• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Padlock Theory (Evidence of More Characters)

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Hey everybody, so a couple of friends and I (including some smashboarders like Golden Lotus and RavenKingSage) were talking the last few days and started asking questions about the final outcome of the game and its roster, most specifically about All-Star mode, and we've come to believe that the way All-Star works strongly implies that more characters will be added to the roster. I'm going to sum it up quickly below, but I also did a video detailing the theory and its implications, here:

Essentially, we have a very hard time explaining why All-Star Mode would be available from the very beginning unless the original 'final roster' wouldn't remain the final roster forever. There seems to be little rhyme or reason towards having it there at the start of the game when you don't need it to unlock anybody, and if the purpose of the padlock was really to tell you when you've finished the roster then why didn't Sakurai just leave All-Star the way it was?

The only conclusion we could come to is that the roster would grow over time. If All-Star was only available when the roster was complete, then a roster addition would suddenly make it disappear again until you unlocked that character--that would be incredibly annoying. Therefore, the only compelling reason to make All-Star available from the beginning is to accommodate a roster that, for the first time in Smash history, would change over time. Just who these characters are and how you get them isn't important, and I honestly have little to no idea who that would be, though I can make some guesses and have my own desires.

This is just a theory at this point, but I'm posting it here because I think it has a lot of merit. That said, I'm also open for a lot of discussion and various points of view. So, let's talk about it.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I fully support your theory. And I must add something that may help to back it up...

The fact that the digital file is WAY smaller than what the box says is very suspicious. Also the fact that the CSS has some unexplained empty spaces and the way it's sorted is very odd. Same goes for the stage selection screen, with an unexplained blank space.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I fully support your theory. And I must add something that may help to back it up...

The fact that the digital file is WAY smaller than what the box says is very suspicious. Also the fact that the CSS has some unexplained empty spaces and the way it's sorted is very odd. Same goes for the stage selection screen, with an unexplained blank space.
This is interesting. One question, exactly how much memory/space would it usually take up to fit in a playable character?

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
This is interesting. One question, exactly how much memory/space would it usually take up to fit in a playable character?
Well, considering 9320 blocks can fit 51 characters, 35 stages, 686 trophies and a ton of modes, menus and stuff, I'd say there's room for A LOT more stuff.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Well... that's strange. Yeah, i support this theory.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Look at the ROSTER AL THE CHARACTERS.

There not just empty space but the Characters slot, I mean the little square slot. All the smash bros game have the roster fit in a Giant box and very lineal and correctly but... In smash 4, he din't. I think were gonna heva more of it.

In smash 4 is feel there more characters to come as DLC. There more of it.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Totally agree with this. I hate it when people keep crying over Ridley and Mewtwo, seriously acting like spoilt brats....

Wolf hasn't returned and I didn't get Isaac and you don't see me moaning =/

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
3DS exclusive newcomers are Bowser Junior, Pittoo, and Duck Hunt Dog. Wii U exclusive veterans are Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Wolf. Both versions will have the same characters, but you have to link the two in order to obtain them all. There seems to be one extra space after you include three more for this version, so that could probably mean Dr. Mario is also a 3DS exclusive or we get another character outside of linking the 3DS to the Wii U. Three newcomers and a veteran for the 3DS and three veterans and a newcomer for the Wii U. Probably Chorus Kids. Believe all you want that there is a chance for Mewtwo, King K Rool, and Ridley to be playable, but that chance is really small and I doubt we'll ever get them. Sakurai seems to like obscure, random characters more than the well known ones many have asked him to include. Personally I dont want Ridley, as his scaled down size would make his neck thin and wingspan crazy. Alligator on crack is a side character from a Mario subseries, Diddy Kong was the best choice for a side character. That would be like adding Captain Syrup to smash. We dont need a villian from a sub series. Too many side characters and the roster becomes unknown and less enjoyable to the rest. Mewtwo did have a unique moveset, but there are alnost 1000 pokemon now, we need something new every game. Games with large casts need a constant replacement every game. Fire Emblem and Pokemon are two goid examples. In the next game we'll probably be saying goodbye to Lucina, Robin, or Ike. Although Lucina will probably be demoted to alternate costume where she belongs. Greninja should be cut in the next smash for a newer rep. Maybe we will see a veteran return, as smash 4 is the first game to revive a forgotten character. We now have hope for Roy, Mewtwo. I like bog blocks and going out of topic. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Last edited:

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92

I saw that earlier too, just forgot to mention it. I'm really wondering just how much each addition would take up; there's no way the game's going to almost double in size.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
These are all good points. I definitely feel we haven't seen everything yet. The sneaky spirit, but no Chorus Kids, and the handling of Ridley are just too strange for their to be nothing else.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Which is more likely?

A) DLC for newcomers and the missin 3.

B) Free update or patch to include them.

C)They have been cut.

D)There are Wii U and 3DS exclusives and the only way to obtain them is by linking the systems.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I think A, B, or a combination of both is most likely. D is heavily suggested, but I also feel it punishes players who don't have both systems more than it rewards those who do.

I'd be down for paid DLC if he starts off with some good characters released via spotpass leading up to the Wii U's release. Might just be wishful thinking though.

Top Bottom