• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Tornado (B-Down), Down-Air and Taunt Thread

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
I just wish my paintball skillz on how fast I can shoot would transfer into my ability to hit the tornado... I mean I can shoot 26 balls per sec but I can get the maximum distance Om~Ja!:urg:

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
A great neglected tip by randall00. Do luigis torpedo, during ur torpedo mash the b button as fast as possible then once the torpedo is done hit down on the control stick, that way ur finger is already moving super fast by the time u get to the tornado.

Be sure to twitch ur arm, ull never get it pressing the button normally.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Haha, nice refresher, coolhat. I ought to hire you to translate some of my posts to my tournament attendees, maybe I'd get some understanding. :)

Mawnkey

Smash Rookie
Hey, Duke said : ("M1sF1r3 c4N b3 DON3 100% uF Teh T1mE!!!111'') is this really true? if it is so, can you please tell me how :p and, some guys here say: dont recharge it too fast and such, what is recharging donw b?? thnx in advance for help =)

Goompas

Smash Rookie
I'm unable to do the down-b recovery, which appears to be a common problem.

Anybody have any tips for learning how to do this?

EazyP

Smash Ace
For down b, you just have to have it in you from other games

Track N Field is probably the BEST way to learn how, since that might as well be Button Mash The Game

kook321

Smash Apprentice
I try to do Luigi's tornado a bunch of times but it has never work for me. I am pretty positive that I am doing it right, the only reason I see why it might work is that I am not tapping B fast enough. I tried my absolute hardest to tap it as many times as possible and he just wont work. Can someone clarify.

Runicwings

Smash Apprentice
I try to do Luigi's tornado a bunch of times but it has never work for me. I am pretty positive that I am doing it right, the only reason I see why it might work is that I am not tapping B fast enough. I tried my absolute hardest to tap it as many times as possible and he just wont work. Can someone clarify.
Well, as stated in the begining you need to do a start up tornado first on the ground. AFTER you should be able to do it BUUT I beleive you need to be able to spam the "B" button like 13 times to get the full distance I do it about 8 to 9 times which is my fastest giving me I think, half or 2/3 of the full distance, it isnt the full distance but its good stall time. Seriously though you just gotta get some REALLY quick god thumbs in order to do it. Hope this helped.

beaver_evicerator

Smash Rookie
ok, just read runicwings post... that's basically what i was thinking. if you are having trouble with the rising tornado, try it in training on a slower speed. makes it much easier.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
does any know how ROFL downb out of the ledge
either he ledge hoped straight into it or he ledge hoped waveland into it. i know thats what i did to get that kinda animation out of it when i mained luigi. whether or not thats what he did is a mystery to me but thats my guess

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
ok, just read runicwings post... that's basically what i was thinking. if you are having trouble with the rising tornado, try it in training on a slower speed. makes it much easier.
yes this is true trying it on a lower speed helps you get the feel for it and how fast you can go. however to get the full rising tornado youd better be prepaired to do it when you go for it cause a few things can happen.
-out of panic your muscle memory will not help you in what you need for the full tornado rise.
-you may think you got the highest point but in truth you can go higher.
-be confident in where you want to use it. too early and your opponent will see and will try and counter. this goes for as too late cause they will have something to do about it.

on a side note, it took me forever to figure this out. many of hours spent watching ka-master and practice. to be honest, 14+ times in a small amount of time is a true pain but in the end it can really help out your survival with luigi.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
It's rough, but it is a great skill to have. If you can't do it near perfect, you should probably find another character to play (assuming you're trying to get good). Luigi really needs the vertical recovery from the tornado to be able to live long.

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
And you don't need to press it repeatedly when you're using it on the ground, only when you're trying to get recovery out of it in the air.

slim de la crim

Smash Apprentice
It's rough, but it is a great skill to have. If you can't do it near perfect, you should probably find another character to play (assuming you're trying to get good). Luigi really needs the vertical recovery from the tornado to be able to live long.

well ima learn that tornado. even if it kills me. oh yeah i wanted to ask is luigis fastfall necessary?? its not that much faster from his regular fall.

Jboy313

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Braunz
Duke, Luigi's D-air does not spike. It's a meteor smash. I'm tired of everyone thinking it spikes. Go d-air a computer off the edge and WATCH how fast they meteor cancel it.
Yes also when you do the d-air it says METEOR SMASH in the bonus thing

SuperSonicRider

Smash Rookie
Cyclone Help Needed?

I realize the last post here was quite long ago, but hopefully it's not long enough for my post to be completely neglected, so I might as well share how I train with the Luigi Cyclone.

1. First, go to either training or Special Melee.
  2. If you choose training, set the speed to anything higher than 1. If in Special Melee, choose "Lightning Melee". Be sure to pick a good stage to train on like Pokemon Stadium or Battlefield.
  3. Now, attempt to use the Rising Luigi Cyclone. Since you're training at light-speed, it is not neccessary to charge the attack yet. You know this is going to be basically impossible to do, but do it anyway.
  4. What this does is train you to press the B button faster. In more extreme conditions, you are likely to react to things faster, and that's what this does. If you go to Lightning Melee and fight against someone, you may also develop a faster playstyle. (Which is also helping my Brawl Sonic. :))
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 as many times as desired. I reccommend at least 3 times.
  6. When you finish your fast training, take it a little slow and go to a normal Melee with someone.
  7. Fight, but practice using the Rising Luigi Cyclone in between serious moments of battle (it is here where you will need to charge by doing Down+B on the ground at least once). You may notice that Luigi had floated a little. Because you just experienced hi-speed training, you become more relaxed in a slower speed, but are still able to react fairly fast.
  8. Repeat as many times as desired. Eventually you'll be able to float like a butterfly, but sting like a Luigi!

Notes:
*Tilting the control stick left or right greatly affects how far horizontally the Luigi Cyclone will go.
*If you are hit while the Rising Luigi Cyclone is still being used, you can use it again.
*Unlike Brawl's Cyclone, upward momentum doesn't do ANYTHING to help the Cyclone rise, so be sure to save your jump.
*All of this also applies to the Mario Tornado, save the facts that it's not as good for horizontal recovery, and it doesn't need to be charged.

If you still can't get the vertical recovery down, don't worry about it. I've found that the Cyclone works well as a horizontal recovery if you're at least able to stay at the same vertical position in the air, and the Super Jump Punch does its job as a vertical recovery.

LithiumLuigi

Smash Cadet
you must first do this move on the ground to be able to do a rising tornado. If Luigi was able to do a rising tornado every time then he would be able to have an infinite return that is why every OTHER tornado is a rising tornado.

No you don't. You can do the rising tornado in the air as well. As long as the momentum is going up, such as with a jump. And I don't know what you mean by the latter, you can do a rising tornado every single time.

Rep

Smash Apprentice
Is the B button the only button that counts for inputs during the rising tornado (besides a directional on the joystick), or can one also hit the A, X, Y, Z, etc buttons to increase the inputs during the rising tornado?

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
It is wrong to say every other tornado is a rising tornado. You can use the rising tornado 50 times in a row as long as you land on a platform at the end of each one. And doing one in the air is not adequate to charge it, so doing two uncharged ones in the air will result in two failures.

Top Bottom