• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

D

Deleted member

Damn. Neither Dixie Kong and King K. Rool got in. DKC is a pretty deserving and popular series; I'm surprised that it got overlooked again. I hope that we will get some DLC so that we can have a 3rd DK character.
However, there's always next game! With Tropical Freeze bringing her back, things are looking good for her!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Condolences to you guys, I honestly thought from a logical thought that she was going to be in, but I'm guessing even with the TF release, she didn't make it in time, as the newcomer clones are all small stat changed characters. She's lucky to not be part of that, I want her unique hair moveset.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It's hard to take, it really is... And I'm still hoping for either DLC or Wii U transfer, but to see how little Sakurai cared about the DK series this time around really hurts as a DK fan. Especially after the DKC series was revived on Wii and got a sequel on Wii U, it's been doing better lately than it has in a long time, and Sakurai didn't acknowledge that at all it seems...

It sucks. Straight up sucks. Oh well, I got my dog to keep me company.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Damn, I legitimately thought she would make it in. I hate it that DK is gets nothing while Kid Icarus is looking like one of Nintendo's best franchises when really it's just Sakurai's favourite. Sakurai your bias is showing.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
No newcomer, no new stage, and no Assist Trophies... Seriously, Sakurai? Fifth best selling Nintendo franchise, has plenty of unique and iconic characters, relevant ones even... And nothing? I don't want to believe it...

Man, the Wii U version better have something good for the DK franchise, something.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
So DK gets no newcomers at all? Talk about disrespect.
No newcomer, no new stage, and no Assist Trophies... Seriously, Sakurai? Fifth best selling Nintendo franchise, has plenty of unique and iconic characters, relevant ones even... And nothing? I don't want to believe it...

Man, the Wii U version better have something good for the DK franchise, something.
This is what's bothering me as well. Kid Icarus, which had a successful revival gets tons of items, two newcomers, new stages for both versions, and more Smash Run enemies than everyone.

Then DK, which also had a successful revival, gets one thirteen year old stage, three Smash run enemies, no newcomers and no new items.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Have we seen a trophy for Dixie yet? 'Tis important to know!

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Well it's not like we DK fans are the only ones suffering. We can cry together with Starfox and Metroid.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I'm sure there will be pictures of relevant trophies circulating if any are found. The Wolf one got around quite likely.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, it's not just Kid Icarus which is the the cause of this travesty. I know Mario has priority over all other franchises but 6 new stages, 2 unique newcomers, lots of assist trophies/items/etc is just too much. All that effort could have gone into other franchises that actually need more representation.

Bandai Namco probably have been influencing development as well. Pac-Man gets 2 stages and the other 3rd party chars only get one new stage.

Miis get 3 friggin' types and 2 stages being Tomodachi and Find Mii.

On the flip side, Kirby doesn't get much either if you don't count the gameboy stage.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Damn...I really thought we had more characters coming. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that DK got the shaft again, but it made so much sense to me that we would at least get K. Rool or Dixie. This sucks.

I'll get over it soon, but it's just shocking to me that Sakurai would overlook the potential of both K. Rool and Dixie.

EDIT: Now I know what the original Ridley supporters have been dealing with since Melee.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
My disappointment is immense. There were only 4 things I wanted in Smash (please don't flag me for this but I'm going to post these in all 4 relevant threads to save time and express the same idea).

1. Wolf (by far my favorite smasher. By far my favorite part of Brawl)
2. Mewtwo (Brawl felt empty without him, would've rounded out the Pokemon roster perfectly)
3. Dixie (DKC2 was one of my favorite games as a very young kid. DK series needed love. She would've been my main without Wolf).
4. An uncloned Ganondorf.

I would've taken any of them and been plenty happy. Not even all. Just one would have been alright. Especially if it was Wolf. I know Sakurai doesn't cater to anyone, but my wishlist wasn't farfetched, or outrageous, or unreasonable, or unpopular.

I got none of them. All I got...was Dark Pit and Kid Icarus a**-kissing. I love Sakurai, but man did he blow off his fanbase. How do you expect to sell a game to consumers that you ignore? Especially when said game is the saving grace of your parent's company's flagship system? Yeah, not everyone is going to agree, but it wasn't even "not seeing eye to eye" about everything. It was ignoring most of the West's requests outright. And cutting some very beloved veterans. We had A LOT of requests...but those we really wanted stood out far and above the rest. And they weren't even acknowledged.

Here's hoping for DLC, otherwise, my hype train has kinda derailed.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
My disappointment is immense. There were only 4 things I wanted in Smash (please don't flag me for this but I'm going to post these in all 4 relevant threads to save time and express the same idea).

1. Wolf (by far my favorite smasher. By far my favorite part of Brawl)
2. Mewtwo (Brawl felt empty without him, would've rounded out the Pokemon roster perfectly)
3. Dixie (DKC2 was one of my favorite games as a very young kid. DK series needed love. She would've been my main without Wolf).
4. An uncloned Ganondorf.

I would've taken any of them and been plenty happy. Not even all. Just one would have been alright. Especially if it was Wolf. I know Sakurai doesn't cater to anyone, but my wishlist wasn't farfetched, or outrageous, or unreasonable, or unpopular.

I got none of them. All I got...was Dark Pit and Kid Icarus a**-kissing. I love Sakurai, but man did he blow off his fanbase. How do you expect to sell a game to consumers that you ignore? Especially when said game is the saving grace of your parent's company's flagship system? Yeah, not everyone is going to agree, but it wasn't even "not seeing eye to eye" about everything. It was ignoring most of the West's requests outright. And cutting some very beloved veterans. We had A LOT of requests...but those we really wanted stood out far and above the rest. And they weren't even acknowledged.

Here's hoping for DLC, otherwise, my hype train has kinda derailed.
This. So damn disappointing that they cut a fairly unique character who had specials similar to Fox and Falco, but worked differently. Wolf is pretty damn awesome in Brawl. Mewtwo is one of the most iconic Pokemon in the series and should have returned. For the DK series, I wanted both K. Rool and Dixie to be included because they are characters who have tons of potential to be playable. Sucks that the DK series gets screwed hard this time. And as for Ganondorf, this is the third Smash game he is playable in. You would have thought that Sakurai would give a unique moveset this time, but nope, FALCONDORF. I bet he probably has that damn sword taunt again. It would have been sweet as hell to see Ganondorf have a moveset like in Hyrule Warriors, but sadly not.

With Dixie, K. Rool, Isaac, and Ridley not appearing yet, I have that feeling that they could be saved for the Wii U version, but only time will tell on that. I hope for it, but we'll have to see.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I know I said this a week ago, but I just want to say again that I've had a blast posting in this thread for the past two years, and I want to say my goodbyes and thanks to everyone in here. This thread caused me to actually join SmashBoards and you guys helped make the wait for the game more bearable. While we didn't get what we wanted, I still enjoyed my time here speculating and editing the OP. Here's hoping that we get Dixie in the next installment. I might stick around and post in the general Smash 4 and Project: M forums, but I'll miss the comradery in here.

(This is, of course, assuming we don't get her as DLC, but I'm not going to hold on to any possibilities until DLC is actually 100% confirmed. I'll definitely be back if that's the case).

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I'm a day late with the Dixie being deconfirmed stuff but I do hope Dixie gets in as DLC or in the next Smash game. Just like a lot of other support threads, I haven't been able to post in them due to my ****ed up sleeping schedule. It's really saddening seeing everybody so down, there's no reason why characters like Dixie, Isaac, Paper Mario, and the Hype Three shouldn't be in this game, especially considering that this game has an all star feel to it. Once the next Dixie support thread gets made, whether it's Dixie for DLC or Dixie for SSB5, I'll be supporting her with you guys.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Eh, maybe I'm too optimistic, but nothing's really changed in my mind. Since it was confirmed, I figured the ESRB roster would be in the base version of the 3DS release and that others would be held off to hype up the Wii U version. The only blemish on the theory is the padlock on All-Star being removed, but that doesn't kill the theory. The rumors/leaks worth looking at say Dixie, Ridley, Mewtwo, and Chorus Kids are coming. None are proven for the time being, but things definitely look better for Dixie than for most other characters.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I have not participated in this thread very much (I was mostly active in K.Rool's), but I wanted to express my disappointment that Dixie wasn't included. It's really sad how a character that has had her own games (and been a playable character in many others) is barely even acknowledged by the development team. Other characters with much less have received a lot more love.

Even if we didn't include Tropical Freeze in the equation, it is disappointing to see how little attention the DK series' long and prolific legacy has received. Some are rationalizing this as "Tropical Freeze came too late", but I find it disheartening that a single new game would be that important if this game is truly about representing Nintendo's most popular and iconic characters. Dixie had the "resume" to get in even without Tropical Freeze. It's sad that a single new game can apparently make it for many other characters but Dixie (and K. Rool's) steady and high-profile appearances are not worth even an assist trophy.

I hope Dixie is not overlooked again. She's awesome and you're all awesome for sustaining her torch.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...
http://i.imgur.com/wA9QjlB.png?1
I'm sorry, guys. I really hoped DK would get more representation this time around, but it seems Sakurai just won't let it happen.
Damn... I really hope you guys, matter of fact we as a whole (Everyone I've come across of has said they hope DK gets more reps) get Dixie in the next game, unless she becomes DLC which I doubt it at this point.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Welp. That's disappointing but I wasn't really expecting that extended leak to pan out. Sorry for everyone who wanted her.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
There's no hope now, that was the deconfirmation right there. Deconfirmed everything.

I guess the only thing we can hope for is a cool DK stage on Wii U, or maybe K. Rool as a boss. But the dream is dead, Sakurai hates the DK franchise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sorry guys but at least she's one of the first in line for the next game. Dixie will eventually have her day. If anything, she largely got screwed over by Tropical Freeze coming out so late. If Nintendo had revealed it at E3 2012 like they had originally planned, she probably would have gotten in.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Not judging this on any recent rumor or anything but i do believe Smash 4 will have some type of DLC. It just wouldn't make sense for MK8 to get DLC and not Smash Bros. However i dont believe at all any DK newcomer will be part of it. The dream is dead guys!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Sorry guys but at least she's one of the first in line for the next game. Dixie will eventually have her day. If anything, she largely got screwed over by Tropical Freeze coming out so late. If Nintendo had revealed it at E3 2012 like they had originally planned, she probably would have gotten in.
The next game is in six or so years... It's just too long of a wait, and who knows what health Nintendo will be in by then, if there even will be a Smash. Ugh... This was Dixie's best opportunity, especially after Tropical Freeze (although that could be a reason why she wasn't in, it was just too new... Darn shame).

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The next game is in six or so years... It's just too long of a wait, and who knows what health Nintendo will be in by then, if there even will be a Smash. Ugh... This was Dixie's best opportunity, especially after Tropical Freeze (although that could be a reason why she wasn't in, it was just too new... Darn shame).
'Tis the saddest thing. I can still see some hope for Dixie Kong, but it has dropped quite a bit. If her, Ridley, and Isaac couldn't make it this time around, I honestly don't know if they ever will. This was their time. Especially Isaac. I think that if he doesn't end up doing the crazy and showing up as DLC or something, he will NEVER be playable. And Ridley too, just because it's beyond ridiculous he's not playable this time around. It's like Sakurai has just shot him down for good.

I don't follow the 'Nintendo is doomed!" bandwagon, but honestly, how do they even expect to get SSBU to sell now? How do they think they're going to get the console to sell with a title that has the very same characters as the title on their already very successful handheld platform that almost everybody always has. I guarantee you, if there was any chance of my SSB-playing friends wanting the Wii U somewhere down the line for SSBU, it's dead... Because they already have the 3DS. For competitive players, it may matter to have the Wii U version, but they aren't the majority.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Well, Golden Sun is a niche 2nd party franchise, people were lucky enough to get somebody from Xenoblade, and that's first party. Ridley has the excuse of being too big or being a boss, and even the Metroid series itself continually under-performs despite a crazy loud fanbase online... But there's no excuse to leave out Dixie, no excuse. DKCR on Wii alone sold more than any individual Zelda game on Wii, yet we see more Zelda content. The DK series is first party, is prioritized by Nintendo and is given to the best developers they have (and has been, aside from PAON for the spin-offs), and it has unique characters, plenty of them, and some important enough to be included in Smash, I'd say.

Yes, Star Fox, Mother, and Wario fans should feel disappointed too, their franchises took a step backwards... But those franchises were never heavy hitters like DK, and they certainly didn't have a massive and successful revival during the previous generation (the generation this Smash Bros. game is reflecting the most). For the DK series to get practically nothing out of that renaissance is a HUGE disservice, particularly when franchises like Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem didn't sell nearly as much but get loads more content. It doesn't make sense

DK has both relevancy and legacy, it's not niche, and it has unique characters... What gives, Sakurai? What seriously gives?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly though, if Dixie were to make it in the 3DS version, she would've been just a stat changing clone, luckily you guys didn't have to experience that fate with her, all the last minute characters are basically near-clone.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
No K. Rool, no Dixie, no new DK stage, and probably no DK Assist Trophies. **** my life.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And Captain Toad, too... I hope his own game is a success and Nintendo continues making Captain Toad more unique from Mario, Luigi, and Peach... and I also hope Retro keeps including Dixie as a playable character in future Donkey Kong Country games.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Either being a trophy is meaningless and a trophy character can still become DLC... or the real surprise is that Chunky was the new DK rep all along (havent seen footage of the AT if that actually exists yet)... or Lord Frederik maybe?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm obviously dating myself here but people were saying the same thing when Brawl came out. Nintendo's not going anywhere and they've got a goofy amount in savings, like, Scrooge McDuck levels of savings. If I remember right, they could survive a loss of 200 million a year for 25 years and still have money. Six years seems like a long time but really it isn't plus, based on past patterns, the next game will be announced sometime around 2018/19 so really it'll only be about four until the speculation machine starts to churn and start up again.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Damn, this is a tough one to swallow. If there were no trophies, I figured that was prime reason to believe the four were coming later. In a way, I'm now hoping to also see trophies of Mewtwo and Ridley, because the rumors are more likely to be true if all the characters in it are being treated equally. Of course, if they don't appear at all, that will be noteworthy for them, but Dixie will practically be guaranteed gone, along with K. Rool, and DK gets the shaft.

Top Bottom