• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
I'd love an invite to that social group too, if it's not too much trouble(and assuming you don't mind me being there)! I plan on becoming a bit more active here. Also, when I was doing the rounds for Layton support on the internet again (the only thing I enjoy more than checking my wardrobe for moths) I noticed that this video which you've probably all already seen is at 1,700 likes. If they all voted Layton (fair assumption if we check the comments), we've actually got a stronger case than I thought we might have!

Also, for what it's worth and if anyone cares, I haven't ever done an actual model of Layton but I have done 3D-ish drawings of him and when it comes to getting the shape of his head right, I imagine a slice of bread. Bear with me a minute. The long sides replicate the sides of his head well, the poofy bit at the top is good for aligning the rim of his top hat and, by extension, his ears properly (draw am isoceles triangle from hat rim to where his sternum would be. The point of the triangle should be in line with/slightly below his armpits and the farthest bottom part of the ears come out to the sides of the triangle if the rim is accurate. You can draw another triangle from the rim to the bottom of his nose to get the lines to where the top of his ears join his head. And another from the rim to his chin to get the point where his lower ear joins his head[this one will be equilateral]. This triangle theory assumes a front profile, obviously and I recommend drawing a line directly through the middle of his head and body as a reference because it's easy to misjudge) and you can draw an arc at the bottom for his chin. Obviously you can't draw a 3D slice and expect to get a decent result from that, but I find it creates a good skeleton to work from. Don't know how well that'd work for a model and you're clearly very good at design so this is probably a waste of everyone's time, but I dunno, it's a formula I find useful and I thought I'd share it with people who might actually care!

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So in addition to working on my reveal trailer for Layton (which will be up soon, but once again, head on over to Layton social group to look at some information I created that will be important to understand his reveal trailer), I created some Miiverse art to promote Professor Layton for Smash Bros. I thought I'd share it here in case anyone wants to use it for their signatures here on Smashboards (it's a bit big though, so you'll need to re-size it on your own).

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd love an invite to that social group too, if it's not too much trouble(and assuming you don't mind me being there)! I plan on becoming a bit more active here. Also, when I was doing the rounds for Layton support on the internet again (the only thing I enjoy more than checking my wardrobe for moths) I noticed that this video which you've probably all already seen is at 1,700 likes. If they all voted Layton (fair assumption if we check the comments), we've actually got a stronger case than I thought we might have!

Also, for what it's worth and if anyone cares, I haven't ever done an actual model of Layton but I have done 3D-ish drawings of him and when it comes to getting the shape of his head right, I imagine a slice of bread. Bear with me a minute. The long sides replicate the sides of his head well, the poofy bit at the top is good for aligning the rim of his top hat and, by extension, his ears properly (draw am isoceles triangle from hat rim to where his sternum would be. The point of the triangle should be in line with/slightly below his armpits and the farthest bottom part of the ears come out to the sides of the triangle if the rim is accurate. You can draw another triangle from the rim to the bottom of his nose to get the lines to where the top of his ears join his head. And another from the rim to his chin to get the point where his lower ear joins his head[this one will be equilateral]. This triangle theory assumes a front profile, obviously and I recommend drawing a line directly through the middle of his head and body as a reference because it's easy to misjudge) and you can draw an arc at the bottom for his chin. Obviously you can't draw a 3D slice and expect to get a decent result from that, but I find it creates a good skeleton to work from. Don't know how well that'd work for a model and you're clearly very good at design so this is probably a waste of everyone's time, but I dunno, it's a formula I find useful and I thought I'd share it with people who might actually care!
Of course I'll add you, why would a Layton support group not add someone who is a Laytonite. We all are after all! :awesome:

I'll see what I can do. I'm just trying to find a good side view artwork of him somewhere. Perhaps I could probably use that one concept art of him from Curious Village, but he was chibi in that one.....
Thanks by the way.

That's a very nice artwork you've done as well @ Erureido Erureido very well done. ^^

Oh also, I found the article where Miyamoto mentioned the Professor Layton franchise in helping expand the female demographic during the DS era.
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
But typically with the DS era, what we found is, you know, gradually, more and more women began playing games—both young girls and adult women, playing games like Professor Layton and Animal Crossing, so more and more … and even as far back as Mario Kart, we had females who wanted to be able to play as female characters and we obviously saw the addition of Princess Peach early on in that series.
source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/21/miyamoto-discussed-the-role-of-females-in-game-narratives/

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've already got my Professor Layton rating planned early, so the first thing they will read once they start rating him to reconsider a higher rating.

By the way, I just thought of a genius (to me) idea for Layton's counter. How about using hint coins as a counter, he spends his coin to counter and reflect any projectiles and attacks (excluding Final Smashes) to opponent. He only has 3 hint coins to spare though, once he loses them, he'll have to wait to regenerate his coins again. A sound of a hint coin will play to indicate that you can use a counter.

Perhaps the hint coins could be essential to his special moves too, to balance his highly defensive playstyle.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh yeah, Professor Layton is up next for RTC tomorrow. That's gonna be.... interesting....

I'm not sure how much I should rate him though. In one hand, Layton is having some strong support from the Layton fandom which makes me very happy, but at the same time, the pessimist in me is telling me that Sakurai may have a way too high standards when it comes to third parties, even for DLC and despite saying that you can vote for any videogame character.... Even if Miyamoto himself respects the series for what it helped doing for the female demographic and how huge it was for the DS era and helped the 3DS get up its feet for the Japanese launch...... :/

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't think it will matter in the long run, and you already know how I feel when it comes to non-iconic third-parties. I'm hoping the rule gets broken soon by Sakurai, knowing him, he's probably going to break a few rules when choosing what types of characters he would like to add.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I'm fairly sure he will break the arbitrary "DLC characters can only be very popular/iconic characters because they need to sell" rule as knowing Sakurai, he will most likely include a surprise or two as DLC. Because from what I understood, they are mainly looking for suggestions. So if there is any character he really likes the idea of but may not be as popularly voted. I doubt he would just pass that character up. Much like what he did with Robin and Chrom. Hence why they asked us to explain why we want these characters as well.

Well. Seeing Layton making it in after all would make me the happiest person alive though. So despite that I don't want to get my hopes up too much. I do hope he makes it in. ^^

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Here's a sample of what I typed from my rating:

He also comes from a puzzle genre (a genre hardly represented in Smash), and we know that Sakurai wants to appeal to all sorts of gamers out there, and he has a large female demographic with the series that can cater to make Layton sell as DLC.
Sakurai went on to note the importance of not catering to one specific audience while developing a Super Smash Bros. game. Doing so would definitely make developing and balancing the game easier, but it would also reduce the number of people that would play and enjoy the game.
Just something to make you feel more confident on Layton.

By the way, I love your Toon Zelda with pajamas avatar, where did you get it?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's a sample of what I typed from my rating:

He also comes from a puzzle genre (a genre hardly represented in Smash), and we know that Sakurai wants to appeal to all sorts of gamers out there, and he has a large female demographic with the series that can cater to make Layton sell as DLC.

Just something to make you feel more confident on Layton.

By the way, I love your Toon Zelda with pajamas avatar, where did you get it?
Thanks Blue. I guess I'll try my best to do my part for the RTC thread as well.

Honestly, I lost confidence in a lot of characters I supported. The only characters I still have a little bit of hope for are Mallo and Toon Zelda. But if my most wanted character, Professor Layton where to make it in. I wouldn't even know what to say....

Thanks Blue. The link to the original artist who drew it is in my sig, I found it on Tumblr though. c:
Edit: Digged it up for you, Here you go.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I hope Sakurai adds him, he makes so much sense when you think of his merits, it will definitely make up for the loss of hope you had on many characters.

And I thought that was more of a sleepover picture, looks like I was wrong. xD

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I hope Sakurai adds him, he makes so much sense when you think of his merits, it will definitely make up for the loss of hope you had on many characters.

And I thought that was more of a sleepover picture, looks like I was wrong. xD
Yeah it certainly would. :)

Haha nah, her design is from that Japanese New Nintendo 3DS commercial. A lot of fan art came up for the characters that where in that commercial. :p

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
I think i would rate layton about 30 - 40 % might seem a bit high to some but he is one pf the few third parties that seems important to Nintendo history and seems Nintedoesc that is still relevant.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Unless people act completely ridiculously over at RTC, Layton will definitely be the highest rated third party over there other than Snake. Mainly because he's one of the few solid characters of a company that has strong Nintendo ties and hasn't imploded recently.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'll be sure to give him a decent case. The franchise has definitely done a lot for both Nintendo and Level-5, despite being quite a young franchise (That will soon near it's tenth birthday in about two years) and out of all the modern third parties. I'd say Professor Layton earned his place the most imho.

Last edited:

Wyzill

Smash Cadet
#Layton4Smash!

Layton launches into battle!

The professor puzzles his foes!

Layton confuses the competition.

I have smash art doWnloaded... how do you paste pics?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
#Layton4Smash!

Layton launches into battle!

The professor puzzles his foes!

Layton confuses the competition.

I have smash art doWnloaded... how do you paste pics?
Upload them on websites like Imgur and then use this
in your tool box to paste the link of the image in it.

Although if you have a lot or they are huge files, I may suggest putting them into spoiler tags first....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
oh yeah almost finished my layton cosplay for mcm on Friday my profile pic is the Luke i made for it

Wyzill

Smash Cadet

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Same thread or different threads?
In the same thread. If I was still a mod I would have fixed it for you but oh well. I'll leave it be but try not to do this with other threads or else you may get in trouble.

Also, I send you another invite.

Last edited:

Wyzill

Smash Cadet

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What can I say, I saw the opportunity to parody that tweet by Shantae's creative director that people were calling proof that she was going to be in the game. I just couldn't resist. :p
Haha you've done a good job with that. Certainly got a laugh out of it. :laugh:

By the way, I've done my part over at the Rate their Chances thread.

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
I missed my chance on that thread (I'll get him next time) but I think people were giving him a really bad and frankly unfair rap. People openly said "I've never played his game" and "he's a boring character and would have a boring moveset" - so many things are wrong with that. There should probably be some guidelines on that thread - that's like me saying 9-Volt would be bad because I've never played WarioWare (well, I played the GBA one but I never got far) and he looks stupid and his moveset would be stupid. No foundations to base that opinion on and a Wario fan would tell me that it's not true. Layton has a pretty solid chance and anyone who's played his games are endeared to the character, and he could have multiple decent movesets if you actually bothered to give it a little bit of thought. I want Layton absolutely 100% - he's the only character I voted for. I think he has a 40% chance, roughly, and here's why:
+ First and foremost, he has a not-insignificant number of ballot votes. This should speak for itself.
+he has one of the most diverse fanbases in Nintendo history. I think this will be a huge factor in considering who does and doesn't get in from the ballot. They're not going to include a character only voted for by males in their mid to late 20s; similarly they won't put in "generic Pokemon X" because a load of nine year olds of both genders outvoted everyone else. (Admittedly Skrelp would be rather funny)
+ He himself is Nintendo-exclusive. I think there was a Pokemon iOS release at some point so that brief moonlight for the series means nothing. Actually, Pokemon and Game Freak have a very similar relationship to Nintendo as Layton and Level-5.
+ he's probably Level-5's most iconic character (I live in the UK and have no idea whatsoever what that red mutant cat's name is), and Level-5 are on increasingly good terms with Nintendo so to not get any representation AT ALL would be stupid.
+ he's an instantly recognisable character with a highly unique charm, personaility and design - absolutely perfect for the more "cartoon-y" Smash 4.
+ A critically acclaimed franchise, by critics, players and top Nintendo bods.
+ He'd represent not only a new series, but a new genre. (Doc Mario does NOT count...) More diversity can't be a bad thing.
+ The DS owes a lot of it's success to him. You can't just rule him out on the grounds of "he wasn't that much of a breakout third party" because a lot of the DS' continuous traction came from him, not just staples such as Pokemon. Frankly, he deserves it.
+ Who wouldn't want to see Kirby in a top hat. It'd be too adorable.

However:
- He is third party. Whilst I doubt they'll rule out all third parties just because they're third parties (that would be moronic if you ask me) , he's jostling with a lot of stiff competition and third-party status is an obvious hinderance.
- Ballot results are very solid but not especially standout. He's not in the top 10 in any of the polls I've seen (usually coming in at about 20, which is neither bad nor great).
- He's a dying force. Rather depressingly, he's suffering a similar fate to Banjo & Kazooie. A great franchise being wasted.
- Unfounded negative opinions scream louder than the "but he's actually pretty awesome" voices on the internet, and Layton's being hated on so hard by some people that he makes Pichu's life look like luxury. It pains me to think that this would have an influence but it probably will subtly.

I think that after all of this, Layton is actually one of the most likely third parties being considered. Let's be real here, they're probably going to add more than one character from the ballot, and at least one of them's more likely than not going to be third party, so it's not as much of a problem as people say. I'm not getting my hopes up, but he's got a better chance than a lot of people seem to think.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Besides, the ballot isn't a popularity contest.

It doesn't matter if Prof. Layton gets one, two, or ten thousand votes, if Sakurai likes the idea, he'll include Layton.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@ Laytonite Laytonite
Yeah people did put up some very poor arguements in there as well as showing their lack of knowledge on these characters. "I've never played his game, therefore he has no moveset potential!". Like really? Do some research on these characters first before you rate them....

Then again, Rate their Chances has always been a pretty poor place to speculate on characters so I don't really often visit there and only post there if I actually know the character well enough to post my thoughts on or there is a very one-sided view on certain ones. Otherwise I just leave that place be.... :T

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Besides, the ballot isn't a popularity contest.
Can someone explain this line of thinking to me? I'd like to have some hope too.

I do think of it as a popularity contest, because well, it's a ballot.

It's a good place to get some general opinions on characters, though it's hard to convince someone to give a fair rating though.
In their defence, what they think is fair may not be the same as you.

:231:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Can someone explain this line of thinking to me? I'd like to have some hope too.

I do think of it as a popularity contest, because well, it's a ballot.

:231:
I think part of it has to do with the fact the developers are asking for us to explain our reasons for why these characters should be included, not to mention that the poll is so open that people can easily rig it and they are doing so..... unless they have some kind of filter for it that only registers our first votes or overwrite to the last one. Depends on the whole IP address and how they have set it up.

Considering the reason Sakurai made Mewtwo a public available character was due to families with multiple 3DS systems. There is a possibility they considered the idea of multiple siblings wanting to vote too, hence why they asked for one vote per person.

Also I don't think all the votes in the world is going to change Sakurai's mind on the likes of Ridley and Chrom.....

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Finally cast my vote... For Layton.

Here's hoping the puzzle of Layton's inclusion will be solved.

Top Bottom