• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

Seany C.

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to replace the plastic end piece of the cord?
e.g. to put a colored piece on a white controller cord?

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Is there a way to replace the plastic end piece of the cord?
e.g. to put a colored piece on a white controller cord?
Yea, just cut a small hole in a plastic ziploc bag, stick your board in there, and stick the chord and end piece out of the board (only put about 6-8 cm of it out) Then tape the chord. All you got to do from here is paint, but make sure that the piece doesn't move with how it is placed and use very light coats (and less of em) to avoid dripping.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Dude nice. I like how it has like a foggy outline to it, perfect for Haunter.

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
Hey! I just started this whole process and I have the first coat of primer down now. When I start adding the coats of paint, do you recommend waiting under an hour in between coats or waiting for the paint to fully dry (24+ hours)? I wonder which will turn out better. I was going to go with the former, but I didn't want the paint to not be able to dry properly as a result!

GCS Gaming Customs

wait 30-60 min between coats (at the most). For clear coat, recoat every 5 minutes, and def use clear if you weren't planning on it already (I suggest krylon fusion). Make sure you apply light coats, but cover the whole controller through a coat.

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
wait 30-60 min between coats (at the most). For clear coat, recoat every 5 minutes, and def use clear if you weren't planning on it already (I suggest krylon fusion). Make sure you apply light coats, but cover the whole controller through a coat.
Cool cool! It's turning out great so far, but I ended up getting the regular Krylon Colormaster flat clear coat. If I already have two coats of plastic primer and four coats of paint on, does it matter if it's a plastic clear coat?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
How many coats of clear coat would be good? Also, how long does it take to dry?

Last edited:

GCS Gaming Customs

3-4 LIGHT coats, wait 5-10min between recoats (wait longer if you notice it starting to become milky colored), wait a FULL Day for curing, it is dry to touch in about an hour usually.

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I just finished mine up, but I'm going to wait a day or two before putting it back together. I ended up using a matte clear coat to counteract the glossy paint; I didn't want my controller to be TOO shiny! The texture is a bit too dry now, though. Would it be safe to put a layer or two of a glossier clear coat on there after the fact?

GCS Gaming Customs

Yea, Just wait a full day or whatever it says on the can before recoating. Also make sure you use a wet cloth with soap to brush off any dirt and oil that would have gotten on it over the course of a day. I recommend a light coat first, then a slightly heavier coat for a second and final coat.

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
Yea, Just wait a full day or whatever it says on the can before recoating. Also make sure you use a wet cloth with soap to brush off any dirt and oil that would have gotten on it over the course of a day. I recommend a light coat first, then a slightly heavier coat for a second and final coat.
Awesome! I was looking at your shop...what clear coat did you use on the sky blue/orange controller? That finish looks great and seems like what I wanna go for on mine.

http://dzasv7x7a867v.cloudfront.net/product_photos/8858329/Orange_3AEmerald_20Classic_original.JPG

Last edited:

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
Alright, it's all done! The flat clear coat was a bit too flat for my taste so I added on about three layers of satin clear coat to make it a tad smoother. I had a few tiny snags along the way, but careful sanding and patience definitely paid off!

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
Okay ya'll! So, after a day of heavy use, I have encountered an issue. After putting the layers of clear coat on, I let this controller sit for a week before use. It was definitely very dry to the touch, but after my warm (and sometims sweaty) hands used it at a tourney all day, the top layers of clear coat got quite tacky/sticky, then all the dirt and grime from my hands got like, embedded into the controller. You can scrape it off but I'm afraid that I'm eating away at my clear coat. What happened? I put about five light layers on, waiting under 10 minutes in between each coat.

Last edited:

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
That is unfortunately a reality of having a painted shell. I don't know what kind of clear coat you're using, but higher quality paints will have fewer issues than cheaper paints. Automotive touchup paints are nearly impervious in this regard.

The solution to this problem for the paint you have is to keep a soft, lint-free cotton terry cloth with you and frequently wipe your controller down to prevent the oils from your hands from building up. This will keep your shell looking new for a lot longer, and avoid having to retouch it, at least not as frequently depending on how corrosive your sweat can be.

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
That is unfortunately a reality of having a painted shell. I don't know what kind of clear coat you're using, but higher quality paints will have fewer issues than cheaper paints. Automotive touchup paints are nearly impervious in this regard.

The solution to this problem for the paint you have is to keep a soft, lint-free cotton terry cloth with you and frequently wipe your controller down to prevent the oils from your hands from building up. This will keep your shell looking new for a lot longer, and avoid having to retouch it, at least not as frequently depending on how corrosive your sweat can be.
Ah, I see! I might try sanding the clear coat down and adding some automotive grade stuff to it. If I do, I'll post my findings here!

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I really want to find a way to paint my c-stick red without having to sand it down or anything. I know it's rubber so it makes it hard to paint, but maybe there's a way to dye it red or something?

GCS Gaming Customs

You got to rip off the rubber and sand it down then paint it

But the paint is likely to chip anyways since the stick is jammed so much :/

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Is there a coat that the Original one uses for a spray-painted one? I'm new to this and i just Spray-painted one with Krylon Cherry Red paint.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
You got to rip off the rubber and sand it down then paint it

But the paint is likely to chip anyways since the stick is jammed so much :/
sigh... I just tries painting one of my controllers 4 days ago and failed miserably, I had no clue what I was doing and put on like a billion coats of primer, let it dry then put on a billion coats of paint lol. When it finished there were some tiny drippy areas but they we minuscule but the problem was the paint was on so ****ing thick that EVERYTHING scratched it and made marks. Also when I play my hands never get very sweaty at all but when I played for about an hour with the controller the paint started getting pushed to the side and rubbing off on my hands. It is just overall incredibly ****ty, soo... do I post it to show what can happen if you don't know what you are doing? Another mistake I made was that I didn't do a clear coat after the paint. Also for future referendum is there a specific spray paint to use because I feel as if my red krylon spray paint weathered worse than my generic black.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
Also I'm a bit skeptical about buying paint and primer all in one fusion things Krylon makes for my next go at controller painting. Do you think it would work? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YUDZ6/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Also I'm a bit skeptical about buying paint and primer all in one fusion things Krylon makes for my next go at controller painting. Do you think it would work?
If you want extremely high quality paint, you're going to have to buy automotive paint. With the issues you had before of not knowing what to do because you've clearly never spray painted anything before, look up videos. You do VERY light coats, normally doing 3-5 coats should be enough for a controller.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
If you want extremely high quality paint, you're going to have to buy automotive paint. With the issues you had before of not knowing what to do because you've clearly never spray painted anything before, look up videos. You do VERY light coats, normally doing 3-5 coats should be enough for a controller.
Never spray painted anything lol.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
Ah got the plastic coat, now I just need to find a way to remove the ****ed up paint job, any suggestions that wouldn't involve me having to bother my parents to use their cars, like using household norms like nail polish remover and ****. Would that work? I was thinking of just mixing dish soap and nail polish remover and using that to remove it. Or maybe steel wool or some **** to just scrape it of.

Raveks

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Just wanted to post my controller and see what people think, turned out pretty well for a first try and i'm happy with it. :)

Thanks for the awesome guide !

gccontroller.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom