1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread (Under New Ownership!)

Discussion in 'SSB4 Character Discussion' started by SethTheMage, Jun 23, 2012.

1. SethTheMage

SethTheMage Smash Journeyman

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of @N3ON

Dixie Kong's Support Thread
    (Originally created by Venus of the Desert Bloom; edited and expanded by SethTheMage)

Introduction

Yes, the ponytail swinging chimp with the pink tank top is here! Dixie Kong would be an excellent addition to the Smash Bros. universe alongside her friend Donkey Kong and her boyfriend, Diddy Kong. Imagine all the drama that could happen in that encounter! So, in support of Dixie Kong, I decided to make this thread to bring in the best and brightest Dixie fans to discuss/analyze/speculate her chances for Smash 4! If you have any information, pictures, move sets, color swaps, costumes, or anything else to add to the main post, please PM or just post in on the thread.

Any and all discussion concerning Dixie is welcomed but please be respectful towards members. While negative feedback is welcomed, any type of dis-respective or rude behavior won't be tolerated, so please keep that in mind when discussing. As well, please keep the discussion on track so we avoid unnecessary rabbit holes. Discussion of the Donkey Kong series is welcomed as well as Dixie's role within the Smash universe. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: This is the Dixie thread, so don't talk about things like Ridley.

Who is Dixie Kong?

In case you aren't familiar with the character, Dixie Kong is the girlfriend of Diddy Kong. She made her debut in the classic title, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, developed in 1995 by Rare. On this adventure, Dixie used her trademark ponytail to lift objects, defeat enemies, and slow her decent. By utilizing her unique abilities, Dixie was able to work together with Diddy, and they managed to rescue Donkey Kong from the clutches of the nefarious Kaptain K. Rool.

After her debut, Dixie Kong became a staple character in the Donkey Kong franchise. She starred in her own game, Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, where she had to team up with her cousin Kiddy Kong and locate and rescue the missing Diddy and Donkey Kong. Since this adventure, while she didn't receive a role in a main-series Donkey Kong game until Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on the Wii U, Dixie appeared in numerous spinoffs throughout the Gamecube/DS/Wii era. She was an expert drummer in the Donkey Konga games, she was a playable character in the multiplayer mode of DK Jungle Climber and King of Swing, she replaced Conker in the DS remake of Diddy Kong Racing, and she soared the jungle skies in DK Barrel Blast. Dixie even made playable appearances in a few Mario sports games during this era, including Mario Hoops: 3 on 3, and both of the Mario Baseball games. While Dixie was absent from two major Donkey Kong games, Donkey Kong 64 and Donkey Kong Country Returns, she still is an important figure in the series.

What Can She Bring to the Table?
    At first glance, Dixie doesn't look like she can't do much that her boyfriend Diddy Kong can't, but she does have a few abilities that could set her apart from him. Her main attribute, her prehensile blonde ponytail, could potentially have many uses. Dixie could use it as a whip, swing it to smack her opponents around, use it as a tether grab, and most important of all, spin it around like a propeller to recover and give her superb mobility in the air. In addition to her her ponytail, Dixie has her Bubblegum Popgun from Tropical Freeze, her guitar, and she could use other items from Donkey Kong Country, such as barrels. Basically, Dixie could have a similar body shape to Diddy, but with disjointed hitboxes, multiple jumps, and aerial mobility like Jigglypuff or Pit in Brawl.

A Closing Word

I don't have a creative or witty name for those who support Dixie Kong but if you are interested in supporting Dixie, please PM me or post in the thread that you support her and I will add you to the fan membership. Within time and with enough members, we could possibly create a group or membership for Dixie Kong supporters. Now, let's show Dixie Kong our support, and let's discuss!

Fan Created Move Sets

Recolors/Costumes/ETC

@MelMoe

@Venus of the Desert Bloom

@Arcadenik

@Really Shy Guy

Arguments/Counter-Arguments

Under Construction

Pictures

Please submit your pictures of Dixie!

Members

Please PM me or post in the thread if you would like to be a Dixie Kong Supporter!

Venus of the Desert Bloom
    Shortiecanbrawl
    yani
    MelMoe
    SethTheMage
    Sonicguy726
    BluePikmin11
    Arcadenik
    smashkirby
    TumblrFamous
    Radical Beam
    Aurora Jenny
    Banjodorf
    BridgesWithTurtles
    Oz37
    Brawler610
    andimidna
    Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
    Guybrush20X6
    Xenoblaze
    Young Horsetail
    Diddy Kong
    SmashShadow
    AltaisReila
    Really Shy Guy
    Kevandre
    Koopaul
    skaaaa
    PolarisJunkie
    TheMysterious2634
    pikachugamer21
    GmanSir
    SeatreasureReturned
    New_Dumal
    Princess Toady
    Vickand
    smashkirby
    ihskeyp
    a Link to the Forums
    Lizardon
    BirthNote
    DukeNapoleon
    FalKoopa
    Bebe Mignon
    TCRhade
    Skyfox2000
    SpaceJell0
    Jave
    WeirdChillFever
    Oracle_Summon

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014 at 2:21 AM
  2. Shorts

Shorts I'm gonna kill you <3

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3136-6583-3704
    Yesss, I was waiting for this thread to sprout up. Dixie Kong is definitely one of the characters I really want to see playable. She doesn't have too much standing in her way either, which is nice.

:phone:
    Chzrm3 likes this.
  3. Claire Diviner

Claire Diviner Oerba Dia Diviner

The vine lasso seems to be a bit weird. I would've imagined more of a hair whip, but I guess that's what her Forward Smash is for. Otherwise, I agree with the moveset, though one thing I don't understand is why she's put into a helpless state when attacked out of her Hair A'copter, as it would mean she could potentially be gimped to hell if facing a character with a great aerial game, like Meta Knight, who can Shuttle Loop her, knocking her far away from the stage, and there's nothing Dixie can do to get back on, seeing as she's helpless and can't use any B moves, including her Hair A'copter to try and recover again.
  4. MasterWarlord

MasterWarlord Smash Champion

Dixie unfortunately has to compete with the likes of K. Rool. Roster space is quite competetive - we could potentially get a roster of only 45, and it's 50 at best. We won't be getting 4 DK reps.

Dixie has been irrelevant since her titular game - in DK64, she was replaced by a clone of herself. Dixie can't turn small, you say? Well, I don't recall DK being able to become invincible in the past either. . .After DKC3, all Dixie was ever in was spin-offs, while K. Rool remained as the main villain in every major title (He has a better track record than either DK or Diddy). Yes, he wasn't in the likes of Jungle Beat or DKCR, but nor was anyone else, unless we're going to start arguing for Tiki Tong as playable.

K. Rool has more moveset potential than just about anyone (Not to insult your moveset, it's actually one of the better ones I've seen on here), and fan demand is consistently much higher for him than Dixie.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13983124&postcount=577

The main argument Dixie Kong has is that she was in the forbidden 7 and thus Sakurai considered her at some point. However, she was considered as part of a tag-team with Diddy Kong.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12889473&postcount=1

Dixie Kong was never intended to be her own character. She was intended to be a Nana to Diddy Kong (And yes, Nana does have her own data in the files). Dixie Kong is not notable/important enough to warrant her own character slot, and Diddy Kong's moveset is pretty rock solid with the addition of Bananas for the Down Special.
    Cobalsh likes this.
  5. Young Horsetail

Young Horsetail Smash Hero

3DS Friend Code:
    2793-0906-0731
    Yes, this girl right here is one of the most biggest expectations to be in Sm4sh. DKC3 was my first game and boy, that game was just FANTASTIC.nnot to mention it feels so home due it's Scandinavia-like world: I live in Finland, so.

Anyway, I wish she's as accessible as Diddy was, and fun to use too. So gonna feel home with her if she's confirmed playable.
    Chzrm3 likes this.
  6. Shorts

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3136-6583-3704
    We won't be getting four DK reps, fine. My money is on Dixie, you know, the character Sakurai showed interst in?

Also, I can definitely see us getting four Donkey Kong characters.
    Chzrm3 likes this.
  7. MasterWarlord

MasterWarlord Smash Champion

Interest indeed.
  8. yani

yani Smash Lord

/facepalm

Dixie Kong had two of her own games, and is the third main hero of the DKC games, which Sakurai seems to love. Lots of ignorance in your post sir.
  9. Xenoblaze

Xenoblaze Maximum Heat

• Premium
    To be fair, Dixie was only the star character in Donkey Kong Country 3 because she was a break out character, in a similar vein to Diddy Kong in Donkey Kong Country 2. Obviously the popularity wasn't as strong as Diddy Kong, hence why she simply appears in some spin off games nowadays.
  10. Teege

Teege Smash Rookie

I would drop Oli in a heartbeat for Dixie. Okay, maybe not. But I would use both of them regularly for sure. I can see it now. Gliding across the screen and ending everyone with her glorious ponytail.
    [​IMG]
  11. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    Doodled this up some time ago:

[​IMG]

I think she could only be a fourth DK character, and she doesn't really excite me all that much, but I'd welcome her inclusion.
  12. RomanceDawn

RomanceDawn Smash Ace

Nintendo Network ID:
    Romancedawn
    I whole heartedly expect Dixie. Starring in 2 of the 3 games that set the direction of future DK titles and with known interest by Sakurai? Yeah her chances are extremely high.

Looking forward to all the zany hair moves she would undoubtedly have in place of fists or weapons.

13. Jakor

Jakor Smash Journeyman

Dixie Kong should be in SSB4 alongside K. Rool. She was playable in two DK games. For those who say we won't get 4 DK characters, you must be reminded that the DK series is the fourth or fifth most popular Nintendo franchise. And if the Kirby series got two new reps in Brawl, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for the DK series. If a franchise like Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kirby gets four characters in SSB4, then there is no reason for the DK series not to also get a 4th rep.
  14. Shorts

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3136-6583-3704

Dixie Kong moveset I made a while back. Completely "Canon"

^B Hair-copter: On the ground it works similar to Ice Climber’s spin attack, only lasts a little longer, and moves quicker. It is however, slightly weaker as well. In air the move is a useful gliding tool.

B Chewing Gum: Hold down B, and Dixie will begin to blow a bubble. The longer you hold it, the bigger the bubble gets, but if you hold it too long it will EXPLODE in your face and cause you damage. When you release it it slowly floats across the stage, acting as a moving bomb, one touch and BOOM! You can use it’s slow moving properties to your advantage and aim to knock your opponent into it, if you’re cool.

B> Hair Grab: Dixie whips her Ponytail forward for an extra long reaching grab. If the opponent is too close to you however, it will simply act as a normal attack, and just hit them. So it can be used as a hair slap, or a hair grab. YOU DECIDE!

VB Barrel throw: Dixie puts her long blonde ponytail to work, and throws a barrel forward. Depending on how long you charge B, you could get a wooden barrel (Just rolls normally) a metal barrel (Bounces, but moves slower), or a TNT Barrel (Explodes when it comes in contact with something/someone, but moves the slowest)
  15. Venus of the Desert Bloom

Venus of the Desert Bloom The answer to your question....was yes.

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

But it is entirely in the realm of possibility to get two extra characters in a popular franchise. Especially since Donkey Kong is a popular, relevant, and successful franchise with numerous spin-offs.

So what about Falco, Wolf, R.O.B., Jigglypuff, Mr. Game and Watch, or Ice Climbers.. I wouldn't consider all those characters extremely relevant. Ice Climbers was added in order to add a classic character as was Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. Falco and Wolf are side characters in Star Fox, a relatively dead series with no original games (excluding Star Fox 64 3D), and Jiggly isn't even a Pokemon mascot.

I would place Dixie Kong is the same spot as the likes of Peach, Zelda, Meta Knight, Lucario, etc. Oh, save for the fact she had her own game and continues to appear in Donkey Kong games as well as spin-off games. In addition, considering the success of the newest installment in the Donkey Kong series for the Wii, I wouldn't be surprised if they released Donkey Kong Country 2 with features both Diddy and Dixie.

None taken but I think many other characters have a much more potential move set (Saki, isaac, Palutena, etc) than King K. Rool. I understand many might think Dixie could be a Luigified clone of Dixie but, with the team Sakurai has assembled, this shouldn't be a huge problem.

Yes, Sakurai chose to separate the two which ended up Diddy being a top tier character. The same can go for Dixie.

She also has a potential move set, considered a heroine for the series, unique play style, a big fan base, relevant within both Donkey Kong and Mario, and had her own series which could have a reboot in the near future if they decide to continue with Donkey Kong Country 2.

It was removed because of difficulties, not because Sakurai thought Dixie would be a bad character.

Nor was Diddy but he did perfectly fine.

And Dixie could be rock solid too if you gave her the chance.

Shortie, can I add your moveset to the front post?

If you support, Dixie, please help support this thread by adding information, ideas, move sets, arguments/counter-arguments, and pictures! Just PM me what you want added :)

Oasis, can I add this to the front post?
  16. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    Go ahead. :3

My only complaint about Dixie is that she's another monkey (don't get technical with me). I just think that would LOOK BAD if she was the only newcomer for DK. Sakurai has a habit of making similar characters similar, so I think it's safe to say she's bound to be SIMILAR to Diddy. Which I think is appropriate to an extent. BUT ALSO REALLY BORING IF SHE'S THE ONLY NEWCOMER FOR DK. Even so, she would definitely have enough to set herself apart from her boyfriend.

Also I would expect her to be unlockable. Both her and Diddy on the starter screen together would look bad BECAUSE OF AFOREMENTIONED REASONS.
  17. Shorts

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3136-6583-3704
    Sure you can use my moveset, and I really like Dixie, so add me :3

18. Venus of the Desert Bloom

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

Thanks guys. I uploaded it to the first post!

Honestly, I would expect King K. Rool before Dixie but we can never know what Sakurai will do. That being said, I still think that Dixie Kong has the second best chance to be included.

I found this and felt like putting it up.

[​IMG]
  19. Arcadenik

Arcadenik Smash Hero

Dixie Kong! I loved DKC2 and DKC3. If Dixie Kong is in Smash, I would accept her either as a solo character, or teamed with Diddy Kong, or even teamed with Kiddy Kong.
  20. MelMoe

MelMoe Smash Journeyman

Dixie Kong Moveset

I made my moveset with a Diddy & Dixie King team in mind. The team will NOT act like the Ice Climbers. The uncontrolled partner will follow closely behind the leader in the shadows without attacking or taking any damage. That partner will also not use their recovery move to save themselves, instead they will go into a falling animation & will still stay very close to the player; hovering by them. When the leader loses a stock, the partner will jump into a barrel & disappear in a cloud of smoke like a reverse entrance. Partners are switched by a taunt.

21. BKupa666

BKupa666 Moderator

Ordering you to SEIZE the Coconut, you lunkhead!
    The bottom right palette swap in the above post is from the Donkey Kong Country cartoon. I approve.
  22. MelMoe

MelMoe Smash Journeyman

Yay glad u noticed
    [​IMG]

skaaaa likes this.
  23. SmashChu

SmashChu Smash Master

There's that WORD again!

So far, Sakurai does not care about reps. The only series he really tries to cap are the big ones and that's to keep them in line with the smaller ones. It's also not the first time we've seen a series get two characters (every Smash game has done it in fact).
  24. Bowserlick

Bowserlick Smash Master

Dixie might have a better chance than K. Rool (although I would prefer a schizophrenic, bi-polar crocodile to another chimp) for two reasons.

1. Data found for her character as playable in Brawl. Yes, only has a tag team partner... however, this leads to point number two.

2. Easier to include her. Lucas had the model of Ness and similar specials. Same with Wolf and Fox. Dixie can have different A attacks, but similar specials. Also, her model would be very similar to Diddy's.

25. Venus of the Desert Bloom

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

Meimoe, do you mind me putting your move set and palette swap on the front page?

I know one argument against Dixie is that Dixie and Diddy were originally meant to be a tag team type character but, instead, Diddy was made as a separate character. This was due to technical issues. However, from this decision, Diddy became a top tier character. I figure if they could do the same for Diddy, they can do the same for Dixie :/
  26. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy

Mario_and_Sonic_Guy Cosmic Beauty

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    5327-1637-5096
    Nintendo Network ID:
    TPitch5
    I'd like it if Dixie Kong is able to make it in, along with King K. Rool.

In terms of the Diddy/Dixie duo, I think that it's better that the two are separate from each other; they don't exactly operate in the same way after all.
  27. Venus of the Desert Bloom

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

I agree. I think it is very feasible to receive two Donkey Kong characters. It is a big enough franchise with a deep history with Nintendo.

So I'd like to make a an official Dixie Kong move set where all the supporters (those listed under "members") help create. I propose people post full move set or a a Specials-only Move set or a Move Set without specials.

We then decide which moves to take from those posted move sets to create a very detailed and professional move set that the members put together.

Is anyone interested?
  28. MelMoe

MelMoe Smash Journeyman

Not at all :D

Also, it's MelMoe not MeiMoe

I too think that both Dixie & King K. Rool should be playable. If only one makes it in this game then it is obvious the other will be requested for the next. With DK, Diddy, Dixie, & K. Rool, I think the Donkey Kong series will have its 4 stars.
    If Dixie does become a partner for Diddy, I really hope they keep his moveset intact; definitely his banana. I actually like the idea of a true tag-team & that it represents the DKC games; but she can stand on her own as well.

29. umegames

umegames Smash Cadet

I for sure support Dixie, i really thought she would show up in brawl along diddy, but o well. Based on dkc returns, i dont think the kremlings are usable in away because of RARE, so dixie should pan out fine for a roster spot.
  30. Venus of the Desert Bloom

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

I updated the front post, Melmoe. Feel free to check to see if everything is accurate!

I mentioned it yesterday but is anyone interested in putting together a collaborative move set for Dixie based on input from all the members in this support thread? If so, let me know!
  31. MelMoe

MelMoe Smash Journeyman

Everything looks in order.

Shouldn't we wait for more members & movesets?

32. Johnknight1

Johnknight1 Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    3540-0575-1486
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Johnknight
    Agreed. Hell would have to freeze over for Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong to be cut. And a Diddy/Dixie duo would take away from both characters, as well as be broken.

There is no reason both Diddy Kong and K. Rool can't be playable. Both character can add a lot to smash, are popular, unique, and both can have play styles we haven't seen in smash before. Above all, both Dixie Kong and K. Rool would make make people want to play this game (assuming they're done right, which by the way, would be hard not to do).
  33. Venus of the Desert Bloom

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

Yeah but in the mean time, we can start brain storming so we can make a good move set!
  34. MelMoe

MelMoe Smash Journeyman

Ok, where should we start?

Oh & can u add my note in the beginning from my moveset post? So that it explains how a Diddy & Dixie team won't be like Popo & Nana. Thanx.

35. Haxeye

Haxeye Smash Cadet

Dixie would be a great and long overdue addition to the roster, but I think she'd benefit from a partnership/tag-team, but im in full agreement that her partner shouldn't be Diddy but instead should be Kiddy Kong.
  36. Jeffbelittle

Jeffbelittle Smash Apprentice

You haven't been to Japan
  37. Venus of the Desert Bloom

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

I think as of right now, we should start looking at the posted move sets on the front page and picking which moves we think are best or most interesting.
  38. MelMoe

MelMoe Smash Journeyman

Ok. Well her up b will obviously be some variation of her ponytail copter move.

I hated how I couldn't think of anything for her b move other than Tiny Kong's feather bow. I like ur Vine Lasso idea & could definitely see her using it. The Orange Grenade move would also be a nice .

39. fogbadge

fogbadge Smash Lord

im in full support of dixie being in the next smash
  40. Venus of the Desert Bloom

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

Jiggly isn't actually all that popular anymore in Japan. It's only popularity stems off from the anime, Smash, and as a first generation. Most Japanese kids don't even know who Jiggly is anymore. Pokemon such as Zorua, Victini, that Chichilla Pokemon, Blitzle, Emonga, Pachirisu, the desert Croc, and Candeluure (i think that is it's name) are becoming increasingly popular.

Jiggly may be more popular with old school players but the newer players recognize the newer pokemon over older pokemon.

Melmoe, I really liked your move set.