• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Lol like I said not making any promises but here is my Smishified attempt aka #FAIL work in progress >__>
I'm not skilled enough for 3D renders yet this is my 1st time attempting anything like this but i'm going to go ahead and finish this because I started. *sigh* I'll get better one day.
I messaged someone to see if they could tell me the brush settings they use for fur waiting on a reply back. Hopefully they are willing to give me a few pointers.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Lol like I said not making any promises but here is my Smishified attempt aka #FAIL work in progress >__>
I'm not skilled enough for 3D renders yet this is my 1st time attempting anything like this but i'm going to go ahead and finish this because I started. *sigh* I'll get better one day.
I messaged someone to see if they could tell me the brush settings they use for fur waiting on a reply back. Hopefully they are willing to give me a few pointers.
That looks pretty good so far, love the pose too!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm liking it. Just make sure her fur is close to DK and Diddy's for that accuracy

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I'm liking it. Just make sure her fur is close to DK and Diddy's for that accuracy
Yeah that's the current issue here. I have spent 5 + hours trying to find the correct brush settings for the fur with no luck. =(
I'm hoping the banjo render guy will message me back with a screen shot of his fur brush (more than likely an altered custom pen tool) settings I know we both use paint tool sai. I'm basically trying to emulate this...

I just can't seem to get the damn fur right. If he dosen't get back to me I might have to pull it into to photoshop and use a pre made fur brush but it won't have that authentic look the smash renders have tho. Also I'd like to know how to render it myself. I'm just a bit confused because I'm not sure how he gets the brush to start flat and end pointed or if there a particular density or if he leaves the density to pen pressure.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm gonna be honest and say it looks great anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it turning out absolutely perfectly on your first attempt. Considering this is new territory for you and you're still learning the process, it's shaping up really nicely. And if that's the WIP - well, I think the final piece will be quite impressive indeed.

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
It seems it will be impressive, but current Dixie design no longer used knee pads

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This is actually off to a great start! I'm liking the pose, and if I could make a suggestion, maybe the base of the ponytail can be altered to look like it's coming out the back of her head rather than the top. Also the knee pads are a great touch--I should start drawing her with those too now that I think about it...

If you ever complete it I'd love to see the final result!

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
It seems it will be impressive, but current Dixie design no longer used knee pads
Yeah I am not too sure why they removed them to start with. I always liked that in her original design. I might need to start a campaign to tell Nintendo to bring back her knee pads. lol

This is actually off to a great start! I'm liking the pose, and if I could make a suggestion, maybe the base of the ponytail can be altered to look like it's coming out the back of her head rather than the top. Also the knee pads are a great touch--I should start drawing her with those too now that I think about it...

If you ever complete it I'd love to see the final result!
Yeah I noticed that too. After I got done with the sketch I was like "well I guess she cut a hole in her hat" lol Will definitely be fixed!

Still practicing fur btw. It is definitely the hardest part.

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
I've been tweeting that move set to some pro / notable smash bros players, maybe if more of us try that we'll get some retweets! So far Jtails responded, which is pretty cool when you consider 99% of their followers are smash bros players

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
I do not I care with or without Kneepads, I just want to be able to play with Dixie Kong in Smash Bros :(, although seeing that K.Rool is the No.1 votes have little hope that Sakurai pick before Dixie,I think that again I'm making me illusions by Dixie for nothing,
God grant that I'm wrong and this time if you get to my Dixie

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I do not I care with or without Kneepads, I just want to be able to play with Dixie Kong in Smash Bros :(, although seeing that K.Rool is the No.1 votes have little hope that Sakurai pick before Dixie,I think that again I'm making me illusions by Dixie for nothing,

I feel like K. Rool has a major pull with fan base but Dixie has an edge of being in modern DK games, she was insanely popular where she stated in her own DKC game rescuing Donkey and Diddy.

Plus easy to work with for not having to make new model

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
I feel like K. Rool has a major pull with fan base but Dixie has an edge of being in modern DK games, she was insanely popular where she stated in her own DKC game rescuing Donkey and Diddy.

You're right, luckily Dixie also has its advantages, I just worry that is so brutally K.Rool popular as this surely the first 5 but the first

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Yeah I am thinking we are going to get more than one character off the ballot. My biggest hope is that we get a most requested female and male fighter. Or since K Rool is # 1 most wanted I hoping if we can rally Dixie hard enough she can be #2 overall. Just to show Sakurai that it should not be an either or type of situation. To be completely honest I'm not sure why we aren't campaigning to get BOTH in together.

According to this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/rate-their-chances-the-dlc-edition-day-31-ryu.398604/

If you take all the vets out Dixie is 4th most wanted newcomer (and if you want to believe what Sakurai said about not adding ridley because he is too big then technically Dixie is # 3 if we assume ridley has no chance) but still #1 most wanted female newcomer. Hopefully that holds true in the actual votes that Nintendo is receiving.

As far as K rool having a major pull on the fan base goes...(Probably going to get a lot of backlash for this but here we go...*prepares bullet proof vest*)
K Rool got a running head start. If I recall correctly the Kampaign originally started as "bring back K rool as a main baddie in the DK games" so naturally when the smash ballot was announced they kinda tacked that on with the original cause meaning that the smash cause got ALOT of supporters grandfathered in with it from the original cause.

I personally think it's ******** that they picked one character and decided to run with it. As soon as the smash ballot was started I think it should have been #DK DOUBLE tacked onto it to show Sakurai how bias he is toward the DK series as a whole. While not intentional that's pretty much how the divide in the DK fan base for DK smash reps started.

I would have supported #DK DOUBLE 150% but since it is clearly divided I will side with Dixie because she doesn't have as much support. The sad thing is that most people want BOTH and until Sakurai announces that we for sure will get multiple picks off the ballot I don't think the fan base will ever be unified for the smash cause.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There is no divide. There is no "us and them".

K. Rool fans are not the enemy. We are not trying to deny Dixie fans the right to support Dixie or for her to appear in the game.

Please stop promoting such falsehoods, it makes the entire community look bad.

StormC

Smash Hero
Seeing how Nintendo is instructing us to vote for only one character per person... what else are we supposed to do but side with the character we prefer? This is silly.

Also, the Kremling Kampaign has ALWAYS included Smash in its mission.

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer

K. Rool fans are not the enemy. We are not trying to deny Dixie fans the right to support Dixie or for her to appear in the game.

Awww crap...Yeah i knew i was gonna word that wrong somehow. Now ill at least attempt to clarify what i was trying to say. Totally not saying anyone is the enemy here. There are no "bad guys" here And im sorry if thats how that came across.

And I never said anyone was trying to prevent her from getting in game. im just saying id like to see more dual support. I personally voted both. Even tho I feel like k rool will get in over dixie (even tho I prefer her more) I still voted to support the series as a whole.

And the devide I was referring to is not knowing how many characters will be picked off the ballot so most/least support. So of course most people will pick 1. I was not lumping the fan base all into 1. I just get so tired of seeing the 2 sides bicker. Dixie fans "k rool is fat and ugly and not relevant no vote for him" or k rool side "the dk rep thst would not be a clone"

Im just saying we would see more dual support/unity if Sakurai would just tell us how many ballot picks we will truly get.

Seeing how Nintendo is instructing us to vote for only one character per person... what else are we supposed to do but side with the character we prefer? This is silly.

Also, the Kremling Kampaign has ALWAYS included Smash in its mission.

Also thanks for the clarification. I was ither on gamefaqs or 4chan I cannot remember which one. A user was talking about the origins of the kampaign and they said it didnt include smash from the start. I definitely stand corrected.

So just to be clear I was not trying to promote falsehood.

Last edited:

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
I just want to Dixie Kong is one of the characters that are added by DLC (I think it will be the chosen one) I do not care if you also include K.Rool or who want, while Dixie is also one of those characters DLC, I do not care about the rest, I already would be happy

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
K. Rool vs Dixie debates never turn out well in this thread, especially since there are plenty of people that frequently post here and support both (myself included; I've even helped out a little with the Kampaign). I think that we should make our best efforts to keep the discussion from going there. Additionally, because there are plenty of K. Rool fans among us, I think we should avoid language that implies an "us and them" dichotomy between K. Rool and Dixie fans, or language that generalizes the K. Rool fanbase as a whole. This will get us nowhere and will cause this thread to devolve into bickering.

This is not directed at you, VT, since you clarified your position, but I wanted to post this as a reminder to everyone to keep the discussion pleasant. You all have done amazing work in the past month, and I think we all want our sense of unity to continue.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Exactly. What is this? The Pre-Brawl speculation era? King K.Rool and Dixie can both make it in, easily. In fact, DKC is the only series that's even remotely likely to get two characters added as DLC. Yes, I know I said the same thing about the vanilla roster, but with DLC being a thing in general, and us getting the likes of Ryu and Roy who is to say Sakurai won't be picking out characters himself to add? I think Dixie has just about the best chances of any character at this point.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Sorry this is taking so long. I work about 30 hours a week at my normal job and I run a mini graphic design/illustration business on the side and SUDDENLY I have been bombarded with lots of inquires out of nowhere for some reason... Need to take care of those.
But here is how far I got. Will finish when i get more time.

Last edited:
Sorry this is taking so long. I work about 30 hours a week at my normal job and I run a mini graphic design/illustration business on the side and SUDDENLY I have been bombarded with lots of inquires out of nowhere for some reason... Need to take care of those.
But here is how far I got. Will finish when i get more time.
Well it's already fantastic. I love it and will later love it more. Well done so far.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Greetings Dixie thread ^.^/

Just wanted to stop by to say that you all have my support! I'm a BIG K. Rool fan and a proud Kuttthroat I spend most of my time on the Rool thread however after playing DKC2 today (my all time favorite DKC title) I thought to myself why haven't I stopped by the Dixie thread yet.....I just wanted to come by and say I support Dixie right next to K. Rool because im a DK fan at heart and greedily want both in. Also I wouldn't fret I'm 90% sure she's pre planned DLC so we'll see her regardless of the ballot. I just hope that we DK fans can band together and work towards two phenomenal characters getting into Smash. :)

Last edited:

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus

Just wanted to stop by to say that you all have my support! I'm a BIG K. Rool fan and a proud Kuttthroat I spend most of my time on the Rool thread however after playing DKC2 today (my all time favorite DKC title) I thought to myself why haven't I stopped by the Dixie thread yet.....I just wanted to come by and say I support Dixie right next to K. Rool because im a DK fan at heart and greedily want both in. Also I wouldn't fret I'm 90% sure she's pre planned DLC so we'll see her regardless of the ballot. I just hope that we DK fans can band together and work towards two phenomenal characters getting into Smash. :)
Welcome! Most dixie supporters want k rool as well, I don't see any reason the DK series shouldn't get both. They are two of the most eligible candidates in my opinion.

As for the 90% thing, I hope you're right!

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011

Welcome! I would not mind seeing K.Rool also provided not forget to also put Dixie Kong, I hope you're right about 90% but I do not think so, there are many characters that are more popular than Dixie unfortunately, why not you forget to vote for Dixie also to ensure that this, hopefully both could be, Dixie and K.Rool :)

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I'm already looking forward to see it finished :D
^_^ Thanks! Will finish as soon as I possibly can with any spare time I run across.

Well it's already fantastic. I love it and will later love it more. Well done so far.
Yeah I can't wait to finish. Just gotta find the time.

THIS! That's what im talking about! =D You sir have bought tears to my eyes! Thank you so much ;___;
oh and :yoshi2: = <3

And guys on another note there is the GAAM (Game arts and Music) show happening in my town and I got invited to the charity art auction! The last time I was in it I did this piece. It's a 12 x 30 inch canvas print called Yoshi's Island the Manga.
This time I'm repping #DK double for smash and painting a Dixie vs K Rool DKC2 final battle piece (maybe manga inspired like this one) to show off at this years show! Just a heads up so if I disappear from the boards sometime next month that's what I'm working on.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Thing is yea Dixie isn't AS popular as some choices but don't forget she was one of the forbidden 7 so Sakurai already had at one time planned on her inclusion. Over at the K. Rool thread were always talking about the lack of DK content in Smash 4 but honestly maybe the lack of content is purposeful because the DK content was planned for a later time. She may have been a "low priority" character in Sakurais eyes and so he waited to push her as DLC don't forget there's those 5 DLC spots that were uncovered and I doubt that's considering the Ballot.

Roy
Ryu
Wolf
Lucas
Dixie

That's my thoughts. K. Rool comes from the ballots (HOPEFULLY!!) and probably 1 or 2 more ballot characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like the five slots are Lucas/Roy/Ryu and two ballot characters, one of which will probably be Wolf.

I'm personally not optimistic we'll get more than six DLC characters overall, but who knows.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Thing is they added slots when Mewtwo went in so who's to say they can't add more you know? DLC is still very much a mystery at this point. I don't think we will get many characters with new original movesets but semi clones/clones I can see quite a bit of. Dixie in my mind would be a Diddy semi clone and would have a good chance of being easy to develop.

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
Dixie never really was 7 prohibited, these data were Brawl Dixie when Sakurai wanted to put the team with Diddy, after the idea was discarded, Sakurai had no further interest in Dixie :(, so we get many votes for her, to prove to Sakurai that we want in the game, but unfortunately not find many people who vote for it, only by other characters or K.Rool and I hope I'm wrong but I think we will see only K.Rool concerning Donkey Kong characters by DLC, I would be glad for fans K.Rool but I will not be satisfied until I get to Dixie Kong and I doubt she would clone Diddy, she does not use Jet Pack or struggle with her hands, she would fight with her hair

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To be fair, I think the only reason Sakurai had no interest in Dixie was because, at that point, she hadn't done much in years.

Now that Tropical Freeze has returned her to the fore as a main character in her native series, there's no reason to jilt her.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Yo @ BirthNote BirthNote @ WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever how are the movesets coming along!? =D

W00T W00T! 3 day weekend coming up! Saterday im going to daytona for a smash tourney so that leaves Sunday and Monday for me to work on the Dixie render. Should be done sometime next week if all goes good.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yo @ BirthNote BirthNote @ WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever how are the movesets coming along!? =D

W00T W00T! 3 day weekend coming up! Saterday im going to daytona for a smash tourney so that leaves Sunday and Monday for me to work on the Dixie render. Should be done sometime next week if all goes good.
Eeeh, I kinda suck with drawing on my iPad, but I'll try to get back to paper and see if that works.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Glad you asked! I just got done celebrating my college graduation and now I'm working my way through Memorial Day Weekend...by celebrating some more! I've got some illustrations to show and they'll be ready very soon. :)

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Back from Daytona! I actually placed 2nd at the Smash tourney and won some prize money. W00T!
But back to art now! I have been hammering away at this. I'm done with the render... hmm i don't like some of the toes tho. might go back and redo those. It's a hybrid between her current and SNES look since I really liked her knee pads and pink nail polish from her original design. Now to figure out how to color the darn thing... I spent about 4 additional hours trying to figure out how to color from grey scale with no luck. Didn't like my results at all but I did find some other useful lookin' tutorials that I'll try out tomorrow! SOoooo happy that this is almost done. And by the way I also have a splash card already made too just gotta finish the pic up to slap it on.

Now to crash...
:tired::tired::tired::tired::tired:

Reds94

Smash Cadet
That looks awesome man! The fur is really great along with her hair and hat. Her mouth looks kind of odd at that angle though, sort of looks like a duck's bill because the tip under her eyes is a point rather than curving down with depth into her eyes, if that makes sense, hard to explain I hope you know what I mean. Her knot is also a bit weird since it's looking directly at the viewer while her torso is turned.

But other than those little thing it looks really great, awesome work! That's easily the best Dixie Smash fan art I've ever seen, it should be in the OP and the main image of the Dixie campaign.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Back from Daytona! I actually placed 2nd at the Smash tourney and won some prize money. W00T!
But back to art now! I have been hammering away at this. I'm done with the render... hmm i don't like some of the toes tho. might go back and redo those. It's a hybrid between her current and SNES look since I really liked her knee pads and pink nail polish from her original design. Now to figure out how to color the darn thing... I spent about 4 additional hours trying to figure out how to color from grey scale with no luck. Didn't like my results at all but I did find some other useful lookin' tutorials that I'll try out tomorrow! SOoooo happy that this is almost done. And by the way I also have a splash card already made too just gotta finish the pic up to slap it on.

Now to crash...
:tired::tired::tired::tired::tired:
I love it! :love: I agree with Reds about the shirt knot and the mouth, but this is amazing work, especially on the fur, hand, and the ponytail! Whenever you get around to finishing, I will definitely put it into the OP. Pictures like these will definitely help out in our cause. Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Also, congrats on placing 2nd at Daytona!

Last edited:
Top Bottom