• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Smady

Smash Master
The fact that Layton isn't such a natural fit for a moveset actually lends some credence to the character, as it necessitates a more unique approach that Sakurai wants to go for with newcomers in this game. I can think of plenty of ways to pull off a set for Layton in a simple, intuitive way, I'm sure Sakurai could do the same. It'd take a lot of work, though, but I do think Layton is pretty much legendary status after his massive success on DS and 3DS.

His really big hurdle is simply being third-party. Level-5 is not the biggest Nintendo developer and Layton is maybe not at the absolute peak of its popularity. Layton does have a good shot, just not as good as other third-parties.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
All he said was a "very special situation"
It can be interpreted in many ways.
I said it back in the Official Character Discussion Thread:
Has anyone considered that "special situation" with third parties can mean many different things. Like a 3rd party character that has a very close relationship with Nintendo could be considered a "special situation." While additions like Snake and Pac-Man were added for their iconicness in videogame history could be considered a "special situation." Megaman (and maybe Sonic) had both of those special situations I mentioned.
I don't see the word legendary anywhere in the Sakurai's statement. I naturally find this to mean close-relationship Nintendo third parties or legendary third parties.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think Layton is a semi-natural fit, due to his fencing abilities. He's also got amazing acrobatic skill (I saw this one gif from the Wright crossover, and this giant knight tries to attack Layton with his sword but LAYTON BASICALLY BREAKDANCES HIS WAY OUT OF IT IM NOT EVEN JOKING and then he takes the knight down!). For creativity's sake though, they should do the kind of things Wright had done for UMvC3.

And Layton's Final Smash has to be the finger. No other options.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think that layton is a "special circumstance"

doesn't NOA work on the laton series, translate it or something? I think all the connections are clear.

Smady

Smash Master
Not surprised that a quote was taken out-of-context. I should at this point assume that every Sakurai quote is a mistranslated one.

Layton is definitely a special circumstance, if not legendary. It's on the cards for sure, just depends on what Sakurai wants.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
All he said was a "very special situation"
It can be interpreted in many ways.
I said it back in the Official Character Discussion Thread:

I don't see the word legendary anywhere in the Sakurai's statement. I naturally find this to mean close-relationship Nintendo third parties or legendary third parties.
Hmm... I can't seem to find the quotation where Sakurai mentioned that third parties need to "legendary" or something along those lines, but I could have sworn he said something along those lines. Guess I'm going to have to check around on that further...

Smady

Smash Master
We can only hope sakurai is a Layton fan.
I'm seriously disillusioned if no one has made a confirmation list of what Sakurai is a fan of on this web zone. I've looked at his twitter, it's full of cats, so Krystal confirmed?

Funnily enough, I did hear a quote once implying he was a big StarFox fan... don't remember anything on puzzle/adventure games like AA or PL.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
According to some people I talked to. Sakurai is apparently good friends with the creator of the Professor Layton series, Akihiro Hino. They were also both together in a talk show where they were requested to include Professor Layton in the next Smash Bros. That's... the closest thing I guess.....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
According to some people I talked to. Sakurai is apparently good friends with the creator of the Professor Layton series, Akihiro Hino. They were also both together in a talk show where they were requested to put Professor Layton in Smash Bros. That's... the closest thing I guess.....
I can vouch for this. I follow a blog on tumblr called "****yeahmasahirosakurai", and I recall the blog posting a picture of Sakurai with Akihiro Hino.

Smady

Smash Master
That's a good sign. It seems that Sakurai has many friends over in the Japanese developer scene, I've heard murmurings that he's tied to Hideki Kamiya and other Platinum employees too. Dude gets around, but if the Akihiro Hino friendship has concrete evidence, that is distinctive.

It really is a shame Nintendo didn't simply foot the bill for the Layton series in some way to make it a Nintendo IP, because that is the only real barrier here after Villager completely redefined chances for non-fighters i.e. Layton.

Smady

Smash Master
Ah yes, the old Sakurai friendship ticket! That's how Layton gets into Smash, just the solution to his newcomer puzzle...

Man I wish I kept that Layton ticket.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Now that talk show, I would really love to find a source for that, if we can, we just might solve the puzzle that increases Layton's chances by tons.
This is the only thing I could find on it. I'm not sure where we could find a video of it and see more of it, even if it's all in Japanese.

A member here once mentioned that he did see the talkshow sometime ago and Hino answered that he was happy to see Layton join the Smash Bros series or something along those lines. He didn't mention what Sakurai's thoughts where though.... :/

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Although it has to be said, there are plenty of developers who get Smash Bros questions and they always reply positively to their character being in Smash Bros. Especially when Sakurai is at the Q&A session and both developers are friends, there's no way Hino would not say yes. But nonetheless, the very fact Sakurai is aware of the idea is significant. Now I'd just like to see the date of that talk to see if it was before or after the finalization date.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The date GoNintendo posted this was on March 8 2008. So it was around the release of Brawl. And I think around the time the earlier part of the original Layton trilogy was the main focus. Hence why people laughed during that talk show as Layton hadn't proven his fighting and combat skills at that time. Nowadays Layton really does do some fighting at least once in every game.

Smady

Smash Master
That's far too early to be relevant to Smash 4, unfortunately. However it's clear Sakurai knows about the Layton series and I'm sure over the years the success of the series has only improved the Professor's importance in Sakurai's eyes. Surely now is a better time than for Brawl, when Unwound Future wasn't out yet.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It is a better time now, indeed. I think these games are probably his biggest shot at making it in as between Brawl and now is currently where his popularity is still at its peak, if he doesn't make it into these games, it would probably be a lot more difficult supporting Layton for future Smash Bros entries, especially if Level-5 really doesn't want to continue the series anymore, or carries it on without Layton as the main character.

Even though his chances may be slim. I do hope he makes it in somehow...

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
That's far too early to be relevant to Smash 4, unfortunately. However it's clear Sakurai knows about the Layton series and I'm sure over the years the success of the series has only improved the Professor's importance in Sakurai's eyes. Surely now is a better time than for Brawl, when Unwound Future wasn't out yet.
I always think this argument sounds dumb :/ Layton's not too early of a character to be relevant for smash, just look at Rosalina!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
wait, I think you missed his point.
Wait...I did :s Still, the fact that Layton has been considered for Smash at least twice gives us some hope, especially with the massive popularity burst of the prequel trilogy and the crossover game.

Smady

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I just meant that date was too early for the event to be relevant. Layton's history only helps him in that respect.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Over at the Codec thread, @ D-idara D-idara made a really cool codec-like system for Layton, where he talks to Luke and some other characters!

He made a few example, and I didn't see them posted here, so I thought I'd post them here for everyone else to see.

[collapse=Professor Layton's Codecs - Bowser]
: Luke, would you be so kind and try to reason with this strange creature? It's got a menacing appearance and it seems to be able to breathe fire...but we've seen that hostile-looking animals can be quite nice, like Old Red!
: Professor, that's Bowser! He's Mario's archnemesis and he's a Koopa! I'm not really sure he qualifies as an animal, I can't seem to understand him...but be careful, whatever he's saying, he doesn't seem like he wants to sit down and chat with a cup of tea!
: Yes, Luke, I did notice that he not only looks hostile, but he seems to be unnaturally brutal and ruthless, this one seems like a creature that favors brawn over brains, certainly not the style I'd choose to fight with! A true gentleman always keeps himself calm and collected, even during the heat of battle!
: Well, Professor, you might be right about the lack of brains! He seems to have a tendency to build his various castles with switches that can defeat him when stepped on! He's certainly not a master architect, but according to this Strategy Guide, Bowser also utilizes dark magic, complex machines and has an entire army of troops as his disposal! You'd better be careful, Professor![/collapse]
[collapse=Professor Layton's Codecs - Wario]
: ...This man doesn't seem to have much appreciation for personal hygiene, from what I can smell.
: That's Wario! Even though he might not be the cleanest fighter on Smash, he's a formidable foe and has shown to be a fellow Master Of Disguise! His methods can seem a little...unorthodox, but he's certainly not an evil man, maybe a bit of an opportunist.
: Descole...! So Wario has also stolen other people's faces!? That's not exactly dignified!
: No, Layton, he hasn't gone under the guise of someone else, his disguises are often more towards a specific theme! Like an endless parade of Halloween costumes! Although I admire him for that, I find his gas attack quite...unsettling...
: Actually, now that you mention that, I'm reminded of a Puzzle!
: Now's not the time, Layton! Besides, I don't think I'm interested on puzzles that have anything to do with that![/collapse]
[collapse=Professor Layton's Codecs - Ridley]
: Quite the size for a combatant! And he shows amazing strategical skills for a Pterodactyl...
: Professor, that's Ridley! He's the ruthless leader of the Space Pirates, and the one responsible for the death of Samus Aran's parents...even though Ridley might seem brutal and relentless, he's actually quite smart and cunning, so he's dangerous all-around.
: Indeed, Luke, I've noticed that he calculates every move carefully...I should watch my back againist this one, of all the heartless monsters, taking someone's parents from them at such a young age...sounds like a familiar, despicable organization...
: Uh, well...I guess you're right, Professor. On another note, doesn't he look a little too big for the Super Smash Bros. Tournament?
: Luke, my boy, as unpleasant as he might be as a...person? I don't think size really means anything on such a peculiar tournament.[/collapse]
@ Curious Villager Curious Villager , do you think could add these to the OP? I really like them, and think they would be awesome for Layton in Smash! Maybe more people would make these if thy saw them in the OP.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Over at the Codec thread, @ D-idara D-idara made a really cool codec-like system for Layton, where he talks to Luke and some other characters!

He made a few example, and I didn't see them posted here, so I thought I'd post them here for everyone else to see.

@ Curious Villager Curious Villager , do you think could add these to the OP? I really like them, and think they would be awesome for Layton in Smash! Maybe more people would make these if thy saw them in the OP.
me and kikwi have already made loads

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
me and kikwi have already made loads
Kikwi and I.
Sorry, I am a Grammar Nazi.

I need a Layton codec for Rosalina and Mac. :p
From the OP, it looks like it hasn't been done yet.
I'd try one, but I don't know enough about the Professor Layton series. Though considering Layton is a gentleman, I'd suggest doing something about how "barbaric" and "brutal" Mac's fighting is, since all he uses are his fists.
As for Rosalina, I could see Layton saying something about how she seems majestic and peaceful, just like a proper gentlewoman.

Wait, is gentlewoman even a word? I have no clue if it is or not. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of Layton codec's though. Gosh it's been a while since I've last done them, the last one I've made has been all the way back at page 8. We are at page 16 now. Guess I might do some more sometime soon if people would like to see them again. ^^

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'll try ones for some of those less-than-likely newcomers I really like, mainly Sandbag, Fawful, Porky Minch, and Pokémon Rival (Gary Oak).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
right i promised you guys a rosalina one

Flora who's this rather regal women?

that's rosalina professor she acts as mother to the star like children known as the lumas

she seems to have brought one with her

she can summon them to help her in battle I hear she can control them remotely meaning between them they can cover a great distance

my word what else?

she all sorts of powers from the galaxy. she can deflect projectiles and draw in items while the luma can spray star bits

the bond between parent and child is powerful they'll be quite the opponents

maybe you and i should give it a try professor

maybe next time my dear

Top Bottom