• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welp, I posted my models over at the VG Resources for advise etc. Hopefully I'll be able to further improve these models.

Anyway, I don't think any of you have seen my Layton mobile model so I guess you can take a look at it here if you want.

I also lowered Flora's heels in case I decide to model some of her Curious Village outfits.... ^^

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Welp, I posted my models over at the VG Resources for advise etc. Here's hoping I don't get lynched....

Anyway, I don't think any of you have seen my Layton mobile model so I guess you can take a look at it here if you want.

I also lowered Flora's heels in case I decide to model some of her Curious Village outfits.... ^^
omg, that Flora and Laytonmobile model are beyond adorable

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Welp, I posted my models over at the VG Resources for advise etc. Hopefully I'll be able to further improve these models.

nice

Mnaterap

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-3666-4999
Well... I finished Unwound Future, now I see why almost everyone called it their favorite professor layton game, but now there is an empty space that will not be filled by any other game series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well... I finished Unwound Future, now I see why almost everyone called it their favorite professor layton game, but now there is an empty space that will not be filled by any other game series.
welcome to the club

still we can all ways hope therell be more

by which i mean me CV and whoever else is up for it take over level-5 and force them to make more

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose we could always do like the dev's of Mother 4 do and develop a fan game.....

That's going to take a lot of time and efford to accomplish though.....

I suppose the most I can do is make a Smash 4 style model and assets for Layton. And when/if Smash 4 modding reaches similar heights as Brawl modding is today. Try and develop Layton into a playable character in his own right. (Assuming he doesn't become DLC) But that's looking very far ahead into the future though and I've got my own project to worry about.....

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
To be honest, I've kind of been brainstorming ideas for Layton plots for a while now. This could be a real collaboration if we decide to do this fan game. Bearing in mind, I know nothing about the technical side of things, but apparently I'm a pretty good writer.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Layton fan game?

That would be a lot of work... Considering art, music, sprites, puzzles, and story.

It'd be fun to see done though...!

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
The biggest problem with this, as BluePikmin11 says, would probably be the puzzles. I would have thought you'd need a large focus group of all kinds of people to ensure they work how they should. I could see a small number like 60 puzzles being feasible in a fan-made game, if you do a few puzzles of all kinds like maths, drawing circles round things, multiple choice, etc., and allowing for extensive testing and multiple rewrites, considering that you can just throw the majority of them literally anywhere in the game as soon as they are ready. (Obviously the first 20 or so puzzles need to be fairly easy, but beyond that, it doesn't matter much.)
If you look at the puzzles in the series, you'd find that many of the puzzles are really, REALLY similar and require the same train of thought but with different wording - what I'm trying to get at is the designers seem to have a formula for these puzzles that they follow rather than always starting from scratch with every new puzzle, and I suppose the trick is working out what that is. If you get that, you'd be set.

If we actually made this a thing, I'd be happy to help because I really want to see the player use the Laytonmobile to get between locations with free reign. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think puzzles are fine, you just need to come up with as creative idea's as the dev's. But implementing most of them should be fairly simple. I think the real problem with a Layton fangame is making professional looking animated cutscenes......

Eitherway, it was just a little suggestion. Developing a game in general takes a lot of time and effort to execute.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I think rather than starting with a whole game, it would be better to have a small proof of concept type thing, maybe with Layton doing something in the university.

Also, on a more unrelated note, has anyone played Evoland 2? The trailer had a small Layton-esque puzzle solving section and I wondered how big that section was.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hence why I said. The most I can do is make a Smash 4 styled 3D model and assets for him for future use (More or less like I did for Flora) as the task of making a full fan game is way out of my league....

Not to mention that I am already working on a game project myself right now that would need most of my attention..... ^^

Last edited:

danbrysmi

Smash Rookie
I'd love to help with the fan game but I'm 14 so I don't have much experience in any of the areas of expertise. I could help with the puzzles maybe, but what I would really want to do is make some Laytonesque music. I mainly do piano and there will be someone on this forum way more qualified than I am. Just saying I'd love to help somehow :)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think you could come up with Professor Layton styled puzzles if you where to learn the way they where designed in the games. How did the developers come up with the puzzle? How did they structure it so that there wouldn't be any alternative solutions? What was the overall process behind those ideas? How did they make certain ones fit in into current story? etc etc.

There is also a lot of thinking outside the box type of puzzles (Such as the infamous mouse puzzle from Curious Village) as well as common puzzles such as the sliding tile puzzles etc.

I would love to try and design my own Layton esque puzzles myself one day and I may even do so too....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Whose to say we limit our puzzles to the limitations of a 3ds we could have riddles that involve a text/word based answer not to mention all the numerous other puzzle types out there. If we are serious about this and we all chipped in something it seems achievable

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention that a lot of the puzzles are easy to design if you start with an endpoint and work to a place where it's so muddled it's difficult, like the get the ball out, math, shape-based, or packing puzzles. They seem difficult to create if you approach them from the point of view of a solver, but... Ahem... Critical thinking is the key to success.

Yo is there going to be a Mystery Room segment in this

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Coming up with most puzzles should be doable. As you said, a number of them is more or less working backwards (As well as memorizing the steps you took for the hints.)

Also, why did no one tell me that Miiverse added a screenshot album recently.

This should make taking screenshots so much less of a hassle.

I suppose this should be the closest thing for me to get a good look at Layton's Azran Legacy model since his model still isn't available for public use....

Just need to find a point in the game where he faces the left or right...... :T

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
Coming up with most puzzles should be doable. As you said, a number of them is more or less working backwards (As well as memorizing the steps you took for the hints.)

Also, why did no one tell me that Miiverse added a screenshot album recently.

This should make taking screenshots so much less of a hassle.

I suppose this should be the closest thing for me to get a good look at Layton's Azran Legacy model since his model still isn't available for public use....

Just need to find a point in the game where he faces the left or right...... :T
I can't remember if it's an exactly side profile or not, but you know in vs AA there are some puzzles which Layton and Wright solve together? I think that one of the dark frames feature the two looking at each other, and another two feature one or the other facing either left or right - I think Layton looks to the right. Could you work with that?

Moving on from the puzzles themselves, I actually have a puzzle theme I composed and have been keeping in a folder for quite a while now which I could record and incorporate other instruments whenever I get hold of the software and equipment I need. Which likely won't be any time soon and looking at it now, it could do with a little bit of tweaking anyway. But the offer's there.
Assuming of course that we find someone with actual experience programming games...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can't remember if it's an exactly side profile or not, but you know in vs AA there are some puzzles which Layton and Wright solve together? I think that one of the dark frames feature the two looking at each other, and another two feature one or the other facing either left or right - I think Layton looks to the right. Could you work with that?

Moving on from the puzzles themselves, I actually have a puzzle theme I composed and have been keeping in a folder for quite a while now which I could record and incorporate other instruments whenever I get hold of the software and equipment I need. Which likely won't be any time soon and looking at it now, it could do with a little bit of tweaking anyway. But the offer's there.
Assuming of course that we find someone with actual experience programming games...
I'm afraid not since his Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright model is vastly different from his Azran Legacy model. :/

Well..... I am a game developer...... in training.....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
^ yeah programming seems to be the hardest part of this (I know some basics but have never even attempted to make games yet) But is nice to see us collaborating like this.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think we should first draft up some idea's in regards to the story, characters, puzzles and overall setting etc

Assuming we are actually being serious about this.....

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Well, if we do decide to do this, I cannot stress enough how much I have thought about my own ideas for Layton plots, so I'll have some interesting stuff to bring to the table...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose the best way to begin is to start small and nothing overly complex. In order to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of the franchise as well as putting together a basic engine to work with and then build on top of that. Like a setting similar to Curious Village. Or if we can. Maybe even try and remake/remaster Curious Village?

Last edited:

danbrysmi

Smash Rookie
When would the game take place? First trilogy? Second? In between? Before? After? This has an impact of which characters e.g. Emmy, Flora, Don Paulo, Descole,Chelmey, Grosky, even in terms of Granny Riddleton and Puzzlette. Or would we go for new characters altogether?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose another question would be if it would involve 3D models like the 3DS games or sprite art like the DS games.

I think working with 3D models would be easier in the long run.....

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
In regards to the placement of the story, I think it makes sense to set the game after the events of the Unwound Future, since the game left us with a hint at future adventures.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I think the best place to put it is after the events of Lost Future. That way everyone is open to return. (Provided they didn't canonically die or something..... which none of the recurring cast did)

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I suppose the best way to begin is to start small and nothing overly complex. In order to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of the franchise as well as putting together a basic engine to work with and then build on top of that. Like a setting similar to Curious Village. Or if we can. Maybe even try and remake/remaster Curious Village?
Something along the scale of CV would work best.

Small, enclosed town with plenty of locked doors.

Top Bottom