the same no matter how many times you pull it. I don't know where this page went though.

Is anyone sure it's not a cycle? Also, does anyone know anything else about how the turnips are decided? I haven't been able to find much information.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
No offense taken, I could definitely be wrong haha! There is this picture that is a sum-up of turnip probabilties too. I'll put it below. I haven't looked too much into the mechanisms of it all. So it's definitely possible you could mess with the RNG in some way, but don't quote me on that. I've had experience on exploiting RNG in Fire Emblem games, but that's hardly saying anything haha. Hopefully someone more knowledgable on mechanics can help you out!!
Here is the picture in question:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
I've actually heard also that there is something to do with the frame upon which it's pulled. And if you pulled on the exact frame you could get a stitch every time. But that's just a rumor that has been going around, not entirely sure if true

Top Bottom