• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
Sorry for dbl post but it's pretty quiet in here...
Anyways got a speedpaint/process vid done for the UP - B move I posted a while back!

In other news the facebook page is doing pretty well - 33 likes.
Our twitter is doing well too - 17 followers
And a small gathering on DA
small but a nice start! =) I need to start scouting tumblr next!
Also requesting that people post or message me with reasons why they like Dixie/why she should be in smash! I'm trying to do a quote page for the main web site!
I would say the reason that she should be in is that she's been one if the main protagonists to one of nintendo's biggest (and in smash most underrepresented) series since 1995. She wasn't some damsel in distress or afterthought, she was a bonified bad ass and starred in some of DKC's biggest titles. Before we start thinking about what indie characters we want to add we need to right the wrong of the last two games and add the most important kong to never be in smash bros.

How's that lol

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I would say the reason that she should be in is that she's been one if the main protagonists to one of nintendo's biggest (and in smash most underrepresented) series since 1995. She wasn't some damsel in distress or afterthought, she was a bonified bad *** and starred in some of DKC's biggest titles. Before we start thinking about what indie characters we want to add we need to right the wrong of the last two games and add the most important kong to never be in smash bros.

How's that lol
Love it! Love it! Let's keep this train moving so it can reach hype speed! Who's next don't be shy!

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I put my 2 cents in over there, I think it's important we show dixie support on other places than this post
You are right about that. Hmmm... that's something I need to do when I get back to my cpu. Typing on my phone on this forum is extremely hard to do. Very laggy for some reason.

Edit: Alright left my comments and even accidentally convinced somebody to reconsider their rating they gave her! lol

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I figure Dixie has a trump card over K. Rool. From looking at the game data we know there's data for Lucas, Roy and Ryu added with an additional two sets of placeholder data. The ballot is open until October and it stands to reason that these 6 characters (including Mewtwo) are wave one, mostly being safe choices like veterans. Problem is, what veterans are left? There's Wolf but apart from him the Ice Climbers have technical difficulties, Snake has legal difficulties, Young Link is basically replaced by Toon and the rest are Pokemon.

Then it hit me, there are more veterans, just ones that never got finished. The Brawl Data revealed that at one point they were working on Dr Mario, Roy and Mewtwo; all of which are gonna be in. Additonally there was Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik (maybe Tetra?) and dum-da-da-dah! Dixie Kong. Perhaps she could be in wave one as a "veteran" while K. Rool is in wave two as a fan pick.

I know I shouldn't reach so much but it seems to make sense to me.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I figure Dixie has a trump card over K. Rool. From looking at the game data we know there's data for Lucas, Roy and Ryu added with an additional two sets of placeholder data. The ballot is open until October and it stands to reason that these 6 characters (including Mewtwo) are wave one, mostly being safe choices like veterans. Problem is, what veterans are left? There's Wolf but apart from him the Ice Climbers have technical difficulties, Snake has legal difficulties, Young Link is basically replaced by Toon and the rest are Pokemon.

Then it hit me, there are more veterans, just ones that never got finished. The Brawl Data revealed that at one point they were working on Dr Mario, Roy and Mewtwo; all of which are gonna be in. Additonally there was Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik (maybe Tetra?) and dum-da-da-dah! Dixie Kong. Perhaps she could be in wave one as a "veteran" while K. Rool is in wave two as a fan pick.

I know I shouldn't reach so much but it seems to make sense to me.
I think Dixie has a decent shot, Wasn't she leaked to have a moving model in the game a while ago or something? I really can't remember. Plus if we have dixie now, we can get K Rool later and then everyone is happy. Plus she could be a semi-clone too so she's got that going for her

EDIT: I just realized you already mentioned K Rool, I guess that's what I get for not reading things properly

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Dixie has a decent shot, Wasn't she leaked to have a moving model in the game a while ago or something? I really can't remember. Plus if we have dixie now, we can get K Rool later and then everyone is happy. Plus she could be a semi-clone too so she's got that going for her

EDIT: I just realized you already mentioned K Rool, I guess that's what I get for not reading things properly
First I head of a moving model for Dixie but that does help her case. Can you remember where you heard that?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
First I head of a moving model for Dixie but that does help her case. Can you remember where you heard that?
A Dutch gaming journalist SpainKiller said this:
"**** it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey
It later turned out Ridley was a Stage Hazard and thus moving models came into play.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Made this image:

This is currently everywhere the campaign is taking place. I still need to get a tumblr up.

If everyone could make a twitter account if you haven't done so already and retweet this to
DK vine
Reto
Playtonic

That would be great because a lot of support for KKR and Banjo is coming from Retro and them.

Also Same thing on Facebook! I seen a banjo moveset with like almost 1000 likes just because Playtonic posted it to their page. We really need this type of backing. So if everyone could make a facebook if you don't have one already and message and post this to them so they can see this is an actual thing that would be very helpful. Can't do it on my own. I'm sure they would be willing to listen to multiple people as opposed to just a few. C'Mon teamwork people! Teamwork! I know we can do it!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Made this image:

This is currently everywhere the campaign is taking place. I still need to get a tumblr up.

If everyone could make a twitter account if you haven't done so already and retweet this to
DK vine
Reto
Playtonic

That would be great because a lot of support for KKR and Banjo is coming from Retro and them.

Also Same thing on Facebook! I seen a banjo moveset with like almost 1000 likes just because Playtonic posted it to their page. We really need this type of backing. So if everyone could make a facebook if you don't have one already and message and post this to them so they can see this is an actual thing that would be very helpful. Can't do it on my own. I'm sure they would be willing to listen to multiple people as opposed to just a few. C'Mon teamwork people! Teamwork! I know we can do it!
Did it fro the twitter page, now we need to post it to facebook. We really need to try and get Playtonic's attention though, maybe retro studios too

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Yooooooo! We just got DK vine's support! They messaged me back on Facebook! Now to get Playtonic and Retro's attention Fo Sho. lol! *super excited*

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
They tweeted us too! We're getting somewhere!
Exactly! We just gotta stay strong and be persistent! I honestly see Dixie having a shot like I pointed out in my "rate their chances" post! We just gotta get the backing and keep putting out more content to show people the awesome character she can truly be.

This user hit the nail straight on the head in that thread and is thinking along the same exact lines as I am.

Then the Smash Ballot became a thing...and with it came some kompetition. Now that the fanbase can nominate characters, most of the DK fans are pushing for K. Rool and leaving Dixie by the wayside. In the unofficial polls, Dixie shows up outside the Top 10 as often as she does inside it, and sometimes doesn't even break the Top 15. While it doesn't make her less worthy of a character, the way K. Rool has stolen her thunder could keep her from getting enough votes to be considered...especially by those who think only one new character per series can get in. Further hurting her support is how there are fans who assume she'd be a Diddy clone, and disinterested in more clones, pass up on her. It's hurting her fan support even though she'd arguably more less sense as a clone than as a fully unique character.

For her to have a better chance, though, her support base needs to do something about the false assumptions holding her back...
So we need to start doing that. We have to keep focusing on the positives until more people hop aboard! So we need to keep scouting people from all over if you go anywhere and see someone have some type of interest in Dixie direct them to this campaign! We need all the help we can get. I feel we are off to an excellent start!

Reds94

Smash Cadet
Just created an account to say keep up the great work people. Dixie and Mega Man were my top choices for Smash 4 and her still not being in is just absurd. I also made a thing. I always loved how DK and Diddy had their second player colors, it would be cool if Dixie had hers.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Just created an account to say keep up the great work people. Dixie and Mega Man were my top choices for Smash 4 and her still not being in is just absurd. I also made a thing. I always loved how DK and Diddy had their second player colors, it would be cool if Dixie had hers.

OOooo! That blue and black one tho! That'd be my pick! Awesome pallet swaps! Thanks for the encouraging words too and welcome to Smashboards! =D

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I like the grey and green one with the platinum blonde hair, it looks adorable. The black haired one too, although I'd prefer the black to be a little darker

These look fantastic though!

Last edited:

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982

I love these, especially the green one. Red haired Dixie is adorable too. Nice job!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

I personally like the Blue one with the Black Hair. Since SSB4 has room for 8 palettes by default, what should the next 3 be?

Also, welcome to Smash Boards and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

Reds94

Smash Cadet
I was thinking the next 3 colors would be a white or black palette along with a few patterns like Ness' new costumes, perhaps one based off of Tiny Kong or Kiddy Kong, reference other characters in the franchise. And thanks everyone, glad you liked the recolors. Here's hoping Dixie makes it in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Awesome work, @ Reds94 Reds94 . And welcome to the site! :)

I'm dead sure I had heard of NeoGAF leak around the time of the ESRB leak. It had got my hopes up, which were crushed when the final roster was revealed. I don't believe it.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I personally like the Blue one with the Black Hair. Since SSB4 has room for 8 palettes by default, what should the next 3 be?

Also, welcome to Smash Boards and I hope you enjoy your stay.
I'd like if they were based of the DK Jungle climber recolours. Pink hair and yellow shirt, green shirt with purple hair and red hair with a purple shirt

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850

First off, welcome Reds94, I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I do. And I love your palette choices for Dixie Kong, especially the blue hat/shirt and black hair one.

And second, I've been thinking, what if Dixie was planned to be a 4th or 5th DLC character in the first place?

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
First off, welcome Reds94, I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I do. And I love your palette choices for Dixie Kong, especially the blue hat/shirt and black hair one.

And second, I've been thinking, what if Dixie was planned to be a 4th or 5th DLC character in the first place?
That would be beyond cool if she was planed but I'm not easing up until I see some evidence. So far I don't trust Sakurai's track record with planed characters or else Dixie would have been in from the start. He loves throwing stuff on the back burner.

Stickerbush

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, decided to sign up to show my support and may'be offer some hope to folks thinking Dixie's chances are diminishing. I'd like to start out by stating some of my doubts i have about some of the more prominent competitors for dlc:

k rool-k rool is winning the popularity war, no doubt about that; but K rool is a very complex and difficult character to animate. You'd definitely have to modify the model significantly (or put in a tremendous amount of effort) from the traditional dkc era in order to avoid serious clipping issues with his over sized belly. He 's a huge fighter with a strange mix of early pixar-like realism and grossly exaggerated proportions. I'm not saying it's not doable; Krool is #3 on my realistic wish list, but Sakurai almost certainly has a fraction of his former team working on dlc and krool may be cost prohibitive. DLC could be mostly populated by pseudo/semi clones (which definitely works in Dixie's favor) Additionally, the powers at be within Nintendo have never cared for k.rool and have a natural aversion to western character designs in general. Think about it, the only truly western-designed character in smash is diddy kong (you could argue dk too). If we consider the whole 'forbidden 7' thing that means dixie was one of the only other western character designs to ever be considered in smash and tropical freeze shows that they must have some appreciation for the character. Now I know opening the smash ballot to the whole world will help western character's chances (all of my picks are western) but let's not pretend for a second that it's a non-issue. If Sakurai were to overlook k.rool for some of these reasons I'm sure he wouldn't overlook dk fans entirely and may very well include Dixie as a consolation prize. In fact I would go so far as to say k. rool's votes may be our best chance of seeing Dixie in the game. I'm definitely not saying k.rool isn't happening, any character who wins the international ballot will be seriously considered, but I really do think it could go either way between those two.

inkling-very topical right now but I am seriously skeptical that they could be properly implemented. You can't add inklings without having them spray paint all over the stage and that seems impossible to me from a technical perspective. Tons of surfaces would have to be given entirely new properties to accommodate the paint mechanic: differing textures, animations, effects, etc... No smash character has ever had any ability that allows them to leave much of an impression on the actual smash stage itself. Picture 4 inklings spraying paint all over the place on the 3ds with 3d turned on... i'm not an expert in these things but do really think that will run anywhere near 60 fps?! Sakurai is a perfectionist and if he can't properly represent a character he won't add them (unless they turn inkling into a captain falcon clone :)). I'm sure inklings will make it into the next smash but if they couldn't get ice climbers working on the 3ds with years to figure it out they won't figure out inkling with a reduced staff in half a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Guys and Gals, with tilts out the way and only one aerial and smash left to propose, I'm gonna jump the gun and show an idea I've been holding for a while:

Down Throw: Springy Slam

As she clenches her opponent tightly, Dixie uses her hair as a balancing agent then leaps into the air with her victim and crashes into the ground--all while using her foe to cushion her own landing! I've combined elements of her Up Smash and Down Special to create this throw; it's not too fancy but it feels pretty sweet to do this to someone.

And here's the layout. The Sandbag has graciously agreed to be part of the demonstration--I'm so glad it's fine with being the throw victim for any hypothetical moves! So nice of it! Anyway, as you can see Dixie rolls back, launches, crashes down with the foe then happily jumps off them. They're unwillingly taken for a ride like how Kirby and Metaknight treat their opponents, but Dixie's trajectory isn't nearly as high as theirs. Also, I wasn't sure if the victim should be bounced opposite of Dixie as she jumps off or even if she'll jump forward or backward after, so I'll leave that to the imagination.
[Collapse=Forward Air: Kong Kicks]

Another practical attack for Dixie, her forward air has her do two kicks: right leg then left. Like the alternate down tilt idea the input yields 2 hits per use, and you can attack repeatedly with it to rack up damage. Enemies are knocked upwards and backwards slightly with each kick--enough to push them back by just a bit but not enough to keep foes from escaping another dose; time it right and you'll get much more than 2 hits from these strikes. The move's quick on its own and not KO-worthy, but with Dixie's airspeed being the best of the Kongs and a unique ability of her own, you can practically chase foes around using this move repeatedly and slowly descend to the ground.

While the attack isn't as spectacular as her Up and Down Air (coming soon) or as strong as her Back Air, it's great for aggressive approaches. She moves faster than DK and Diddy in the air and can stay off the ground longer than they ever could.

Dixie's Forward Air is a go-to move for horizontal momentum, while her Neutral is a quick way to push others back; her Up Air is deliberately meant to rack up damage and disrupt her own falling speed while it's being used, almost to the point of floating in mid air (which she technically can't do, but "gliding's" a different story). Her Back Air is strong and can kill once certain thresholds are crossed, and her Down Air...is perfect for..displacement..[/collapse]
[Collapse=Alternate Down Tilt: Swift Spank]

Based off Tropical Freeze. She kneels and leans forward, allowing her hair to strike twice in front of her with a relatively small range. It's quick, reliable and has a stinging quality, but the attack is always 2 strikes per input, which means if the hits don't connect Dixie could be vulnerable to a counterattack. As I wrote before, the moves quick so she's not in too much danger if she misses, right?

I came up with the Handstand Slam just before I saw Dixie do that hair-banging groundpound from DKC Tropical Freeze, and I gotta admit it looked cool so I drew up something based on it. I find it practical; it's swift and she leans low unlike in the other which she is more open to danger, but it's not as strong and looks similar to her Forward Tilt. Still, both ideas are good but I prefer the Slam over the Spank. As long as I get ideas circulating in others, every drawing I show will serve its purpose. So in this case, if I have more than 1 idea to show for the same attack then the more the merrier.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Smash: Jolt]

Dixie starts her Up Smash with a handstand pose. Her arms and hair stay bent on the ground to support herself and cushion her head, for balancing in that position can be painful.
The blood flows down as the attack charges, but she remains clear-headed and focused. And then...

ssSSSHWEEEEEemsh!!! She launches herself straight up to collide with foes and knock them higher! Her hair goes from a curled cushion to propel herself upward; as she does so she extends her legs in the hopes of impacting enemies with blunt force. She uses her hair merely for assistance, as this attack has her rely on her feet to deal the damage, and boy is it strong. The force she uses to blast upwards coupled with the overall trajectory makes this quite a jolt for her!
A near - strictly vertical attack from Dixie. The extended length of her ponytail matches the length of her body, and thus like many of her moves she's granted some good range. As she shoots upward her feet have incredible force; it's not as powerful as her Forward Smash, but it has quite a healthy bit of killing power. Also, due to the vertical nature of this move, it's most effective on those directly above her and the knockback is vertically oriented as well.
In regard to Smash attacks, Dixie's Forward relies mostly on her hair to deal damage; her Up reverses that "role" and her Down has no reliance on her hair. A nice dynamic IMO.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Down Tilt: Handstand Slam]

To pull off her Down Tilt, Dixie does a swift handstand and lets her hair fall forward to smash into the ground. Opponents hit by it will be bounced upwards with semi decent force if their % is at or near zero; the knockback (or more accurately knock-up) is good but the move's not KO worthy unless on really high percentages, though it's a nice and quick way to bounce opponents off.

Here's the attack layout. At Position 1 tthere's no attack, but the transition to P2 is something to be aware of, as the startup swing does negligible damage but may knock you forward if grounded or swung with slightly more force if aerial. In either case, if you get hit at this transition, you should be pushed just out of the reach of this DTilt, with minor damage if you're higher than 20%. If your % is lower than 20, you're likely to endure the full attack. At P2, Dixie's hair swings downward, so anything hit from this point on the way to P3 will nudged or forced underneath the hair. At P3, the hair makes contact with the ground and BAM! The attack has unfolded. Anything it immediately touches will be bounced upwards as the attack is complete, and those that were forced through the whole move will be slammed into the ground, bounced up and receive higher damage and knockback than those making contact at P3. P4 is simply Dixie returning to her neutral position.
The move is quick on the startup side but has just a touch of ending lag; about the speed of Diddy's Forward Tilt, and as the move bounces foes upward I liken it to a 1-directional shockwave with (surprise surprise) nice reach thanks to her hair. It's quick and strong but not a killing move, however you might be able to use it to set up her Up Tilt at the right percentages. Just think...Dtilt-> UTilt-> FTilt/FSmash. This is one of Dixie's "Get back!" moves. [/Collapse]
[Collapse=Back Air: Whiplash Whirl]

Here we have a hair-assisted whiplash attack. She curves her hair around her then immediately turns 180 degresss, extending her hair in the process to smack foes, much like her forward smash but reversed. She then turns back to her start position. A powerful move, no doubt, but not quite the fastest airborne attack of hers. It takes a split second to get to the part you see above (while most BAirs are practically instantaneous) and the ending lag's roughly the same, so you might wanna use this move preemptively if you're sure it'll hit, and when it does it pays off. Not quite as fast as other BAirs or Dixie's other aerials, but still a reliable speed with good power. It is her strongest aerial move, and if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit by one of Ike's aerials, you'll have a very solid idea of its KO potential.
Also, as it is a tad slower due to startup and ending lag, it would be tougher to use this move as much as others before you land. Dixie doesn't have to worry too much though, because she's got an ability to stay airborne for quite some time. It's an ability...that I'll detail later..[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Air: Simian Cyclone]
Up Air

While airborne, Dixie can use her hair for more than maneuvering. She can treat enemies above her to a violent display of her hair's spinning ability, in which her ponytail twists and throttles wildly; it jerks and whips in a dangerous fashion, abandoning the more graceful movements it's known for and embraces a feral nature. The ponytail lashes and contorts relentlessly in a strange circular form that resembles a tornado, and thus she's able to gain multiple hits while enemies are caught in this cyclone.
Dixie makes a sort of free falling pose to pull off the move. Her arms are stretched outward while her head dips so that her feet are the highest point of her body; this allows her ponytail enough room to swivel uncontrollably without smacking herself, and her body is poised to help her with her movement, for the turbulent nature of her Simian Cyclone slows her good air speed. Fortunately this move slows her falling speed considerably, as she is spinning her ponytail afterall.
Great for racking up damage and trapping enemies in a hairy cyclone, not much of a killing move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Smash: Whiplash Smash]

To begin her Forward Smash attack, Dixie coils her hair around herself and turns her back to her foes. As she charges the move her hair tightens and snakes around her body; she balances on one foot in preparation for what's to come, unaffected by her own constricted grip. The extent of the coil grows with each second while Dixie grows more determined to maintain her posture. The pressure mounts...and then finally...!

WHAAAOOOOoomsshh!! She makes a fierce spin and unravels her hair, slashing the space around her! While she turns, her ponytail extends to whip the air with immense might and smack anything it collides with HARD. The force behind this move is extreme and her strongest smash attack without a doubt, and you can even hear the wind crack while the move's used. She easily surpasses her boyfriend's strength and practically rivals DK's!
This is a high-powered move with amazing knockback and high killing power, so do your best to avoid it! This move is a stationary spin attack that, thanks to her hair, gives this kong an elliptical strike range with impressive reach, damage, knockback and KO potential. The move starts quickly but has a bit of ending lag, for a revolution that fiercely performed needs a moment to keep balance. The upside to this however is that Dixie's using her hair to attack, and thus has a bit of a backswing that foes should beware. The backswing isn't as deadly (far less tbh) or powerful but it still packs a punch, so rolling around Dixie or standing behind this attack will leave you with a nasty surprise.
Dixie's UpTilt is a good setup for this move.
I finally got to show a smash attack. The idea behind it is a powerful backhand move where hair is used instead of hand, and I think it works out nicely[/collapse]
[collapse=Neutral Air: Splitting Kong]

A nice whirling kick. She spins twice to let her feet hit you; it pushes enemies back on moderate damage percentages and hits two times when used on those with low percentages. Nothing too special about the move, but its reliable and gets its job done. [/collapse]
[Collapse=Jab & Finisher]Okay everyone, here's my jab idea for The Third Hero:

Using her hair for support, she sits back and kicks her feet forward; Dixie pedals her feet back continuously to rack up damage.

Then, to finish her rapid kicks, she uses her hair and body to thrust herself forward feet first to give opponents a forceful shove. Thanks to her hair's length she's able to move a nice distance for her finisher.
Originally I thought of the 2nd drawing as a forward tilt backup idea, but after seeing the introduction of standard attack finishers in a Pic of the Day months ago, I knew what to do with this move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Tilt: Side Swing]
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Tilt: Figure Ape]

Dixie's UpTilt involves her body facing us as she shuffles gracefully left to right or vice versa. She literally tilts; as she does so her hair sways with her to whack opponents above her, behind her and in front of her to move them around. It has great range and its effective at crowd control, but it has little knockback and by extension no real killing power. It is however good for disrupting aerial approaches and those that are too close as it displaces them, and if a foe's damage is substantial they'll be swept around through the whole animation instead of part of it. It's best to use this on airborne targets as they'll typically get stirred more than grounded opponents, who are more likely to get smacked depending on where they are, how close they are to Dixie and what stage her attack's in. It's generally a carrying attack. She'll always start the move from behind where she's facing; this is good to for getting those who rolled around her.

This is the attack's layout. At position 1, she starts the move and foes directly above as well as those beside her get hit and swept to position 2. Grounded opponents who got hit during position 1 will be swept and usually left here. Airborne victims likely won't. At P2, new victims both grounded and aerial will be whacked and likely carried with the airborne victims of P1 and swung to P3 where the attack ends. From this point, victims will either hit the ground or be chucked forward a bit, especially if their damage % is EXTREMELY high. Enemies who make contact at P3 will simply get whacked and pushed back. They only take damage ranging from average to below average from this move at these 3 points. Good for displacement, close-quarters crowd control or setting up the Forward Tilt or Forward Smash. [/Collapse]

I shall remain committed to illustrating how unique Dixie can be. As long as the ideas start flowing in others we'll be one step closer to fighting the clone assumption.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Guys and Gals, with tilts out the way and only one aerial and smash left to propose, I'm gonna jump the gun and show an idea I've been holding for a while:

Down Throw: Springy Slam

As she clenches her opponent tightly, Dixie uses her hair as a balancing agent then leaps into the air with her victim and crashes into the ground--all while using her foe to cushion her own landing! I've combined elements of her Up Smash and Down Special to create this throw; it's not too fancy but it feels pretty sweet to do this to someone.

And here's the layout. The Sandbag has graciously agreed to be part of the demonstration--I'm so glad it's fine with being the throw victim for any hypothetical moves! So nice of it! Anyway, as you can see Dixie rolls back, launches, crashes down with the foe then happily jumps off them. They're unwillingly taken for a ride like how Kirby and Metaknight treat their opponents, but Dixie's trajectory isn't nearly as high as theirs. Also, I wasn't sure if the victim should be bounced opposite of Dixie as she jumps off or even if she'll jump forward or backward after, so I'll leave that to the imagination.
[Collapse=Forward Air: Kong Kicks]

Another practical attack for Dixie, her forward air has her do two kicks: right leg then left. Like the alternate down tilt idea the input yields 2 hits per use, and you can attack repeatedly with it to rack up damage. Enemies are knocked upwards and backwards slightly with each kick--enough to push them back by just a bit but not enough to keep foes from escaping another dose; time it right and you'll get much more than 2 hits from these strikes. The move's quick on its own and not KO-worthy, but with Dixie's airspeed being the best of the Kongs and a unique ability of her own, you can practically chase foes around using this move repeatedly and slowly descend to the ground.

While the attack isn't as spectacular as her Up and Down Air (coming soon) or as strong as her Back Air, it's great for aggressive approaches. She moves faster than DK and Diddy in the air and can stay off the ground longer than they ever could.

Dixie's Forward Air is a go-to move for horizontal momentum, while her Neutral is a quick way to push others back; her Up Air is deliberately meant to rack up damage and disrupt her own falling speed while it's being used, almost to the point of floating in mid air (which she technically can't do, but "gliding's" a different story). Her Back Air is strong and can kill once certain thresholds are crossed, and her Down Air...is perfect for..displacement..[/collapse]
[Collapse=Alternate Down Tilt: Swift Spank]

Based off Tropical Freeze. She kneels and leans forward, allowing her hair to strike twice in front of her with a relatively small range. It's quick, reliable and has a stinging quality, but the attack is always 2 strikes per input, which means if the hits don't connect Dixie could be vulnerable to a counterattack. As I wrote before, the moves quick so she's not in too much danger if she misses, right?

I came up with the Handstand Slam just before I saw Dixie do that hair-banging groundpound from DKC Tropical Freeze, and I gotta admit it looked cool so I drew up something based on it. I find it practical; it's swift and she leans low unlike in the other which she is more open to danger, but it's not as strong and looks similar to her Forward Tilt. Still, both ideas are good but I prefer the Slam over the Spank. As long as I get ideas circulating in others, every drawing I show will serve its purpose. So in this case, if I have more than 1 idea to show for the same attack then the more the merrier.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Smash: Jolt]

Dixie starts her Up Smash with a handstand pose. Her arms and hair stay bent on the ground to support herself and cushion her head, for balancing in that position can be painful.
The blood flows down as the attack charges, but she remains clear-headed and focused. And then...

ssSSSHWEEEEEemsh!!! She launches herself straight up to collide with foes and knock them higher! Her hair goes from a curled cushion to propel herself upward; as she does so she extends her legs in the hopes of impacting enemies with blunt force. She uses her hair merely for assistance, as this attack has her rely on her feet to deal the damage, and boy is it strong. The force she uses to blast upwards coupled with the overall trajectory makes this quite a jolt for her!
A near - strictly vertical attack from Dixie. The extended length of her ponytail matches the length of her body, and thus like many of her moves she's granted some good range. As she shoots upward her feet have incredible force; it's not as powerful as her Forward Smash, but it has quite a healthy bit of killing power. Also, due to the vertical nature of this move, it's most effective on those directly above her and the knockback is vertically oriented as well.
In regard to Smash attacks, Dixie's Forward relies mostly on her hair to deal damage; her Up reverses that "role" and her Down has no reliance on her hair. A nice dynamic IMO.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Down Tilt: Handstand Slam]

To pull off her Down Tilt, Dixie does a swift handstand and lets her hair fall forward to smash into the ground. Opponents hit by it will be bounced upwards with semi decent force if their % is at or near zero; the knockback (or more accurately knock-up) is good but the move's not KO worthy unless on really high percentages, though it's a nice and quick way to bounce opponents off.

Here's the attack layout. At Position 1 tthere's no attack, but the transition to P2 is something to be aware of, as the startup swing does negligible damage but may knock you forward if grounded or swung with slightly more force if aerial. In either case, if you get hit at this transition, you should be pushed just out of the reach of this DTilt, with minor damage if you're higher than 20%. If your % is lower than 20, you're likely to endure the full attack. At P2, Dixie's hair swings downward, so anything hit from this point on the way to P3 will nudged or forced underneath the hair. At P3, the hair makes contact with the ground and BAM! The attack has unfolded. Anything it immediately touches will be bounced upwards as the attack is complete, and those that were forced through the whole move will be slammed into the ground, bounced up and receive higher damage and knockback than those making contact at P3. P4 is simply Dixie returning to her neutral position.
The move is quick on the startup side but has just a touch of ending lag; about the speed of Diddy's Forward Tilt, and as the move bounces foes upward I liken it to a 1-directional shockwave with (surprise surprise) nice reach thanks to her hair. It's quick and strong but not a killing move, however you might be able to use it to set up her Up Tilt at the right percentages. Just think...Dtilt-> UTilt-> FTilt/FSmash. This is one of Dixie's "Get back!" moves. [/Collapse]
[Collapse=Back Air: Whiplash Whirl]

Here we have a hair-assisted whiplash attack. She curves her hair around her then immediately turns 180 degresss, extending her hair in the process to smack foes, much like her forward smash but reversed. She then turns back to her start position. A powerful move, no doubt, but not quite the fastest airborne attack of hers. It takes a split second to get to the part you see above (while most BAirs are practically instantaneous) and the ending lag's roughly the same, so you might wanna use this move preemptively if you're sure it'll hit, and when it does it pays off. Not quite as fast as other BAirs or Dixie's other aerials, but still a reliable speed with good power. It is her strongest aerial move, and if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit by one of Ike's aerials, you'll have a very solid idea of its KO potential.
Also, as it is a tad slower due to startup and ending lag, it would be tougher to use this move as much as others before you land. Dixie doesn't have to worry too much though, because she's got an ability to stay airborne for quite some time. It's an ability...that I'll detail later..[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Air: Simian Cyclone]
Up Air

While airborne, Dixie can use her hair for more than maneuvering. She can treat enemies above her to a violent display of her hair's spinning ability, in which her ponytail twists and throttles wildly; it jerks and whips in a dangerous fashion, abandoning the more graceful movements it's known for and embraces a feral nature. The ponytail lashes and contorts relentlessly in a strange circular form that resembles a tornado, and thus she's able to gain multiple hits while enemies are caught in this cyclone.
Dixie makes a sort of free falling pose to pull off the move. Her arms are stretched outward while her head dips so that her feet are the highest point of her body; this allows her ponytail enough room to swivel uncontrollably without smacking herself, and her body is poised to help her with her movement, for the turbulent nature of her Simian Cyclone slows her good air speed. Fortunately this move slows her falling speed considerably, as she is spinning her ponytail afterall.
Great for racking up damage and trapping enemies in a hairy cyclone, not much of a killing move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Smash: Whiplash Smash]

To begin her Forward Smash attack, Dixie coils her hair around herself and turns her back to her foes. As she charges the move her hair tightens and snakes around her body; she balances on one foot in preparation for what's to come, unaffected by her own constricted grip. The extent of the coil grows with each second while Dixie grows more determined to maintain her posture. The pressure mounts...and then finally...!

WHAAAOOOOoomsshh!! She makes a fierce spin and unravels her hair, slashing the space around her! While she turns, her ponytail extends to whip the air with immense might and smack anything it collides with HARD. The force behind this move is extreme and her strongest smash attack without a doubt, and you can even hear the wind crack while the move's used. She easily surpasses her boyfriend's strength and practically rivals DK's!
This is a high-powered move with amazing knockback and high killing power, so do your best to avoid it! This move is a stationary spin attack that, thanks to her hair, gives this kong an elliptical strike range with impressive reach, damage, knockback and KO potential. The move starts quickly but has a bit of ending lag, for a revolution that fiercely performed needs a moment to keep balance. The upside to this however is that Dixie's using her hair to attack, and thus has a bit of a backswing that foes should beware. The backswing isn't as deadly (far less tbh) or powerful but it still packs a punch, so rolling around Dixie or standing behind this attack will leave you with a nasty surprise.
Dixie's UpTilt is a good setup for this move.
I finally got to show a smash attack. The idea behind it is a powerful backhand move where hair is used instead of hand, and I think it works out nicely[/collapse]
[collapse=Neutral Air: Splitting Kong]

A nice whirling kick. She spins twice to let her feet hit you; it pushes enemies back on moderate damage percentages and hits two times when used on those with low percentages. Nothing too special about the move, but its reliable and gets its job done. [/collapse]
[Collapse=Jab & Finisher]Okay everyone, here's my jab idea for The Third Hero:

Using her hair for support, she sits back and kicks her feet forward; Dixie pedals her feet back continuously to rack up damage.

Then, to finish her rapid kicks, she uses her hair and body to thrust herself forward feet first to give opponents a forceful shove. Thanks to her hair's length she's able to move a nice distance for her finisher.
Originally I thought of the 2nd drawing as a forward tilt backup idea, but after seeing the introduction of standard attack finishers in a Pic of the Day months ago, I knew what to do with this move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Tilt: Side Swing]
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Tilt: Figure Ape]

Dixie's UpTilt involves her body facing us as she shuffles gracefully left to right or vice versa. She literally tilts; as she does so her hair sways with her to whack opponents above her, behind her and in front of her to move them around. It has great range and its effective at crowd control, but it has little knockback and by extension no real killing power. It is however good for disrupting aerial approaches and those that are too close as it displaces them, and if a foe's damage is substantial they'll be swept around through the whole animation instead of part of it. It's best to use this on airborne targets as they'll typically get stirred more than grounded opponents, who are more likely to get smacked depending on where they are, how close they are to Dixie and what stage her attack's in. It's generally a carrying attack. She'll always start the move from behind where she's facing; this is good to for getting those who rolled around her.

This is the attack's layout. At position 1, she starts the move and foes directly above as well as those beside her get hit and swept to position 2. Grounded opponents who got hit during position 1 will be swept and usually left here. Airborne victims likely won't. At P2, new victims both grounded and aerial will be whacked and likely carried with the airborne victims of P1 and swung to P3 where the attack ends. From this point, victims will either hit the ground or be chucked forward a bit, especially if their damage % is EXTREMELY high. Enemies who make contact at P3 will simply get whacked and pushed back. They only take damage ranging from average to below average from this move at these 3 points. Good for displacement, close-quarters crowd control or setting up the Forward Tilt or Forward Smash. [/Collapse]

I shall remain committed to illustrating how unique Dixie can be. As long as the ideas start flowing in others we'll be one step closer to fighting the clone assumption.
No roll attack throw?

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
@ BirthNote BirthNote Holy crap you are beyond talented! I absolutely love your sketches! Some of the moves in my set match your's so I have purposely changed some up just for the sake of showing people a variety of things she can do.

Here is what I am working on so far. Decided to go with a simple style for the sake of speed since I am working on the site and all. When I am done with this I'll pass the template over so you can put your sketches on it and have a complete moveset! If you don't have photoshop or anything to edit with I don't mind doing it for you.

Since your moveset is focusing more on her hand to hand combat moves I'm making my tilt moves guitar based once again just to show people the wide range of things she can do. I figured her side smash could be a moving projectile like mega man's. I don't see why she can't whip her hair so hard that it creates a wind wave slash thingy. So I guess i'll stick with that since you took the more obvious one!

Also your slam attack is interesting because the side B attack (the hair wheel I posted a while back)
I'm making for this moveset follows a similar leap motion except after the leap she shoots forward and rolls like a wheel. I know that is an oddly specific motion for a side B but it would be good for jumping over/punishing annoying projectiles like PK fire. MAN! I REALLY HATE PK FIRE.

low res Work in progress preview! I'm sure there are spelling errors on it. I'll correct everything when i am done.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@ BirthNote BirthNote Holy crap you are beyond talented! I absolutely love your sketches! Some of the moves in my set match your's so I have purposely changed some up just for the sake of showing people a variety of things she can do.

Here is what I am working on so far. Decided to go with a simple style for the sake of speed since I am working on the site and all. When I am done with this I'll pass the template over so you can put your sketches on it and have a complete moveset! If you don't have photoshop or anything to edit with I don't mind doing it for you.

Since your moveset is focusing more on her hand to hand combat moves I'm making my tilt moves guitar based once again just to show people the wide range of things she can do. I figured her side smash could be a moving projectile like mega man's. I don't see why she can't whip her hair so hard that it creates a wind wave slash thingy. So I guess i'll stick with that since you took the more obvious one!

Also your slam attack is interesting because the side B attack (the hair wheel I posted a while back)
I'm making for this moveset follows a similar leap motion except after the leap she shoots forward and rolls like a wheel. I know that is an oddly specific motion for a side B but it would be good for jumping over/punishing annoying projectiles like PK fire. MAN! I REALLY HATE PK FIRE.

low res Work in progress preview! I'm sure there are spelling errors on it. I'll correct everything when i am done.
This is such a sick layout! I love what you did with it; the style and poses are pretty badass and I gotta admit using a projectile as a smash attack is a cool idea--I'd look forward to seeing it! I was gonna have a soundwave as her SideB but now that you mention it either or would work out great. The SideB you have in mind though? I never thought of using her hair like that! It's great not just because of variety, but it's an excellent way to show that Dixie's ponytail can be and is multipurpose; it's cute on her, can be used for attacks, locomotion and flying. Her hair is her greatest asset and there's so much you can do with it to prove it--I personally see it as an extra limb, like an arm growing out the back of her head lol.

And thanks for liking the work! I actually don't have anything but MS Paint to edit with (I literally gotta do 3 different things to get the drawings from my sketchbook to a website) but I'll see if I can get the template to work on it. If not, I'd appreciate it if you did it for me and thank you for offering.

Also keep up the great work with building hype. This is the kind of help Dixie needs to be seen as a viable character and fighting the clone assumption is one of our biggest concerns. I feel like even if not all of us have an illustration to go along with our ideas we should still share it and get feedback.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Also keep up the great work with building hype. This is the kind of help Dixie needs to be seen as a viable character and fighting the clone assumption is one of our biggest concerns. I feel like even if not all of us have an illustration to go along with our ideas we should still share it and get feedback.
Roger that man! When you are done ill put the stuff on the template for you. Its kinda a pain in the ass if you dont have Photoshop. can't wait for our sets to be Done! Hopefully they spread like wildfire so prople can have clear visuals of the positives.

Also after im done setting up every thing like the main site and such I plan on illustrating some of other peoples move ideas for them. I think the more involved we get people the more hype everyone will become.

On another note How bout Dixie beating out Krystal, Geno, Shantae, and inkling in the rate their chances thread?

I know that is just a small portion of opinions but its super interesting to know that she still holds #3 spot most wanted and Most wanted female character. Which brings me to my next point! Hopefully Dixie can keep an edge in the ballots as most wanted female newcomer. Fingers crossed that sakurai picks a male and female to balance the roster a bit more.

So she may not be winning the overall popularity battle but if we could push her to stand out in at least one category I think she will have a good shot!

EDIT: * about 1 hour later*

Just found this and i'll leave it here...
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakura...sible-says-its-made-for-the-fans#.VTkqPiFVikq
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/sakurai-on-dlc-its-all-about-making-players-happy/

I'm not huge on the gamenesia one I couldn't find that quote in the original interview. But reading the translated interview I feel we need to keep pushing! Like I said we gotta give her an edge in something to stand out! I think we are getting more than one DLC off the ballot!

Last edited:

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
So I haven't had any luck with retro studios or playtonic yet, oh well. Either way I don't know if it's just me but it seems like Dixie has been popping up in more peoples wanted lists lately, anyone else notice that?

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
So I haven't had any luck with retro studios or playtonic yet, oh well. Either way I don't know if it's just me but it seems like Dixie has been popping up in more peoples wanted lists lately, anyone else notice that?
Really?I guess that a good sign then.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yea, that's a great sign. She's gaining momentum.

Also those Sakurai quotes have me surprised actually. I know he always acknowledged fan input but did things his way, but reading that the DLC is a way to give fans what they want shows he's doing more than keeping us in mind. TBH IDK what fans want as a whole but I'll be cautiously optimistic until we see who gets voted into the roster.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yea, that's a great sign. She's gaining momentum.

Also those Sakurai quotes have me surprised actually. I know he always acknowledged fan input but did things his way, but reading that the DLC is a way to give fans what they want shows he's doing more than keeping us in mind. TBH IDK what fans want as a whole but I'll be cautiously optimistic until we see who gets voted into the roster.
They want Banjo and Shovel knight. Luckily, Sakurai isn't that stupid

Top Bottom