• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
hearing the way the professor says "objection" and "hold it" really makes you realize how polite a fighter he would be
Then you see him slam his hand on the desk and realise that he'll get a bit aggressive if he needs to deal with bull****.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
hearing the way the professor says "objection" and "hold it" really makes you realize how polite a fighter he would be
Then you see him slam his hand on the desk and realise that he'll get a bit aggressive if he needs to deal with bull****.
I don't have the game yet stop mocking me :cry:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd be ecstatic if Layton got in Smash Bros. He's unlikely at this point, but hey, that's what they said about Mega Man! And Pit... I guess. The only problem is Layton is 3rd Party.. but I'm just digressing now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think he's as unlikely as people think, since "chances" in this community tend to be based on the most arbitrary of points in most cases.

Layton has got one thing over many other characters - his creator has given him the A-OK, and his creator is friends with Sakurai. The latter is proven to be a possible gateway for third parties, as evidenced by Snake.

This is also why I legitimately feel like Reggie Fils-Aime is one of the most likely newcomers at this point. He actually has a lot of things backing up a possible inclusion.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know this technically isn't about Layton, but I had thought Wright had his voice actor changed in this game, and it turns out I was right. In Layton VS Wright, Wright is voiced by Roger Craig Smith - current voice actor for Sonic the Hedgehog, Batman (in the Arkham games), Chris Redfield (Resident Evil), and the voice of Ezio (Assassin's Creed II saga)!

Pretty nifty! :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So Nintendo handles the dubbing of the Layton games too?

*+1 hope point for Layton in Smash 4*

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think he's as unlikely as people think, since "chances" in this community tend to be based on the most arbitrary of points in most cases.

Layton has got one thing over many other characters - his creator has given him the A-OK, and his creator is friends with Sakurai. The latter is proven to be a possible gateway for third parties, as evidenced by Snake.

This is also why I legitimately feel like Reggie Fils-Aime is one of the most likely newcomers at this point. He actually has a lot of things backing up a possible inclusion.
...Wait, what?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...Wait, what?
-In one particular video interview, Reggie was asked if he would like to be included as a playable character in Smash Bros. He said he'd like the idea, and if he was included, his Final Smash would be the "My Body is Ready Slam".
-A petition was started on Change.org, for Reggie being included in Smash 4. Reggie noticed this petition, and said that people should sign it and that something might happen if they do.
-Sakurai himself noticed the petition, and said that if it reached 100,000 signatures, he would include Reggie as a playable character.
-At the 2013 VGX Awards, Reggie was asked about being included in Smash 4 again. He gave another shoutout to the petition, saying that it was actually getting a lot of signatures, and confirmed that this was not a joke petition.

So yeah, Reggie, along with Mewtwo, is the only potential fighter with undeniable chances of inclusion, and is definitely being considered to some degree by Sakurai.
The petition is currently resting just over 50,000 signatures, most of which happened when Reggie and Sakurai originally acknowledged it. I personally don't think it will reach 100,000 without strong promotion from now on, but considering the nature of the petition, it won't actually need 100,000.

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

From Official Nintendo Magazine (UK)

...I get this is a little bit of humor, but... that last sentence!

Well. Just maybe. We can HOPE this is real.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

From Official Nintendo Magazine (UK)

...I get this is a little bit of humor, but... that last sentence!

Well. Just maybe. We can HOPE this is real.
I'm sorry to say, but it's just ONM having some fun in their articles. They don't know any more than we do thus this is definitely not a hint towards Layton in Smash Bros.

Also,the bit at the very top of that same page wrote this. They are just suggestions, not confirmations.

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
I'm sorry to say, but it's just ONM having some fun in their articles. They don't know any more than we do thus this is definitely not a hint towards Layton in Smash Bros.

Also,the bit at the very top of that same page wrote this. They are just suggestions, not confirmations.
*facepalm*

you're also the 3rd person to post that here
Whoops, I'm sorry. I just kinda rush into the thread as soon I saw this haha.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, guess I might as well post another codec, It's back to Layton's sidekicks now.

Mr. Game & Watch for Luke, R.O.B. for Flora and Wolf for Emmy.

Now this is one character that seems to be defying all logic....
Now that's one flat character.
Do you happen to know what its name is my boy?
Apparently this stick figure man is called Mr. Game & Watch and he apparently comes from a world where everything is flat.
That sounds very fascinating.
Professor, did you know that Mr. Game & Watch is probably one of the oldest videogame characters ever created? Older than you and me, but also older than Mario!
Ah yes, the Game & Watch series was one of Nintendo's earliest gaming devices. But Luke, did you know that even before that, Nintendo was originally a playing card company among other businesses as the years went by? They have actually been going on for many years now, about 125 years in fact.
What!?! 125 years? That makes the 16 years that Level-5 has been around seem measly in comparison...
Hahaha you're right my boy, Nintendo has been carrying on for a very long time now and Mr. Game & Watch seems to be quite a symbol of when they first started out as a videogame company and changed their image forever.
Now that's very interesting, Nintendo has really been in the business for years, I hope they can manage to carry on for many years to come.

Oh look Professor! There's a robot over there.
Ah yes, a very interesting looking device as well. You seem to be very happy to see one my dear.
Teehee yeah, I guess it kinda made me miss my robot companions at St. Mystere.
That's quite understandable, so what do you think its name is?
Robot.
Robot?
Well in Japan at least, it has a more interesting name in R.O.B. which is what it's more commonly called in the west. It stands for "Robotic Operating Buddy" in case you wanted to know. Its default colour is also based on the colour of the Famicom whereas in the west it was more based around the NES system.

Professor, I would like to warn you though, R.O.B. has quite a few tricks up it's sleeve, it knows how to shoot lasers, spinning its arms round which also helps it in reflecting projectiles and it has a really good recovery where it can levitate skywards to quite a height.

Oh, it also has a cute move where it spins a Gyromite and shoots it at you, you can pick it up and throw it back at it if you wish to. I heard these things can keep on spinning for about 2 minutes.
Well, you seem to know quite a lot about this character Flora.
Teehee, well I guess some of Bruno's robotic's and technology has rubbed off on me during my time in St. Mystere, so robots are pretty fascinating to me. if you are facing another robotic opponent next time, feel free to ask me Professor.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you dear.
Now that's a very, ferocious looking opponent over there.
That's Wolf professor. He's the leader of a pack of space bandits called Star Wolf, they always seem to cause the Star Fox team quite a lot of troubles.
Star Wolf, I see. Seems like quite a suitable name if the appearance is anything to go by...
His team don't really seem to be working well together though, they tend to hang out more in space rather than teaming up together as actual comrades.
I guess he's more of a "Lone Wolf" then, huh?
I guess you can say that, but with all that said, he's a very great pilot and his ship which is also known as the "Wolfen" is definitely not a push over either.
I see, and what is he like with hand-to-hand combat?
See his claws Professor, and how he is keeping them sharp and ready to tear through whatever gets in its way? I guess that more or less answers your question.
Oh dear...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
^This made me really hope Layton is confirmed as well as Wolf, so I can make a recreation of that one scene in Eternal Diva. :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh you mean this scene? :p

I guess there should be an event where Layton fights three Wolf's. c:
That be it. :p

I've always thought this could be a possible Down Special or Down-tilt for him. Or possible a down throw that stuns the opponent.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just finished Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright. It was kinda shocking how lengthy the adventure was, you really get bang for your buck.

I'll just say it was amazing and leave it at that.

(Phoenix and Layton ought to team up more often, they would be the bane of ne'er do wells everywhere.)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Just finished Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright. It was kinda shocking how lengthy the adventure was, you really get bang for your buck.

I'll just say it was amazing and leave it at that.

(Phoenix and Layton ought to team up more often, they would be the bane of ne'er do wells everywhere.)
that feel when the release date for your region is still 2014

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well here's another codec, I'm nearly done with the veteran cast. :)

I'm doing Bowser now but with Don Paolo per request of MaskO'Gears. There may contain some spoilers to Curious Village and Unwound/Lost Future though. Enjoy. :)
Oh, I see, so this is Bowser, the villain that Mario always faces up against.
Uh, sorry Layton, but your Golden Apple is in another Tower!
Oh hello there Paul.
That's Don Paolo to you, Layton! And why are you wasting your time with Bowser when you should be more concerned with me!
Oh really? What did you do then?
What did I do? I'll tell you what I did! I uh.... I.... Uhm... kidnapped.... Flora! Yeah that's what I did, I kidnapped your little Golden Apple! Haha.

No you didn't.

*Ack* Work with me Flora won't you....
Well I guess that's settled then. Flora dear, would you like to discuss Bowser with me?
Oh sure Profes--

Now hold on there Layton, I'm not done with you yet! Bowser is Mario's arch-nemesis just like I am yours so I should be the one to talk about this brute with you!

Hope you don't mind, lovely little Flora.....
Well... Okay then, sorry Flora, but would you like to sit this one out for Paul, just this once my dear?
Ew..... Well okay then Professor....

Now we are talking, so that Bowser fellow. He enjoy's kidnapping that Princess Peach lady doesn't he?
Well yes, according to my information. He has been kidnapping Princess Peach for years, but Mario always manages to ruin his plans and save her in the end.
Bleh, what a sappy story, it's like a fairy tale that never ends.
Well yeah... I suppose it may not be the most groundbreaking story of all time.
But I believe the charm lies more on the platforming adventure itself that lends itself so well among dozens of people.
So what about that Bowser fellow, does he just sit back at his castle waiting for Mario to show up and make the bridge he's standing on collapse at him?
While Bowser's ideas in terms of defenses may seem a bit.... questionable.... I suppose he does also have his strong suites. For example, in this fight he seems to be standing in a much more upright posture and speed and attacks seem to be more powerful than before. According to some sources of course.
Meh, I bet I can beat him with my hands tied behind my back, he doesn't seem that scary, he's just a fire breathing turtle with spines on his back.

Why don't you challenge him to a battle then, Paul?

W-What!? Now? oh no Flora dear I don't have time for that. I have a busy schedule you see.... an evil busy schedule, can't do.

Hmm...
Haha, well I guess Paul has his hands full at the moment dear. Lets leave Bowser to me shall we?
Sure Professor, I'll be cheering you on.

Yeah... Me... Too....Grrrr....I'll get you next time Layton..... Bleh...

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well here's another codec, I'm nearly done with the veteran cast. :)

I'm doing Bowser now but with Don Paolo per request of MaskO'Gears. Enjoy. :)
Oh, I see, so this is Bowser, the villain that Mario always faces up against.
Uh, sorry Layton, but your Golden Apple is in another Tower!
Oh hello there Paul.
That's Don Paolo to you, Layton! And why are you wasting your time with Bowser when you should be more concerned with me!
Oh really? What did you do then?
What did I do? I'll tell you what I did! I uh.... I.... Uhm... kidnapped.... Flora! Yeah that's what I did, I kidnapped your little Golden Apple! Haha.

No you didn't.

*Ack* Work with me Flora won't you....
Well I guess that's settled then. Flora dear, would you like to discuss Bowser with me?
Oh sure Profes--

Now hold on there Layton, I'm not done with you yet! Bowser is Mario's arch-nemesis just like I am yours so I should be the one to talk about this brute with you!

Hope you don't mind, lovely little Flora.....
Well... Okay then, sorry Flora, but would you like to sit this one out for Paul, just this once my dear?
Ew..... Well okay then Professor....

Now we are talking, so that Bowser fellow. He enjoy's kidnapping that Princess Peach lady doesn't he?
Well yes, according to my information. He has been kidnapping Princess Peach for years, but Mario always manages to ruin his plans and save her in the end.
Bleh, what a sappy story, it's like a fairy tale that never ends.
Well yeah... I suppose it may not be the most groundbreaking story of all time.
But I believe the charm lies more on the platforming adventure itself that lends itself so well among dozens of people.
So what about that Bowser fellow, does he just sit back at his castle waiting for Mario to show up and make the bridge he's standing on collapse at him?
While Bowser's ideas in terms of defenses may seem a bit.... questionable.... I suppose he does also have his strong suites. For example, in this fight he seems to be standing in a much more upright posture and speed and attacks seem to be more powerful than before. According to some sources of course.
Meh, I bet I can beat him with my hands tied behind my back, he doesn't seem that scary, he's just a fire breathing turtle with spines on his back.

Why don't you challenge him to a battle then, Paul?

W-What!? Now? oh no Flora dear I don't have time for that. I have a busy schedule you see.... an evil busy schedule, can't do.

Hmm...
Haha, well I guess Paul has his hands full at the moment dear. Lets leave Bowser to me shall we?
Sure Professor, I'll be cheering you on.

Yeah... Me... Too....Grrrr....I'll get you next time Layton..... Bleh...
honestly I'm just glad I finished the first game before I read that. there's some spoilers, but whatever. since I finished the first game this morning I guess it doesn't matter.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I hope Layton's games become available in the VC, because after trying some of the demo puzzles on the Layton website, I think I may wanna give this a try, puzzles don't feel too hard now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I hope Layton's games become available in the VC, because after trying some of the demo puzzles on the Layton website, I think I may wanna give this a try, puzzles don't feel too hard now.
If you're already into Phoenix Wright, then the crossover with Layton is a good start. The puzzles are by far the easiest, I've been finding. Even puzzles worth 60 Picarats aren't that bad (which are normally the hardest puzzles you'll find within the main story of a Layton game).

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If you're already into Phoenix Wright, then the crossover with Layton is a good start. The puzzles are by far the easiest, I've been finding. Even puzzles worth 60 Picarats aren't that bad (which are normally the hardest puzzles you'll find within the main story of a Layton game).
they probably did that to not turn off people who came just for AA.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
honestly I'm just glad I finished the first game before I read that. there's some spoilers, but whatever. since I finished the first game this morning I guess it doesn't matter.
Oh, sorry about that, I guess I should have put a spoiler warning up there. I'll fix that. ^^

they probably did that to not turn off people who came just for AA.
Yeah the puzzles are indeed a lot easier compared to the ones in the Professor Layton series, however, I would still kinda recommend starting off with Curious Village, even if the puzzles are probably the most difficult in that game. I think it is a pretty good starting point in terms of the basics of the series though.

Also, in the crossover, puzzle barriers seem to be removed and the picarat count seems to be more or less useless in this game as you unlock everything straight away as soon as you finish the main story unlike in the Layton games where you could unlock further features in the game depending on how many picarats you have collected.

I guess like you said, they did that so that they wouldn't turn off those who came from the Ace Attorney fandom.

Top Bottom