1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Mega Man' started by 鉄腕アトム, Jun 23, 2012.

1. 鉄腕アトム

鉄腕アトム Earth's Mightiest Robot

• Premium
    Nintendo Network ID:
    astarisborn1994

Update: The thread is currently being remade into a general Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and SSB 3DS discussion thread. Much more will come later.

After years of massive fan demand to get Mega Man into a Super Smash Bros. game along with all the turmoil surrounding the Blue Bomber in the past few years, Mega Man finally makes his debut in Super Smash Bros. Wii-U and 3DS! Now the fans have the opportunity to pit Mega Man against the likes of Mario, Pit and Donkey Kong in a game as Mega Man re-unites with them once again! We now present to you...
    [​IMG]
    As of Mega Man's confirmation, not only does Mega Man gets a thread dedicated to supporting his inclusion, but also an entire sub-forum. Feel free to use this thread and all the available threads to discuss Mega Man or even make a topic if you find nothing that relates to the topic at hand.
    Mega Man and Super Smash Bros. Wii_U and 3DS Information:
    Now that Mega Man is in, a variety of information in regards to him and Smash will be shared with the community. If you have something that you need to know in regards to Mega Man and Smash, it should be down here:
    Smash Wii-U and 3DS Dojo - The Smash Bros. Dojo for the game.
    Mega Man's Page on the Dojo - Self-explanatory.
    Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii-U Mega Man Joins the Battle! - Mega Man confirmed to be in Super Smash Bros. Wii-U and 3DS. Many tears of joy were shed on this day.
    Thoughts, Musings, and Other Ponderings on Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. - Lots of neat stuff here. Goes into depth about Mega Man's appearance as well as mentions Capcom's collaboration with Nintendo in regards to the game and that both sides made it possible.
    Namco Bandai Characters Receive No Priority for Super Smash Bros. - Said that just because the game is being developed by Namco and Sakurai doesn't mean that they characters receive special priority. Goes off to explain that Mega Man was a very special arrangement and that third-parties have to deal with a ton of licensing mess in order to make a reality.
    Wii U & Nintendo 3DS Developer Direct - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii-U @E3 2013 - Sakurai goes over Mega Man (also mentions Villager and confirms Wii Fit Trainer). Starts at when you click the link and ends at 6:04 (when he goes to discuss Wii Fit Trainer).
    New Super Smash Bros. removes tripping; game speed between Brawl and Melee - Not much in regards to Mega Man here, but a good read nonetheless. Although Sakurai did mention that videos in regards to the trailer will be shown from the beginning in the game since everyone knows of the video on the Internet.
    Don't Expect A Lot Of Third-Parties In The Next Smash Bros. - Sakurai said to not expect a lot of third-parties, considering Mega Man a "special case". Sakurai also hints that due to possible time constraints, some characters may be "reduced to a certain degree".
    Super Smash Bros. director says character selection is stressful 'almost to the brink of death' - Sakurai said that Mega Man was added due to the uniqueness that he possessed and that he was the most wanted guest after Sonic. Mentioned that Capcom was very favorable to the idea of Mega Man being in the game.
    Pictures:
    ---​

Surprisingly, I'm not the first OP.
    People who recently come across this thread will know that I am the OP, but I am not the first one. Before me, there was another person who ran the thread, who was KishSquared. Not too much was done to the thread with him in the reign, but he deserves credit for the creation of the thread, in which he ran from June 23rd, 2012 to April 14th, 2013. And so in his honor, I have saved his post below for all that is curious.

Attached Files:

• #1.jpg
      #1.jpg
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
  2. PsychoIncarnate

PsychoIncarnate Smash Obsessed

3DS Friend Code:
    4554-0155-5885
    Nintendo Network ID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    I think for the most popular 3rd party character thread you should put some more information and have a more optimistic title.

Edit: I should clarify that when this thread was first created, the OP was someone else and they have a VERY pessimistic view on Mega Man's inclusion in Smash
  3. Opossum

Opossum Chrom DLC Supporter

• Back Roomer
    3DS Friend Code:
    4742-4911-3431

I think Mega Man will be in. He's still heavily requested. In fact, he's the most requested 3rd party in the US and Japan, iirc. I say he's a safe bet.
  4. Arcadenik

Arcadenik Smash Hero

This is his destiny!

[​IMG]
  5. KishSquared

KishSquared Smash Master

1. More information about a game that hasn't even begun production? Okay...
    2. The optimism is in the !? You clearly missed it

<3
  6. PsychoIncarnate

3DS Friend Code:
    4554-0155-5885
    Nintendo Network ID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    More information about Megaman himself. And "Is there a chance!?" sounds like whimpering
  7. KishSquared

KishSquared Smash Master

8. PsychoIncarnate

3DS Friend Code:
    4554-0155-5885
    Nintendo Network ID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    Something like: "Rock and Roll: The Robot Master" Or "Mega Man: Cyborg Boy Hero"

"Mega Man: The Blue Bomber"
  9. Arcadenik

Arcadenik Smash Hero

Or.... "This Is My Destiny! Mega Man for Smash!" :awesome:
  10. Opossum

• Back Roomer
    3DS Friend Code:
    4742-4911-3431

Or "Add Mega Man or I'll be Blue."

Yeah, never mind. I would go for a slightly more optimistic title, though.
  11. Young Horsetail

Young Horsetail Smash Hero

3DS Friend Code:
    2793-0906-0731
    Considering Mega's past events regarding Crapcom, I think the title sounds little fine. We have to be little concerned about will he even be considered.
  12. GTA_Hater_331

GTA_Hater_331 Smash Journeyman

I question whether MegaMan will get in because of Capcom's collapsing reputation in the game industry. If he does, I think his moveset should probably focus mostly on MegaMan 1, 2, 9, and 10.

B: any MegaMan 1 weapon
    >B: Black Hole Bomb.
    ^B: Rush (may be replaced with another weapon)
    vB: Either Triple Blade or Metal Blade

I don't have much else to say, having never played any MegaMan games.
  13. PsychoIncarnate

3DS Friend Code:
    4554-0155-5885
    Nintendo Network ID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    A discussion and a compare/ contrast of Mega Man's various incarnations is also a much needed thing in a Mega Man thread.

The blue Bomber himself, X, etc.
  14. Arcadenik

Arcadenik Smash Hero

You need to play Mega Man 1-10 and Mega Man X 1-8.
  15. ---

3DS Friend Code:
    1719-3728-6991
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Tryphen
    Don't know why everyone is worried about Capcom, Mega still has the most evidence towards his inclusion for a specific 3rd party character (non-specific would probably be someone from NB).

As for a moveset, I'm in support of a weapon switching (DSpecial) or all RM weapon based moveset. His MvC2 moveset should NEVER happen again. Hyper Mega Man is a disgrace. :mad:
  16. KishSquared

KishSquared Smash Master

Megaman should have been a sure-thing for Brawl, yet here we are.

Shrug, I'm cautiously optimistic. But I'll change the title as requested :)
  17. ---

3DS Friend Code:
    1719-3728-6991
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Tryphen
    During Pre-Brawl, as the rumors go, Nintendo was mad at Capcom for porting the supposed to be GC exclusive titles (V. Joe, Resident Evil 4, ect.) to other systems.

Though to be honest, Sonic wasn't planned for Brawl either, and was something that came up at the last second. Mega was by no means a shoe in for Brawl.
  18. Aqua Rock X

Aqua Rock X Smash Ace

Ahh, back here again...it feels so nostalgic! Just like the old Brawl days!

Except now that we're taking steps at the beginning of the event, hopefully our struggle will yield some fruit this time. Now Megaman has the advantage of being the most requested third-party character not yet in Smash. However, the past year hasn't been very gloriful for the ol' blue boy.

And honestly, with all that has happened in the past two years with Megaman and Capcom, I would not be surprised at all if Ryu somehow got in instead.:glare:

Edit: Nice Megaman 8 reference BTW!
  19. Johnknight1

Johnknight1 Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    3540-0575-1486
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Johnknight
    Aqua, I know what that's like. Except now, my other 2 more wanted characters (Toon Link and Diddy Kong) are already playable in smash bros games. :cool:

NOW IT'S TIME TO GO ALL OUT ON FREAKING MEGA MAN!!! YEAAAAHHHH!!!! :shades:

But yeah, it would be sweet if Mega Man (classic) was playable (maybe with an X outfit for Mega Man for an awesome reference). Mega Man, more than any other 3rd party character (well, Sonic and Snake excluded) just seems like he would just so easily "fit" into smash bros. It would be a hand and glove fit.

With Sonic out of the way, the struggles for a new 3rd party in smash should has most smash fans focused on Mega Man. And you know what=??? To me Mega Man is a shoe-in because of that, and the long and great history he has on Nintendo consoles. I would dare to say that in the 80's/90's he was the most recognizable Nintendo 3rd party character!

Also, a Mega Man "joins the smash" introduction video to Smash WiiU and 3DS like the one in Mega Man 8 would be awesome! :)
  20. Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 Smash Master

• Premium
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Guybrush20X6
    I have hight hopes for Megs but it seems Capcom is loosing it's reputation and common sense. They've lost the guys who made Resi and Megaman and they're apparently trying to kill Ono though overwork. If I had infinite cash the first thing I'd do is buy up Capcom and put them back on track.
  21. Johnknight1

Johnknight1 Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    3540-0575-1486
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Johnknight
    @ Guybrush (and everyone else too, kinda sorta)
    Mega Man in smash is pretty much free publicity for Capcom, especially if they could get Assist Trophies, stickers, and trophies of their other franchises' characters (mostly Street Fighter and Resident Evil, on top of all the Mega Man series).

It would also help hype up Mega Man and raise awareness for Mega Man if Capcom was about to make several Mega Man titles, or they were about to launch Mega Man into a new direction.
  22. Guybrush20X6

• Premium
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Guybrush20X6
    I've been thinking about MM's move set

A combo: tow punches and a pistol whip with Mega Buster
    Dash: Slide kick (Charge Man's attack)

B: Mega Buster
    Works like Samus's with a few major differences 1. three tiers of power rather than a scale 2. Can move while charging 3. can't store the charge fires when B is let go.

B Side: Beat
    Megaman uses Beat as a homing projectile

B up: Rush Coil
    Like Sonic's spring but Rush stays there in midair and Megaman isn't helpless after wards

B down: Weapon swap
    MEgaman changes his B attack through this cycle
    Mega Buster
    Metal blade
    Thunder beam
    Leaf Shield

Final Smash
    Either

Hyper Mega Buster
    Like his Hyper attack from Marvel vs Capcom
    or

Super Rush Adapter
    From Megaman 7. Give Megaman extra jumps more power and changes his B to A powerful rocket fist attack
  23. Johnknight1

Johnknight1 Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    3540-0575-1486
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Johnknight
    Why in the heck is this thread not super active=??? Do I need to take this over=???

@ Guybrush
    I'd prefer maybe a different side B (Zero's Sword=???), definitely a different up B, and to never hear of Mega Man's MvC's hyper attack referenced ever again! :laugh:

I do love the down B idea, though. Also, if you press B quickly 3 times, the Mega Buster should fire in bursts. That would be a neat and useful feature. :cool:

Also, Guybrush, when you mentioned his dash attack, is that the power slide Mega Man can do=???
  24. PsychoIncarnate

3DS Friend Code:
    4554-0155-5885
    Nintendo Network ID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    It's probably not active because he spelled Mega Man's name wrong
  25. R.O.B.

R.O.B. Smash Master

Nintendo Network ID:
    Takamaru64
  26. Opossum

• Back Roomer
    3DS Friend Code:
    4742-4911-3431

That seems like an interesting and feasible moveset. Then again, I've never played a Mega Man game, so I could be wrong.
  27. asia_catdog_blue

asia_catdog_blue Smash Ace

I still have this.

Weak Attacks: 123: Left Jab, Right Jab, Light Kick

Strong Attacks
    Upward: Strong Uppercut(Medium Punch in MVC)
    Forward: Slash Claw
    Downward: Low Kick

SMASH ATTACKS
    Upward: (Crouching High Kick in MVC)
    Forward: Flame Sword
    Downward: ...Strong Sweep?

Dash Attack: Slide Attack(maybe Charge Kick?)

Aerial Attacks
    Center: Top Spin
    Front: Flame Sword(different animation in the air)
    Back: Drop Kick
    Up: Mega Upper
    Down: Arm Cannon Blast

Special Attacks
    Standard: Mega Buster(with Charge Shot)
    Forward: Super Arrow(can stick to walls and be used as a platform)
    Upward: Rising Uppercut(from Megaman 2: The Power Fighters)
    Downward: Mega Ball

Grapples and Throw Downs
    Uses the Wire Adapter to snatch his enemies to his position.
    Pummel: Punch or Headbutt
    Front: throws them straight or kicks them
    Back: throws them
    Up: tosses them and blasts them straight up
    Down: trows them down and blasts them

Final Smash: Either Super Adapter or Black Hole Bomb
    Thekewlusername likes this.
  28. ---

3DS Friend Code:
    1719-3728-6991
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Tryphen
    Oh god no. Let's leave MvC Mega Man behind us, I've never seen such a waste of moveset potential. :glare:

Mega Man has by far the largest moveset potential out of any character both in and out of Smash due to his countless amount of weapons and abilities, giving him the moveset he had in those games was a terrible waste. And since Smash is a platform fighter, it would be an even bigger waste. And the Eddie gimick was a little silly.

29. Venus of the Desert Bloom

Venus of the Desert Bloom The answer to your question....was yes.

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

One thing I felt would be interesting is that if Mega Man successful KO's an opponent, pressing Down B would allow him to use one of tHe attacks by the KO'd opponent. Mega Man could even change colors to fit that opponent.

:phone:
  30. DakotaBonez

DakotaBonez Smash Lord

please SAKURAI MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    You wouldn't even need to have 50 pallette swaps just 50 different projectiles coming out of his gun!
    Pikmin Go!
    Fireball Go!
    Arrows Go!
    Falcon Punch...go?
  31. 鉄腕アトム

鉄腕アトム Earth's Mightiest Robot

• Premium
    Nintendo Network ID:
    astarisborn1994

Hmm, so it appears that Smash 4 has finally gotten a forum to itself, but I've already said my peace on characters in the Smash Bros. 4 thread that was once on and I don't have much else to say for now. I will make three posts before I return to my hiatus from Smash 4 discussion (which I will leave from once we get a trailer, whenever that'll be). I have made a post on the Zoroark thread earlier, now I will make my second one on this character.

If there is one newcomer I would buy a Smash game for, it is undoubtedly him. Heck, I would buy it if only the "necessary" characters I need to buy the game gets in and he was the only newcomer. I have been hoping that he would show up in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but he missed the cut. Now with Smash 4 on the horizon, I am hoping this will finally be his chance to be in a Smash game. One time is all I am hoping for and I hope this is the game because I do not think I will follow Smash 5.

If you haven't realized already, he is by far my most wanted character. No one else really compares at this point. Of course there are a lot of characters I do support (Mii, Mewtwo, Saki, Krystal, Toad and King K. Rool are some characters I heavily support inclusions of as well), but had I been around during pre-Brawl after Snake's reveal, I would have pushed as hard as possible for Mega Man's inclusion and he is my favorite video game character.

Luckily for us fans, he has a good shot of finally get in. Mega Man is, by far, the most wanted third-party character in the game and I would say he is in the Top Five as well. Of course he has very strong domestic popularity, but he is also decently wanted in Japan, so he has the benefit of international appeal.

Capcom has expressed multiple times that they wanted to see Mega Man in Smash. Ono in March, 2011 stated that he wants Mega Man in above everyone else from Capcom, which is good. Sakurai is also going to be considering Capcom characters and he wants one that people will care about. So far, the only highly requested third-party character is Mega Man.

Mega Man is not being abandoned by Capcom. He is still appearing in games and there is plan for his 25th anniversary. Once those plans are revealed (and they will be big), it will show that Capcom is not dropping the blue bomber yet. Heck, what if the 25th anniversary present to fans is his inclusion in Smash?

Something I want to say about the Namco-Bandai working with Sakurai thing and supporters of a Namco rep are not going to like this, but I doubt it means anything for characters. The influence will come in the game play, but I doubt we will see it expand to other parts as I doubt they are biased enough to push for such content just because they're working with Sakurai. It's the same mistake I made with Victini (when I was a supporter) and I hope Namco supporters realize how little this means for it. The only possible Namco rep as far as I'm concern is Pac-Man and that is literally hinging on if Miyamoto wants to push his favorite character into Smash and considering how Japanese are moderate, that's an unlikely situation.

There are only three third-party newcomers I can see getting in if third-parties do return (which is not a sure thing). Those are Mega Man, Professor Layton, and Pac-Man. We are not going to get all of them in and we probably won't even get two of them. If one of them were to be chosen, it will most likely be Mega Man. There are good reasons why so many support Mega Man and why every other third-party is generally looked down upon. Because Mega Man is the only one that can boast large fan demand and interest from higher up. No other third-party character has that.

I will be posting on this thread actively when we start to get confirmations on characters. Expect me to be on this thread a lot once that comes.

Until my return, might want to look at this; SmashChu's part of the essay on Mega Man.

Don't get me wrong, this guy is awesome and he is very articulate. But he has very strong arguments against third-parties and refuting them will take lots of work. Other arguments against Mega Man are pretty easy to argue (except of course being third-party, but that's an inevitable barrier for any non-Nintendo character to face), but this one will be very challenging.

If the supporters want to show that they can refute any other arguments out there against Mega Man, work on trying to refute this one. Because if the pans out in your favor, then it shows that the fans are articulate and know what they're talking about. Even if it doesn't work, remember that our opinions on characters means as much as dungs and if Sakurai takes anything into account by fans, it's that Mega Man is very popular. Now all there's left to do after all this is see if he can get in.

Stay gold and I wish for the best for everyone. :)
  32. DakotaBonez

DakotaBonez Smash Lord

To the above poster,
    who makes those SSB4 Character Support GIFS?
    And where didja hear Sakurai wants a capcom character?
  33. smashmanx7

smashmanx7 Smash Journeyman

Would anyone besides me much rather than me have megaman from Megaman battle network [​IMG]
  34. Venus of the Desert Bloom

Venus of the Desert Bloom The answer to your question....was yes.

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

The Smash 4 wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl

Additionally, Yoshinori Ono, the producer of Street Fighter and big wig in Capcom commented he'd love to see both Megaman and M. Bison in Smash 4.

http://nintendoeverything.com/65253/which-street-fighter-character-does-ono-want-in-smash-bros/

:phone:
  35. Guybrush20X6

• Premium
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Guybrush20X6
    M. Bison vs Ganondorf would be a fight for the ages buy I'm getting side tracked

Assuming the MM is classic Megs what alt colours would he have?

I'm thinking
    Protoman: Grey and Red
    Bass: Black, White and Gold
    Guts Man: Orange and yellow
    Quint: Green and light green
  36. Johnknight1

Johnknight1 Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    3540-0575-1486
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Johnknight
    @ smashmanx
    Nah, classic all the way. Also, dem collapse tag. ;)

@ SSBF
    SmashChu's argument would be better... if Snake and Sonic weren't in Brawl. :smirk: Plus, again, the point of 3rd party characters is to add characters not like Nintendo characters.

Snake is original in the sense that his back story and his series' story isn't garbage (unlike every Nintendo series [minus Metroid] with playable characters in smash bros.), he is a real tough guy, and he uses moves, techniques, and weapons completely unlike anybody else. I mean seriously, Snake was the most original character in Brawl. I have never seen a fighting game or platform game character play like that.

Sonic, on the other hand, is speedy and yet versatile. We got all kinds of platform characters in smash, but none of them with Sonic's speed and sense of risk and reward. He also has that care-free, arrogant attitude, and also the anti-Mario that Wario wishes he could be. He also has several unique physical traits that are self-evident.

Mega Man fits that billing. Even though he looks like a Nintendo character, the way his games play, the way he plays in his games, and the moves, skills, and powers he acquire are unlike anything Nintendo has.
    He also brings a "flair" that would be unique to smash.

I also think SmashChu overlooks the new audiences Snake and Sonic brought to Brawl, and they were probably the only redeeming thing about Brawl (along with the music), because the online was crap, the story (mode) was crap, and the single-player was a downgrade from Melee.

The only problems 3rd party characters face are legal issues, which is easier the 2nd time around. Now Nintendo has the legal numbers/money split down with Konami and SEGA. Oh, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics series still exists! :laugh: Thus, those characters can be almost as easily secured as 2nd party characters. This process is especially easy with a 3rd party developer as the primary developer of your game who has done this before. Every Soul Calibur game since Soul Calibur 2 (minus 3 and the Wii one, which had a Namco character) has had a 3rd party character. Add in that companies now do crossover games more, even 3 way crossovers like Project X Zone with SEGA, Namco Bandai, and Capcom (which all 3 do lots of crossovers), and you got yourself a winner.
    Mega Man is trash in that game. Actually, most of the roster is trash in MvC... minus the 3rd one kinda sorta! :laugh:
    DAT METAL BLADE!!! Also, I would love the Flash Man time stop. That move is freaking awesome. (maybe the secret platform creating weapon in the original Mega Man, too).
    That would be freaking AMAZING!!!
  37. Xenoblaze

Xenoblaze Maximum Heat

• Premium
    Megaman's palette swaps should be based on the palette swaps that Megaman gets when he defeats a Robot Master and gains their weapons. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

From left to right: Normal, Fire Storm (Fire Man), Leaf Shield (Wood Man), Shadow Blade (Shadow Man), Dust Crusher (Dust Man), Hornet Chaser (Hornet Man).
  38. Johnknight1

Johnknight1 Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    3540-0575-1486
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Johnknight
    @ Hab-adabadooo!!!!
    I think that we could use a orange (Heat Man? Flame Man?), Guts Man-esk, Cut Man-esk, Elect Man-esk, and Pharoh Man-esk colors would be nice, too. A helmet-less Mega Man would be pretty awesome too, along with classic Mega Man in a suit that looks like Mega Man X's! :laugh: Also, we should get a color palette as well! :bee:
  39. PsychoIncarnate

3DS Friend Code:
    4554-0155-5885
    Nintendo Network ID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    He's GOT to have a red and white one for Cut Man
  40. Frostwraith

Frostwraith (ﺧ益ﺨ)

Nintendo Network ID:
    Frostwraith357
    they could put other versions of Megaman as costumes without changing the moveset, and let him have moves from all incarnations of the character (original, X, .EXE, ...)