• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Spatman

Smash Ace
I fear K Rool 's costume doesn't affect the possibilities of the real character...
I hope Dixie will be in as the best female character possible, even if it seems hard to see 2 dlc characters from the same brand

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I gotta admit I don't really like the Bomberman model, but that K. Rool looks pretty cool. I'm still skeptical about the rumor though.
If I'm being honest, I think it's incredibly telling that there isn't a Dixie hat/ponytail Mii costume yet, whereas there is a K Rool one. I've got a sneaking suspicion that this thread will be celebrating soon. But it's the same ESP feeling I had about Robin 4 days before he was unveiled (Disregard the fact that I also said Ridley at the time).

If I'm wrong then just forget I said anything.

I'm not a huge Bomberman supporter but I think there are far worse choices. I often compare Bomberman and Megaman as being very similar cacti and tbh I think he'd fit well. I don't think he'd be unlikely at all, either.
Y'know what..that gives me hope for Dixie.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
It's been awhile coming here. Sorry for not posting here often.

Anyway, did you guys see this? http://smashifiedart.com/characters/dixie-kong

They did in awesome job.
It's okay. You don't have to post here regularly in order to support Dixie.

I think the Smashified artwork looks amazing aside form a couple of minor nitpicks (mainly the size of Dixie's head and ponytail), but I would never be able to make anything close to that quality, so I can't complain too much. I love their attention to detail and their ability to take assets from other characters' official artworks in order to make their art look like it was made by the development team.

On a different note, it's interesting to see that we have 3 characters practically confirmed to be in development. I had already expected around that number, but it's nice to see that it's in the data. I also like how none of those characters are named, so we don't know who they are. It keeps the speculation interesting. Keeping my fingers crossed for Dixie.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well, the end is nigh but t it's just the beginning. We know our girl is gonna get her chance to fight with the best and reunite with her friends again.

She can't be kept out of Smash for too long and the best Kong will shine once again.

Dixie4Life and the support thread was a great experience with you guys. And you forgot to add in my name for the members of the support thread

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Final day now. I can only hope I get to see a childhood heroine of mine from the adventures through nostalgic and very familiar Scandinavia-inspired lands.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So, this is it. I managed to get someone else to vote. Here's what they said:

The Donkey Kong country games have sold millions of copies and is lacking a fair amount of playable characters. Dixie is the tritagonist, and one of Nintendo's most heroic female characters who can use her hair in many different ways. Please don't make her a Diddy clone.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I cast a last minute vote for Dixie...

Dixie is my number one girl! She's awesome with her multi-purpose ponytail. She propels it to float like a helicopter. She spins it to whip enemies. She uses it to lift heavy objects! Her hair is very versatile and no other character has prehensile hair like hers. I know she can be pretty interesting as a fighter and she can contribute to the expansion of Donkey Kong representation in Smash. It also would be nice to have a new stage like Lake Orangatanga or Lost Mangroves.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I think it's really hard to say who will end up being a ballot DLC fighter at this point. Still, I feel like Dixie's definitely in the running; it seems like she has substantial support worldwide judging by fan polls and PushDustIn's research about Japanese fans.

Plus, even if Smash 4 isn't her game, it's not like Dixie's going anywhere. She's an important part of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and was recently given a playable role in a DK platformer again. I don't think this is her last chance by any means.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I think it's really hard to say who will end up being a ballot DLC fighter at this point. Still, I feel like Dixie's definitely in the running; it seems like she has substantial support worldwide judging by fan polls and PushDustIn's research about Japanese fans.

Plus, even if Smash 4 isn't her game, it's not like Dixie's going anywhere. She's an important part of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and was recently given a playable role in a DK platformer again. I don't think this is her last chance by any means.
if Shantae makes the cut, Dixie could be in smash never. Both the characters share the prehensile and offensive hair.
Obviously an indie character over a Nintendo veterano would me a terrible shame, which without the ballot wouldn't ever happened. So I'm beginning to think that ballot was a mistake

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I feel like Dixie could be in the top 5 or 10, Not counting veterans and unrealistic 3rd parties (Banjo, Shovel Knight, Shantae), the only real candidates I see above her are K Rool, Inkling, Isaac, maybe Krystal, maybe Bandana Dee. I honestly think people are overestimating Shovel Knight and Shantae's support, the fans are just really loud and that's only in the west, they're pretty much non-existant in Japan and Nintendo isn't that big in Europe, it's really just America.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I keep believing that Dixie's hair will make her stand out... and she can do so many things with her hair.

Propelling hair spin like Link's up special
Running hair spin like ROB's side special
Helicopter whirl with same controls as Peach's floating jumps
Sideways hair spin like Pit's neutral air move
Picking up and carrying heavy objects with her hair
Back flipping and whipping enemies with her hair like Lucas's back air move (I am referring to Lucas's animation)

How can people write her off as a Diddy clone? Judging a book by its cover... sad.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I keep believing that Dixie's hair will make her stand out... and she can do so many things with her hair.

Propelling hair spin like Link's up special
Running hair spin like ROB's side special
Helicopter whirl with same controls as Peach's floating jumps
Sideways hair spin like Pit's neutral air move
Picking up and carrying heavy objects with her hair
Back flipping and whipping enemies with her hair like Lucas's back air move (I am referring to Lucas's animation)

How can people write her off as a Diddy clone? Judging a book by its cover... sad.
I don't get it either, in the DKC games Dixie's skillset is completely different from Diddy's, the only thing they share is a similar build and runspeed/jump height. Then people go on to say that K Rool would be more unique which is completely bull****, he could just as easily be a bowser clone

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't get it either, in the DKC games Dixie's skillset is completely different from Diddy's, the only thing they share is a similar build and runspeed/jump height. Then people go on to say that K Rool would be more unique which is completely bull****, he could just as easily be a bowser clone
K.Rool is way more unique than Dixie. Dixie is a semi-unique character. She was literally designed to be a female Diddy and was given a hair gimmick. She was most likely designed of Diddy's model. That's like saying Luigi is entirely unique, which just isn't true. Both are designed to be variants of a pre-existing character.

I honestly cannot believe a Dixie fan said K. Rool would be a Bowser clone. I assume if you're a fan of her you've played DKC2 and 3. It baffles me how someone could call him a clone after those games.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
K.Rool is way more unique than Dixie. Dixie is a semi-unique character. She was literally designed to be a female Diddy and was given a hair gimmick. She was most likely designed of Diddy's model. That's like saying Luigi is entirely unique, which just isn't true. Both are designed to be variants of a pre-existing character.

I honestly cannot believe a Dixie fan said K. Rool would be a Bowser clone. I assume if you're a fan of her you've played DKC2 and 3. It baffles me how someone could call him a clone after those games.
I feel like you're misinterpreting me, I'm saying that if Dixie would just be a diddy clone like people say, K Rool could just as easily be a bowser clone. Both have potential to be very unique and its stupid that people are disregarding Dixies potential too. I mean just compare K Rool and Bowser, similar build, punches, claw swipes, ground pound, his up b could B swapped out for the helicopter. Does that mean he should be a clone though? No, of course not. The exact same applies to Dixie. Just cause a character could be a clone doesnt mean they would or should be which it seems some people forget when it comes to some characters

Last edited:
I feel like you're misinterpreting me, I'm saying that if Dixie would just be a diddy clone like people say, K Rool could just as easily be a bowser clone. Both have potential to be very unique and its stupid that people are disregarding Dixies potential too. I mean just compare K Rool and Bowser, similar build, punches, claw swipes, ground pound, his up b could B swapped out for the helicopter. Does that mean he should be a clone though? No, of course not. The exact same applies to Dixie. Just cause a character could be a clone doesnt mean they would or should be which it seems some people forget when it comes to some characters
Devil's advocate
Dixie is far closer physically to Diddy than K rool is to bowser.
There body structure is essentially the same other than hair and tail.

Dixie (obviously) could extremely easily be completely unique but K rool would be even easier.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Devil's advocate
Dixie is far closer physically to Diddy than K rool is to bowser.
There body structure is essentially the same other than hair and tail.

Dixie (obviously) could extremely easily be completely unique but K rool would be even easier.
Id honestly disagree, i think itd be easier to make Dixie unique because of the hair, theres only so much you can do with punches and slashes thatd make him stand out

Id honestly disagree, i think itd be easier to make Dixie unique because of the hair, theres only so much you can do with punches and slashes thatd make him stand out
. . .pirate things
baron k roolenstein things

Im not even familiar with K rool (only game he is in i've played is DKC 1) but you are definitely selling him short.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, I fired a vote in for Dixie on another device before the poll ended; three for King K. Rool and one for Dixie (all different devices). If the King can't get in, I'd wish for another Donkey Kong character to represent this malnourished franchise in Sm4sh, and that character would be Dixie in my eyes.

I'm sorry, but this is a bit ridiculous. I'm going to assume this was either a malice post or that you haven't played through all of the Donkey Kong games. Between Donkey Kong Country I, II, III and Donkey Kong 64, I can think of 2 standard move-sets for King K. Rool, and close to two dozen options for Specials off the top of my head using elements from the games, and that's just me. When you compare all of the gadgets and identities that King K. Rool has taken in his golden years, he makes Bowser look pretty washed up to be honest, and that's not speaking out of bias.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
For what it's worth, I fired a vote in for Dixie on another device before the poll ended; three for King K. Rool and one for Dixie (all different devices). If the King can't get in, I'd wish for another Donkey Kong character to represent this malnourished franchise in Sm4sh, and that character would be Dixie in my eyes.

I'm sorry, but this is a bit ridiculous. I'm going to assume this was either a malice post or that you haven't played through all of the Donkey Kong games. Between Donkey Kong Country I, II, III and Donkey Kong 64, I can think of 2 standard move-sets for King K. Rool, and close to two dozen options for Specials off the top of my head using elements from the games, and that's just me. When you compare all of the gadgets and identities that King K. Rool has taken in his golden years, he makes Bowser look pretty washed up to be honest, and that's not speaking out of bias.
Would you share them then, every moveset I see for K Rool is the same thing with no real unique playstyle, generic attacks and others that sound like they were ripped from other characters. Dont get me wrong though, i want him in, hed be a fun character but the idea that he has some kind of edge in terms of uniqueness over Dixie is kinda overselling him

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Any character can be unique if you go out of your way to make their moveset unique. You could literally make a second Diddy and have his entire moveset be different from the current Diddy. Likewise with Toon Link, you could make a moveset based entirely around the grappling hook to make him unique.

A truly unique character is one that can be unique whilst remaining true to how they play in their games. Dixie is only semi-unqiue because she is based off Diddy and plays extremely similar to him in her games. She is a female variant of Diddy with her hair gimmick. That's what she was designed for, she most likely wouldn't exist if Diddy didn't.

Giving her hair moves and gumball popgun, whilst retaining some of Diddy's moves and making her lighter and floatier (probably slower too) would do more justice to games than making her moveset entirely hair-based just for the sake of making her unique.

Also if you think K. Rool is just about slashes and ground pounds with a helicopter I'm going to assume you haven't played DKC2. I can't believe a Dixie fan is saying this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Any character can be unique if you go out of your way to make their moveset unique. You could literally make a second Diddy and have his entire moveset be different from the current Diddy. Likewise with Toon Link, you could make a moveset based entirely around the grappling hook to make him unique.

A truly unique character is one that can be unique whilst remaining true to how they play in their games. Dixie is only semi-unqiue because she is based off Diddy and plays extremely similar to him in her games. She is a female variant of Diddy with her hair gimmick. That's what she was designed for, she most likely wouldn't exist if Diddy didn't.

Giving her hair moves and gumball popgun, whilst retaining some of Diddy's moves and making her lighter and floatier (probably slower too) would do more justice to games than making her moveset entirely hair-based just for the sake of making her unique.

Also if you think K. Rool is just about slashes and ground pounds with a helicopter I'm going to assume you haven't played DKC2. I can't believe a Dixie fan is saying this kind of stuff.
Am I missing something here? I just watched his boss fights to refresh my memory and Im not seeing a lot here, a cannon that looks very similar to Bowser Jrs, a rocket blunderbuss thing that I guess could be a fairly unique recovery. You wouldnt just make Dixie hair based to make her unique, its her defining trait as a character, she uses it for pretty much everything in the games, not to mention her more aerial based gameplay which should be put in, in order to properly represent her

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Would you share them then, every moveset I see for K Rool is the same thing with no real unique playstyle, generic attacks and others that sound like they were ripped from other characters. Dont get me wrong though, i want him in, hed be a fun character but the idea that he has some kind of edge in terms of uniqueness over Dixie is kinda overselling him
King K. Rool:

Specials:

Standard Special: Blunderbuss - King K. Rool fires his blunderbuss, having a high chance of a cannonball firing, a moderate chance of a barrel firing, and a small chance that coloured gas cloud fires, which zig-zags in a vertical motion and having varying effects.
Attribute 1 - The Blunderbuss can be charged, and King K. Rool can influence its direction up to 90 degrees upward or downward. By firing downward, the kick-back from the gun would launch him upward depending on how long it was held, and have a wind-box effect for enemies that were close to him. In neutral, the kick-back shoves King K. Rool back slightly. Pointing upward, he covers enemies coming from above, but the kick-back roots him in place for a brief moment.
Attribute 2 - Cannonballs would deal moderate damage, as would barrels, but the gas would have varying effects.
Attribute 3 - Cannonballs that land on the ground or smack into a wall would have spikes that would protrude from them and sit there for a little, sort of like the Unira.

Side Special: Krown - King K. Rool throws his krown diagonally or sideways.
Attribute 1 - If the Krown hits an item, it drags it back to King K. Rool.
Attribute 2 - If it hits an enemy, they receive damage depending on what part of the krown hit them.
Attribute 3 - The Krown's tip possesses a spiking mechanic.
Attribute 4 - Each rotation of the krown takes 0.75 of a second.

Up Special: Helikopter Pack - King K. Rool sets off on on his trusty helikopter to make an escape.
Attribute 1 - If the player spams the B button while in this mode, King K. Rool would generate electricity around him that would damage enemies.
Attribute 2 - Moves similarly to Olimar's Winged Pikmin when he has no Pikmin while they're carrying him.

Down Special: Klap Trap
King K. Rool unleashes a Klap Trap that runs rampant, lunging at enemies near it. If it grabs one, it will latch on and continue to sever the enemy, dealing damage over time.
Attribute 1 - King K. Rool could haul out either Green Klap Traps, Blue Klap Traps, Red Klap Traps or Purple Klap Traps, in a certain order with different attributes, speeds and damage.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: King K. Rool thrusts upward head-first, the tip of the krown would be the sweet spot.

Down Smash: King K. Rool swiftly jumps up and slams down on the ground.
Attribute 1 - If there were enemies nearby, they are sent flying horizontally depending on how long it was charged.
Attribute 2 - The slam sends green shock waves out that stuns enemies for a period and travels farther depending on how long it was charged.

Forward Smash: King K. Rool thrusts forward, hitting anything right in front of him with his golden-plated belly (could have reflect attributes).

Tilts:

U-Tilt: King K. Rool takes off his krown and swipes the air in an arc formation.

F-Tilt - King K. Rool thrusts the air in front of him with his forearm (could have reflector capabilities due to his golden bracelets).

D-Tilt - King K. Rool slashes the ground below him.

Dash Attack: King K. Rool briefly hops onto his jet pack and rams into anything in front of him.
Attribute 1 - Could have super armour.

Jab: King K. Rool could punch 3 times with his DK 64 Boxing Gloves, or do a series of swipes, or jab a few times and then thrust his belly forward.

Final Smash could be quite a few things, but I'm not one to dwell on F-Smashes, personally.

As for the air, things could really be varied here, his D-Air could have him come down and bounce on enemies similar to Greninja, or it could be something else entirely. If there's anywhere in the move-set where King K. Rool would have a little overlap with other characters, it would be in the jab / air department I'd say, and even then, I'm sure something could be figured out. After all, this is something I threw together as an example. With this build, King K. Rool would function as a bit of a zoner, but wouldn't be overly afraid of people coming close, either; a combination that would be unique to a heavier character.

Of course, there are a few more alternatives for each of his Specials that I know of, but I'm just giving a little basic layout here. Of course, some of the attributes I used are not from the games, either, but rather me using my imagination a little given his features.

That being said, I'd rather not bastardise and derail the Dixie Kong thread much more with this, so best of luck to you all. Hopefully, we will hear news sooner than later.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I wanna stop by and say that yes, Dixie is based on Diddy from a design perspective. We're all aware of how vastly different she can be based on her attributes and roles in the games but I won't deny that Diddy is her origin, and that's not a bad thing in her case. This is mainly a concern because of Smash having similar-looking characters play identically, but that's not always the case. During speculation, how many people wrote Bowser Jr. off as a clone because he's literally Young Bowser 2.0? Sakurai surprised everyone by giving us a Super Mario World-styled Bowser that turned out like nobody expected, and if the team could pull that off I'm confident in Dixie's potential.

Clones are usually created out of circumstances regarding development of the full game. If they're pressed for time or trying to give us a Dark Dr. Lucina scenario, then yes we are likely to get clones. But with the Ballot things are different. They're not trying to release the full game with dozens of characters they've worked on for years, they're handing us 2 fighters that we specifically asked for, over an amount of time that they feel is adequate and they'll be getting money for. Dedicating this time to make a simple or semi-clone will be odd when they'll have as much time as they need to make and polish these characters. Unless Sakurai, with his wily mind somehow sees little potential with what's basically a 3-armed fighter that can fly, I'm optimistic about Dixie being a unique fighter. However, what I don't know is who's coming out as the 2 ballot winners; I hope at least one of them is from the DKC games. People can come up with movesets for days if they try hard enough, but now the main concern is who made it in. We'll find out soon.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I wanna stop by and say that yes, Dixie is based on Diddy from a design perspective. We're all aware of how vastly different she can be based on her attributes and roles in the games but I won't deny that Diddy is her origin, and that's not a bad thing in her case. This is mainly a concern because of Smash having similar-looking characters play identically, but that's not always the case. During speculation, how many people wrote Bowser Jr. off as a clone because he's literally Young Bowser 2.0? Sakurai surprised everyone by giving us a Super Mario World-styled Bowser that turned out like nobody expected, and if the team could pull that off I'm confident in Dixie's potential.

Clones are usually created out of circumstances regarding development of the full game. If they're pressed for time or trying to give us a Dark Dr. Lucina scenario, then yes we are likely to get clones. But with the Ballot things are different. They're not trying to release the full game with dozens of characters they've worked on for years, they're handing us 2 fighters that we specifically asked for, over an amount of time that they feel is adequate and they'll be getting money for. Dedicating this time to make a simple or semi-clone will be odd when they'll have as much time as they need to make and polish these characters. Unless Sakurai, with his wily mind somehow sees little potential with what's basically a 3-armed fighter that can fly, I'm optimistic about Dixie being a unique fighter. However, what I don't know is who's coming out as the 2 ballot winners; I hope at least one of them is from the DKC games. People can come up with movesets for days if they try hard enough, but now the main concern is who made it in. We'll find out soon.
I never thought Jr. would be a clone. That is such a dumb idea I can't believe people actually thought that. They don't function anything a like at all in the main games. Bowser has always been about firebreath and his size/power. Jr. is about tools, whether it be the brush or mechs.

People don't just think Dixie would be a clone just because she looks like a female Diddy. It's because she plays extremely similar to him in their games. They have the exact same commands except for the twirl, hers just have slightly different properties to his.

She's a Luigi, a variant of a pre-existing character with some unique properties. But to say she's just as, or even more unique than K.Rool, who is a completely unique character with at least like a dozen potential commands from the boss fights alone is ridiculous and reaks of bias.

Making her a full clone would be stupid. She should have some things similar to Diddy and some unique qualities too, which would be mostly hair-based. She should also be lighter and floatier. Probably slower too but have better kill power or something to compensate. Making her play nothing like Diddy at all would not be true to her games.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
In DKC, Diddy plays even more similarly to Donkey Kong than Dixie plays to him, yet is completely unique in Smash. I'm not saying K. Rool has less unique potential than Dixie (I agree that he has more), but Dixie has no reason to play similarly to Diddy aside from body size.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
In DKC, Diddy plays even more similarly to Donkey Kong than Dixie plays to him, yet is completely unique in Smash. I'm not saying K. Rool has less unique potential than Dixie (I agree that he has more), but Dixie has no reason to play similarly to Diddy aside from body size.
Firstly, Diddy and DK don't look alike, because Diddy wasn't meant to be the child version of DK. In fact, he was originally meant to be DK jr. But Nintendo told Rare to make him a new character because the model looked so different.

Secondly, Diddy plays completely different to DK because by the time he was made for Brawl, he'd been fleshed out in DK64. He'd been made more unique with things like the popguns and the jetpac. The power vs speed thing was also made more apparent. The only similarities DK and Diddy have is that they are Kongs/primates. It's like Bowser and Jr.. Even though they look similar they act nothing alike in combat.

Dixie is very similar to Diddy in appearance. She hasn't been in 3D games and been fleshed out to give her character more depth. She's just a female Diddy who is slower and a worse jumper, who can also twirl in the air. The only other aspects of her character are that she plays guitar and she likes gum. Every other trait she has is universal to all Kongs.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I never thought Jr. would be a clone. That is such a dumb idea I can't believe people actually thought that. They don't function anything a like at all in the main games. Bowser has always been about firebreath and his size/power. Jr. is about tools, whether it be the brush or mechs.

People don't just think Dixie would be a clone just because she looks like a female Diddy. It's because she plays extremely similar to him in their games. They have the exact same commands except for the twirl, hers just have slightly different properties to his.

She's a Luigi, a variant of a pre-existing character with some unique properties. But to say she's just as, or even more unique than K.Rool, who is a completely unique character with at least like a dozen potential commands from the boss fights alone is ridiculous and reaks of bias.

Making her a full clone would be stupid. She should have some things similar to Diddy and some unique qualities too, which would be mostly hair-based. She should also be lighter and floatier. Probably slower too but have better kill power or something to compensate. Making her play nothing like Diddy at all would not be true to her games.
Because its a platformer, all the moves have to have the same commands for all the characters yet Dixies attacks are still different with her roll and ground pound using her hair and Im not seeing these "dozens of potential commands but whatever" but whatever

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Because its a platformer, all the moves have to have the same commands for all the characters yet Dixies attacks are still different with her roll and ground pound using her hair and Im not seeing these "dozens of potential commands but whatever" but whatever
Are you trying to argue she's more unique than Luigi?

The fact she hasn't had 3d games to distinguish her beyond being female Diddy with the haircopter is why she's only semi-unique. It sucks but that's the reality.

And if you're going to say that the fact she uses her hair to do the commands that Diddy does with his limbs makes her unique, then the argument that Diddy and DK are similar goes out the door. Diddy and DK perform those commands in different ways too. DK and Diddy are technically more distinct gameplay-wise than Diddy and Dixie because DK has both the handslap and the fact he kills certain enemies easier than Diddy. Dixie just has the twirl. DK and Dixie are both slower with worse jumps and hold items above them as opposed to in-front like Diddy. So really there's more difference in DKC1 than 2.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
And people wonder why I don't like most K. Rool supporters. There's a thread for K. Rool and they are posting here instead. Why not post your **** about Dixie not being unique (which is a lie, btw and Dixie not having a 3D game has no effect on her uniqueness) in K. Rool's thread, which is already full of snark and kneejerk reactions towards any character who isn't K. Rool himself, Isaac and Ridley, I guess?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
And people wonder why I don't like most K. Rool supporters. There's a thread for K. Rool and they are posting here instead. Why not post your **** about Dixie not being unique (which is a lie, btw and Dixie not having a 3D game has no effect on her uniqueness) in K. Rool's thread, which is already full of snark and kneejerk reactions towards any character who isn't K. Rool himself, Isaac and Ridley, I guess?
Uh I want Dixie more than K Rool (I'd be happy with any DK rep though)

This all started because a DIXIE fan in this thread said she was as unique, if not more unique than K. Rool, and that he could be perceived as a Bowser clone

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I dream of a day when monkeys and krocodiles can live in peace.

C'mon, this backbiting and name-calling is insane. What's the point in debating which character would be more "unique" when they both have great potential and their own merits for being considered?

K. Rool has potential because every boss fight with him is totally different and he never tries to use the same tricks or weapons twice. He has a krown, claws, teeth, his gold-plated gut, a blunderbuss that fires kannonballs and toxic gas, he can turn invisible and change his size, he has a pet Klaptrap that eats his enemies, he's a king, a pirate, a mad scientist and a boxer.

Dixie has potential because she developed from "female Diddy with floaty hair" to a very distinctive and creative character over the course of many games, most recently being revived from dormancy because she's very popular with fans and presents great gameplay options. She has prehensile hair, a bubblegum gun, a guitar, a rocket barrel, she can float and fly, you can even justify her borrowing moves from Tiny and having her shrink in size, fire feathers, climb up trees and even call in her Animal Buddies to help out.

Yes, K. Rool can be a Bowser or Dedede clone. Yes, Dixie can be a Diddy clone. But what's the chance of that happening?

They will probably share physical attributes of other characters. That is inevitable if K. Rool is going to be a heavy projectile character and Dixie is going to be a speedy, floaty character. That doesn't mean they're destined to be clones or there's nothing to vindicate them being their own creations. I'd say that Sakurai would have to go out of his way to make the characters clones, because beyond both characters getting it in the vein of Melee Ganondorf, I don't think Sakurai would consider two popular ballot characters without discerning what makes them so interesting and making them the best characters they can be.

I don't know why people feel the need to sell the other fanbase's character short, especially when we're both DKC fans who want to see the series get the love we believe it deserves in Smash. Both fanbases have proved themselves guilty of this in the past. Even so, it's just a vocal minority that makes it seem that way - the vast majority of both fanbases, in my experience, have proven to be very nice and considerate people.

I consider myself more of a K. Rool fan than a Dixie fan, but I'd be happy if either of them got in; I'd be even happier if both made it in. We don't need to debase ourselves in this manner, especially when we've both done our best up to this point to be considerate towards each-other and support our favourite characters without malice or vitriol.

Think about it, guys. This isn't what our fanbases want to be, is it?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
^ What Dre89 Dre89 said.

I'd be perfectly fine with either, because I am an avid Donkey Kong fan, but I saw a post stating that King K. Rool could easily become a Bowser clone and simply had to react to it (that was the doing of a Dixie fan). I could have easily made the same argument for Dixie if I saw something similar in our own thread. You'd actually be surprised at how many King K. Rool fans would want any Donkey Kong representation at all, given how stupidly under-represented Donkey Kong is in Sm4sh.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That's the thing, you never thought he'd be a clone, but look at his speculation thread and see how often he got dismissed as a Squirtle/Bowser clone who'd either play like a lightweight version of his dad, or some Baby Bowser hybrid. And correction, Bowser's mostly about brute force and fire, he's fallen back on magic and machinery before, with Super Mario World being an example. Bowser Jr.'s been known to take on Mario without gadgets, and when he does he just jumps around to overpower with brute force.

Like Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion and TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern said, it's a platformer they come from. They have deadlines to work under; developers come up with the baseline mechanics, as in the root character, and if they add others to play as they'll have them branch out from the original to give variety, save time and avoid laziness. Mario platformers always do this, even the recent Rayman games do it and if you look at most co-op games it'll be hard to find characters who play completely differently. Even in the early games, the only difference between Sonic and Tails is that one can fly.

Well, luckily I don't have any problems with K. Rool and want him in too. He's overflowing with potential and honestly, this part of your reply has nothing to do with me and is better off not being sent my way.

We somewhat agree on one thing, however the last sentence is a different story. It's been said time and time again that Dixie's potential lies mostly in her hair. That alone is enough to cook up some wild ideas that make her stand out from the rest. Guitars, Animal Buddies, DKC items and Bubblegum attacks are all icing on the cake and would still make her "true to her games" without being like Diddy.

Last edited:

Kiseki~

Smash Rookie
Lately, I casted LOTS of votes for Dixie...Let's keep our fingers crossed...
Ah, you can add me to the supporters list of course.
My bad if my english isn't correct, but I'm italian, ahah!

Spatman

Smash Ace
Lately, I casted LOTS of votes for Dixie...Let's keep our fingers crossed...
Ah, you can add me to the supporters list of course.
My bad if my english isn't correct, but I'm italian, ahah!
Another italian dixie fan who does't speak english very well! Me too! :D
How much is "LOTS" in this case?

Kiseki~

Smash Rookie
Another italian dixie fan who does't speak english very well! Me too! :D
How much is "LOTS" in this case?
Lots! Ahah! A lot of votes! Very very!....Okay, I'm not sure about this, in italian we say "un sacco!" or "un bel po'!" , I also forced my friends to vote her. I'm satisfied.
Now the rest is up to you Dixie: Win! For us!

Spatman

Smash Ace
Lots! Ahah! A lot of votes! Very very!....Okay, I'm not sure about this, in italian we say "un sacco!" or "un bel po'!" , I also forced my friends to vote her. I'm satisfied.
Now the rest is up to you Dixie: Win! For us!
Lol, no no, I was asking "in questo caso cosa intendi con un sacco?" More or less.
10 votes? : )
100 votes? : D
....1000 votes..? : O

Last edited:

Kiseki~

Smash Rookie
Lol, no no, I was asking "in questo caso cosa intendi con un sacco?" More or less.
10 votes? : )
100 votes? : D
....1000 votes..? : O
AAH! Sorry ahah, my bad, ...Non li ho contati...Ma sui 300 dovremmo esserci....
Translate: I don't know how many votes I casted...But I think around 300 votes more or less.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
AAH! Sorry ahah, my bad, ...Non li ho contati...Ma sui 300 dovremmo esserci....
Translate: I don't know how many votes I casted...But I think around 300 votes more or less.
That's amazing actually! Welcome to the thread and thank you for getting a lot of votes for her!

Top Bottom