• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Melee Netplay Community Build Is Out Now!

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin
Over the years and beginning in Smash 64, Netplay for Smash has grown steadily. With the birth of Anther's Ladder and other matchmaking platforms, there has never been a better time to get into playing Smash online. While Project M already has a standardized build specifically for Netplay, Melee players have to tweak certain settings so as to not desync with each other.

For the past nine months, Myougi and her team have been working on a more functional and feature filled version of Melee designed for Netplay. With the Melee Netplay Community Build, playing the game online would simply be the matter of finding an opponent and heading right into the match.

Stability, the number one goal during the project, is always taken into account before adding anything. In fact, Fountain Of Dreams's background elements are disabled in order to achieve said stability all throughout the build. Only the most optimal and essential of features are added but this doesn't mean that they aren't adding a bit of flavor to it.

Boasting not only a new Electric blue themed Character Selection Screen, MNCB also features an edited Stage Selection Screen with fully functional Stage Striking and a redesigned Main Menu to fit in with the motif. Alongside Stage Striking, many stages have been edited to become competitively viable. New stages range from maps such as Fourside-Smashville, Fourside with the Smashville layout to Skyrule Temple, a modified version of Hyrule Temple with a layout similar to Skyloft in Project M.

Other additions include many quality of life improvements. This includes having features like Salty Runbacks, a simple Debug mode, 8 character name tags, being able to use the same color as your opponent and more. Ever hated how matches always go to sudden death if both players are at the same stock by time the timer runs out? The build automatically makes the player with the lower percentage win.

The best part about this is that it's completely tournament-legal. It doesn't add anything intrusive and is relatively simple and quick to install. The moment the ISO is booted up, everything is unlocked right away. Every time the build is ran, it'll go off without a hitch. Since it basically goes over an ISO, TOs using DIOS-MIOS or Nintendont can simply patch the ISOs they use and have business go on as usual, albeit enhanced.

MNCB is a great blessing to the Netplay community as well as to the Melee scene overall. Interested in it? Potential users can download it on it's official thread. For future announcements you can either follow the official thread linked beforehand or Myougi on Twitter.

---​

PopiPenguin is hyped for MNCB this since it means he can finally play Netplay with his friends easily since it's hard to coordinate between them. Share your thoughts about this article as well as ideas for future ones by following him on Twitter.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
This is so hype. Especially the lagless FOD. That'll be great for people who have weak computers.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Man, the little things they do to make Melee Netplay all the more better. I like it! I'll gladly appreciate all this once I get a good computer.

StR!p

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlayerTwix
3DS FC
4871-3864-3022
I'm really sad right now, my computer is very bad and this is soo good, just sad...

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
This is a reminder that even if you can't use this for netplay this will run perfectly fine on consoles. :3

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
this looks amazing! is there a PAL release?

Also-that character select looks awesome. If there is a PAL version of this, or even PAL character toggles i want an iso of this!!

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
!mm mw who wants some

This is great news, I'll definitely look into it and this could really help get players into Melee netplay. Makes everyone's life easier too!

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I hope this gets approved as the recommended Netplay ISO. It functions great and will only get better in the future! Pretty hyped to see what is brought to the table next in addition to the already awesome features.

paxinchristo

Smash Ace
How good does my computer need to be to run this? I would love to be able to play online Melee (and more Melee in general), but I don't know if my computer can handle it.

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
I have a week computer... Whenever I play the Melee ISO it lags and I can only play it at 1.5 speed on practice mode, and it still lags. So if I download this will my computer be able to handle it?

Kote

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know how bad the input lag is with computer moniters? I don't wanna figure it out if its going to be like playing on a flatscreen.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
What is that blue Pokemon Stadium next to the standard green one in the stage select screen?

Doval

Smash Lord
This is so hype. Especially the lagless FOD. That'll be great for people who have weak computers.
Man, the little things they do to make Melee Netplay all the more better. I like it! I'll gladly appreciate all this once I get a good computer.
I'm really sad right now, my computer is very bad and this is soo good, just sad...
why did dolphin have to stop working correctly now?
How good does my computer need to be to run this? I would love to be able to play online Melee (and more Melee in general), but I don't know if my computer can handle it.
I have a week computer... Whenever I play the Melee ISO it lags and I can only play it at 1.5 speed on practice mode, and it still lags. So if I download this will my computer be able to handle it?
Do I need any Roms or Emulators to play this?
Step 1: Install Homebrew Channel on your Wii (or Wii U's virtual Wii)
Step 2: Put Nintendont and the Melee ISO on your SD card
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Why play on an emulator when you can play the real thing?

Does anybody know how bad the input lag is with computer moniters? I don't wanna figure it out if its going to be like playing on a flatscreen.
Generally around 1 frame, assuming it doesn't have to do any scaling.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I hope Anther adds this to Smashladder in some fashion. Rad as ****.

Last edited:

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
So you can play netplay on a console with barely any lag and input lag?

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
So you can play netplay on a console with barely any lag and input lag?
On a PC.

Dolphin emulator netplay build 6554 - Wii U adapter native support
MNCB - designed for performance in netplay

Works together really nicely.

Top Bottom