• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Remember during Brawl people thought Diddy was going to be a DK clone before he was announced. Good times.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Remember during Brawl people thought Diddy was going to be a DK clone before he was announced. Good times.
Lol. No one's saying Dixie would be a Diddy clone. The only argument is how original Dixie is at face value in comparison to K. Rool. No one's saying Dixie would be a clone here (though outside the thread the general consensus is that Dixie would be a semiclone, which is admittedly possible). I'd say both would have almost entirely original movesets, with K. Rool just being a tad bit more original.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Lol. No one's saying Dixie would be a Diddy clone. The only argument is how original Dixie is at face value in comparison to K. Rool. No one's saying Dixie would be a clone here (though outside the thread the general consensus is that Dixie would be a semiclone, which is admittedly possible). I'd say both would have almost entirely original movesets, with K. Rool just being a tad bit more original.
TBH the only move for Diddy that would even work for Dixie would be the banana. And that'd be only if they wanted to be lazy when they made her.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I know. I'm just reminding myself and others that people actually thought this in conjunction with the ''Dixie isn't unique'' argument. Hilarious, right?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
TBH the only move for Diddy that would even work for Dixie would be the banana. And that'd be only if they wanted to be lazy when they made her.
The monkey flip would work too. The only moves that Diddy has that Dixie couldn't do are the popgun, the barrels and the jab (because he uses his tail, but Dixie could just use her hair for that). Dixie could just be given hair specials, maybe one or two orther hair attacks. She could be slower, lighter and floatier than Diddy but even if she had have the rest of Diddy's moves Sakurai would have still done the character justice as a bare minimum.

If Dixie were to be in the game, there's no way she'd have an entirely unique moveset unless 90% of her moveset was hair attacks. That was never a possibility for the original roster, but with DLC who knows. I'm honestly not getting my hopes up though, because Sakurai doesn't seem to like the idea of character DLC.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The monkey flip would work too. The only moves that Diddy has that Dixie couldn't do are the popgun, the barrels and the jab (because he uses his tail, but Dixie could just use her hair for that). Dixie could just be given hair specials, maybe one or two orther hair attacks. She could be slower, lighter and floatier than Diddy but even if she had have the rest of Diddy's moves Sakurai would have still done the character justice as a bare minimum.

If Dixie were to be in the game, there's no way she'd have an entirely unique moveset unless 90% of her moveset was hair attacks. That was never a possibility for the original roster, but with DLC who knows. I'm honestly not getting my hopes up though, because Sakurai doesn't seem to like the idea of character DLC.
Dixie can't do the Peanut Popgun, but she could do the Bubblegum Popgun, which would work very similarly anyway.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
She could also do Diddy's up special in a similar fashion, by twirling her hair to 'charge', and then flying off in the direction pressed. Mind you, I think she could be better than a Diddy clone, but I'm just throwing out a hypothetical if she was.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
She could also do Diddy's up special in a similar fashion, by twirling her hair to 'charge', and then flying off in the direction pressed. Mind you, I think she could be better than a Diddy clone, but I'm just throwing out a hypothetical if she was.
Literally any character can be unique. Some characters like Dixie, however, could remain very similar to another character whilst still doing them justice. Like I said, unless her moveset was 90% hair, it wouldn't make sense for her to have an entirely unique moveset. A moveset of unique, non canon, non hair moves doesn't make sense when you could just give her the moves that her male version has.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still support this fully, 100%. I still cannot really comphrehend how there was not a DKC newcomer in this Smash, but we got so much stuff I felt nobody really asked for. Two Fire Emblem newcomers, two Mario newcomers, two Kid Icarus newcomers yet no love for DKC? While everyone thought a newcomer in the form of K.Rool or Dixie was all but confirmed. It's still a bitter dissapointment, but I really think Dixie is one of those DLC characters that really has to happen after Mewtwo (the others being Ice Climbers, Wolf, Lucas and Impa).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
This is probably translated from Japanese. We don't know what "production" means. A model was already shown in the "50 fact" video...

Just playing the devil's advocate here.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I find it odd that in the trophy exhibition mode on the Wii U, Dixie's trophy isn't in the 'DK and Friends' exhibit. Rather, it's in the Tropical Freeze exhibit.

Also can someone explain why my Kritter and K. Rool trophies don't show up in any exhibit?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Now can we please stop citing BS fake leaks and instead speculate on whether she'll be considered for DLC based on what little we do know? Pretty please?
Nope. Not sure what is your problem with the NeoGAF "leak" (it is not different than any other leak people here discussed for months or even years), but if you don't want to see people talking about it, you could always not visit this thread instead.

I don't believe in what developers say in interviews, by the way. For what is worth, Mewtwo could be already complete at this point, just waiting the ideal time frame to be released. So no, what you posted doesn't prove there isn't a moving model of Dixie Kong (and no, I am not saying there is one)

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm not saying she wouldn't be different. I'm saying I believe K. Rool would end up more different.

Yes, a sword wielder can obviously be different than a previous sword wielder... but a magic user and sword wielder brings even more difference.
I disagree with that. K Rool is harder to distinguish from another heavyweight character. What makes him standout? He could have some unique attacks, sure, but there isn't an over arching thing that makes him distinct from the rest of the cast. Dixie's hard not only gives her unique attacking and fighting style, but abilities like her ponytail twirl give something distinct. She can focus on great recovery as that was kind of her thing from DKC2 and 3. She was also playable in a game so there is more of a background for movement and whatnot.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I disagree with that. K Rool is harder to distinguish from another heavyweight character. What makes him standout? He could have some unique attacks, sure, but there isn't an over arching thing that makes him distinct from the rest of the cast. Dixie's hard not only gives her unique attacking and fighting style, but abilities like her ponytail twirl give something distinct. She can focus on great recovery as that was kind of her thing from DKC2 and 3. She was also playable in a game so there is more of a background for movement and whatnot.
I dunno, I think the fact that he's a gigantic schizophrenic crocodile warlord with an arsenal of heavy-duty artillery, hi-tech gadgets, psychotic minions and battle-ready fortresses who cosplays on a regular basis and can summon the aid of the fourth wall itself to murder you makes him stand out.

Both are good, though, I'm rooting for both~

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I just found out yesterday that in DKC3 Dixie can toss Kiddy into a wall and roll on him like a steel barrel. I've been living a lie this entire time.

Dixie isn't as unique because there's already a character in the game that she's very similar to. Saying that Dixie is as unique as K. Rool is like saying that Luigi is as unique as Bowser. It just simply isn't true. One is deliberately given design features that completely oppose those of the main protagonist, and the other is deliberately given features that mimmick those of said protagonist to make them feel similar and relate-able. You cannot say that a character who was most likely modelled off a character who already exists in Smash is more unique than a character who was designed from scratch or modelled off a design that isn't a playable character.

Also, humanoid bosses in platformers usually have more moveset potential than the protagonists. The bosses normally have more attacks, whereas the protagonists are more about movement.

I'm as big a fan of Dixie as anyone here, she's been my most wanted newcomer from day 1 but people need to stop clinging to the idea that she's a completely unique character. It honestly just sounds like people here don't want to admit she's not completely unique because they know that uniqueness is a trait that Sakurai values. Let's just be real and accept that her best chance of getting in was because she would've been easier to make than other characters due to being less unique, and/or riding the wave of Tropical Freeze hype (latter is a small DLC hope).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, we've got so few heavyweight characters as is, and K. Rool's heavy use of gadgets and tricky fighting in his boss battles doesn't help him to stand out from the other heavyweights we have so few of in the first place?

I dunno, I think the fact that he's a gigantic schizophrenic crocodile warlord with an arsenal of heavy-duty artillery, hi-tech gadgets, psychotic minions and battle-ready fortresses who cosplays on a regular basis and can summon the aid of the fourth wall itself to murder you makes him stand out.

Both are good, though, I'm rooting for both~
This.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Nope. Not sure what is your problem with the NeoGAF "leak" (it is not different than any other leak people here discussed for months or even years), but if you don't want to see people talking about it, you could always not visit this thread instead.

I don't believe in what developers say in interviews, by the way. For what is worth, Mewtwo could be already complete at this point, just waiting the ideal time frame to be released. So no, what you posted doesn't prove there isn't a moving model of Dixie Kong (and no, I am not saying there is one)
Yeah this right here.

Dixie is one of the few that I am still whole heartedly expecting. Leak or no leak.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
You know what's weird? Dixie's listed in the "Tropical Freeze" category of trophies, even though she debuted MUCH earlier than that. Sure, Tropical Freeze is the first "Donkey Kong Returns" game to feature Dixie, but it's the also the first to feature Funky Kong even though he's in the DK & Allies category.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You know what's weird? Dixie's listed in the "Tropical Freeze" category of trophies, even though she debuted MUCH earlier than that. Sure, Tropical Freeze is the first "Donkey Kong Returns" game to feature Dixie, but it's the also the first to feature Funky Kong even though he's in the DK & Allies category.
Yeah I was going to mention that. Also it appears some trophies like K. Rool and the kritter don't have an exhibition display.

cothero

Smash Lord
That's interesting. Looks like Nintendo finally accepted Dixie as his own child, and this "Tropical Freeze category" thing seems like a "renovation" of the character. If there'll be one more DLC character after Mewtwo, i'll put my bets on Dixie.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That's interesting. Looks like Nintendo finally accepted Dixie as his own child, and this "Tropical Freeze category" thing seems like a "renovation" of the character. If there'll be one more DLC character after Mewtwo, i'll put my bets on Dixie.
I'd say as far as DLC newcomers go, Dixie is the most likely. Though I don't think the list of potential DLC newcomers is all that long.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I find it a little arbitrary to say that it'll be Mewtwo and then Dixie and then that's that.

It seems like they'd be willing and able to make more than just those two. Mewtwo is arguably a special case, sure, but adding just the one newcomer after that seems a bit pointless.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Honestly, I find it a little arbitrary to say that it'll be Mewtwo and then Dixie and then that's that.

It seems like they'd be willing and able to make more than just those two. Mewtwo is arguably a special case, sure, but adding just the one newcomer after that seems a bit pointless.
I am convinced Isaac is gonna be DLC, Hell he's had a game since brawl, was an assist in brawl and he doesn't even have a trophy

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'd say as far as DLC newcomers go, Dixie is the most likely. Though I don't think the list of potential DLC newcomers is all that long.
I personally think she was in a similar situation to Bowser Jr., she had all the requirements of getting in, yet time constraints didn't allow it to happen. She's been planned for Brawl in the last game, and now she missed the cut yet again, it's why I see Dixie as fairly likely.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I personally think she was in a similar situation to Bowser Jr., she had all the requirements of getting in, yet time constraints didn't allow it to happen. She's been planned for Brawl in the last game, and now she missed the cut yet again, it's why I see Dixie as fairly likely.
Exactly. It's one of the main reasons why I feel she's also the next in line to rep DK. She's now more relevant than she was pre-Brawl, and she nearly made it in then.

Even speaking from a non-bias standpoint, she'd have been the first newcomer I'd have decided on if I'd have been Sakurai:
+Female
+Relevant
+Popular
+Unique
+A-lister

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dixie being listed under the Tropical Freeze category, but not Cranky, makes me more confident in my theory that the developers only cared to look at Tropical Freeze's trailers. This is supported by the two TF songs in game also being the trailer ones. (Cranky got his own trailer months and months later, which was probably too late). Talk about apathy.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm surprised this thread doesn't get more attention, especially considering she would be a high contender for Smash DLC.

Also, I might as well state my support for her now, since I don't see it in the supporters list.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm surprised this thread doesn't get more attention, especially considering she would be a high contender for Smash DLC.

Also, I might as well state my support for her now, since I don't see it in the supporters list.
Because people are giving attention to the other thread since that character would be more unique at face value... which is unfortunate. Why can't we have both? I mean, we got both Rosalina and Bowser Jr. and both of them used to be viewed as Peach and Bowser clones yet they ended up very unique despite not having uniqueness at face value.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Because people are giving attention to the other thread since that character would be more unique at face value... which is unfortunate. Why can't we have both? I mean, we got both Rosalina and Bowser Jr. and both of them used to be viewed as Peach and Bowser clones yet they ended up very unique despite not having uniqueness at face value.
I guess that's the opposite of how I am, because I always thought Rosalina and Jr. could be really unique. Only thing I really see simular about Dixie and Diddy are the body shape, otherwise, I'd think she could be extremely unique.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess that's the opposite of how I am, because I always thought Rosalina and Jr. could be really unique. Only thing I really see simular about Dixie and Diddy are the body shape, otherwise, I'd think she could be extremely unique.
Rosalina is physically similar to Peach... she is just a taller version of Peach in a blue dress. Bowser Jr. is physically similar to Bowser... he is just a miniature version of Bowser with a bib.

Come SSB4... and Rosalina teams up with Luma.... and Bowser Jr. pilots the Koopa Clown Car... they are what made Rosalina and Bowser Jr. unique in Smash. Sometimes you just need something to differentiate yourself from other physically similar characters. Well, that's why Dixie supporters are always saying that her hair is what will make her unique in Smash. Yes, she is physically similar to Diddy... but her hair is what will differentiate her from Diddy... just like how the blunderbuss is the one thing that will make K. Rool unique and different from other heavyweight fighters.

I don't know why people think that characters have to be a walking Swiss Army knife to get in. Duck Hunt Dog is just a generic dog but what made him stand out is the duck and the NES Zapper player. Wii Fit Trainer is just a generic yoga instructor but what made her stand out is the yoga exercises and buffing herself via deep breathing. Shulk is just a generic swordfighter but what made him stand out is the ability to buff/nerf himself. Little Mac is just a generic boxer but what made him stand out is his boxing skills and the power meter. It is okay to be an one-trick pony if you are the only one who can pull it off. (This is why I am not expecting Balloon Fighter ever; Villager took the one thing that made Balloon Fighter unique.)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Occam's Razor. . .people aren't talking in here because they have nothing new to say.
Is there always something new to say over at the K. Rool thread despite no news announcement about a new DKC game or anything relating to the Kremlings? :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Is there always something new to say over at the K. Rool thread despite no news announcement about a new DKC game or anything relating to the Kremlings? :p
Based on it getting daily responses, logically yes, people do have new things to say there.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Based on it getting daily responses, logically yes, people do have new things to say there.
I think BluePikmin summed it up accurately. :awesome:

It has been gaining attention, I'm guessing people don't like to talk about her as much as K. Rool.
Changing topics...

I noticed that most of the trophy boxes tend to have ~6 trophies... so I thought... wouldn't it be cool if there was a trophy box for DLC characters and their Final Smashes?

Mewtwo & Final Smash, Dixie Kong & Final Smash, Impa & Final Smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom