• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
..what would be the point of an ignore button...you just cant read that persons posts?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think there's a block list, but you probably have to go through your profile options to find it.

It's so much easier to just ph14m3 n00bz =3

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Mexican - what do you think about using DK as a secondary to fight Marth/Fox? I main peach. I realize there are better options like Sheik, but I like the monkey and was wondering if you think Peach/DK was a viable combination.

More specifically, what do you think of the DK/Marth matchup and the DK/Fox matchup percentage wise? Around 45/55 for both? Obviously Marth and Fox are much better characters but earlier on the thread you said you though DK/Marth was nearly even. Also, I think I've read M2K saying somewhere on the boards that DK counters Fox on FD.

Also, are there any recent videos of your DK?

phish-it

Smash Champion
Im pretty sure Peach has a better matchup against fox then DK. Peach counters the hell out of fox on FD, that's for sure.
At low to mid level play yes, but at high level play Fox ***** Peach on most stages. If you ask me I think at high level play DK actually does better vs fox than peach, on FD at least.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
Fox definately has the advantage on all stages vs DK. FD is the only stage where it evens out a little bit, and jungle japes give dk a "luck" advantage. DK can just forward throw fox under the platform, and if he gets lucky, the claptrap will come out and spike the fox.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
If you ask me I think at high level play DK actually does better vs fox than peach, on FD at least.
You're wrong. Peach's CG on FD on fox is atleast as devastating as DK's CG on fox.
She also has more options against fox's approach then DK... mainly b/c of her great CC game and her quick FC game. With fast fc'd bairs and nairs so she can outprioritize anything fox has without really lagging (so if she would use it when he thought fox would approach her but didn't, fox cant really punish her, so its safe to use)
DK moves faster so he can DD->grab fox easier, but thats the only advantage i can think of, but fox moves much faster than both anyway and peach has other options.

Peach isn't as reliant on grabs to get some damage as DK is either which is good b/c grabbing a high level fox is really hard. Peach can combo off fc'd arials and dash attacks. That + dsmash does massive damage.

Also, DK can't really do anything about a fox that DD and laser camps alot.
Peach has turnips, which can make approaching DD camping easier, and she can sort of counter laser camping with turnip camping. This certainly doesn't solve the problem but it's better then nothing. She's still the by far easiest camped high/top tier, though, but DK is even easier to camp.

I mean there's no doubt that fox ***** both, but going DK b/c your peach isn't doing well against foxes isn't a good choice.

I main fox and this is what I think
DK/Peach players are free to add something or whatever if you like

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I don't know the peach fox matchup very well as i don't use either character, so i can't really speak for that matchup. I will say though that i'm confident against any fox and any marth on final d. My DK is extremely difficult to beat on that stage for almost any character. As long as you are decent at getting around spam and getting away from tech chasing, you'll do fine there. Its really difficult for marth users to ko me there because i have good di, and i'll ledge tech every time they try to edgeguard me. Unless they get a tipper, or i miss a tech (which is very rare), or they manage to get a d air spike on me (even more rare), i won't die until i'm around 150-200 damage. Its different with fox since he can kill off of the top and its much harder to di to survive from vertical kills. But if you can space your b airs, get your dash dance game going, and just play smart, you'll beat fox.

Hopefully Killa For Cash and I can record some of these matches soon...If we recorded them on tape, is there anyone here that i could maybe mail them to and they can put them online? cuz i don't have the equipment to....

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
How do you DI Fox's usmash/uair? It seems like you should be able to DI it to either side, but sometimes that doesn't work at all. Is there a special property that makes it so I can only DI it one way, or am I just doing it wrong?

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
I will say though that i'm confident against any fox and any marth on final d.
Two questions:
1. Do you attribute your confidence/success in those two matchups to people not being used to the DK matchup, or do you think that DK legitimately has enough tools in those matchups to do well regardless if your opponent knows the matchup? What do you think is the percentage? 44/55?
2. How about on other stages (neutrals)?

Thanks.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
How do you DI Fox's usmash/uair? It seems like you should be able to DI it to either side, but sometimes that doesn't work at all. Is there a special property that makes it so I can only DI it one way, or am I just doing it wrong?
You can di to the side, it just doesn't help you nearly as much as a good di when you're hit vertically.

Two questions:
1. Do you attribute your confidence/success in those two matchups to people not being used to the DK matchup, or do you think that DK legitimately has enough tools in those matchups to do well regardless if your opponent knows the matchup? What do you think is the percentage? 44/55?
2. How about on other stages (neutrals)?

Thanks.
Don't get me wrong, fox/marth definitely have the advantage. I just know how to fight both of them very well. KFC probably knows how to fight DK better than anyone because he plays me so much, and he's a fox/marth main and we always go back and forth in matches. Our battles are pretty stage dependent. I usually do better at final d, dreamland, and pokemon stadium. He usually does better at battlefield, yoshi's story (obviously lol), and fountain of dreams. As long as you can keep your head in the game and stay patient against marth, i think that DK definitely has a good chance of beating him. I'd say at LEAST 40/60. Final D, pokemon stadium, and dreamland are good counterpick stages against marth too btw, at least in my opinion.

Fox is a little bit tougher. Final D is a stage that's easy to punish fox if you get ahold of him, only problem is that getting ahold of him is the hard part, especially at final d. Between dd'ing, and laser camping, it's hard to get in control of the match. You just have to get your grab. This matchup is almost completely based on whether you get the grab before he kills you. I'd say this has about the same rating at final d, 40/60-45/55. Against fox, Final D and dreamland are your best bets. There aren't any stages where DK has an entire advantage...

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
How about CPing small stages against spacies? Running away and lasering and nairing or dd->grab if the big monkey comes close is so easy on big stages. On the other hand fox can just play high pressure rambo on small stages >.>

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
How about CPing small stages against spacies? Running away and lasering and nairing or dd->grab if the big monkey comes close is so easy on big stages. On the other hand fox can just play high pressure rambo on small stages >.>
I wouldn't advise it. I would pick larger stages because you need to have a chance to get off a b air. Small stages won't ever allow you to escape your enemy long enough to get off a b air or ever turn around. Big stages allow you to get away and give you more options for teching. Small stages, you're stuck.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
small stages ****.

its preference.

yoshis story wit dk ***** so does green greens his best stage.
Definitely preference, because i always ban yoshi's story, but its one of pkmvodka's favorite stages. I like being able to survive forever, and that stage doesn't allow that. Sure you get to kill them faster too, but you don't get to take full advantage of DK's great recovery there. That's why I like Pokemon stadium. It has a low ceiling but normal sides. Most characters don't have vertical kills. Fox does obviously, but most others don't get them too often. DK does kill off the top rather well, and this stage also lets you take full advantage of your recovery. You can also combo pretty well here and the dash attack that i mentioned before, works well here. Do your dash attack on them when they're under the platform, if it hits, they're going to land on the platform giving you a free u air to start a combo if you time it right. I dunno...Pokemon Stadium is one of my favorite stages, and i just don't like yoshi's story. Thats just me though. Guess it depends on your playing style with DK

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
opinion on green greens please.

i made a topic a very long time ago declaring it was one of his best stages and why. everyone seemed to agree.

brief reasons:

uair and usmash trap platforms

ridiculously easy cargo kills=
cargo gimps on side
cargo suicide last stock under stage
cargo uair

low *** ceiling

bthrow

camp

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
opinion on green greens please.

i made a topic a very long time ago declaring it was one of his best stages and why. everyone seemed to agree.

brief reasons:

uair and usmash trap platforms

ridiculously easy cargo kills=
cargo gimps on side
cargo suicide last stock under stage
cargo uair

low *** ceiling

bthrow

camp
In certain matchups, yes, its a good choice. Against the characters that you'll run into the most (fox/falco/marth), no, i wouldn't recommend it. Fox and falco can camp you waaaay better. Fox will also get off a kill vertically before you will. He can also just run to the end and just spam lasers. Same with falco. He can also double shine you for a kill easily there. Its a bad stage against spacies.

Against marth, its not TOO bad, but i dunno...i would pick something else as my first choice. I don't like small spaces against marth. This might be a good stage to take sheik though..I'll have to play here a lot more to generate a better opinion...

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
NEVER CP green greens against fox. When I play fox (my main) green greens is my main counterpick.
The most obvious advantage here is that fox can kill at stupid percentages due to the low ceiling. Even here in the PAL version fox's usmash becomes overpowered on that stage (fox's usmash was weakened significantly in PAL. ive played NTSC aswell and the difference is quite big). It must be disgusting for you NTSC players.
standing on those things on the far left and right side and laser camping is broken, b/c the opponent can pretty much only approach from above, which makes the approach predictable and easily punished.
AND if you haven't broken those box thingies you can shine infinite people on them. Shield attack from above->JC shine out of shield->start waveshine infinite=B-R-O-K-E-N.
Not only that, but it's relatively easy to set up from a shinespike in that position.
If you're playing a fox that might CP that stage you should ban it, imo.
I wouldn't advise it. I would pick larger stages because you need to have a chance to get off a b air. Small stages won't ever allow you to escape your enemy long enough to get off a b air or ever turn around. Big stages allow you to get away and give you more options for teching. Small stages, you're stuck.
Hmm, well I guess you're right. Small stages come with their advantages and disadvantages and vice versa.
Btw, are there any non-neutrals (except green greens when not playing against fox) that are particuarly good for DK, iyo?

HiIH

Smash Lord
BRINSTAR!?!?

Actually I just love Brinstar for almost any character (most specifically GaW) , especially against spacies. The odd stage setup sucks for lasers, lava ***** fast fallers, it ***** their recovery because they almost HAVE to fire (or risk killing themselves or getting lava combo'd since it's not a solid edge), super close sides get them gimped even more (especially on the left side), lava saves YOU from spikes and shine spikes..... I just love it.

It might hurt DK's recovery... but I dunno

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
How much (if at all) do you think your choice to main DK, a low/mid tier holds you back? Do you think you would be having significantly more success in tournaments had you chosen to main a top or high tier character? Or do you think that the tiers are close enough that you don't suffer too much of a disadvantage by maining a low/mid tier? Meaning, for the most part, you already beat everyone who is worse than you and lose to people who are legitimately better than you, character choice nonwithstanding.

In addition, if you do think playing DK, a low/mid tier does hold you back, what's your opinion on having a secondary for bad matchups? For example, if you played Marth/Peach/Jiggly against Falcos do you think that would be enough to give you (nearly) the same chances at victory as a player of equal skill who uses a top/high tier?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
DK on the current "official" tier list is very low.

On M2K's very accurate and well informed tier list DK was upper middle. Where he rightfully belongs. He is not really a hold back.

Bum is always the example. Even PMK traveling to our tournaments or placing in his.

otg

Smash Master
DK on the current "official" tier list is very low.

On M2K's very accurate and well informed tier list DK was upper middle. Where he rightfully belongs. He is not really a hold back.

Bum is always the example. Even PMK traveling to our tournaments or placing in his.
Agreed, DK's placement on M2k's tiers seems right. He's a very strong character who can turn around his bad fortune instantly with a grab or Uair, and up until recently was very underrated.

Oh, and Giant Punch (BFDD) is top tier.

Protip:

When Donkey Kong is Blue he is a full tier higher than the other DKs.

drug_duck

Smash Rookie
Blue DK is all yours. I use Green DK. doesn't pkmvodka use black? and Bum use brown? not too sure on that, alls i know is that green DK is mine. lol
It's mine as well but I'm just a random nob in here..

So Mexican, what do they say about green Donkeys over there? Everyone I'm smashing with is just upset by green apes and they all consider him ugly... Jerks lol

otg

Smash Master
Alright here is the 'Legend of Blue DKs (phonetically 'deeks') '. The Dk's are a graceful and peaceful race. They all live under Blue Dk's law for you see he is the strongest DKs. Why? His arms are stronger after years of underwater training, and as a result he can throw and monkey copter better than the rest of the DK's.

Red DK punches harder, Brown DK is just your average banana hunting chum, green dk is stoner/sickly dks, and the strangest one of all is Black Dks... the betrayer. You see, Betrayer DKs is the only one who can stand up to Blue Dk's... but only when the other kongs align behind him. One day the two went head to head, but in the end Blue Dk's BFDD (donkey punch/big floppy donkey ****) proved to be the mightiest. Since that day, Blue Dk's has continued his quest to find his bananas. So let it be known: Blue DK = Top tirez.

I wish the actual creator of this story would come and give his rendition as it is far superior to mine. And yes I know that just because he's Blue doesn't make him better than the other DKs.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Which way should I DI the knee? I usually go up and towards which seems to give a better angle than straight up, but it's nothing like in the videos of pros who go at like... a forty-five degree angle.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I dunno, straight up doesn't seem to do much, but I'll give it a shot.

Are you really supposed to keep DI'ing until the momentum stops? I thought DI only affected your initial trajectory?

phish-it

Smash Champion
Not DI'ing from getting hit, but DI'ing your up-B to avoid getting hit. Try to mix it up, you have complete control of your momentum as long as the Monk keeps spinning.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
For Falcon's Knee and Sheik's Fair, you always DI straight up. These moves are some of the few attacks that actually pretty much send you at a straight horizontal angle, so holding straight upwards is the best way to create a perpendicular relationship between your control stick and the trajectory of the knockback.

Also, check out Bum vs Isai to see how useful Up Bing out of knee combos can be.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
:( that sucks

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask this for awhile:

Do you buffer your light shields (use Z) or do you just lightly press L/R?

I've been in far to many situations where I press L/R too lightly and I end up having no shield come up. This is very annoying when playing against Spaceys and Ganons...

Top Bottom