• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So the eshop demo roster had basically every revealed character except Lucina. This makes me pretty confident that the unrevealed reps are unlockables, meaning they won't get revealed by Sakurai on release. This gives me a sliver of hope for Dixie as if she's in the game as an unlockable it would explain why she wasn't revealed with Diddy.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
From what i read i thought it was possiblle to fit a Starfox rep(Wolf), Pokemon rep(Mewtwo) Single series rep(Chorus Kids) And clone(Dixie) The final spot will go to Miis
Unfortunately, that's not possible either... Putting in Wolf and Mewtwo bumps down DHD and ROB into the fifth row, so we'd then have to add two additional characters to that row to then bump down the group of clones to the final row. The RH dude/chorus kids could go between Olimar and Wii Fit trainer (Rhythm Tengoku is 2006, Wii Fit is 2007), but that still leaves room for one more dude, and I suppose Lucas or Ice Climber could fit in there, but only one of them.

That leaves us with the final row having Dr. Mario, Dixie, Dark Pit, Lucina, Shulk, and the third parties. And that's the only way I could fit Dixie with that. It'd be really nice to know how the Miis affect the roster if they do at all.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Unfortunately, that's not possible either... Putting in Wolf and Mewtwo bumps down DHD and ROB into the fifth row, so we'd then have to add two additional characters to that row to then bump down the group of clones to the final row. The RH dude/chorus kids could go between Olimar and Wii Fit trainer (Rhythm Tengoku is 2006, Wii Fit is 2007), but that still leaves room for one more dude, and I suppose Lucas or Ice Climber could fit in there, but only one of them.

That leaves us with the final row having Dr. Mario, Dixie, Dark Pit, Lucina, Shulk, and the third parties. And that's the only way I could fit Dixie with that. It'd be really nice to know how the Miis affect the roster if they do at all.
Actually, I still think it's possible to put Dixie (and K. Rool) in the DK section. It will move around the roster a little bit, but it still keeps them in chronological order. I'm going to post my example roster again.

NOTE: This makes sense if you consider the single-rep series on a separate track than the multi-rep series. The "clone section" is treated like its own series.

If we put K. Rool and Dixie in the DK section, that will bump the Metroid characters down into the third row. If we add Ridley, we need to bump the Kirby section down to the fourth row, however, we need to keep Little Mac where he is. Since the Kirby section is now in the fourth row, this will move the Pokemon section down into the fifth row, allowing room for Mewtwo. To make room for the Pokemon section, we need to move Ness and Captain Falcon up to the fourth row, and we need to send the rest of the single-rep series past the clone section to the sixth row, and Chorus Kids can be added.

The end result is that Shulk's placement next to the third-parties makes sense, we have made room for five other characters, and there is a neat divide between the "retro" single-reps and the "modern" single-reps.

I'm aware that in my example, Jigglypuff needs to be after Lucario, and Chorus Kids need to be before Wii Fit Trainer, but that can be done easily.

It may seem a little far-fetched to some, but I think it can work.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, it's the final week. I'll stick with Dixie till the end.... BTW, I'm watching GameXplain's most recent vid analysis of SSB3DS's Japan demo from this weekend and they mention something I noticed. About Fox McCloud having a "Wolf O'Donnell" skin, and Pit having a "refreshed" "Dark Pit" skin, the skins don't look like the characters they supposedly reference. Now look at Diddy. He supposedly has a "Dixie Kong" "skin", but it's just him with a pink t-shirt and cap, with YELLOW fur. Last I checked, Dixie never had YELLOW fur, and Dark Pit himself is more than likely confirmed to playable in the game, albeit as an unlockable character. So let's not rule out Dixie yet, okay? If I didn't make some good points/arguments, please help me out here. My brain is a little fried from my homework today. School, am I right?:rolleyes:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
In terms of roster placement, I think that at the end of the day we can't really speculate too much. Who knows, they could end up flipping a whole row around and we wouldn't know. You can never get a proper conclusion from that kind of speculation, and at this point we may as well just wait.

And as for the Dixie alt...I agree with everything all of you have said, Diddy's 'Dixie' alt references her, but wouldn't actually cause any confusion in a battle because her fur is not blonde, and they would still look nothing alike. Therefore, there is not good reason to remove it unlike the Dark Pit alt, so it would just be like the Mario/Wario alt and the Kirby/MK one. So no reason to worry.

But besides that...all we can really do is wait now. Here's hoping this thread will be a celebratory one come Sunday.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I know it's a really minor point, but I really dislike how Nintendo has decided to remove her kneepads in recent appearances. I also didn't like how they rehashed Tiny to make her non-tiny. Not only does she not look as cool as she did before, but they completely removed her only gimmick and unique quality, so now she's basically Candy with pigtails.

I feel like everything good that's been done in the DK universe was done by outside companies and everything bad has been done by Nintendo themselves.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I know it's a really minor point, but I really dislike how Nintendo has decided to remove her kneepads in recent appearances. I also didn't like how they rehashed Tiny to make her non-tiny. Not only does she not look as cool as she did before, but they completely removed her only gimmick and unique quality, so now she's basically Candy with pigtails.

I feel like everything good that's been done in the DK universe was done by outside companies and everything bad has been done by Nintendo themselves.
Kneepads? Big deal. Tiny not tiny? I actually like the new Tiny better since she's more distinct from Dixie.

Are you calling Tropical Freeze and Jungle Beat bad? Uh-uh, no way, Jose.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I have to agree with Kremling Klansman on Tiny at least. The original Tiny was just a Dixie wannabe. The new Tiny is more distinct. As for Dixie's kneepads... I didn't even notice, honestly. I forgot she even had them.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
She doesn't have the pink toenail polish anymore either!

I don't really mind, the main draw for the character is her hat and hair, and that little tie in her t-shirt. The kneepads and toenails are kind of over-designing it, to be honest.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
As long as they never get rid of Dixie's hat, I'm happy. And I love Tiny's redesign. She looks like she was a child in DK64 and is now a teenager.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
dk NEEDS more reps. i cant decide if dixie or k rool deserves it more. i have to say... i support both. already an avid supporter of mewtwo and ridley.... may as well add dixie and k. rool in :p
so yeah i am a dixie kong supporter. :p

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
I'm going to basically copy/paste what I said about King K. Rool over on his respective thread, because I feel the same way about Dixie Kong.

But here's how I view it... I want both King K. Rool AND Dixie Kong, otherwise I don't really want either. To me, those two would complete the Donkey Kong roster, fill it out nicely, since those four are the major players of that series. If either Dixie or K. Rool aren't present, I don't really want to bother with either. It would be like including Peach over Bowser or Bowser over Peach, it just wouldn't feel right. If one or the other IS confirmed but not the other, I'd be fine with it, I'll just hope that by the next game the other will be included, and thus the DK roster will be complete!

...Of course, if CRANKY KONG were included instead of Dixie Kong and/or King K. Rool I'd be perfectly fine with that! ;)

But as for Dixie Kong, it would definitely be cool and cute. I always did like her and was sad to see her absent from Donkey Kong games for the longest time. Being able to play as her in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is great, ESPECIALLY since she's pretty much the best character in the game (Cranky is a close second). The roster could always use more female characters, and she'd be a cute addition, using her hair for attacks, perhaps utilizing bubble gum in some ways, and her final smash would be her guitar from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest! It would be awesome, even if she didn't come with King K. Rool.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
....anybody have the dixie support icon? just the dixie support icon? :O
You can take it from my sig. They look glued together, but they're all separate. Right-click, then copy image URL. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'd take Cranky Kong over Dixie and K. Rool in a heartbeat, if I was given the choice. Buuuuuut, I know the DK series has a form of hierarchy and characters that mean more to the series, like Dixie and K. Rool, so sure, I'll root for the more deserving character. But that doesn't mean the idea of a playable Cranky doesn't excite me more. I mean, Cranky is the ultimate retro character, he's the original Donkey Kong, and he's talked his head off about being the greatest video game hero for generations. Plus, he never did get a rematch with Mario. It's been 30 YEARS!!! Let's see that happen again!

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
You can take it from my sig. They look glued together, but they're all separate. Right-click, then copy image URL. Easy peasy.
thanks! ^u^
anyway dkc2 was my first dkc game. (admittedly the friend i played it with had the less awesome but still pretty good gba port) and i would love to have dixie kong in (kiddie can be left to obscurity though :p)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Okay everyone..we'll know the full roster by the end of the week and have the answer to whether Dixie's confirmed. As the clock reaches zero we hope that she's playable, and while my ideas have no bearing on what we'll get if she's in, I can express my desire that Dixie has an original moveset through these drawings, and possibly inspire others regarding her potential. I'm very confident she won't be the way I envision her, but as long as she's unique and at the very least fun to play as, I will bear no ill will.

Up Smash: Jolt

Dixie starts her Up Smash with a handstand pose. Her arms and hair stay bent on the ground to support herself and cushion her head, for balancing in that position can be painful.

The blood flows down as the attack charges, but she remains clear-headed and focused. And then...

ssSSSHWEEEEEemsh!!! She launches herself straight up to collide with foes and knock them higher! Her hair goes from a curled cushion to propel herself upward; as she does so she extends her legs in the hopes of impacting enemies with blunt force. She uses her hair merely for assistance, as this attack has her rely on her feet to deal the damage, and boy is it strong. The force she uses to blast upwards coupled with the overall trajectory makes this quite a jolt for her!

A near - strictly vertical attack from Dixie. The extended length of her ponytail matches the length of her body, and thus like many of her moves she's granted some good range. As she shoots upward her feet have incredible force; it's not as powerful as her Forward Smash, but it has quite a healthy bit of killing power. Also, due to the vertical nature of this move, it's most effective on those directly above her and the knockback is vertically oriented as well.

In regard to Smash attacks, Dixie's Forward relies mostly on her hair to deal damage; her Up reverses that "role" and her Down has no reliance on her hair. A nice dynamic IMO.

[Collapse=Down Tilt: Handstand Slam]

To pull off her Down Tilt, Dixie does a swift handstand and lets her hair fall forward to smash into the ground. Opponents hit by it will be bounced upwards with semi decent force if their % is at or near zero; the knockback (or more accurately knock-up) is good but the move's not KO worthy unless on really high percentages, though it's a nice and quick way to bounce opponents off.

Here's the attack layout. At Position 1 tthere's no attack, but the transition to P2 is something to be aware of, as the startup swing does negligible damage but may knock you forward if grounded or swung with slightly more force if aerial. In either case, if you get hit at this transition, you should be pushed just out of the reach of this DTilt, with minor damage if you're higher than 20%. If your % is lower than 20, you're likely to endure the full attack. At P2, Dixie's hair swings downward, so anything hit from this point on the way to P3 will nudged or forced underneath the hair. At P3, the hair makes contact with the ground and BAM! The attack has unfolded. Anything it immediately touches will be bounced upwards as the attack is complete, and those that were forced through the whole move will be slammed into the ground, bounced up and receive higher damage and knockback than those making contact at P3. P4 is simply Dixie returning to her neutral position.

The move is quick on the startup side but has just a touch of ending lag; about the speed of Diddy's Forward Tilt, and as the move bounces foes upward I liken it to a 1-directional shockwave with (surprise surprise) nice reach thanks to her hair. It's quick and strong but not a killing move, however you might be able to use it to set up her Up Tilt at the right percentages. Just think...Dtilt-> UTilt-> FTilt/FSmash. This is one of Dixie's "Get back!" moves. [/Collapse]

[Collapse=Back Air: Whiplash Whirl]

Here we have a hair-assisted whiplash attack. She curves her hair around her then immediately turns 180 degresss, extending her hair in the process to smack foes, much like her forward smash but reversed. She then turns back to her start position. A powerful move, no doubt, but not quite the fastest airborne attack of hers. It takes a split second to get to the part you see above (while most BAirs are practically instantaneous) and the ending lag's roughly the same, so you might wanna use this move preemptively if you're sure it'll hit, and when it does it pays off. Not quite as fast as other BAirs or Dixie's other aerials, but still a reliable speed with good power. It is her strongest aerial move, and if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit by one of Ike's aerials, you'll have a very solid idea of its KO potential.

Also, as it is a tad slower due to startup and ending lag, it would be tougher to use this move as much as others before you land. Dixie doesn't have to worry too much though, because she's got an ability to stay airborne for quite some time. It's an ability...that I'll detail later..[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Up Air: Simian Cyclone]
Up Air

While airborne, Dixie can use her hair for more than maneuvering. She can treat enemies above her to a violent display of her hair's spinning ability, in which her ponytail twists and throttles wildly; it jerks and whips in a dangerous fashion, abandoning the more graceful movements it's known for and embraces a feral nature. The ponytail lashes and contorts relentlessly in a strange circular form that resembles a tornado, and thus she's able to gain multiple hits while enemies are caught in this cyclone.

Dixie makes a sort of free falling pose to pull off the move. Her arms are stretched outward while her head dips so that her feet are the highest point of her body; this allows her ponytail enough room to swivel uncontrollably without smacking herself, and her body is poised to help her with her movement, for the turbulent nature of her Simian Cyclone slows her good air speed. Fortunately this move slows her falling speed considerably, as she is spinning her ponytail afterall.

Great for racking up damage and trapping enemies in a hairy cyclone, not much of a killing move.[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Forward Smash: Whiplash Smash]

To begin her Forward Smash attack, Dixie coils her hair around herself and turns her back to her foes. As she charges the move her hair tightens and snakes around her body; she balances on one foot in preparation for what's to come, unaffected by her own constricted grip. The extent of the coil grows with each second while Dixie grows more determined to maintain her posture. The pressure mounts...and then finally...!

WHAAAOOOOoomsshh!! She makes a fierce spin and unravels her hair, slashing the space around her! While she turns, her ponytail extends to whip the air with immense might and smack anything it collides with HARD. The force behind this move is extreme and her strongest smash attack without a doubt, and you can even hear the wind crack while the move's used. She easily surpasses her boyfriend's strength and practically rivals DK's!
This is a high-powered move with amazing knockback and high killing power, so do your best to avoid it! This move is a stationary spin attack that, thanks to her hair, gives this kong an elliptical strike range with impressive reach, damage, knockback and KO potential. The move starts quickly but has a bit of ending lag, for a revolution that fiercely performed needs a moment to keep balance. The upside to this however is that Dixie's using her hair to attack, and thus has a bit of a backswing that foes should beware. The backswing isn't as deadly (far less tbh) or powerful but it still packs a punch, so rolling around Dixie or standing behind this attack will leave you with a nasty surprise.

Dixie's UpTilt is a good setup for this move.

I finally got to show a smash attack. The idea behind it is a powerful backhand move where hair is used instead of hand, and I think it works out nicely[/collapse]

[collapse=Neutral Air: Splitting Kong]

A nice whirling kick. She spins twice to let her feet hit you; it pushes enemies back on moderate damage percentages and hits two times when used on those with low percentages. Nothing too special about the move, but its reliable and gets its job done. [/collapse]

[Collapse=Jab & Finisher]Okay everyone, here's my jab idea for The Third Hero:

Using her hair for support, she sits back and kicks her feet forward; Dixie pedals her feet back continuously to rack up damage.

Then, to finish her rapid kicks, she uses her hair and body to thrust herself forward feet first to give opponents a forceful shove. Thanks to her hair's length she's able to move a nice distance for her finisher.

Originally I thought of the 2nd drawing as a forward tilt backup idea, but after seeing the introduction of standard attack finishers in a Pic of the Day months ago, I knew what to do with this move.[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Forward Tilt: Side Swing]
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Up Tilt: Figure Ape]

Dixie's UpTilt involves her body facing us as she shuffles gracefully left to right or vice versa. She literally tilts; as she does so her hair sways with her to whack opponents above her, behind her and in front of her to move them around. It has great range and its effective at crowd control, but it has little knockback and by extension no real killing power. It is however good for disrupting aerial approaches and those that are too close as it displaces them, and if a foe's damage is substantial they'll be swept around through the whole animation instead of part of it. It's best to use this on airborne targets as they'll typically get stirred more than grounded opponents, who are more likely to get smacked depending on where they are, how close they are to Dixie and what stage her attack's in. It's generally a carrying attack. She'll always start the move from behind where she's facing; this is good to for getting those who rolled around her.

This is the attack's layout. At position 1, she starts the move and foes directly above as well as those beside her get hit and swept to position 2. Grounded opponents who got hit during position 1 will be swept and usually left here. Airborne victims likely won't. At P2, new victims both grounded and aerial will be whacked and likely carried with the airborne victims of P1 and swung to P3 where the attack ends. From this point, victims will either hit the ground or be chucked forward a bit, especially if their damage % is EXTREMELY high. Enemies who make contact at P3 will simply get whacked and pushed back. They only take damage ranging from average to below average from this move at these 3 points. Good for displacement, close-quarters crowd control or setting up the Forward Tilt or Forward Smash. [/Collapse]

Thanks again to everyone who has taken a shine to these ideas!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Dang, you put a lot of work into the basic attacks there! I would've just said "she does a bunch of junk with her ponytail, like whips and grabs and stuff" but you went the extra mile! Nice!

I'd also love to see her borrow some moves from DK, like the B-down handslap attack, except with the "hair back and forth" animation from Tropical Freeze instead.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Okay everyone..we'll know the full roster by the end of the week and have the answer to whether Dixie's confirmed. As the clock reaches zero we hope that she's playable, and while my ideas have no bearing on what we'll get if she's in, I can express my desire that Dixie has an original moveset through these drawings, and possibly inspire others regarding her potential. I'm very confident she won't be the way I envision her, but as long as she's unique and at the very least fun to play as, I will bear no ill will.

Up Smash: Jolt

Dixie starts her Up Smash with a handstand pose. Her arms and hair stay bent on the ground to support herself and cushion her head, for balancing in that position can be painful.

The blood flows down as the attack charges, but she remains clear-headed and focused. And then...

ssSSSHWEEEEEemsh!!! She launches herself straight up to collide with foes and knock them higher! Her hair goes from a curled cushion to propel herself upward; as she does so she extends her legs in the hopes of impacting enemies with blunt force. She uses her hair merely for assistance, as this attack has her rely on her feet to deal the damage, and boy is it strong. The force she uses to blast upwards coupled with the overall trajectory makes this quite a jolt for her!

A near - strictly vertical attack from Dixie. The extended length of her ponytail matches the length of her body, and thus like many of her moves she's granted some good range. As she shoots upward her feet have incredible force; it's not as powerful as her Forward Smash, but it has quite a healthy bit of killing power. Also, due to the vertical nature of this move, it's most effective on those directly above her and the knockback is vertically oriented as well.

In regard to Smash attacks, Dixie's Forward relies mostly on her hair to deal damage; her Up reverses that "role" and her Down has no reliance on her hair. A nice dynamic IMO.

[Collapse=Down Tilt: Handstand Slam]

To pull off her Down Tilt, Dixie does a swift handstand and lets her hair fall forward to smash into the ground. Opponents hit by it will be bounced upwards with semi decent force if their % is at or near zero; the knockback (or more accurately knock-up) is good but the move's not KO worthy unless on really high percentages, though it's a nice and quick way to bounce opponents off.

Here's the attack layout. At Position 1 tthere's no attack, but the transition to P2 is something to be aware of, as the startup swing does negligible damage but may knock you forward if grounded or swung with slightly more force if aerial. In either case, if you get hit at this transition, you should be pushed just out of the reach of this DTilt, with minor damage if you're higher than 20%. If your % is lower than 20, you're likely to endure the full attack. At P2, Dixie's hair swings downward, so anything hit from this point on the way to P3 will nudged or forced underneath the hair. At P3, the hair makes contact with the ground and BAM! The attack has unfolded. Anything it immediately touches will be bounced upwards as the attack is complete, and those that were forced through the whole move will be slammed into the ground, bounced up and receive higher damage and knockback than those making contact at P3. P4 is simply Dixie returning to her neutral position.

The move is quick on the startup side but has just a touch of ending lag; about the speed of Diddy's Forward Tilt, and as the move bounces foes upward I liken it to a 1-directional shockwave with (surprise surprise) nice reach thanks to her hair. It's quick and strong but not a killing move, however you might be able to use it to set up her Up Tilt at the right percentages. Just think...Dtilt-> UTilt-> FTilt/FSmash. This is one of Dixie's "Get back!" moves. [/Collapse]

[Collapse=Back Air: Whiplash Whirl]

Here we have a hair-assisted whiplash attack. She curves her hair around her then immediately turns 180 degresss, extending her hair in the process to smack foes, much like her forward smash but reversed. She then turns back to her start position. A powerful move, no doubt, but not quite the fastest airborne attack of hers. It takes a split second to get to the part you see above (while most BAirs are practically instantaneous) and the ending lag's roughly the same, so you might wanna use this move preemptively if you're sure it'll hit, and when it does it pays off. Not quite as fast as other BAirs or Dixie's other aerials, but still a reliable speed with good power. It is her strongest aerial move, and if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit by one of Ike's aerials, you'll have a very solid idea of its KO potential.

Also, as it is a tad slower due to startup and ending lag, it would be tougher to use this move as much as others before you land. Dixie doesn't have to worry too much though, because she's got an ability to stay airborne for quite some time. It's an ability...that I'll detail later..[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Up Air: Simian Cyclone]
Up Air

While airborne, Dixie can use her hair for more than maneuvering. She can treat enemies above her to a violent display of her hair's spinning ability, in which her ponytail twists and throttles wildly; it jerks and whips in a dangerous fashion, abandoning the more graceful movements it's known for and embraces a feral nature. The ponytail lashes and contorts relentlessly in a strange circular form that resembles a tornado, and thus she's able to gain multiple hits while enemies are caught in this cyclone.

Dixie makes a sort of free falling pose to pull off the move. Her arms are stretched outward while her head dips so that her feet are the highest point of her body; this allows her ponytail enough room to swivel uncontrollably without smacking herself, and her body is poised to help her with her movement, for the turbulent nature of her Simian Cyclone slows her good air speed. Fortunately this move slows her falling speed considerably, as she is spinning her ponytail afterall.

Great for racking up damage and trapping enemies in a hairy cyclone, not much of a killing move.[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Forward Smash: Whiplash Smash]

To begin her Forward Smash attack, Dixie coils her hair around herself and turns her back to her foes. As she charges the move her hair tightens and snakes around her body; she balances on one foot in preparation for what's to come, unaffected by her own constricted grip. The extent of the coil grows with each second while Dixie grows more determined to maintain her posture. The pressure mounts...and then finally...!

WHAAAOOOOoomsshh!! She makes a fierce spin and unravels her hair, slashing the space around her! While she turns, her ponytail extends to whip the air with immense might and smack anything it collides with HARD. The force behind this move is extreme and her strongest smash attack without a doubt, and you can even hear the wind crack while the move's used. She easily surpasses her boyfriend's strength and practically rivals DK's!
This is a high-powered move with amazing knockback and high killing power, so do your best to avoid it! This move is a stationary spin attack that, thanks to her hair, gives this kong an elliptical strike range with impressive reach, damage, knockback and KO potential. The move starts quickly but has a bit of ending lag, for a revolution that fiercely performed needs a moment to keep balance. The upside to this however is that Dixie's using her hair to attack, and thus has a bit of a backswing that foes should beware. The backswing isn't as deadly (far less tbh) or powerful but it still packs a punch, so rolling around Dixie or standing behind this attack will leave you with a nasty surprise.

Dixie's UpTilt is a good setup for this move.

I finally got to show a smash attack. The idea behind it is a powerful backhand move where hair is used instead of hand, and I think it works out nicely[/collapse]

[collapse=Neutral Air: Splitting Kong]

A nice whirling kick. She spins twice to let her feet hit you; it pushes enemies back on moderate damage percentages and hits two times when used on those with low percentages. Nothing too special about the move, but its reliable and gets its job done. [/collapse]

[Collapse=Jab & Finisher]Okay everyone, here's my jab idea for The Third Hero:

Using her hair for support, she sits back and kicks her feet forward; Dixie pedals her feet back continuously to rack up damage.

Then, to finish her rapid kicks, she uses her hair and body to thrust herself forward feet first to give opponents a forceful shove. Thanks to her hair's length she's able to move a nice distance for her finisher.

Originally I thought of the 2nd drawing as a forward tilt backup idea, but after seeing the introduction of standard attack finishers in a Pic of the Day months ago, I knew what to do with this move.[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Forward Tilt: Side Swing]
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Up Tilt: Figure Ape]

Dixie's UpTilt involves her body facing us as she shuffles gracefully left to right or vice versa. She literally tilts; as she does so her hair sways with her to whack opponents above her, behind her and in front of her to move them around. It has great range and its effective at crowd control, but it has little knockback and by extension no real killing power. It is however good for disrupting aerial approaches and those that are too close as it displaces them, and if a foe's damage is substantial they'll be swept around through the whole animation instead of part of it. It's best to use this on airborne targets as they'll typically get stirred more than grounded opponents, who are more likely to get smacked depending on where they are, how close they are to Dixie and what stage her attack's in. It's generally a carrying attack. She'll always start the move from behind where she's facing; this is good to for getting those who rolled around her.

This is the attack's layout. At position 1, she starts the move and foes directly above as well as those beside her get hit and swept to position 2. Grounded opponents who got hit during position 1 will be swept and usually left here. Airborne victims likely won't. At P2, new victims both grounded and aerial will be whacked and likely carried with the airborne victims of P1 and swung to P3 where the attack ends. From this point, victims will either hit the ground or be chucked forward a bit, especially if their damage % is EXTREMELY high. Enemies who make contact at P3 will simply get whacked and pushed back. They only take damage ranging from average to below average from this move at these 3 points. Good for displacement, close-quarters crowd control or setting up the Forward Tilt or Forward Smash. [/Collapse]

Thanks again to everyone who has taken a shine to these ideas!
Hey man, you have a great attention for detail. Great illustrations. Makes me excited to see what potential Dixie can have for a unique moveset.I applaud your work good sir.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Kneepads? Big deal. Tiny not tiny? I actually like the new Tiny better since she's more distinct from Dixie.

Are you calling Tropical Freeze and Jungle Beat bad? Uh-uh, no way, Jose.
TF was done by Retro. I haven't played Jungle Beat (although it looks interesting) but it doesn't seem to have achieved the acclaim that the Countries and DK64 did.

It was Nintendo's decision to rehash the idea that Cranky was DK's father. This caused confusion, and it's only since Retro came along and said he's DK's grandfather that we have an clear canon.

They removed Dixie's kneepads and nail polish. I don't know they'd decideto remove perfectly fine aesthetic details that served to further distinguish her from Diddy even more.

It was also Nintendo's idea to change Tiny's appearance. I don't understand how people can say the new design distinguishes her more from Dixie. If anything it's done the opposite. She never looked like Dixie, and by making her taller they've removed her size gimmick, which was not only why she had her name, but was the only unique gimmick she had, leaving her only with Dixie's hair gimmick. Plus now she looks like Candy as opposed to having a unique body composition.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It wasn't Nintendo's idea to make Cranky DK's father, it was Rare's idea. In the manual for DK64 Cranky called DK his "good for nothing son".

I'm going to be honest, I don't think DK64 holds up as a very good game, and I don't think Tiny is a good character (big or small!), but eh, it did well enough in the Christmas season it released in, so it has some fans. I'd much rather play the DKC games, both from Rare and Retro.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
TF was done by Retro. I haven't played Jungle Beat (although it looks interesting) but it doesn't seem to have achieved the acclaim that the Countries and DK64 did.

It was Nintendo's decision to rehash the idea that Cranky was DK's father. This caused confusion, and it's only since Retro came along and said he's DK's grandfather that we have an clear canon.

They removed Dixie's kneepads and nail polish. I don't know they'd decideto remove perfectly fine aesthetic details that served to further distinguish her from Diddy even more.

It was also Nintendo's idea to change Tiny's appearance. I don't understand how people can say the new design distinguishes her more from Dixie. If anything it's done the opposite. She never looked like Dixie, and by making her taller they've removed her size gimmick, which was not only why she had her name, but was the only unique gimmick she had, leaving her only with Dixie's hair gimmick. Plus now she looks like Candy as opposed to having a unique body composition.
I too felt Tiny had her own distinctive feel and aesthetic. For beginners, the differences in their outside appearance are immediately apparent. Tiny wears overalls and Dixie wears a tied top, her hair is in pigtails as opposed to one pony tail, and her eyes are blue. Lot of immediate things that pop out. Then, 64 developed her abilities like it did with the other Kongs, further differentiating Tiny from Dixie. I think it's ok for them to bear a slight resemblance to each other given that they are sisters.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It wasn't Nintendo's idea to make Cranky DK's father, it was Rare's idea. In the manual for DK64 Cranky called DK his "good for nothing son".

I'm going to be honest, I don't think DK64 holds up as a very good game, and I don't think Tiny is a good character (big or small!), but eh, it did well enough in the Christmas season it released in, so it has some fans. I'd much rather play the DKC games, both from Rare and Retro.
I was saying that Nintendo removed Rare's idea that Cranky was DK's father, which I thought was cool.

I thought DK 64 was the best platformer on the 64 because it basically did everything platformers like Mario 64 or Banjo did, but gave you more characters and more abitilies. Let's be real who didn't think that having guns and orange grenades was insanely badass.The instruments were really cool. The only problem with the game was how it could get annoying at times constantly having to run to a tag barrel to switch Kongs. I also didn't like how DK was portrayed but that's a personal gripe.

Speaking of games, I've started playing DKC3 for the first time and I'm convinced that all the hate it gets is due to the fact that it came out after the 64 rather than it being genuinely worse than the first 2. The game is insanely good. The music gets way more hate than it deserves. It may not be DKC2 level but it's a thousand times better than anything in a Mario game. I like the explorable overworld and I think the platforming gimmicks in this game are relaly clever and fun. I think it has the best bosses by far too. I liked how they incorporated a alot more puzzles without sacrificing platforming.

Also don't hate me but Ellie is my favourite animal buddy, I even like her more than Rambi. *Flame shield activated*

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
More isn't always better, and DK64 was certainly the case of too much... Well, for me anyway.

I too love DKC3, I love it more than DKC2 even!! And Ellie is also my favorite animal buddy!!! I thought I was the only one! And your'e right, I think the game is severely underrated, and it coming out a month or so after N64 got it swept under the rug. At the time people wanted real 3D, and DKC3 was just too old fashioned. But man, the game is great, it plays tremendously well, each stage does something creative and fun.

It's a shame DKC1 and DKC2 get referenced so much more. I'm hoping if Dixie makes it in, DKC3 will finally start getting some references, it is Dixie's starring game after all. Let's see some trophies of Ellie and Parry, maybe get Kiddy Kong in as a final smash for Dixie, it would be great!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think 3 was definitely the most inventive of all the games. It also offers the broadest range of experiences. You have more exploration and puzzles than in the other games. I do think it had the weakest atmosphere though. That's why I think everyone rants about 2, it has the best atmosphere. It has the best soundtrack and the best visuals. I don't think that the platforming in 2 is any better, aside from the difficulty. I actually dislike 2's platforming the most, but that's personal preference. It also had the worst save system.

The cool thing about the trio is that they all offer different experiences. 1 offers simplicity and the most fluid platforming. It's great for just kicking back and breezing through levels. 2 is the most 'epic', as it has the strongest atmosphere and the most difficulty. 3 is the most RPG-ish, as it has overworld exploration and more puzzle-based gameplay.

That's why even though I haven't even finished 2 or 3 (and I only finished 1 in co op) I can never stick to one game. I find myself switching between all 3 depending on my mood.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
For anyone still worried about Diddy's supposed "Dixie alt": http://i.imgur.com/UHv1lyo.jpg

Things to note:
1. Multiple characters have pink palette swaps.
2. ALL of Diddy's alts change his fur color. All of them are different.
3. Donkey Kong has a green palette swap, gg K. Rool disconfirmed.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
diddy has a dixie looking color.O no dixie deconfirmed GG.......

*Facepalm* I hate people sometimes.By this logic wario is deconfirmed and we know he's all in.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Looks like someone has the game, and things are gonna be leaking. Here we go guys!

*prayer circle*

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
IT'S HAPPENING...hold on tight. It's going to be a bumpy ride. Let's see if Dixie survives the night.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh man, this is intense (although I have a feeling if she's in, it'll be DLC or Wii U transfer sorta thing... but we'll see). Just cross your fingers she ain't a trophy!!

Nice to see Squawks show up as a trophy though!

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
After all this, I still haven't lost hope. I'm with her to the end. I still believe that since she was considered means a lot for her chances. It's my main reason why I still believe she's in to be honest.

Let's not lose hope for the girl with the whirl and it seems like we'll be finding out very soon.

Nice to see Squawks show up as a trophy though!
What?! That's awesome! Any image of it.

Last edited:

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
If Dixie doesn't make it in.. I'd be confused.. why bring back a character like that during development of Smash and not use them in Smash? O.o Example, Not a lot of people expected Rosalina til after she was confirmed for Super Mario 3D World. I wanna say the same for Dixie buut.. :dizzy:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Haven't seen any stream defeat classic with DK or Diddy...so hope is not over, although no characters outside of the leak being unlocked is worrying. At this point I'm gonna say unlikely, but I still feel strongly that Dixie is in the game. I'm gonna say DLC.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Looks like it's over. DKC has been ignored. No attempt to pull anything from the very successful revival.

Top Bottom