• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
That is saying much considering Returns was released in 2010 and Tropical Freeze in 2014. The original trilogy release dates has no relevance here.

As for the countdown, I don't remember it being mentioned in the Direct and I am pretty sure there should be a NeoGAF thread about it somewhere, but I couldn't find one yet. Weird. Are we sure it isn't a fan made site?
Come to think of it, every article websites never talked about it, so it could be a fan made website.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking that a Donkey Kong Character is more or less set for DLC so I propose that fans of the Girl and the King agree to celebrate regardless of which of them (or Cranky or Lanky) get in.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am not going to celebrate until either Dixie and/or King K. Rool are confirmed (with a newcomer video, etc). Not quite sure why one would celebrate anything if Cranky or Lanky get in over the two most requested characters.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
If we get Dixie, I'll be super happy.
If we get Dixie and K. Rool, Ima party hard.
If we get just K. Rool...I'll be happy that we got one of them, but I can't say I won't be a little disappointed.

Reila

If we get Dixie, I'll be super happy.
If we get Dixie and K. Rool, Ima party hard.
If we get just K. Rool...I'll be happy that we got one of them, but I can't say I won't be a little disappointed.
Same. I love K. Rool and he is a big part of my childhood, but Dixie is a lot more special to me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You're allowed to be disappointed, just don't be salty.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll be happy as long at least one of them is in. I like K. Rool a bit more, to be honest. Blame the DKC Cartoon.

:231:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I think I'm going to go on other forums and message boards and as a research project ask "how many people here didn't vote dixie in fear that she would be a diddy clone?" People with twitters if you can go around and ask people what they think of dixie and why she's NOT a good pick that would be great info to have for the website. Also if anyone has accounts on other forums that would be good to get started on. Seeing some of the responses will give a better angle to try to advertise our campaign from when I make the main site. I am currently working on the graphics now.

ALSO REMINDER : People with Twitter accounts - Tweet Playtonic about supporting @Dixie4Smash I'm sure they will do it if enough people ask

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Sakurai would have to go out of his way to make Dixie a clone of Diddy. I can definitely envision them sharing similar properties, owing to body type and similar canon mechanics, but an outright clone?

That'd be unfair to both characters. Dixie can do a lot more than just shoot peanuts and Hoo-Ha.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm gonna party even if Cranky is in.

Pogo Bounce McMonkey amiibos yesh.

I have no preference to K. Rool or Dixie, if their movesets are good, I'll love them just the same.
Aerial Acrobat Dixie or Time Bomb Trapper K. Rool, both are good to me.

I wouldn't mind Dixie being a clone because Hoo-Hair would be hillarious.

Last edited:

Reila

You're allowed to be disappointed, just don't be salty.
Thank heavens, I am so glad to see you are allowing us to be disappointed (but not salty!!!). What a relief. What would we do with our lives if Guybrush20X6 weren't here to allow us to be disappointed?

Seriously though, what a weird post. Let people be salty if they want.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Thank heavens, I am so glad to see you are allowing us to be disappointed (but not salty!!!). What a relief. What would we do with our lives if Guybrush20X6 weren't here to allow us to be disappointed?

Seriously though, what a weird post. Let people be salty if they want.
Well that was uncalled for.

Dude's just making a sincere suggestion.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
... Well to steer the topic back to the positives here is a rough draft of the central site. I am designing it myself on wix from scratch. And yeah sorry there will be that small ad on the top and bottom because I am using a free site builder. I have very little know how on coding (mainly because i don't have the patience to learn it properly) and Wix is like Web design photoshop with layers and alot more intuitive for me to work with for that reason alone. No coding required just drag and drop and make shapes.

So yeah this is why I was asking for people to help me with the research and find out why it is that people aren't voting Dixie. I am going to have a page called "Crushed Complaints" or a facts page which is basically we find things people dislike about Dixie or have misconceptions about and we present the positives. For example "she will be a clone" we will have a copy of fan made move sets to show potential. or "She will just be another light weight like diddy". According to a weight chart diddy is not a light weight. He is almost up there with them but not really a weight chart would be provided on the site. or "Lanky has more moves because he was in the n64 games" while in reality there is nothing stopping Dixie from borrowing Tiny's moves. Etc. and Lol I accidently left the K's in the title before taking a screen shot. Those will be C's >.>"

Supporters page will have a whole list of everyone who support this thread as well as people on twitter and any others we can find. There will be tons of info on this site to try to support our case. I'm just going to need help with the research.

Also, I redrew her jump pic from DKC 2 into the Donkey Konga style to match the edgy page styling a bit better.

Last edited:

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982
That site you're making looks really great so far! And as for crushed complaints, the clone one is honestly the only one I've seen so far against her. Giving her some of Tiny's moves from DK64 might actually be a good idea. As a kid I always assumed that she taught Tiny all she knew anyway, minus the shrinking thing.

And hi, I joined up a few seconds just to show my support for Dixie. I also half jokingly, half seriously made this a while back, and some people on Tumblr got a kick out of it. It got only a few reblogs, but it showed me there's still a little love for Dixie Kong out there and even encouraged a few votes for her.

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
... Well to steer the topic back to the positives here is a rough draft of the central site. I am designing it myself on wix from scratch. And yeah sorry there will be that small ad on the top and bottom because I am using a free site builder. I have very little know how on coding (mainly because i don't have the patience to learn it properly) and Wix is like Web design photoshop with layers and alot more intuitive for me to work with for that reason alone. No coding required just drag and drop and make shapes.

So yeah this is why I was asking for people to help me with the research and find out why it is that people aren't voting Dixie. I am going to have a page called "Crushed Complaints" or a facts page which is basically we find things people dislike about Dixie or have misconceptions about and we present the positives. For example "she will be a clone" we will have a copy of fan made move sets to show potential. or "She will just be another light weight like diddy". According to a weight chart diddy is not a light weight. He is almost up there with them but not really a weight chart would be provided on the site. or "Lanky has more moves because he was in the n64 games" while in reality there is nothing stopping Dixie from borrowing Tiny's moves. Etc. and Lol I accidently left the K's in the title before taking a screen shot. Those will be C's >.>"

Supporters page will have a whole list of everyone who support this thread as well as people on twitter and any others we can find. There will be tons of info on this site to try to support our case. I'm just going to need help with the research.

Also, I redrew her jump pic from DKC 2 into the Donkey Konga style to match the edgy page styling a bit better.

That's an awesome looking site, when you're done I'll put a link to it in my sig.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Well THIS is an interesting development guys!?
http://smashboards.com/threads/poll...-bros-dlc-choices.375784/page-5#post-17897398

I don't remember Dixie being THAT high on the poll in that specific thread. Last time I checked she hardly had any votes compared to other characters. O_O ! We have got to keep this ball rolling! It think it's working. Stay active and on top of it guys! =D I know that one poll doesn't mean much as say the other polls around the web but hey it is a GOOD START!

Reminder to everyone just now joining us if you have a twitter - Tweet Playtonic about supporting @Dixie4Smash. Kindly explain to them that Dixie Kong is Rare too and should be supported just like Rool and Banjo.

This will be alot more effective if we work in large numbers. PERSISTENCE is key! That's how the K Rool thread is doing so well because everytime they see a bad post about K rool somewhere one of them brings the link back to the thread and HUGE MAJORITY of them will go and back the other user with positives about the character. Same with Twitter they all tweeted Playtonic and got support because of it.

We are doing well right now let's keep it up and aim even higher! =D

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey so I was wondering, would it be reasonable to give Dixie 2 midair jumps? The first could be the regular while the 2nd could be that Tropical Freeze helicopter.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Hey so I was wondering, would it be reasonable to give Dixie 2 midair jumps? The first could be the regular while the 2nd could be that Tropical Freeze helicopter.
Correct me if I'm wrong because I ONLY play as Yoshi and sometimes fox. But aren't up-b moves usually used as recovery moves? So do you mean 2 jumps then and up B as a 3rd jump/attack (the helicopter spin) or just give her one jump and one really BEAST 2nd jump (Helicopter spin w/super armor) leaving her Up Open for another move? If thats the case she would play more like Yoshi. Yoshi only has 2 jumps and his up-B is not a vertical recovery. It's a projectile which is why his second jump has super armor. This would be kinda cool if something similar was applied to Dixie. Would make her up -B less Donkey Kong clonish.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I imagine Dixie with a Peach-like glide, slowly descending downward and her spinning hair is a bigger hitbox than Peach's parasol. Basically just like in the original DKC games. Whether this is activated after a jump like Peach's air hover or after up B, well, I dunno. I think it fits better if activated after a normal jump but then I don't know what she'll do for up B.

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I imagine Dixie with a Peach-like glide, slowly descending downward and her spinning hair is a bigger hitbox than Peach's parasol. Basically just like in the original DKC games. Whether this is activated after a jump like Peach's air hover or after up B, well, I dunno. I think it fits better if activated after a normal jump but then I don't know what she'll do for up B.
I like the glide idea and her hair being a hit box like peaches parasol alot! Seems to stay a bit more true to her DKC 2 roots for sure!

So many things her up B could be! Orange grenades from dk 64 or maybe a barrel blast like someone else suggested tho i don't remember reading how it would work so I could only assume she can put herself in a barrel and blast which ever direction you input. This would be different from diddy's jet pack because with the barrel blast you can only input one direction and have no further control once that direction has been decided. Kinda like Fox's FireFox move but not as slow due to not having to charge the attack.

LOL! Everyone saying Dixie will be a Diddy "clone". For some odd reason I can see her being more of a Donkey Kong "clone" because he already has spinning attacks. Or if we gave her orange grenades and Tiny's feather bow she could pass as link semi clone xD Dixie has way more potential than people actually realize.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think her UpB could be glide-like. You keep the B button pressed and her descent would be slowed down, like how you can float with the Golden Hammer.

As for Diddy clone, I can see a few aerial and smash attacks being shared, but nothing more.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I think her UpB could be glide-like. You keep the B button pressed and her descent would be slowed down, like how you can float with the Golden Hammer.

As for Diddy clone, I can see a few aerial and smash attacks being shared, but nothing more.

>.>
*goes to training mode and test golden hammer* The golden hammer reference flew straight over my head. I guess this is what happens when the only mode you play is for glory... Shame on me :facepalm:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I fume everytime I see the words "diddy clone" anywhere NEAR Dixie. The banana is the ONLY move she could even have of his that wouldn't be completely out of character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Diddy's a Spider Monkey, Didxie is a Chimp. If you tried to pass them off as clones in science you'd get institutionalized.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Diddy's a Spider Monkey, Didxie is a Chimp. If you tried to pass them off as clones in science you'd get institutionalized.
Actually AFAIK Dixie is never explicitly stated as a chimp. And her stature would suggest she's some form of Monkey. I know her sister, Tiny is a Chimp, but Diddy has been described as DK's nephew before and obviously they're different species.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
That's pretty close to what I was thinking. My idea was that she would get 3 midair jumps like Pit/Dark Pit, and those would be the TF helicopter. I think her Up B would be something like DKC2 where she spins her whole body very fast and ascends into the air, and if you hold the button, she keeps spinning and slows her decent.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My notion for Dixie's aerial play:

Jump: Normal jump
Double Jump: Tropical Freeze Jump
Glide like Peach, does make her descent a bit.
UpB: Barrel Cannon
SideB: Barrel Ride (Lloid Rocket)

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

I really like this idea, and I agree with Noivern. If Dixie had Villager's Side B and Peach's float, she would have plenty of aerial prowess. She doesn't need multiple midair jumps in that case. I'm also thinking that the Side B could use the Barrel Jets from Barrel Blast.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I really like this idea, and I agree with Noivern. If Dixie had Villager's Side B and Peach's float, she would have plenty of aerial prowess. She doesn't need multiple midair jumps in that case. I'm also thinking that the Side B could use the Barrel Jets from Barrel Blast.
As long as she can perform all kinds of Cranky stunts with it!
It really fits her character IMO, to be floating all around, pulling off all kinds of stunts.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I'd prefer her up B to be either like her flight in Tropical freeze or like her glide DKC2, acting similar to DK. And her side B should be a move using her guitar, maybe like a shockwave similar to Zero Suit Samus

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I have that as Down B, being simian slam similar to Barbara the Bat and/or DK's Konga Beat.
I think that'd be better as a final smash with down B being kinda like Diddy using the milkshake she drank in DKC2 for one of her idle animation, dropping it on the ground acting as a trap which causes the opponent to slip as if they were on ice

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I pictured her down B being bubblegum actually. It can work kinda like Zero suit Samus' paralyzer but close range instead for people who try to get in your face. Would make people think twice before approaching too recklessly and good defense against heavyweight characters who would otherwise be able to KO her with not problem. Gum can also serve as a projectile stopper. If a projectile is thrown at Dixie she can blow her gum to catch it. It will float in place until hit towards an opponent. So unlike villager who catches projectiles and saves them for later Dixie's would be more of a use it or lose it type of deal. Just to make sure she is different from other characters. That's the one I'll draw next.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Correct me if I'm wrong because I ONLY play as Yoshi and sometimes fox. But aren't up-b moves usually used as recovery moves? So do you mean 2 jumps then and up B as a 3rd jump/attack (the helicopter spin) or just give her one jump and one really BEAST 2nd jump (Helicopter spin w/super armor) leaving her Up Open for another move? If thats the case she would play more like Yoshi. Yoshi only has 2 jumps and his up-B is not a vertical recovery. It's a projectile which is why his second jump has super armor. This would be kinda cool if something similar was applied to Dixie. Would make her up -B less Donkey Kong clonish.
I'm going more on the lines of 1 normal jump, the 2nd is the double jump that everyone has and the 3rd is her Tropical Freeze helicopter which leads to glide/floating hybrid. Her UpB could be something else entirely, like a barrel or whatnot. So, 4 jumps if we count the UpB but 3 otherwise.

I'm probably not gonna use the 3-jumps idea for my moveset but I thought it'd be interesting to share.

Top Bottom