• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Oh boy HYPE! :L
I don't know if it's a tease to Layton's inclusion in Smashified.
And apparently in the description, Layton beat Geno in votes too in a poll, though it's music based.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Layton himself has a pretty limited palette of materials.
1. He does have the red material he's referring to.
2. The top hat could maybe be a different material, it's the same material as the red one.
3. The black-brownish cloths are probably one material, could be the number 2's material.
4. The skin is one for sure, since Smashified confirmed skin is material. (See further below)
5. The mouth maybe.
6. The top of the shoe yes.
7.The sole of the shoe, yeah.
8. His orange shirt, definitely.
9. His hair, yeah I guess.

Some other things he could refer to is his fencing sword too, which I think has two pieces of material. (The handle and the sword base itself.)

I think I'm straw grasping. :L

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I am really excited to see that Professor Layton is probably going to be the next video game character to get Smashified, at least going off the hints from Artsy Omni's recent tweets. I can see his pose being either his signature point or his hat adjustment stance, maybe even both.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, the fact he made a puzzle out of this could very well be a hint towards Layton in of its own. :awesome:

Assuming this is his first time doing this which I'm not sure......

@ GWTCN GWTCN Whoops, my apologies, I forgot to send you an invite. I'll send you one now. ^^

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I'm so sad but happy at the same time lol. I'm sad because I haven't been receiving notifications for this thread the past few pages so I had to catch up on reading them, but I'm super happy because I thought this thread was completely dead that entire time, haha.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 That article was a very good read. I haven't been up to date on a lot of information regarding anything Layton related, and now I have a bigger hopes for Layton's chances. Plus with Layton possibly being Smashified in the near future, I think support is looking up.

As for the case with the Yokai Watch character, I kind of doubt he'd be considered based on the fact it's only popular in Japan, whereas Layton's fairly popular around the world, especially Europe (which is a relatively untouched area in terms of Smash votes). It's sort of like the case of Takamaru, though probably to a lesser extent as Yokai is recently very popular, though being too recent could also hurt him too.

It's really nice to catch up here. Couple things I've been doing recently is that I completed Layton vs Ace Attorney, and I LOVE that game. I actually bought the AT trilogy, have yet to play it though. Also, I haven't had time to work on my moveset for Layton, but I should have time really soon, plus I have a lot of ideas for him, so expect it in the near future.

Great seeing the support is still alive and I'm glad to still be a part of it. :)

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
That was a good article. I'll be honest with you, I wasn't holding my breath for Layton at all but now I remember why he's got a very, very good chance. Thanks for that BluePikmin11!
Something I didn't see mentioned though was Layton is kind of similar to Shulk - the next Xenoblade Chronicles game won't feature much of Shulk, in much the same way the next Layton game won't feature much of the professor apart from that card.
Just a bit of food for thought.
(On an unrelated note, Shulk was actually my second most wanted character for this game, so can't complain I guess!)

I'd LOVE to see Layton smashified. In fact, could this tweet be Layton's drainpipe-come-sword? I'd like to hope so! It might be Sora's Keyblade or something but eh... it COULD be a drainpipe! That Prof Layton's Theme remix is absolutely incredible too.
Fingers crossed everyone!

Edit: also, I'm learning how to make websites...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, I've been wondering. Do you think that Layton's origin as a Japan originated character might give him a slight edge over certain other third parties?

I kinda noticed that the only Western originated character we've ever had in Smash (as far as I'm aware) up to this point is just Diddy Kong. This might probably explain why we still only have just two DK characters and little representation in the music and Assist Trophy department despite the clear outcry for more since Melee.....

I mean people have noted that most of Kirby's representation are from the era when Sakurai was working on the series so it may be that he's a bit more reluctant to make a character playable that was created in the west. Especially those that don't really have as much of a presence in Japan....

Of course we do have trophies, stages and various other things from the West in Smash but still.

Nothing much, but just a thought....

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not really, he may have originated from Japan (which probably means Sakurai knew of the franchise before overseas got a PL release), but that does not mean it raises his chances. Not many Nintendo western studios are getting character representation because, there weren't that many Nintendo western studios back then. The only notable Western studio is Rare with Donkey Kong Country, but we know who owns them by now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose so. But I was kinda more referring in terms of Level-5 relative to third party studio's in general.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Samus and Ridley's design's where also based off Super Metroid rather than the Prime games in Brawl, right?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am not too sure, I thought it was the Prime design in Brawl.
Usually, it's sometimes a combination of designs for a character, like with Roy's original design and his Awakening design.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I am not too sure, I thought it was the Prime design in Brawl.
Usually, it's sometimes a combination of designs for a character, like with Roy's original design and his Awakening design.
Just had a quick look, they seem to be more in line with their Super Metroid look.

Of course like you said. Some series transition to more modern looks, or stay the same or maybe even mix them up. The Zelda series are still sticking with their previous design's in Smash 4 for example.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm not suggesting him to change his design.

Perhaps it may have also to do with the amount of presence a series has around the world. Part of the reason Sakurai didn't include Takamaru had to do with a lack of Western recognizability if I recall correctly....

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Layton has large recognition in Europe and Japan and decent recognition in America.
I guess with Japan being his home region, he might be more lenient, but not by much. (by much, I mean very minimal impact of his decision with adding Layton in the game.)
Personally, I don't think this is worth the in-depth discussion, there are more valuable factors that go into a character's inclusion than Layton originating from Japan.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, what would ultimately decide his inclusion is how well he does in terms of requests.
Hopefully he's doing fine at least....

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'd suspect he'd largely voted in Europe by casual Smash fans. He's been largely voted (40,000 votes if I can recall) in the VGTribune pre-Smash 4 poll (where Skull Kid was #1 in that poll) to show that there are loads of Layton supporters, I bet the results in Europe will likely be roughly the same even though ballot polls don't rank him high.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well one thing to take in is that the Ballot is known world wide and by everyone, not just Smash Bros fans. (After all. The Ballot was revealed over at a general Nintendo Direct.)

So the amount of people who voted on the ballot is most likely much bigger than most unofficial poll's show, which all just show a sample of what to roughly expect, but not fully represent.
This doesn't even account to those who voted multiple times as well due to how open it is....

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.
Oh gosh, I wasn't sure what you meant until I read the news.

That's terrible. And to think he seemed so healthy and well in the last Direct we saw him.

My condolences goes out to his friends and family.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This is the drawing I made for Iwata, I dont draw very well, but I tried my best to make a good drawing of Layton.
It looks very nice Mnaterap. Very well done. I've already got my sketch done too. Just need to scan it in and then work a bit further on it. ^^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's my small tribute to an amazing man.

In case you don't have it, here's Mr. Iwata's Mii.

19367_satoruiwata.jpg

jcolin1

Smash Rookie
Hello all. I've been a huge supporter of Layton for smash since announcement, but haven't had a Smashboards account until now.

The one thing about Layton is Ive found his usual tagline - solves the puzzle - a bit bland.

So, allow me to present my list of terrible Layton puns!

PROFESSOR LAYTON HEARS THE SPECTATOR'S CALL - Becuase Smash Ballot
PRFOESSOR LAYTON MAKES A MIRACLE - Because his odds are great? I'm not a huge fan of this one...
PROFESSOR LAYTON LEAVES HIS LEGACY - As he apperantly won't be starring his own games anymore, Smash will be his legacy for a new generation
PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGER - Only really works if the opening shows him fighting villager...
PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE DIABOLICAL BOXER - Only really works if the opening shows him fighting Little Mac...
PROFESSOR LAYTON GETS WOUND UP - If he has charging moves
PROFESSOR LAYTON TAKES ON SEVEN - Only really works if the opening shows him fighting seven others in eight player smash...

Thoughts?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think "Professor Layton makes a Curious Entrance!" may be a pretty neat option too. It's a call back to the first game in the series as well as referencing the mystery aspect that the series is known for, plus it may also give out an element of surprise in regards to Layton's appearance.

But I guess that's just my opinion.

Welcome to SmashBoards though. I'll be sure to add you to the supporters list once I have the chance to do so.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't know, I kinda agree with jcolin1. It doesn't really flow off the tongue very nicely.

"Puzzles the competition" probably sounds better which is also a commonly suggested splash text for Layton...

Top Bottom