• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am still worried for Dixie, as Diddy's barreljet basically replaced her helicopter spin in Returns... Hopefully that game would look more like the originals than Returns.

:phone:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Am still worried for Dixie, as Diddy's barreljet basically replaced her helicopter spin in Returns... Hopefully that game would look more like the originals than Returns.

True. The best way they can get around that is to come up with ideas in which Dixie's ponytail works as an extra arm, that way, when she's on DK's back she can hold stuff with her hair like a barrel for example while DK uses clingy surfaces. And while a Diddy/DK tag team allows them to roll indefinitely, a Dixie/DK tag team could allow them to spin indefinitely. It won't be as fast as the roll, but it'll be stronger; many things that interrupt the DK/Diddy roll would be broken by the Dixie/DK spin, and it allows you to glide. DK and Dixie already have spinning powers, them doing it together should enhance the results, no? Also, have her grab things like hooks to help DK or Diddy swing.

I even thought up some new ideas for a Dixie and Diddy tag team in a DKC game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I dunno if I want to see teams like that, leaving just one Kong out. Rather would like it if you could just select your character similary to Super Mario World 2.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, the one which also had Toad, Luigi and Peach playable. :p

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Oh you mean SMB 2 then.

Now that I think about it, I was looking at Diddy and Dixie as 'items' that DK would use if a player chose him and played on their own. I started to do the same for them all; if someone played solo, whichever of the 3 kongs they picked would use the other 2 as 'items'. If more than one person wanted to play they could have the DKCR style co op but this time with 3 players max. Players would be free to do some tag teaming, but now that you mentioned it a player would always be left out. I gotta think of a way around that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That was done in Jungle Climber for Diddy, and was one of the only bad things about the game actually...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm solely basing the idea off of how it went for DKCR tbh. The idea still needs work though. I'll leave it be for a while, come back to it with fresh eyes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Donkey and Kiddy = heavyweight gorillas with strong attacks

Diddy and Dixie = lightweight chimps that can hover

What if, in Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, players can mix and match Kong teams for different gameplay experiences?

Donkey & Diddy
Donkey & Dixie
Donkey & Kiddy
Diddy & Dixie
Diddy & Kiddy
Dixie & Kiddy

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah you've posted that also in the K.Rool thread right? It's very good indeed.

Arcadenik's idea has also been used in a fangame called Donkey Kong Country 4. Haven't tried it yet, but am about to. It's not a bad idea at all to feature all Kongs, but I'd rather have them do it a little like DK64 in that regard. And if Kiddy is returning, I'd also throw in Lanky with them. Just because. A 5th character would add a lot of diversity, and options at least in Lanky's case. As Lanky would be a perfect balancing character. Both DK and Kiddy are strong heavy weights for example, and Diddy and Dixie are swift light weighted. Lanky would be totally average, but with his own unique abilities.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am curious if there is anyone else that supports Dixie Kong more than K. Rool. Playing through Dixie Kong through two entire games somehow made me more "attached" to the character than K. Rool. However, not having play any new major games with Dixie Kong since 1998, has made her more into a pleasant surprise character for me than a must-have. I would definitely be happy if Dixie Kong managed to become a playable character in Smash 4, but I would not be upset or irked if she did not make it.

I think I would have a lot more interest for Dixie Kong in Smash 4 if I ending up playing an entirely new game with her as a playable character. E3 2013 is pretty much the last chance for a new game with Dixie Kong (or K. Rool) to be announced and released before Smash 4's release. Hopefully, we will get one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, to be honest, I want Dixie Kong more than I want King K. Rool... mainly because I actually played as her in DKC2 and DKC3 and I really would love to see her in Smash with those moves. What would make me go over the moon is if Kiddy Kong actually gets in as Dixie's tag team partner... it is unlikely but it would really shock me if Sakurai actually went there!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I only played as Dixie mostly in DKC3, as DKC1 and DKC2 had Diddy of coarse. :p I just prefer him cause he's a little faster and jumps better. Plus, helicopter spinning through stages is kinda easy-mode. But yeah, I really miss her being playable as well though... Just for the fact of her being there I guess.

And I'm really hoping for a DKC game at E3 to.

yani

Smash Lord
Well if we're talking strictly from games, I prefer Dixie to K.Rool. I'm only really fond of K.Rool because of the cartoon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, K.Rool is much more awesome in the games I feel.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, K.Rool is much more awesome in the games I feel.

Dude, K. Rool in 64 was such a beast! He was amazing!

Perfect mix of bumbling Nintendo villain and slightly insane schemer.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Funnily enough, the only source material where I absolutely love K. Rool's character is Jungle Climber, where he develops quite a bit as a universe-conquering mastermind.

But to stay relevant, it's refreshing to see how some fans get invested in characters that they spend multiple games playing as, while others get inveted in villains who have only ever been playable once or twice, if at all. Creates a healthy mix within the community, you know?

grizby2

Smash Lord
i always imagined dixie having a donkey kong-esque throw style. prehensile ponytails ftw!
i support dixie btw, so you can add me to the list as well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just thought of something in regards to the Diddy Kong Racing Wii U rumor. Iwata recently mentioned that there are more Wii U titles planned to be released before the end of 2013 that have not been announced yet. According to the Diddy Kong Racing Wii U rumor, the game will be unveiled at E3 and released as a Holiday 2013 title.

I am still doubting the rumor, but I have my fingers crossed for it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If that's true, I better safe up for a Wii U right now!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Me too! Diddy, Dixie, Mallo (from Pushmo), Meowth, Squirtle, Lololo, Rick, and King Dedede on the same roster? FOR Diddy Kong Racing Wii U? I liked that fake rumor, too. :)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
This is the only new character I seriously would want in the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Funnily enough, the only source material where I absolutely love K. Rool's character is Jungle Climber, where he develops quite a bit as a universe-conquering mastermind.

But to stay relevant, it's refreshing to see how some fans get invested in characters that they spend multiple games playing as, while others get inveted in villains who have only ever been playable once or twice, if at all. Creates a healthy mix within the community, you know?

I wonder how many new fans of K. Rool and Dixie Kong were made during the GBA/GCN and early part of the DS/Wii generation (2003-2008) from their appearances in Paon's games and the DKC GBA ports. You yourself seem to have become a big fan of K. Rool from among his last game appearances (Jungle Climber and Mario Super Sluggers).

I think the DKC trilogy being available for the Virtual Console also helped create some new fans for K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Being able to enjoy a character's source material I feel is one of main aspects for a character to grow their fanbase and for them to become popularly requested for Smash Bros.

The removal of the DKC trilogy from the Virtual Console and both characters not having made any new game appearances in nearly five years means that those characters definitely need to get in this time for Smash Bros., because there is the possibility they may never show up again in the DK series or have their source material available for download (though there is the possibility that King of Swing will be made of available eventually once GBA games are available for the Virtual Console).

K. Rool, I think is especially fortunate to be popularly requested in Japan. He is probably the most wanted newcomer there that is not a cut Melee character or Mega Man. Being the most wanted "true newcomer" Nintendo character especially throwing in that there are so few popularly wanted newcomer characters for Smash 4 in general in Japan, really helps out K. Rool in a time were his relevancy (along with Dixie Kong's) could be called into question.

I am crossing my fingers that Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D may have a few extras, and among those extras is an appearance by K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong. I think though there are some K. Rool and Dixie Kong fans that are discouraged by the further prominence of DKCR, it actually bodes for good news for those two characters eventually.

That they are porting DKCR to the 3DS means that they will already have an engine made up to make a sequel to that game for the 3DS. A future DKC platformer for the 3DS would probably feature K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong.

However, I am still skeptical that we will see K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong make another appearance in another game before Smash 4's release unless Diddy Kong Racing Wii U is actually real, or they manage to appear in another Mario sports spinoff (either Mario Kart Wii U or a new Mario Baseball game).

On a sidenote, I recently played through Donkey Kong Country 2 again (got 102% in it). I beat it all under 3.5 hours. DKC2 is easily a great game and the best game in the DKC trilogy, however, I would rank DKC2 and DKC3 closer together than I initially did for all those years prior. DKC3 is very underrated in general. I played through DKC3 entirely last year, so I probably won't play another game with Dixie Kong unless some new game were release with her as a playable character.

My hype and interest for Dixie Kong as a playable character in Smash 4 will basically hinge upon whether Diddy Kong Racing Wii U is real. If it is, I will support Dixie Kong until the release of Smash 4. If its not, I will simply write one lengthy essay in support of Dixie Kong and not really anticipate her from that point (basically lose interest in her as a character prospect). Though in the latter scenario (if no new game with Dixie Kong were to happen at E3), I would still definitely be pleasantly surprised if Dixie Kong were to show up as a playable character in Smash 4.

Really, there are so few characters this time that I have a strong interest in seeing made playable.

D

Deleted member

Quite frankly, I'm rather surprised it's a direct port and not say, a Donkey Kong Land Returns, given the old DK Lands that were associated with the Country games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
...awkward. I was trying to edit that comment to say that the only game where I don't absolutely love K. Rool's character was Jungle Climber. He's ambitious there, sure, but he becomes far less interesting with his mannerisms than in Rare's games, or even in the cartoon, IMO. I became a fan of K. Rool's during the GBA era after having seen him in action during late 1999.

But yes, I'm confident that K. Rool and Dixie will return to the DK series because of Smash, rather than become playable in Smash because of new appearances. Brawl had enough sway to get Retro to include Diddy's popguns and jetpack in DKCR (the developers commented they didn't look at DK64 for inspiration). I think Retro would have gone out of their way to make K. Rool the final boss had he been playable in Brawl, and probably would have given Dixie a role if she had remained a duo character. This sort of influence will continue on with SSB4 and future DK games; Smash has arguably become too big for its own good, in that regard.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am curious whether anyone else thinks that Dixie Kong will become more requested once K. Rool is confirmed. Back during pre-Brawl, while K. Rool was requested (much like Dixie Kong is now), he had nowhere near as much requests and hype that Diddy Kong had. I would say Dixie Kong is now where K. Rool was for much of pre-Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am curious whether anyone else thinks that Dixie Kong will become more requested once K. Rool is confirmed. Back during pre-Brawl, while K. Rool was requested (much like Dixie Kong is now), he had nowhere near as much requests and hype that Diddy Kong had. I would say Dixie Kong is now where K. Rool was for much of pre-Brawl.
Most likely, as many of the K.Rool supporters will support Dixe.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Absolutely...I think we'll see many of the people who want K. Rool because they love DKC gravitate toward Dixie for the same reason once he's confirmed. Plus, aside from one or two outliers suggesting people like Funky or an arcade Kong, Dixie's support will be pretty much universal within her series. She'd be seen as the last major DK character that could feasibly be added into a series big enough to warrant four representatives.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just thought of something in regards to the Diddy Kong Racing Wii U rumor. Iwata recently mentioned that there are more Wii U titles planned to be released before the end of 2013 that have not been announced yet. According to the Diddy Kong Racing Wii U rumor, the game will be unveiled at E3 and released as a Holiday 2013 title.

Mario Kart U will be at E3, so why would another racing game be announced?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cause Diddy Kong Racing, that's why.

Still not really believing the rumors though.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I support Dixie Kong for smash 4, mostly because I like playing characters that fight with their hair like Millia Rage (Guilty Gear), Sindel (Mortal Kombat), and Filia (Skullgirls). Dixie's probably my most wanted newcomer, 2nd would have to be Dillon and 3rd Waluigi.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Cause Diddy Kong Racing, that's why.

Still not really believing the rumors though.
Well, very recently there are some rumors going around that Monster Games is the one developing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. If that is the case, then that definitely rules out them developing Diddy Kong Racing Wii U, considering how small Monster Games is. The evidence in support of Monster Games developing Returns 3D is an Australian game entry that lists Monster Games as the developer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but that still doesn't mean they're making Diddy Kong Racing...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Got some ideas for Dixie. Let me start with the most obvious:

Up Special: Spinning Kong. Like her friend, Dixie spins extremely fast. She gets much more vertical height than DK's version can achieve and lasts just as long. It racks up damage too, and once it's finished, she'll be in a helpless state.

And now here's something a tiny bit more creative:

Descend. Characters like Peach and Metaknight can float and glide respectively in the air, and now Dixie brings her own unique version too. She's able to slow her fall by spinning like she does in DKC2 and 3; it's activated the same way gliding and floating is, but it can be moved horizontally while Dixie slowly returns to the ground. It doesn't move upwards in any way; the natural trajectory is straight down, but you can influence where she'll land by moving horizontally. Also, you're free to change direction whenever you want.
While descending, Dixie's spinning doesn't hurt opponents and can be used until she makes contact with something. Unless she touches a solid surface or gets attacked, Descend lasts as long as you want it to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
WIth that alone, I fail to see how people would ever think of Dixie as a clone of Diddy.

However, I guess it DOES work. But it looks rather awkward. Just look yourself at these Brawl hacks:

Skip to 02.30 in this one.

DKC related to. Cause the second video also has Chunkey Kong, Lanky Kong, Cranky Kong and Funky Kong. And they all look awesome as ****.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Glad you like it. Thaks to her ponytail I can think of so many ideas and attacks with that alone.

I've been thinking a lot about Dixie and how she'd compare to her kong comrades, and I sorta formed an idea of how they are. DK's the powerhouse, Diddy's the scrapper, and Dixie would be the grabaholic. They're all energetic and wild like all apes and monkeys, but they could play very differently. I think you can form a gameplay dynamic between them.

K. Rool of course bulldozes this dynamic because he's not a Kong or a member of their team, and he's kinda like a cannonball. He's in the same series category, but he doesn't try to fit in the harmony and makes his own rules.

Top Bottom