• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I wanted Layton in Smash since I completed Curious Village. Layton is actually my personal favorite game series of all time (odd, isn't it? It's a puzzle game and yet I prefer it over RPG's, adventure games, etc.). I remember thinking about the next Smash after Brawl was out and I was like "Wow, they could add in like... a bunch more third-parties in the next smash" but it's starting to look like we're hitting a stop with third-parties... oh well... maybe next time :/

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I wanted Layton in Smash since I completed Curious Village. Layton is actually my personal favorite game series of all time (odd, isn't it? It's a puzzle game and yet I prefer it over RPG's, adventure games, etc.). I remember thinking about the next Smash after Brawl was out and I was like "Wow, they could add in like... a bunch more third-parties in the next smash" but it's starting to look like we're hitting a stop with third-parties... oh well... maybe next time :/
But remember the Rayman trophy? It shows that sakurai asks around for assets for 3rd party characters.

It could mean good things for Layton.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Nintendo can fit one more Third Party character in SSB4 then it has to be Professor Layton.

Throughout his whole gaming life, Professor Layton has only supported Nintendo and Nintendo's consoles.

He is synonymous with the Nintendo DS and 3DS handhelds.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This is pretty good. Took him long enough though :p
Yeah. I am serious though, if we only get one more Third party space available then Professor Layton is the only one who deserves to take it, because of his support with only being found on Nintendo platforms.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yeah. I am serious though, if we only get one more Third party space available then Professor Layton is the only one who deserves to take it, because of his support with only being found on Nintendo platforms.
Dude, pretty much everyone agrees.

Except a few insane Bomberman fans.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Dude, pretty much everyone agrees.

Except a few insane Bomberman fans.
And Snake hopefuls. I mean really, a character that has supported Nintendo all their life has contributed enough to get in.

Edit: If it seems unclear, I mean that Professor Layton is the one who has contributed enough to get in SSB4.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here is something for you guys:

Credit to evilwaluigi.
Oh yeah I've seen that piece before. I do really like how it turned out and I do really like the idea of Layton's red, blue and yellow colour swaps being based off his three assistants/students. :)

But yeah, with us having a Rayman trophy in the game makes me a bit more hopeful that Layton will at least get some sort of acknowledgement in the games. He already has a very good looking 3D model for the 3DS version at least and they could probably also get some resources to design an HD model for Layton's Wii U trophy from Level-5 if they could.

At least, I hope Layton will at least show up as a trophy at this point....

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Finished Azran Legacy last night so I've finally gotten through the last of the games available to me at this point. Been an interest run across six games.

Last edited:

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
As much as it would be cool for Layton to be playable (And it would REALLY be cool :) ) I just don't see it happening, mostly because his moveset

I just have a tough time thinking of what Layton could do in a fight :p

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually shocked Layton hasn't made it into the game yet, sometimes I'm shocked when I remember he's not 1st party, since he's basically a nintendo character already.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Did you use Google translate or something? Because I'm not quite sure what he's trying to say.....

But yeah, I think he's pretty aware of the Professor Layton series since Layton was requested to both him and Layton's creator during that one talk show... But I guess it's nice to have a bit more reassurance...

As much as it would be cool for Layton to be playable (And it would REALLY be cool :) ) I just don't see it happening, mostly because his moveset

I just have a tough time thinking of what Layton could do in a fight :p
There's plenty he can do, you can simply refer to the OP to get at least one idea from it. Besides, I'm fairly sure Sakurai and his team are creative enough to come up with something interesting for him if they ever wanted to include him into the game. They have done it before for a number of characters with arguably even less to go with than Layton.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Layton will at the very least have a trophy, methinks. He would be a very nice addition to the Sm4sh roster.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the supporters list. Professor Layton sounds like a good trophy.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
add me too Layton is one third party character that I support, I certainly think he deserves to get in more than snake.

Last edited:

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
AND MY AXE

...*cough* uh, yeah, I mean, I support you as well. I'd be disappointed if there is absolutely no mention of Professor Layton in SSB4 at all, even just a trophy.
And I'd be a lot more disappointed if Inazuma Eleven (another popular Level-5 franchise) got a trophy instead.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Came back to check on this thread for the first time in a while, and that Twitter pick is great news. It seems like Sakurai got a hold of some of the original film for PLvsAA cutscenes. Very intriguing stuff, for Smash, that could be for stage references, trophy references, or even for a trailer in the style of the Layton games (though I assume he would just get BONES to actually animate for him).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
See, I can barely even read the post.. but that does seem to be what he's talking about.
I'm just assuming he's referring to Snake as fogbadge is a pretty big Layton supporter himself, so it would be a bit odd if he would think that Layton shouldn't get in over a Goomba.....

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm just assuming he's referring to Snake as fogbadge is a pretty big Layton supporter himself, so it would be a bit odd if he would think that Layton shouldn't get in over a Goomba.....
I took "Everyone deserves to be in over him" the wrong way then.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Here's a thought. Does Layton being third party really HURT his chances? He's basically a Nintendo character that they would just classify as third party. A lot of people who worked on the game said that they would enjoy seeing him in Smash, so it shouldn't be any work at all to get him in. Plus, everything needed is there; stages, music, the emblem, maybe even a potential moveset. It's all still entirely possible.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Here's a thought. Does Layton being third party really HURT his chances? He's basically a Nintendo character that they would just classify as third party. A lot of people who worked on the game said that they would enjoy seeing him in Smash, so it shouldn't be any work at all to get him in. Plus, everything needed is there; stages, music, the emblem, maybe even a potential moveset. It's all still entirely possible.
Sadly, being a 3rd party character alone is what makes me doubtful about him. If Level-5 was a 1st party Nintendo company then he'd be a shoo-in but getting him in the game would be expensive and complicated, especially with Sakurai mentioning that he's not going to add too many 3rd party characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the best we could probably hope for Layton in this installment is him getting the Rayman treatment, that is to say a Trophy, or maybe even an Assist Trophy if we are very lucky. (and if they would even do that)

Even though the series is published by Nintendo outside of Japan, everything is fully done by Level-5 themselves in Japan with this series nowadays so it's more or less a full third party series.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I feel his 'chances' are low, but if he DOES get in as a playable char let's just say that I will be excited beyond belief. 'Trophy status' seems most likely and I would be satisfied with that. Only satisfied, though. If Nintendo wants be hyped, they know what to do.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
unfortunately basically being a nintendo character and being a nintendo character aren't the same thing so it kind of does though like many others after seeing the rayman trophy im fairly certain the greatest gentleman ever may get a nice little cameo

and on a different point @ Pazzo. Pazzo. yes i was referring to snake as kikwi said im a huge layton supporter

Top Bottom