• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
There's obviously respect in here. I'm not sure where you're hanging but I've found a good deal of Krystal support on the board. Outside of here though it's mostly just, "yeah, she could be cool, but Wolf is getting priority". I don't argue that Wolf will get priority and frankly I want him in and I think he should never have been cut to begin with. I also believe he's all but confirmed at this point. Basically, I understand that feeling. What I've noticed though is that people aren't so much against her as they just don't see Star Fox getting two reps. Honestly, that's a much better reason than I've seen in places.

Gamefaqs has a population that simply doesn't like her for no good reason. I'm sure there's those kinds of people on Smashboards, but I've seen relatively very little of that. It's a shame she has this unfair reputation in places. It seems really unjustified in just about every case I've heard. I can understand wanting other characters more, but hating a character is just ridiculous. I don't think there's even a video game character I can think of that I "hate", maybe just don't like of find as interesting as some.
I'm actually just in the leak thread, someone said she had no chance because "omgersh WOLF" and I tried to fix that by saying no one has zero chance especially because of another character. Then it went on and on someone decided to be a jerk and bring up crap that didn't matter like "her fanbase isn't big just loud" and even go as far as to saying I'm just some obsessive person that we should ignore. Isn't that what being a supporter is about? Supporting our character and if he/she is under fire defend? It's not like I was flaming and calling them names. All I was saying is NOONE knows who and who isn't going to make it. Saying they won't make it for that reason alone is just... ignorant.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Golden can get pretty heated in arguments easily.
Make sure you say the right words or he'll just get mad at ya. :p
Wait... How did..?

YOU!

You've been the one silently backing me up with the likes XD I knew you were a friend T^T
Noted by the way. Honestly the guy is a bit irrational and somewhat selfish. That's all I'm going to say. Who knows underneath it all he might be a good cookie.... Hopefully.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
He knows so so so much when it comes to Nintendo and especially Smash, he knows far more than me.
He's pretty friendly and funny guy for the most part, but if you just argue with Golden without thinking it through first, he'll just completely decimate you with his knowledge.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm actually just in the leak thread, someone said she had no chance because "omgersh WOLF" and I tried to fix that by saying no one has zero chance especially because of another character. Then it went on and on someone decided to be a jerk and bring up crap that didn't matter like "her fanbase isn't big just loud" and even go as far as to saying I'm just some obsessive person that we should ignore. Isn't that what being a supporter is about? Supporting our character and if he/she is under fire defend? It's not like I was flaming and calling them names. All I was saying is NOONE knows who and who isn't going to make it. Saying they won't make it for that reason alone is just... ignorant.
Golden can get pretty heated in arguments easily.
Make sure you say the right words or he'll just get mad at ya. :p
I haven't had a look but it doesn't sound like a big deal really. Seems like it's kinda just one guy maybe. I'm not sure what "the leak" thread is but it sounds like a place that might be volatile given the purpose of the thread, heh. I wouldn't be surprised if things just easily get argumentative in there regardless of the subject.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Gamefaqs has a population that simply doesn't like her for no good reason. I'm sure there's those kinds of people on Smashboards, but I've seen relatively very little of that. It's a shame she has this unfair reputation in places. It seems really unjustified in just about every case I've heard. I can understand wanting other characters more, but hating a character is just ridiculous. I don't think there's even a video game character I can think of that I "hate", maybe just don't like of find as interesting as some.
From what I've seen and heard, GameFAQs' forums have a lot of vitriol...and a lot of series genwunners as well.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
He knows so so so much when it comes to Nintendo and especially Smash, he knows far more than me.
He's pretty friendly and funny guy for the most part, but if you just argue with Golden without thinking it through first, he'll just completely decimate you with his knowledge.
I was thinking it through. I just didn't think enough on Ridley's behalf and messed up my wording because I was upset about the fact noone at the time was actually trying to help me. Also I wouldn't call his argument/flamey post knowledge. Far from it really. If that's the best he's got then I'm not impressed. He could've handled his actions a lot better than that. What he did was childish but that's what I'd expect from the internet. To not stir the pot anymore I'm dropping it... or I'm going to try at least.

I haven't had a look but it doesn't sound like a big deal really. Seems like it's kinda just one guy maybe. I'm not sure what "the leak" thread is but it sounds like a place that might be volatile given the purpose of the thread, heh. I wouldn't be surprised if things just easily get argumentative in there regardless of the subject.
It's not really just one person heck the guy who made me want to speak out isn't even the same guy who decided to just be a jerk. However I just felt overwhelmed over the fact no one was there to back me up for the majority of it. I said some things that I didn't mean to say in that context and it blew up in my face. I'm over it now I just hope everyone will shut up about it. I at least made my point. I just wish people didn't drag stuff out to the point it just gets dumb.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Looking at the "Rate Their Chances" thread and I have to say I'm saddened by the fact that some Krystal haters came out of the woodwork. I've seen more "I just don't see the appeal" people, which is fine... but there's a few "ew furries" people and that's such a silly reason to not want Krystal. There is that stigma though. Still, I'd rather see legitimate reasons and not that completely shallow excuse. I have a lot of respect for her supporters since they have to deal with this kind of thing like few other fanbases do. Every character fanbase has it's share of people that are the opposite, but Krystal really gets a uniquely deep cutting and baseless kind of disrespect.

We just gotta keep smiling and show why we like her. Show all the great reasons. And take some comfort in knowing that we've thought about why. If you vote in the "Rate Their Chances" thread, don't be quick to debate people who don't have actual arguments against her since it'll be a waste. We can set an example without causing a stir.

It's not really just one person heck the guy who made me want to speak out isn't even the same guy who decided to just be a jerk. However I just felt overwhelmed over the fact no one was there to back me up for the majority of it. I said some things that I didn't mean to say in that context and it blew up in my face. I'm over it now I just hope everyone will shut up about it. I at least made my point. I just wish people didn't drag stuff out to the point it just gets dumb.
Sorry I wasn't there to help... although I'm not much for arguing. Lots of times there's no real argument and just a conflict of opinion that's unlikely to see a resolution.

Last edited:

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the "Rate Their Chances" thread and I have to say I'm saddened by the fact that some Krystal haters came out of the woodwork. I've seen more "I just don't see the appeal" people, which is fine... but there's a few "ew furries" people and that's such a silly reason to not want Krystal. There is that stigma though. Still, I'd rather see legitimate reasons and not that completely shallow excuse. I have a lot of respect for her supporters since they have to deal with this kind of thing like few other fanbases do. Every character fanbase has it's share of people that are the opposite, but Krystal really gets a uniquely deep cutting and baseless kind of disrespect.

We just gotta keep smiling and show why we like her. Show all the great reasons. And take some comfort in knowing that we've thought about why. If you vote in the "Rate Their Chances" thread, don't be quick to debate people who don't have actual arguments against her since it'll be a waste. We can set an example without causing a stir.

Sorry I wasn't there to help... although I'm not much for arguing. Lots of times there's no real argument and just a conflict of opinion that's unlikely to see a resolution.
Not wanting because "ew furries" is dumb. Real talk though if going by that then they need to cut Sonic and the other Starfox characters and the Pokemon. Anyone else I'm missing here? That argument is just flat out unjustifiable but don't let it get to you because all you have to do is say what I just said and believe me they'll rethink that. Plus Nintendo could give any crap less about what gets posted on rule 34 and other um... unique sites. It's really true Krystal just doesn't get the respect she deserves and for no good reason either. The haters will not win this I promise you that.

Also it's not your fault you don't even know where the place is. It's one of those places you gotta get invited too. Thank you for your words though. It means a lot.

Not to sound mushy, but for some reason despite all of this I'm glad at least finally I feel apart of things. I have so many weird emotions. Being a Smash fan is like a roller-coaster in a way. I'm gonna shush now I just weirded myself out.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Eh, the "Rate the DLC Character" thread doesn't really bother me. Rarely have I found good arguments. Some of the pros and cons have good arguments. Others like to attack each other. I don't know why, but whatever.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
You know, I stay away from GameFAQs, and Ir's best we pretend that site doesn't exist
I get on the Animal Crossing side of GameFAQs to trade but it seems like it's not worth it because people scammed you like noone's business over there. As for the Smash Bros side it's... just a big fat joke.

For Smashbros by far this is the place to be. At least it's worked out so far for me anyways.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I get on the Animal Crossing side of GameFAQs to trade but it seems like it's not worth it because people scammed you like noone's business over there. As for the Smash Bros side it's... just a big fat joke.

For Smashbros by far this is the place to be. At least it's worked out so far for me anyways.
Exactly, I have not really had a problem here, I can openly talk about Krystal, without hassling, unlike at a certain biased site, who's name is not going to be mentioned

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
You know, I stay away from GameFAQs, and Ir's best we pretend that site doesn't exist
Oh my god. The GameFAQA board the other day...It was so bad I had to leave that board and go back to my other board I go to a lot.
From what I've seen and heard, GameFAQs' forums have a lot of vitriol...and a lot of series genwunners as well.
You have no idea. Other there if it isn't Melee to most people then the game is garbage with no hope of getting better.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I honestly can't stand people who hate on others just for who they support. Like, why do you even care what characters I want? I feel like the haters jab us with the furry title just for amusement. I also feel like they just use furries as an excuse to hate on the character and the supporters. Its unfair. All I can say is that I'm glad threads like these exist because I am relieved knowing I am not the only one who supports the character and that I can get away from those bullies.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I honestly can't stand people who hate on others just for who they support. Like, why do you even care what characters I want? I feel like the haters jab us with the furry title just for amusement. I also feel like they just use furries as an excuse to hate on the character and the supporters. Its unfair. All I can say is that I'm glad threads like these exist because I am relieved knowing I am not the only one who supports the character and that I can get away from those bullies.
I always find it funny how they take a jab at Krystal being Furbait, let, as someone from the Furry Community I can tell you Fox and Wolf are just as much as a target as Krystal. And don't even get me started with the Sonic community.

They don't even know the things that I've see done to Lucario either. Let, Krystal is the one singled out. Its such a double standard.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I always find it funny how they take a jab at Krystal being Furbait, let, as someone from the Furry Community I can tell you Fox and Wolf are just as much as a target as Krystal. And don't even get me started with the Sonic community.

They don't even know the things that I've see done to Lucario either. Let, Krystal is the one singled out. Its such a double standard.
Fortunately, it's a double standard I doubt the developers would focus too much on as long as the potential is there. Remember how many people hated Bowser Jr., then changed their minds when they saw him in action? I thought he was unnecessary myself, at first...

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Not wanting because "ew furries" is dumb. Real talk though if going by that then they need to cut Sonic and the other Starfox characters and the Pokemon. Anyone else I'm missing here? That argument is just flat out unjustifiable but don't let it get to you because all you have to do is say what I just said and believe me they'll rethink that. Plus Nintendo could give any crap less about what gets posted on rule 34 and other um... unique sites. It's really true Krystal just doesn't get the respect she deserves and for no good reason either. The haters will not win this I promise you that.

Also it's not your fault you don't even know where the place is. It's one of those places you gotta get invited too. Thank you for your words though. It means a lot.

Not to sound mushy, but for some reason despite all of this I'm glad at least finally I feel apart of things. I have so many weird emotions. Being a Smash fan is like a roller-coaster in a way. I'm gonna shush now I just weirded myself out.
Oh, I understand full well why the "furry" argument is silly. But it's something I can only expect to hear from someone who hasn't given Krystal any thought and just reacts. There's no real point in addressing a reaction like that. Like I said, "don't be quick to debate people who don't have actual arguments against her since it'll be a waste." People who mention the furry thing as a reason don't have an argument. It would be like trying to tell a person that vegetables are nutritious and part of a balanced diet and they just say "but their gross". It doesn't even deny your point, it just totally ignores it with an unrelated opinion. It's not proper debate fare.

Something I find funny on Gamefaqs is how often people who want legitimate Smash info are directed here. People just say, "Dude, you don't want to be here. If you want an actually decent community that doesn't consist of joke threads and jerkish behavior, go here", and they link Smashboards.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You also don't want to be starting silly topics while he's around.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
About two months ago, I could've been certain he thought Sakurai would be able to go back and add in Tingle as he appears in Majoras Mask, then go change the Assist Trophy's name to Toon Tingle.

Wow. That bad, huh? To be honest, I myself am not fond of Tingle. The only thing I found him interesting in was Hyrule Warriors due to unique gameplay style. But that was a while back. Other than that, I just don't like the character. I have my own reasons why.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hi Diamond Foxies!

I came here to **** on your opinion.

I came here because I saw people in the RTC thread citing "uniqueness" as a pro for Krystal.
However, I just don't seem to see the uniqueness in her.

Can somebody explain a bit of her powers, but as of now, I see Krystal as not very unique, as the Elemental Blasts and Quakes seem extremely generic to me.

Do your best on Krystallizing me, as I don't see it yet.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Hi Diamond Foxies!

I came here to **** on your opinion.

I came here because I saw people in the RTC thread citing "uniqueness" as a pro for Krystal.
However, I just don't seem to see the uniqueness in her.

Can somebody explain a bit of her powers, but as of now, I see Krystal as not very unique, as the Elemental Blasts and Quakes seem extremely generic to me.

Do your best on Krystallizing me, as I don't see it yet.
It's not necessarily the elemental blasts or quakes that make Krystal unique.

To me, her uniqueness stems mainly from the idea that she could be the only character to use a physical bo staff fighting style on the entire roster for most, if not all her normals (A-button moves). People then tend add the elemental blasts and quakes for her specials (B-button moves). So, in a way, the elemental blasts and quakes are just the tip of the iceberg.

After that, we can factor in her telepathy for something like her Final Smash. Perhaps the most common suggestion of her telepathy I've seen would be for her to contact the Cloudrunner creature from Star Fox Adventures. This would lead into her re-enacting the opening of Star Fox Adventures, where she was flying on the Cloudrunner while it was blasting away at General Scales' ship with fireballs. This would kind of sound similar to Zero Suit Samus' Final Smash. It would theoretically look and act a lot differently than ZSS's Final Smash, though. Also, it's not a Landmaster, so that's a definite plus. But that's just a suggestion. They could do something totally different with her telepathy if they wanted.

After that, we could opt for for her to use some of the weapons from Star Fox: Assault for a few moves if needed. Personally, I'm not fond of this idea myself. I'd much rather have her resort to her staff alone because it is so much different than what other characters on the roster are doing (especially when compared to the other Star Fox characters). We have a lot of fisticuffs, swords, magic, and projectile weaponry in Smash. It'd be nice to see a physical staff fighter for a change. But that's just my opinion.

By the by, I wouldn't personally want to seek to "Krystallize" someone. I don't want to shove ideas down someone's throat. The best thing we can do is talk about what it would be like, but it's hard to convey what something looks like in one person's mind to another without visual aid. I'm sure it's like this for other people who are supporting other characters.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's not necessarily the elemental blasts or quakes that make Krystal unique.

To me, her uniqueness stems mainly from the idea that she could be the only character to use a physical bo staff fighting style on the entire roster for most, if not all her normals (A-button moves). People then tend add the elemental blasts and quakes for her specials (B-button moves). So, in a way, the elemental blasts and quakes are just the tip of the iceberg.

After that, we can factor in her telepathy for something like her Final Smash. Perhaps the most common suggestion of her telepathy I've seen would be for her to contact the Cloudrunner creature from Star Fox Adventures. This would lead into her re-enacting the opening of Star Fox Adventures, where she was flying on the Cloudrunner while it was blasting away at General Scales' ship with fireballs. This would kind of sound similar to Zero Suit Samus' Final Smash. It would theoretically look and act a lot differently than ZSS's Final Smash, though. Also, it's not a Landmaster, so that's a definite plus. But that's just a suggestion. They could do something totally different with her telepathy if they wanted.

After that, we could opt for for her to use some of the weapons from Star Fox: Assault for a few moves if needed. Personally, I'm not fond of this idea myself. I'd much rather have her resort to her staff alone because it is so much different than what other characters on the roster are doing (especially when compared to the other Star Fox characters). We have a lot of fisticuffs, swords, magic, and projectile weaponry in Smash. It'd be nice to see a physical staff fighter for a change. But that's just my opinion.

By the by, I wouldn't personally want to seek to "Krystallize" someone. I don't want to shove ideas down someone's throat. The best thing we can do is talk about what it would be like, but it's hard to convey what something looks like in one person's mind to another without visual aid. I'm sure it's like this for other people who are supporting other characters.
And Bo Staff is different from the spinning staff moves Pit and Palutena use?
Cool!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Cool!
Way to use sarcasm to convey your imagination, or lack thereof.

Palutena uses a scepter. She twirls it with (supposedly) telekinesis. She is a goddess that is able to use all kinds of fantastical powers. The focus on Palutena's moveset is not on her scepter per se, but her goddess-related powers.

Pit uses dual blades that can attach and act like a dual-sided glaive or a bow. Not a staff.

Besides, the whole "spinning a staff" thing is so bland. Bo staff fighting is not all about "spinning staffs". That's just one move, and a move that Krystal does not have to use.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Cool!
Way to use sarcasm to convey imagination, or lack thereof.

Palutena uses a scepter. She twirls it with (supposedly) telekinesis. She is a goddess that is able to use all kinds of fantastical powers. The focus on Palutena's moveset is not on her scepter per se, but her goddess-related powers.

Pit uses dual blades that can attach and act like a dual-sided glaive or a bow. Not a staff.

Besides, the whole "spinning a staff" thing is so bland. Bo staff fighting is not all about "spinning staffs". That's just one move, and a move that Krystal does not have to use.
Yes. Krystal can also use her staff as a poking tool and a swinging tool too, and not just a "spinning" tool... which is the only real physical way Pit uses his bow as a physical weapon when it's whole. Her more physical fighting style with the staff could incorporate kicks as another physical means of attacking. In fact, one idea I've had for her moveset has her using the staff to vault herself forward for a big flying kick. This happened to be my fsmash idea since it made the most sense, but Krystal could do this sort of thing for any one of her moves.

Whatever loose similarity you can see in this moveset with any existing one if no more than you could do between any of the other characters really. We have several sword users and I wouldn't say they all play the same with the exception of Lucina and Marth, and maybe, quite loosely, the Links. Pit doesn't even have a staff, although Dark Pit probably should've at least, so the comparison to Krystal is simply made because it's the closest approximation to how you believe Krystal might use her staff. Even if were were to say that Krystal and Pit were essentially using the same weapon, we can see from the difference between Link and Marth that even "essentially" the same weapon does not mean a moveset that's not unique. And even so, Krystal doesn't even need to use her staff for all her moves. She has a ton of options. It's just mostly agreed upon among her fans that her staff is her greatest opportunity to be unique.

I like the idea of her using her staff for most of her standards and specials, but also just having kicks and swipes mixed in there maybe. Also, in Adventures the staff can be charged after a combo to do a strong attack. I personally made a speculative moveset where I utilized this idea. Allow Krystal to have a combo finish that charged her staff so that it could be primed for her next smash, including aerial smashes a la Robin, so that the attack would be slightly modified or buffed. This same effect could be attained by charging her neutral B and storing it. Unlike other characters that store a charged shot and can only "release" it by firing it like Samus and Lucario, Krystal could have the option to expend this energy on her next smash. I went into much more detail in a moveset idea post I made a few weeks back. I wont get too deep into this though since is just one person's idea of a unique moveset for Krystal. There's a lot of other ideas out there too. The fact is it's not too hard to think of them for her. She's got potential to be unique in a lot of different ways.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
It honestly baffles me that people want wolf back more than Krystal as a newcomer.
It's quite understandable really. He's a vet AND he's very iconic within the Star Fox franchise and makes sense for inclusion if Krystal is. Some would say Wolf actually makes more sense than any other Star Fox character besides Fox himself. Yes, if it came down to two reps, lots of people would rather have Wolf and Fox. It's that rival/villain appeal. Sakurai even considered Wolf for Melee but scrapped it because he was afraid on the Gamecube's hardware he'd have a hard time making Wolf stand out from Fox in appearance so he picked Fox's wingman for being more phyiscally different... at least that was his reasoning. Falco now has a strong following because of vet status, so it's much harder to imagine him not in.

People that may not have ever played Star Fox could've at least gotten attached to his playable character in Brawl too. It's the same situation with Roy, although that one seems sillier to me since Roy is a lot less unique than Wolf was and is almost already represented in the game through other characters.

Wolf actually played really interestingly in Brawl. As much as people like to tag the "semi-clone" label on him, he was the most original "semi-clone" in the game and pushed the definition into strange places. Fact is, all his standards were unique with the exception of his bair possibly. All his specials were derivative but behaved very differently. Wolf played differently enough that if his moveset minus the Final Smash was put on a different character, people wouldn't have hardly noticed the similarities. You don't see people saying Pit is a semi-clone of Falco, just because they both have reflectors, shoot beam like weapons, have a side B that launches them forward horizontally, a charge and fly directable head-first up B, and several multihit standard attacks. Wolf arguably only has 5 similar moves and a copied Final Smash. Kirby has as many or more similar moves to Fox as Wolf does. Fox and Kirby share similar... usmashes, dairs, utilts, jabs, and more loosely they share bairs, fsmashes, and fairs. It's funny when you realize how much Kirby plays like a round pink floaty Fox, heh.

Let me just add that I obviously support Wolf, but I support Krystal more. I believe Wolf is coming back and have put my support behind Krystal on this one. I'd feel a bit bad if Krystal got in before Wolf because I understand he's more iconic than her. Of course I'd be happy for Krystal's inclusion and would get behind Wolf next immediately if that happened. Still, I believe in Wolf. Krystal needs more help but she's got an actually legitimate shot. It's why I've backed her 100%. That and obviously because I like her character a lot and I see that she has massive potential.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
It honestly baffles me that people want wolf back more than Krystal as a newcomer.
It's familiarity, more or less. Whenever a character gets left out after being in a previous game, suddenly they gain a huge following. Within the last year, Lucas went from being an "eh" character with a cult classic game to being super requested. The Ice Climbers went from being loathed for their grab infinite to having some people demand the developers break the rules they set regarding exclusivity so they can be in the Wii U version. Roy is suddenly put on a pedestal despite being irrelevant to his series, being generally disliked by Fire Emblem fans for being dull and generic, and despite the fact that the people nostalgic for him are outweighed by the people who'd see no reason to purchase a second Marth clone. And in this case, Wolf became the single most requested DLC character after Mewtwo years after his inclusion in Brawl was met with massive backlash.

Granted, at least Wolf is barely even a semi-clone, but still.

It gives supporters of newcomers a problem because they're going up against characters who fans already have fond memories of...and it's frustrating, to be honest. Especially in our case, since many of us believe that Wolf and Krystal can both get in. It seems like everyone else thinks one would rule out the other, and they'll be damned if some upstart vixen gets the "roster spot" a character they remember well "deserves".

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
About two months ago, I could've been certain he thought Sakurai would be able to go back and add in Tingle as he appears in Majoras Mask, then go change the Assist Trophy's name to Toon Tingle.
Gurl... Just... no

Wolf is from Star Fox 64, Krystal is from Adventures

I think that should answer your question

Last edited:
Top Bottom