• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, yes and no.

There is a second animated film in development from what I've seen, but this trailer was made for informational purposes.
Oh I see, well interesting that they are apparently setting it up to be in between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy though as they have more or less connected the trilogy together just fine but I guess we'll see.

Would have kinda preferred it to be somewhere in the original trilogy or after Unwound/Lost Future but okay. Hopefully this means that they are still planning to carry the series on then.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh, a second Layton film is possibly in the works? I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm totally a supporter. I think that he will be awesome, and if his "friend" Phoenix Wright can fight, why not the London's Gentleman?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm totally a supporter. I think that he will be awesome, and if his "friend" Phoenix Wright can fight, why not the London's Gentleman?
I've added you to the supporters, welcome on board.

Layton has shown quite a bit of combat skills himself before so that's good.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just finished Azran Legacy, and I have a (spoiling) question for you guys:
The ending in AL has a scene from the the very first cutscene of Layton series ending with a "To be Continued", do you think we will we get a 3DS version of the first 3 Layton games, just like how the Ace Attorney has a trilogy coming to the eShop?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 Probably not. At least not yet. I can see Level-5 remaking/porting the original trilogy someday but I think doing that around this time may be a bit too early. Perhaps during the series 10th anniversary.

I hope the apparent possibility of a second movie means that we could possibly see another trilogy soon though (Preferably after the original trilogy)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So apparently there's a 3rd party handheld only direct tomorrow. This could be the last chance for Layton!

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
So apparently there's a 3rd party handheld only direct tomorrow. This could be the last chance for Layton!
I hate to be a downer, but I feel as though if there were to be a character reveal, there would be a Direct for the rest of the world too. But it's still possible.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Is it a world wide direct or a regional direct? Eitherway, I don't think we will be seeing anything interesting in regards of Layton though. Perhaps more Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright stuff for America but not sure in terms of Smash Bros or the main series really. Especially if it's a regional direct.

I'm not really finding much info about a 3rd party handheld direct at the NoE website so I'm going to assume that it's a regional direct.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
character reveal are usually in the big directs so it wouldnt have been to likely any way

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Good news everyone! Even if Layton unfortunately doesn't make it into the game, it looks like 3rd party characters will still at least be represented by trophies! In other words, he can get in looking better than ever anyway.
Frankly it's suddenly looking like if he isn't even in the game as a trophy, that's an insult to the franchise.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah today's update certainly improved my spirits in at least seeing Layton show up in one way or another. I don't know how far Sakurai is willing to take this whole third party trophies thing. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing Layton at least receive a friendly nod of some kind in these games. Whether it is with him being playable, an assist trophy or just a regular trophy.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd be astonished at this point if Professor Layton isn't a trophy. Unless it turns out a Ubisoft rep IS playable, which I doubt. Rayman was the #1 pick from Ubisoft.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Oh, a second Layton film is possibly in the works? I'm definitely looking forward to it.
Yeah, the first one was pretty nice all considered. I'm a sucker for Layton, I'd be OK with just a movie if we can't get a proper sequel (still haven't played Vs Ace Attorney though).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, today's update significantly raised my hopes for Layton getting some representation, especially since Layton is (at the moment) Nintendo exclusive. Luke Trophy go!

We might even get an epic Prof. Layton vs. Ace Attorney trophy. :awesome:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Layton? That's a stupid game.

Jk I really think he would make a unique character because of the fact that you wouldn't expect him in a fighting game. You can see him like Wii Fit Trainer with the most random and unexpected movesets, and the games themselves are pretty epic, which would be a good reason for him to be represented in SSB4.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd at least love to see a trophy... which seem much more likely now.

Stalwartguardian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alarith
3DS FC
0963-0545-3127
Hmm, it's a long shot, but sign me up as supporter. I've played the first 4 of his games and it would be great to see him. At the very least I'll be able to make a mii of him.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just want you guys to know that I got a pre-owned Curious Village today, It's really good so far even at DS capabilities. :D
Oh Curious Village. That was my first Layton game.

It may not have all the bells and whistles and be outdone by it's sequels and prequels (but hey, it was the first game after all and Level-5 was a bit experimental with it) I still quite enjoy playing this game every once in a while. :)

That said, I still really enjoyed the NPC interaction in that game the most. Kinda wish Level-5 did a bit more with that in the newer games (I guess there was that Episodes feature they introduced at the prequels perhaps but still)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I don't know much about Professor Layton so I was wondering. According to this list, where does Professor Layton's moveset classify? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey guys, I don't know much about Professor Layton so I was wondering. According to this list, where does Professor Layton's moveset classify? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Well.... It's kinda hard to tell if he isn't even confirmed yet. But if he has a mix between fencing and using various equipments. I guess he might be somewhere in between Ranger and Zoner? I'm not sure... ^^;

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well.... It's kinda hard to tell if he isn't even confirmed yet. But if he has a mix between fencing and using equipment. I guess he might be somewhere in between Ranger and Zoner? I'm not sure... ^^;
Thanks for your input, this helps me understand how each speculated supported character would play.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks for your input, this helps me understand how each speculated supported character would play.
Yeah in between Zoner or Ranger if his moveset consists of fencing and using various things such as the slot machine gun or catapult. Or trickster if they would incorporate the various puzzles he solves I would say.

And you're welcome.

Anorak

Smash Rookie
Super smash and prof vs ace attorney will be at Comic Con. Do you think he will be announced there?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I just want you guys to know that I got a pre-owned Curious Village today, It's really good so far even at DS capabilities. :D
:v Curious Village has to be worst Layton IMO, but that's not an insult...it's incredibly amazing, but the other ones are even more amazing.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
:v Curious Village has to be worst Layton IMO, but that's not an insult...it's incredibly amazing, but the other ones are even more amazing.
Yeah, unwound future was the best one IMO. Then again, I never played any of the 3DS ones.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah, unwound future was the best one IMO. Then again, I never played any of the 3DS ones.
I have a hard time deciding whether Azran Legacies is better than Unwound Future, right now they're tied on my list. Miracle Mask was pretty good.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I still kinda enjoyed Curious Village better than the Elysian Box and the Last Specter's Call at least but yeah, their all great.

My absolute favourite has to be Unwound/Lost Future (guess no surprises there). I just found that game the most fun out of the bunch and it has the most replayablitiy for me. I also kinda liked how it was the first game where other characters could solve puzzles too (Future Luke, Flora and Don Paolo "technically") and where a bit more a part of the game than previous games.

Kinda makes me wish they would actually do a sequel trilogy again....

Stalwartguardian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alarith
3DS FC
0963-0545-3127
Of the four I played, the first trilogy and last specter, I liked unwound future the best. It seemed like it had a lot more stuff. I also liked the puzzle battles from it, because I thought those were some of the coolest puzzles.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I started with Unwound/Lost Future and my goodness that game is pretty perfect in comparison to it's predecessors. Especially the original, with how Layton's position in his speaking portraits. Seems a little awkward since Layton appears to be facing away from the people he's speaking to, something a gentleman would never do.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Guess that explains Hades in Kid Icarus Uprising......

Anyway, are people still interested in the Layton codec's? Haven't really been doing them for a while and the newcomers seem to be piling up a lot lately. Guess I might get on to it sometime soon... ^^;

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alrighty, guess I'm going to do the newcomers now because I'm starting to get a bit bored with doing the veterans all the time.

Here's Greninja for Luke, Rosalina & Luma for Flora and Robin for Emmy.

I say, that's quite the fast Frog right there..... or is it a Ninja?
Oh that's Greninja right there Professor!
Greninja you say? Is this another one of those Pokemon?
Yeah, I've heard that it's a water and dark type Pokemon, he has the ability to create water shurikens or water blades from.... water, I suppose.
Sounds like a pretty talented opponent if he can create weapons from water.
Yeah, I sure would like to have a chat with him someday. Greninja seems to be a pretty cool Pokemon.
He sure is a pretty interesting anim- err... I mean, Pokemon, yes..
Well that's quite the elegant Lady over there, I wonder who she could be....
Oh, I think that's miss Rosalina, Professor.... I've heard that she's a woman who lives in outer space. One who is known as the protector of the cosmos.
A very fascinating occupation I suppose. Do you think, you could tell me more about her, Flora dear?
I suppose so, she has been living the vast majority of her life all alone in outer space, with only her little Luma companions by her side. Though she used to live with her mother and brother during her younger years, but after she left to outer space, she never saw them again. Leaving it with just her and her Luma companions to take care of.
I see, I suppose that explains her rather calm and lonely nature.
Yeah, although I have heard that she can get very bubbly whenever she is among Mario and his friends. I suppose as much as she loves her Luma companions, she also really longs for some human contact again after losing her family that was so dear to her.
I see, guess our good friend Rosalina has something a little in common with someone else we know... Right?
Huh? Who could that be, Professor?
I suppose that's a puzzle I'll leave for you to solve, my dear.
Out of every fighter I've battled so far, this person seems to be knowing what he is doing the most.
That's Robin Professor, the Tactician of the Shepherds of Ylisse.
A Tactician you say Emmy? Well that explain everything. This person has good planning and strategic skills.
Yeah, anything Robin does must have been planned very well in advance. I bet he probably looked into you and your battle skills before he went into battle so he would be well prepared for anything you may have to throw at him.
I see.
But hey Professor, you're no slouch in that department either right? You're a puzzle solver after all. All you need to do is outsmart Robin in whatever magical spell gets cast on you!
I suppose you're right with that Emmy. I suppose this will not just be a regular battle, but also a battle of wits between me and our good friend Robin.
Good luck Professor. I'm sure you can take him on!

Didn't manage to keep Robin gender neutral, sorry....

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
I will also support Layton.
I played every game and it would be awesome if he is in.
Besides he would have a very interesting moveset.

Top Bottom