• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
OK gotcha, thanks. I just finished painting it, but there are some very small bumps in some parts of the controller, possibly air bubbles or just uneven painting. How do I get rid of those to achieve a consistent smoothness? Sorry I can't post links to pictures since I don't have 10 posts
Thats probably because you painted too heavy of coats. Sand the bumps off VERY LIGHTLY with 600+ grit. Then, paint over it again, light coats this time.

Viking

Smash Rookie
My white controller is getting pretty dirty i try to keep it real clean but it doesn't work out as much lol. Im gonna post again when i finish painting my controller.

Hibernian99

Smash Cadet
Could anybody help me? I painted my controller white and it looks pretty sweet but it's not very shiny and also it feels gritty how can I fix this?

GCS Gaming Customs

Could anybody help me? I painted my controller white and it looks pretty sweet but it's not very shiny and also it feels gritty how can I fix this?
You need to buy krylon fusion clear coat, wait until its not humid (under 50%) then apply 2 light coats (waiting 10 min between coats) and finish it with 1 heavier coat (wait about 20 min before doing this). Don't put it together for 24 hours.

If you follow these directions, it will turn out great!

Last edited:

Hibernian99

Smash Cadet
You need to buy krylon fusion clear coat, wait until its not humid (under 50%) then apply 2 light coats (waiting 10 min between coats) and finish it with 1 heavier coat (wait about 20 min before doing this). Don't put it together for 24 hours.

If you follow these directions, it will turn out great!
Ok thanks!!!

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
So I just finished putting in the last coating yesterday, not sure if I put in the right amount since the red color came out a bit pale.

Semi-related, I don't think it needs to have its own topic.
Has anyone tried doing a transplant on the Analog Sticks modules? I'd like to hear your insights if that's cool with you.
I'm short on the Analog Stick modules, for which all I have are PS2 analogs. I'm not sure if the PS2 ones are compatible at all but I'll try to post a picture once I get back home.

GCS Gaming Customs

So I just finished putting in the last coating yesterday, not sure if I put in the right amount since the red color came out a bit pale.

Semi-related, I don't think it needs to have its own topic.
Has anyone tried doing a transplant on the Analog Sticks modules? I'd like to hear your insights if that's cool with you.
I'm short on the Analog Stick modules, for which all I have are PS2 analogs. I'm not sure if the PS2 ones are compatible at all but I'll try to post a picture once I get back home.
The PS3 sticks I sell here are compatible without any potentiometer replacement (a little sanding of the plastic knob on the pot at the most, usually the work without any sanding) : http://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com/products/7721187-colored-ps3-analog-stick-1pc
Also, PS2 work, if you are willing to sand the plastic knob of the pot, you should be able to fit it in. I would recommend a dremmel to speed up the process.

GCS Gaming Customs

Another question, how would I go about painting letters on my controller. Thanks!!!
If you are painting big letters, take small scissors or an exacto knife to cut the letter out of masking tape. Paint the color you want the letters to be, put the tape on, paint over it a different color, remove the tape, clear it. Otherwise, you need to buy some sort of decals, or draw it on.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Well painting buttons seems to be more work than its worth.:ohwell:

But
I'd really, really like some black face buttons...
Does anyone know where I could order some custom ones?

Joewizard100

Smash Rookie
Hey I got a problem, I spray painted my controller and left it 24 hours or 48 hours, (probably more) but after a while I wrapped the cord around the controller and left it like that for say a week. I unwrapped it and it was sticking to the controller and left marks where it was wrapped up. Why is this happening?

GCS Gaming Customs

Hey I got a problem, I spray painted my controller and left it 24 hours or 48 hours, (probably more) but after a while I wrapped the cord around the controller and left it like that for say a week. I unwrapped it and it was sticking to the controller and left marks where it was wrapped up. Why is this happening?
Because its spray paint and you just applied a ton of force onto the paint that indented into the paint over the course of a week. Avoid wrapping your controller chord up, wrap it around itself.

TheKobanator

Smash Rookie
Well, here she is.

http://imgur.com/I9GuBSS

http://imgur.com/9LLkpfu

I sanded it way too hard, and with a 60 grit at that. I beat the hell out of her. The buttons are purely for athletics, I hate the way they feel. Luckily had some replacements lying around. Definitely would not recommend painting the buttons, unless its Start or Z. Other than that I love it (and the spotty paint job where the colors meet)! Used 2 coats of primer, 4 of color and clear coat. Maybe do a a few more coats of the gloss for it to feel extra nice and longevity. I'd say the most important thing to remember is to not drench the thing in paint and be a healthy distance away.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I used Krylon spray paint and primer, stuff is pretty legit, would recommend.

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
This is an awesome guide! :D I'm certainly going to try it out!

I've been thinking of making a Captain Falcon inspired controller. The painting method will certainly work for the case and the button, but I was also thinking of painting Falcon's crest onto the bit above the start button. Is there any techniques that would be best suited to painting this crest onto the controller? Thanks in advance :)

ThaDifference

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know how to add decals?
Is there any techniques that would be best suited to painting this crest onto the controller?
Here's the process I prefer when painting special decals:
1) Paint whole controller the color of decal (or one color of decal if it's multiple colors)
2) Cut out the shape of the parts of the decal you want to stay that color using masking tape (the blue kind is preferred) and place on controller
3) Paint rest of controller another color
4) Repeat until done

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Here's the process I prefer when painting special decals:
1) Paint whole controller the color of decal (or one color of decal if it's multiple colors)
2) Cut out the shape of the parts of the decal you want to stay that color using masking tape (the blue kind is preferred) and place on controller
3) Paint rest of controller another color
4) Repeat until done
That's a great idea! I was worried if I tried to paint it on separately I'd do a poor job xD

Thanks very much, and if/ when I get the courage to pull apart one of my Gamecube controllers and get painting, I'll be sure to post a pic of the results! :p

ThaDifference

Smash Rookie
Additionally, you could also do the reverse where you paint the controller itself first and then paint on decals, but that requires a steadier hand and you're more likely to mess up imo

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Additionally, you could also do the reverse where you paint the controller itself first and then paint on decals, but that requires a steadier hand and you're more likely to mess up imo
Yeah, I haven't the steadiest hand now :p I reckon the first way would save me the least frustration! Lol

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
So I'm thinking about buying a new white controller with a plan to eventually paint it red (I've always wanted a red one), that being said I am unsure what to do about the cord as it is also white, Ideally I'd love to have that be red too, but I'm getting the feeling paint wont stay on that unless it was some kind of special flexible paint. Should I get the new black ones instead?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I've talked to GCS already about this in a private conversation but I'd prefer a second opinion.
I have a nice little limited edition clear controller. I want to install 4 or so LED's.

2 in the handles of the controller where there's a lot of space. These will activate when rumble is active.
1-2 in the bottom center of the controller, and potentially 1-2 on top of the controller. These will normally be active.

I'm lost on what materials I specifically should use, or what wires to connect where.
I'm going to be using either Red or Purple for the always on, and White or Green for the rumble ones.

Do I use 47 ohm resistors for all 4? Does it change depending on how many LED's or which color LED I use? What wire would you recommend for it? and What would you recommend for use to protect the wires (duct tape, etc..) ?

I'm excited for this to be my first controller mod done myself besides removing rumble paks before, so all the help I can get is appreciated.

If anyone wants to whip up a visual representation of how it would work, that would also help a whole lot.

GCS lathered on wayyy too much super glue for me to even have a clue what's going on, and this is as far as I've gotten:

SmashHerSideways

Smash Rookie
I found a plastic spray paint that says there is no need for primer or top coat, any experience with this? It says it has all of this mixed in one.

foxygrandpa182

Smash Rookie
I have an artsy sort of question considering I have no idea about how spraypaint works. How could I get a lightning sort of effect on my controller?

I was thinking paint it all blue lightning colored, let it dry, then spraypaint white or black over that and "cut" a lightning effect out of the fresh layer to reveal the blue, like a scratchboard. Would this work, or is there an easier way? Please help

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
How the heck do you paint the c-stick? The color scheme I want really doesn't work with yellow, and I see a few of the posted controllers have painted c-sticks.

jedisquidward

Smash Rookie
NNID
jedisquidward
3DS FC
4725-8216-3276
A few questions.
1. Can this guide be applied to other controllers, specifically the Wii U Pro Controller?
2. What if I wanted to only paint part of a button. (Assume the A button on the GC controller has no indent) Say, if I wanted to paint a circle in the middle of the GC A button but leave the rest alone. Would this be possible?
3. Does the Gamecube's C Stick fit in the Wii U Pro Controller? And for that matter, does the regular GC stick fit either?

Last edited:

Smog

Smash Journeyman
So I was applying primer to the sanded controller (I used 400 grade), and like an idiot forgot to shake the can. I just ended up shaking the can and spraying over top of the clear stuff. Eventually only part of the controller dried and the middle part stayed gooey. I wiped away the stuff that wouldn't dry with a paper towel and applied another coat. I waited for it to dry and now there are some gooey thick spots here and there. What do I do?

Also how should I go about only spray painting the weird peanut shaped parts of the controller with the buttons and analog sticks. Should I tape put tape on all of the rest of the controller?

Last edited:

Sempai

Smash Ace
Ive heard this paint tends to wear after a few months, a friend described it as looking like a cow.

Can anyone verify this?

Several thin coats of primer/paint and varnish were used apparently.

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer
Some additional things you might want to put on the guide.

Wet sand with 1000 grit sand paper after you apply your clear coat. (after its been cured for 24 hours)

Apply some buffing compound such as meguiare's ultimate compound and buff the surfaces really well.

If you mess up your base coat you could get away with wet sanding it and applying more coats of color. However mistakes like runs, and wrinkles or whatever should be avoided and fixed before clear coat anyways.

Last edited:

Sempai

Smash Ace
Some additional things you might want to put on the guide.

Wet sand with 1000 grit sand paper after you apply your clear coat. (after its been cured for 24 hours)

Apply some buffing compound such as meguiare's ultimate compound and buff the surfaces really well.

If you mess up your base coat you could get away with wet sanding it and applying more coats of color. However mistakes like runs, and wrinkles or whatever should be avoided and fixed before clear coat anyways.

When it comes to sand paper, whats the ideal grit count for all the steps?

Like 600 before primer and 1000 between all coats or?

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer
When it comes to sand paper, whats the ideal grit count for all the steps?

Like 600 before primer and 1000 between all coats or?
I use 220 grit to take off the paint. 400 after taking most of the paint off. use a wet dry 1000 grit sand paper if you wanna smooth out coats. Always apply new coats after 20 minutes and between 1 hour. If you miss your coat you have to wait 24 hours before you can put a new coat on.

Sempai

Smash Ace
I use 220 grit to take off the paint. 400 after taking most of the paint off. use a wet dry 1000 grit sand paper if you wanna smooth out coats. Always apply new coats after 20 minutes and between 1 hour. If you miss your coat you have to wait 24 hours before you can put a new coat on.
What do u mean miss your coat? Do you sand between every coat, as in 20 minutes after each one?

Top Bottom