• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How would you guys feel if I where to recreate St.Mystere in 3D?

The overall map seems to be about as big as Delfino Plaza and Skyloft and it seems to be fairly doable for someone around my skill level too.....

Just thought after creating Flora in 3D. I should probably go the extra mile.....

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
If you feel comfortable doing it and want I am more than sure you will be able to make it

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If you feel comfortable doing it and want I am more than sure you will be able to make it
Well if I want to become a game developer I should learn on how to make area's and levels eventually too so I probably should at some point. And I think due to the simplistic layout of St.Mystere, it should be a good practice map for me to start with. But that's just me really. :p

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
it probably is the perfect fit to start with as it is simple and you know it well. good luck to being a game developer what games would you plan on making?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks, and I agree. Hopefully I'll be able to make it just fine with no lag or anything.....

Well I'm hoping to make an action adventure game at some point.

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
providing you know the coding and stuff ( not sure if you would go top down 2d or 3d as you can clearly do 3d art well ) it should be achievable

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
providing you know the coding and stuff ( not sure if you would go top down 2d or 3d as you can clearly do 3d art well ) it should be achievable
I'm hoping to do a 3D adventure much akin to the Legend of Zelda series. Although if that ends up being too grand of a task, I don't really mind trying out to make a game with a top-down perspective much like A Link Between Worlds.....

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'm currently going to do an article on Layton, what should I bring up when it comes to his inclusion? And what music should I put in for people to enjoy reading?
In regards to supporting his inclusion, here are a few points to get started with (some of these points I used back on Layton's day for the RTC thread, which I will also be using when I work on my Smash Ballot for him).

• Level 5 and Nintendo have a very good relationship. Nintendo is in charge of licensing all of the Layton games for the international audience, so while he is 100% rooted in Level 5, one could also argue he is 50% rooted in Nintendo if you consider international as "outside of Japan". All of Professor Layton games have been Nintendo exclusives, and are arguably some of the most defining games of the Nintendo DS era. While Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy, the two most recent Layton games aside from Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, weren't the most successful games in the entire franchise, Miracle Mask was the best selling 3DS launch title when the 3DS was first launched in Japan in February 2011.
  • The Professor Layton series was especially made to particularly target the female audience, evident by the inclusion of in-game voice acting and cutscenes. Thus, Professor Layton's inclusion into Smash Bros would be an excellent way to draw in female gamers to the Smash Bros scene, thus meaning more money.
  • While he may not be an "Video Game mascot all-star" like Megaman, Mario, Pac-man, and Sonic are, Professor Layton is arguably one of the more iconic video game characters to come out in the last decade. The recent crossover game with Layton and Phoenix Wright proves this. Phoenix Wright is already one of the bigger gaming icons out there, and he is particularly known for being an icon when it comes to puzzle/thinking games. With that in mind, why do you think Professor Layton was paired up with Phoenix Wright for this crossover game? Because he is the other most iconic gaming icon to come from a puzzle/thinking game. That alone proves Professor Layton is quite a celebrity in the gaming world. Sure one may argue, "We already have Dr. Mario for a puzzle game rep", but the thing is, he isn't that unique; he comes from the Mario series, so the Dr. Mario games are arguably just spin-offs of the Mario franchise. Professor Layton, on the other hand, is a much more interesting addition because he comes from a unique video game franchise whose games are all about puzzle solving and mystery, and that's exactly a kind of rep we need (for reference, look at Wii Fit Trainer. She represents the fitness games, and she comes from a unique video game franchise too).
  • In case someone brings up the argument "Include Phoenix Wright for a puzzle/thinking game instead", mention that Capcom already has two reps, so it's time to give other video game companies a chance, thus supporting the idea of Professor Layton for the puzzle/thinking game genre.
  • Professor Layton has huge moveset potential. In addition to his fencing skills, he can also use the Coin-Slot Machine Gun from Unwound Future, the Custom Glider from Curious Village, the Stone Catapult from Last Specter, and the Fossil Glider from Azran Legacy as part of his moveset. He can also use Hint Coins, toy robots, animal friends, etc. (refer to the moveset ideas provided by the Layton supporters here on this thread to catch my drift, but be sure to give some brief background behind each move you are talking about in the article). You can also talk about different stage potentials, and you can already refer to the front page to look through the ideas Layton supporters in this thread have provided, with St. Mystere and London being the best possibilities.
  • And maybe throw some quotes by Professor Layton that would support the idea of him fighting in Smash Bros as some people could bring up the argument, "A true gentleman should abstain from fighting." To list the three key quotes.
    • "A true gentleman never plays his ace in the hold until absolutely necessary."
    • "Helping a lady [like you] is the duty of every gentleman." (he says this exact quote to Emmy in Last Specter and Maya in Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney)
    • "A true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved."
    • "Every puzzle has an answer, and sometimes that answer might just be brute force." (he says something like this in Unwound Future at one point in the game, though I can't remember the exact wording)
Wow, it looks I already got a great headstart in what I want to write for my Smash Ballot when I talk about Professor Layton.

And here are some fantastic Professor Layton tracks that will allow readers to enjoy reading the article:

Perhaps at one point in the article, you could say something like, "Think about listening to all of these amazing tracks in Smash Bros. Wouldn't you want to hear them during a battle?"

Hope all of this helps. :)

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Also if you are going to go the Phoenix wright sort of argument Layton was inspired by Phoenix wright then went on to do better than it how many other franchises have achieved that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think comparing Layton to Phoenix might make people assume that he has little to work with and that his moveset would more or less be random to an extend much like Phoenix was in that one Capcom fighting game. Which isn't really the case for Layton as he has quite a lot of source material to work with in terms of his potential moveset. Whether you include his abilities shown in the cutscenes or the puzzles themselves etc.

If you where to talk about his playstyle. Perhaps it's for the best to mention that he has a lot of creative abilities with various objects and puzzles and that he's probably a pretty good zoning and perhaps stage control type character as a result.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Right now I'm just focusing on his fencing play style and how it makes him one of the more defensive characters in the game. Didn't mention the gadgets though, since I now think those are pretty obscure place to get a moveset from. He'll probably be inspired by the actual game play such as searching and hint coins.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Here's my moveset for Layton (just the special moves)

Neutral: Accusation: Professor Layton makes an about-turn and points with all his might. This move can be charged, and deals high knockback. What makes this move different, is that his forward smash is the same move, except Layton points forward instead of making the heel-face turn. These moveset similarities will 'puzzle' the opponents and make it difficult to predict Layton.

Side: Parry: Layton pulls out his fencing sword and, similar to Marth's side special, does a fencing combo. The difference here is that Layton automatically does the full combo without you needing to press the button at specific intervals. The move can be cancelled by blocking, in which case Layton blocks the attack with his epee, not as effective as the regular shield.

Up: Glider: Layton quickly builds the glider from the end of the first game (spoilers) and rises sharply, before slowly gliding down on it. As the glider is going up, it deals damage, and Layton can jump off the glider whenever he wants, and can still do aerial attacks. High horizontal recovery, high vertical recovery at the start of the move.

Down: Search Mode: A magnifying glass appears on the screen which can be moved around by the player. Pressing 'B' again over a player will trigger the magnifying glass, causing one of three things to happen. One: a hint coin appears, causing low knockback and damage. Two: the white lines appear which, in-game, means you've found something, causing medium knockback and damage. Three: the red puzzle exclamation mark appears, causing high knockback and damage.

I have two ideas for the final smash

Final Smash 1: Puzzle Solved: Layton disappears from the battlefield and the background turns black. Layton appears three times on the screen, similar to his 'puzzle solved' animations. During this time, the Layton symbol will appear on-screen, and the player can move it around similar to his down special. Once Layton points at the screen, having solved the puzzle, any fighters on the symbol will be dealt HIGH damage and knockback.

Final Smash 2: Objection: Layton points, trapping opponents he hits. Those opponents are cinematically sent to a courtroom, with Professor Layton prosecuting and Phoenix Wright defending. They both smack the table a lot and deal objections, dealing damage to the opponents. At the end of the move, both Phoenix and Layton point at the opponents, giving the move a final attack and dealing high knockback.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Can anyone find notable support for Layton, I haven't really found much polls where Layton is getting a notable amount of votes. It's essential so people have proof that he has notable support. I'm just going to create a compilation image of all the support from wish lists if can't find it.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
i think watchmojo is a poll based you tube site that had layton on there dlc wish list as well as some other highish profile youtubers

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah the closest place I can think of that has a poll with is Watch Mojo which if I understood correctly, is a Youtube channel that poll's various people's wants and whatnot. That's the closest thing I can think of.

Most of the Layton fanbase generally doesn't really hang around places that is more catered towards "hardcore gaming" and whatnot so it's more difficult to gather opinions from them.

The best place you can find them is over at Tumblr and Twitter I suppose.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
yeah i cannot think of anyone on top of that its a weird fan base as the support is spread out

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, I kinda wish that there was a general fansite for the whole fanbase to come together in, but their sadly pretty spread out so it's harder to communicate with them.

I'm pretty happy that the fandom is still trying to stand on its own two feet though even though it has kinda become less populated ever since Azran Legacy came and went.....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think a dedicated fansite for the Professor Layton series could do wonders for the franchise. A lot of fans of the series could come together and talk and contribute about it as well as continuing to show their support for the franchise so that it can remain at the very least as a cult classic.

Just look at how the Earthbound fandom is still going strong and healthy to this day, and that's only with a series with just three games in its resume. (Then again, I suppose it wouldn't have gotten as far as it did had it not been for the series inclusion in Smash Bros.....)

Eitherway, for now, I hope Level-5 would do something for the series during its tenth anniversary, even if it's just an HD remake of the original trilogy more or less like Capcom did for the Ace Attorney series....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Yeah this page and layton is the only reason i made a smashboards account never really commented on other pages or posts yet and it would be nice to have a site dedicated to layton even if it was simple

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think a dedicated fansite for the Professor Layton series could do wonders for the franchise. A lot of fans of the series could come together and talk and contribute about it as well as continuing to show their support for the franchise so that it can remain at the very least as a cult classic.
well we better find a way to make one then

any one know how?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would if I knew how to, fogbadge. You would need someone with good knowledge on how to build a website though.

Anyway, I decided to open up my personal 3D modelling thread over at the Professor Layton group in case you guys are interested in checking that out. I'll be sure to update it regularly and try to maintain the group a little better as I go along too. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would if I knew how to, fogbadge. You would need someone with good knowledge on how to build a website though.

Anyway, I decided to open up my personal 3D modelling thread over at the Professor Layton group in case you guys are interested in checking that out. I'll be sure to update it regularly and try to maintain the group a little better as I go along too. Hope you enjoy.
sounds cool

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The latest episode I watched of the Yokai Watch anime has very obvious references to Professor Layton, certainly shows Level-5 is still wanting to produce more Layton games. :p
(It's Episode 43 if you want to see it.)

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619

Where exactly can we find this wonderful wonderful thread?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The latest episode I watched of the Yokai Watch anime has very obvious references to Professor Layton, certainly shows Level-5 is still wanting to produce more Layton games. :p
(It's Episode 43 if you want to see it.)
I don't think its as much them wanting to make more Layton games as its them just giving the series a friendly nod..... If only though.... ^^

Come to think of it, I wonder why they never made an anime for the series. They have done so for Inazuma Eleven and now Yokai Watch and Eternal Diva was pretty popular too if I recall correctly....

Where exactly can we find this wonderful wonderful thread?
It's over at the Professor Layton group. Would you like me to send you an invite?

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
I don't think its as much them wanting to make more Layton games as its them just giving the series a friendly nod..... If only though.... ^^

Come to think of it, I wonder why they never made an anime for the series. They have done so for Inazuma Eleven and now Yokai Watch and Eternal Diva was pretty popular too if I recall correctly....

It's over at the Professor Layton group. Would you like me to send you an invite?
YESYESYESYESYESYES :chuckle:

Top Bottom