• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I waited 2-3 days and I didn't use clear coat
That's why. Waiting that amount of time is good *thumbs up*, but not using clear coat is no bueno *thumbs down*.

Spray at least 1 layer of clear coat on it and wait again. It'll definitely loosen up.
That's NOT what she said.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I had plans that would have made such a sick looking controller... but it's a little too hard for me.

I'll have to settle with this:

TurnOneWrath

Smash Cadet
These things look awesome.
So much so that I went to Home Depot on my lunch break and got started.

I used an 8-in-1 Torx screwdriver set (a picture of it is in the first post of the How to Clean the Wii's Laser Thread) to take apart the controller, and that worked really well with the screws (the smallest one fits). I sanded a thin layer of paint off instead of all of it, partly due to being lazy and because I found some Rust-oleum Specialty Plastic Primer, and it worked like a charm.
I have applied the paint layer (Krylon is all I ever use), and left that to dry. It held really well with the plastic primer.
I'm going to put on the clear coat when I get back home.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I've noticed a lot of controllers in the OP seem to have a second control stick rather than a c-stick. Is there a reason for this?
most people do it for show.

I actually like the way the joy stick feels as opposed to the c stick.

more grip, easier to flick cuz its bigger, and some people find it more natural feeling coming off playing ps3 or xbox ciz the sticks are the same size

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice

more grip, easier to flick cuz its bigger, and some people find it more natural feeling coming off playing ps3 or xbox ciz the sticks are the same size
Interesting to see it from this point of view :)

I use two C-Sticks because it's much easier to pull off tilts and otherwise complicated maneuvers.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Anyways, lets say I wanted to do multiple colors through the use of stencils. I know I start from the bottom color and go up, but should I be doing all the coats of one color before moving onto the next, and should I wait for the first color to dry before moving on?

-DD

Shök

Smash Champion
Anyways, lets say I wanted to do multiple colors through the use of stencils. I know I start from the bottom color and go up, but should I be doing all the coats of one color before moving onto the next, and should I wait for the first color to dry before moving on?

-DD
yea finish off the coats of each color first

then move on

wait like a day
^

Yeah. Wait, like, I day. You don't want your paint to run. Also, since you're going to be having more coats than usual, try to not make each coat too thick. o:

Also...

yea it doesnt

but its way easier

easy>hard
Doesn't mean it's better.
Melee > Brawl.

-DD
that doesnt count

I lol'd.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
So I'm looking at making a Holiday controller to celebrate Christmahanakwanzika.

...No idea where to begin.

Help me brainstorm?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
None at all. I have virtually all colors at the house though because of my spraypaint art hobby.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
so does it feel texturally different? I don't understand why it matters if it bonds or not.

what would make u choose 1 paint over the other

Shök

Smash Champion
None at all. I have virtually all colors at the house though because of my spraypaint art hobby.
Oic. o:

so does it feel texturally different? I don't understand why it matters if it bonds or not.

what would make u choose 1 paint over the other
It feels a little better. Since it bonds to the plastic, you don't have to use Primer.

And, what do you mean?

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
What about painting a controller to look like a Yoshi egg with black buttons and whatnot? Like what should I use to keep the white paint off of parts I want to stay green? I'm gonna put a name on it too, but I have to print it out, I should be able to manage that part though.

And about the buttons, would it be possible to make the buttons (or the part around them) light up as I press them? And probably have the control and c stick always on. I wanna use green LEDs but idk if it's possible or how I can even go about doing that.

Any place to buy clear, silver, or black buttons? I can't find anywhere...

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
What about painting a controller to look like a Yoshi egg with black buttons and whatnot? Like what should I use to keep the white paint off of parts I want to stay green? I'm gonna put a name on it too, but I have to print it out, I should be able to manage that part though.
Layers. And some heavy paper that's easy to peel so you can put green spots on the controller.

If I'm imagining this right, your controller is going to have a base color of white with green spots around, and your buttons are going to be black? If so, you can sand, prime, color, and clear coat the buttons.

And about the buttons, would it be possible to make the buttons (or the part around them) light up as I press them? And probably have the control and c stick always on. I wanna use green LEDs but idk if it's possible or how I can even go about doing that.
If you're going LEDs, I'm not sure of any company that make transparent/translucent parts. If you found a company locally, you can have them mold the part and then make a button out of it to your desire, but that might be a bit expensive...

There's not much space to make a part light up, even if you just wanted the space between the button to light up.
Correction: I just picked up a spare case I have lying around, and there's no space to make it work because the case goes flush with the rubber contacts.

Your idea of LEDs lighting up when a button is pressed is very possible though.

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
There's not much space to make a part light up, even if you just wanted the space between the button to light up.
Correction: I just picked up a spare case I have lying around, and there's no space to make it work because the case goes flush with the rubber contacts.

Your idea of LEDs lighting up when a button is pressed is very possible though.
So it's possible but there's no way?
Aww... ._.

Oh well, maybe there's some other way...

At least I can make huevoyoshi's Jebus Day present. :p

Thanks.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I can imagine if you get a mold of the buttons, you're able to clone an acrylic/plastic piece of it and stick the LED right inside. Wires are thin, so it's very possible.

But without actually making transparent/translucent buttons, it's not possible.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Thanks for clearing that up. I personally prefer the Cstick for the Cstick and the control stick for the control stick as the control stick has better grip and is therefore good for control, while the Cstick is more easily smashable with the side of my thumb, meaning I don't have to move as far from the buttons and don't harm my right thumb in the way I do my left.

I guess it is just personal prefferance though.

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
I can imagine if you get a mold of the buttons, you're able to clone an acrylic/plastic piece of it and stick the LED right inside. Wires are thin, so it's very possible.

But without actually making transparent/translucent buttons, it's not possible.
That's what I was thinking, or if I really want silver buttons (green, black, and silver ftw!), then maybe I could cut out window-like things.

But if I could get it right either way and everything was prepared to become all shiny and awesome, how would I set everything up? I have a bit of an idea but I haven't really worked on too many things like this before.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Like what do you mean? How to start it?

Also, I use a Cstick with the rubber ripped off for my control stick. I feel I have more control when it's aprtly digging into my thumb. I can do tilts much easier.

Top Bottom