• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Marketing Theory: Could the 3DS and Wii U Versions Feature Different Hidden Characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
(I have been constantly adding edits to further clarify the theory, or to answer questions some might have regarding certain points of the theory---so check back occasionally to see what else has been clarified!)

Bear with me, this will be a channeling of a post I made on a different thread. This new theory, for ease-of-the-tongue, will be called The Marketing Theory---especially since it directly concerns the marketing of Smash 4.

However, it also directly pertains to all of the franchises that have yet to receive newcomers (i.e. Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Star Fox).

EDIT #2: Okay, look. This theory mainly concerns the idea of marketing one version of Smash before the other---which is what Nintendo is doing. How else would they drive the marketing for the Wii U version if it can't be with a few different characters---especially considering that the 3DS version is already going to be available 2-3 months before the Wii U version? Keep this in mind while you read the theory---if you read the theory.

EDIT #3: With this theory, both of the rosters won't be different---at least in their entirety, and at least in the beginning.

Most of the characters will be the same. This theory considers the idea of using a few hidden unlockable characters to provide more incentive in purchasing both versions---or establishing connections with someone who has the other version. This promotes 3DS-Wii U connectivity. Thus, with this cross-platform connectivity, both versions could still conceivably have the same roster---just not in the beginning. Also, with this in mind, Sakurai wouldn't have lied, if this theory is true, when he made the statement: "both versions will have the same roster." After all, Sakurai never clarified exactly that the rosters would be the same in the beginning. He only said that they'd be the same. Thus, this theory remains possible.

This is, of course, excluding the other DLC possibility I made.

EDIT #4: @Jellybat made an interesting inference that could clarify this theory to some. Think about Pokemon X/Y. Both feature different legendary Pokemon. However, both games could conceivably have both legendaries, depending on you either acquiring both versions---or through other means of connectivity. Translate this to Smash. These "legendary Pokemon" would be the hidden unlockable characters from each version.

EDIT #5: There was a point I made in the theory that can sound like I'm referring to the 3DS's potential hidden characters being the incentive for the 3DS version's sales. That's not entirely what I was going for---allow me to clarify:

The reveals that lead up to the 3DS version's release build marketing for the 3DS version already. The East doesn't need the incentive because they already have it. The reveals we've had so far seem to cater more towards the East. Little Mac was probably just a "taste" of what's to come for the Wii U version. This is why it makes sense for the 3DS version to come first as well, for the marketing has, so far, focused on that version instead of the Wii U version.

As for the Wii U version, well, there's less time for reveals. In this sense, having unlockable characters as the further incentive is understandable from a marketing perspective---especially if they're from the franchises that have a heavier influence on the West.

I wasn't trying to bundle the Wii U and 3DS versions together with this point---my context in that area can appear that I have. I apologize in advance.

EDIT #6: Here's something I need to clarify. There is a possibility that you won't physically need both versions/consoles to receive these few hidden newcomers, if this theory happens. What if there's DLC that allows someone who owns one version of Sm4sh to download the few hidden newcomers from the other version? At the same time, if someone went through the dirty work of purchasing both versions, they could transfer the characters without resorting to the DLC---which the DLC would likely cost money, just not as much as buying both versions/consoles. This way, we would have options.

EDIT #7: Here's another little tidbit regarding the East vs. West point. Why else do you think the 3DS could be marketed towards the East? This reason extends outside of Smash. I dare anyone to take a promotional tour of Japan. Once there, keep track of this question: which console is promoted more there, the 3DS or Wii U? Look, we know that Japan is practically always on the move. They enjoy their handhelds. Thus, it would make sense for them to treat the 3DS version as the "East" version. Furthermore, use this edit in conjunction with Edit #5 for best results.

By the way, when I say "East vs. West", or anything of the sort, I don't mean that only the East can buy the 3DS version and only the West can buy the Wii U version. All I'm referring to is that Nintendo could be using these two different versions to market towards the East or the West---to captivate each sides' hearts consecutively (first the 3DS with reveals, then the Wii U with the few hidden unlockables [due to less time for reveals between the 3DS and Wii U launches]).

Guess what? Sakurai didn't have to make Smash on the 3DS at all, he could have done it just on the Wii U, the home console---just like he has for every past iteration of Smash.

Look at it this way (and I even mention this in the theory):

One version of Smash would have to be used to market to the whole globe! This has happened in the past---for instance with Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl.

Now that they're working on two versions, they could divide the focus of marketing between both versions (East and West) and drive the marketing home with a message (East vs. West). Not only that, they could allot bigger teams than they ever had on each version to propitiate both the East and the West.

If this is what they're doing, like I said, it's absolutely genius---business-wise.

Besides, if you still think the East vs. West argument is weak, I have a rebuttal---though it's theoretical. We have next to no information about the Wii U version. We don't know how both versions will connect/communicate. Thus, they haven't officially set up the East vs. West marketing scheme yet, in it's entirety at least. They've only potentially alluded to it. They can't denote the East vs. West marketing strategy yet because they have yet to release the 3DS version---it's too early to reveal details about the Wii U version as that could take the attention off of the 3DS version, which is the version they're currently pushing to sell!

EDIT #8: There is a point I made in the theory that proves Sakurai has given a partial truth about the gap between the 3DS and Wii U's sales. He said it was for "debugging reasons". This is partially true---it's also for marketing reasons. Of course, he can't clarify these marketing reasons because that would give away Nintendo's business secrets, and the marketing strategy of Sm4sh could easily become busted.

However, there is another inference you must draw from this:

Since Sakurai has given a partial truth already, don't automatically assume he's always telling the full 100% truth---else we'd know everything about Sm4sh already! He wants to keep certain things secret for many reasons. This marketing theory tries to explain some of these potential reasons.

By the way, this refers mainly to those who say that Sakurai said "the roster would be the same in both versions" to counter the theory. This could just as easily be one of those partial truths---a partial truth that he could very well clarify closer to the Wii U version's launch!

EDIT #9: @SwagzillaForilla just pointed out something in Leaker #2's part of the ESRB leak that only now I can see working hand-in-hand with the marketing theory:

@ TheRandomCities4 TheRandomCities4 , there was something else I noticed while looking at the ESRB leak. With the leak, we now know most if not all of the stages on the 3DS version, along with the stages that have already been confirmed on the Wii U version. I noticed that there may be a direct correlation between new stages and newcomers.

For reference:

3DS stages:

Wii U stages:
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/wiiu

Let's look at which major series are confirmed to have a new stage on both the 3DS and Wii U versions:

Mario: Golden Plains, 3D Land, Paper Mario, Rainbow Road, Mario Galaxy, Mushroom Kingdom U
Pokémon: Prism Tower, N's Castle, Kalos Pokémon League
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Train, Gerudo Valley, Skyloft
Animal Crossing: Tortimer Island, Town and City
Fire Emblem: Arena Ferox, Coliseum
Kid Icarus: Reset Bomb Forest, Palutena's Temple
Pac-Man: Pac-Maze, Pac-Land
Punch Out!!: Boxing Ring (one new stage, both versions)
Mega Man: Dr. Wiley's Castle (one new stage, both versions)

Now lets look at all the series with no new stages on the 3DS version, but only returning stages:

Donkey Kong:
Jungle Japes (Melee), ???
Metroid: Brinstar (Melee), Pyrosphere
Star Fox: Corneria (Melee), Great Fox
Yoshi: Yoshi's Island (Brawl), ???
Pikmin: Distant Planet (Brawl), Garden of Hope
Sonic: Green Hill Zone (Brawl), Windy Hill
Wario: Warioware (Brawl), ???
Game & Watch: Flatzone 2 (Brawl), ???
Kirby: Dreamland, Halberd (Brawl) (Kirby's situation is the opposite: a new stage on the 3DS, but a returning stage on the Wii U)

Now, there are a few discrepancies. Namely...
  • The Legend of Zelda hasn't had a newcomer reveal (yet), despite having 3 unique stages
  • The Wii Fit Trainer doesn't have a 3DS stage
  • Duck Hunt doesn't have a 3DS stage

I'm sure you've already noticed, but none of the major series without a new stage on the 3DS version (barring WFT and DH) have had a newcomer. This could mean nothing, or it could mean everything--no one knows for sure. But I'm inclined to believe that this points to the ESRB leak being the final roster (as sad as that is).
"When life gives you lemons..."

Wait a minute!

Look carefully at the stages on the supposed 3DS stage selection screen leak.

Yes, it's true that none of the major franchises without a new stage on the 3DS version (barring WFT and DH) have had a newcomer.

But it could point, considering the stage tease possibility, towards these franchises having hidden newcomers on the Wii U version---just as the marketing theory suggests! These franchises are not the incentive focus of the 3DS version's sales! So...

In a way, the marketing theory may rely on this?!

What if these franchises all get a new stage on only the Wii U version---to be revealed/detailed when Sakurai updates us about the Wii U version, after the 3DS version's launch---that tease towards their newcomers?

This is good for Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox. They could be in the clear---regarding the theory's idea of Wii U hidden unlockables.

As for The Legend of Zelda, it has new stages on both versions. This is a discrepancy. Perhaps it's a discrepancy that could be explained with the 'ol Trophy Theory? Anyone remember that? There were two trophies that potentially coincided with the reveals of Palutena and Robin/Lucina. There were also two other trophies, one from Metroid and one from Legend of Zelda. Not only that, but both of these trophies, under the marketing theory, could hint towards their franchise newcomers' inclusion as hidden unlockable characters in the Wii U version. Trophy-Tease-wise, that would make it 2 and 2. 2 with a heavier Eastern influence, and 2 with a heavier Western influence.

The Legend of Zelda is the only strong discrepancy, and it is the only other franchise to have a trophy appear in the Smash direct. This discrepancy could seal the gap of the trophy theory as well, in this light! #PuzzlePiecesComingTogether

As for Kirby, I wouldn't worry that much. I feel it could still get a new stage on the Wii U version, along with the version-designated hidden unlockable character. This is Sakurai's own franchise, after all.

As for most of the franchises that have new stages on both versions, these are the franchises that have characters that will appear readily on both versions. These are pretty much, if not all of the characters that have been revealed before the 3DS version's release---which agrees with the marketing theory.

This gap of new stages, coinciding directly with the franchises currently missing newcomers due to possible marketing incentive, could be filled with the Wii U version's information!

This could be huge!

Let's consider the situation from an alternate perspective:

It wouldn't make sense---under the marketing theory and stage tease theory together (or apart for that matter)---for these franchises that might include hidden unlockable characters on the Wii U version to receive new stages on the 3DS version. This is because, as the marketing theory suggests, these franchises aren't going to be used as marketing incentive for the 3DS version, but rather the Wii U version! Save their stages to garner attention for the Wii U version! Genius!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Here it is:

By Jove, I think I've finally got it! :idea:

(Disclaimers are at the bottom of this post)

I believe I just found (and remembered) an actual piece of evidence that further suggests the possibility of this marketing theory taking place. No less, it's something Sakurai said. It's also something, ironically, most of us (those who've seen it) discredited as a slip up, or just something completely insignificant.

Do any of you remember when Sakurai said he treats Smash on the 3DS and Smash on the Wii U like Smash 4 and Smash 5 respectively?

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Sakurai: We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible.
Kotaku: When you say four and five, do you mean the 3DS and Wii U versions? Those are separate?
Sakurai: Yeah, exactly.
I'll wait a moment to see if you can see where I'm going with this---and why it's potentially very important to the marketing theory...

Here's the original outdated marketing theory for those who haven't seen it yet, by the way:

Wait a minute...

I feel another theory coming on! This one is significant---not only for Krystal, either. In fact, with this theory we will effectively have a 2-3 month buffer for further speculation even after the 3DS version releases---because it has a possibility which cannot be denied. It's actually more possible than the idea of another playtester withholding their information...

Thematically, this theory is business-influenced. Keep this in mind.

Even if this new leak is true...

Hear me out; there is still hope yet!

All of these recent leaks---and all of this recent information (including Ken's knowledge and the info I came across)---pertain solely to the 3DS version, correct? This makes sense, as the 3DS version is releasing first, and soon. However, we're assuming that the 3DS information---character-wise, especially---is intrinsically bound with the Wii U version. This is because we were only ever accustomed to one game releasing at a time---not 2.

Hence, what if there are different unlockable characters for each version?

Now wait, I know what you might say: "but Sakurai said both versions will have the same roster!"

Allow me to harken back to an older theory I came up with---specifically, something I said within it. This was the theory regarding the dual reveal with Krystal and Ridley. I mentioned, under the conditions that presented themselves at the time, that Retro Studios could have denied working on the Star Fox/Metroid crossover videogame. However, they still would have been truthfully denying that rumor if they were working on a Smash Brothers newcomer cutscene, because it wouldn't be a videogame. Now, I don't believe that theory will happen, but let's get back to the theory at hand.

The same thing can apply here. Allow me to explain:

Back in the April Smash Direct, Sakurai mentioned that "both versions will have the same roster." This was to be expected. However, he said something else that has only just now piqued my curiosity (beware, I'm paraphrasing here---but I'm 100% confident he said something in the exact context).

Sakurai: There will be cross-platform features between the 3DS and the Wii U. I will go into detail about these later.

Thing is, he has yet to explain these cross-platform features between both versions of Sm4sh. This could be considered obvious, since the nature of the Wii U version is currently unknown---in almost its entirety. They don't want the Wii U version's content to be known because they're currently pushing to sell the 3DS version. This is something we've previously established. This is obvious enough through their marketing, and their modality in releasing information (all of the game modes, among other things).

Point in case, what if one of the cross-platform features allow you to transfer version-designated unlockable characters between the 3DS and Wii U?

If this were the case, certain unlockable characters could be initially unlocked on one version---only to be transferred to the other version in quasi-DLC likeness. This would effectively allow both versions to have the same roster.

Thus, Sakurai wouldn't be lying or going back upon his word.

Yes, this sounds kind of like an evil business move by Nintendo---but it wouldn't be any more evil than reserving these characters for the DLC (like I said in an older theory, but now I don't think that's the case).

Again, I'll say it: Nintendo is a business. Not only do they have to think about our interests, but theirs as well.

Speaking of DLC, if the characters from the leak as DLC are what we get, this theory could still work. The DLC could be reserved for characters they didn't have enough developmental time to include in the initial roster---which is also why having veterans as the bulk of the DLC makes sense. If this is the case, I don't think these characters will cost anything (don't take my word on that specifically, though). These DLC characters could be revealed between the release of both versions---starting after the 3DS version's release and leading up to the Wii U one.

Now let's shift gears for a second and re-examine the franchises and their representations in this leak.

Hmm... Notice anything odd?

All of these franchises are receiving newcomers except for The Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Metroid.

Actually, that's not what I found odd. This is:
Mario is receiving two unique newcomers.

Well, that fact alone isn't what makes it odd.

It's when you combine that fact with those other 5 franchises not receiving anything. That is the oddity---an oddity that can be explained with this theory!

Before I further pursue that route, I feel I need to briefly remind everyone of all the teases Sakurai has made. Think back to all of his teases---including the ones that were never specifically denoted one way or the other. What I'm trying to say here is that Sakurai is a troll---but he's also more than that. He's aware of us and our interests.

I also feel I need to remind everyone that every single franchise received a newcomer in Brawl. All of them. Heck, we even added a new franchise---Kid Icarus! Not only that, but Brawl had a singular team, and they had to work on the massive Subspace Emissary. Their team in general was smaller, too.

Smash 4 has multiple teams, composed of multiple developer groups, like Team Sora and Namco Bandai. Brawl didn't have that.

Let's shift gears again and examine the marketing for Smash 4. Smash, outside of being its own game, is about raising awareness for franchises, not characters per se. Keep this in mind as you read the following question:

Have you noticed a particular theme in Sm4sh's marketing? Well...

Does East vs. West ring a bell? It certainly should...

Look back to E3 2014. Do you remember that hilariously epic opener with Smash? If you do (which you should)...

Who was fighting in the cutscene?

Correct. It was Reggie and Iwata.

Do you know the title of their official positions?

Again, correct. Reggie is the President of Nintendo of America. Iwata is the President of Nintendo of Japan. East vs. West strikes again.

Let's look at this a different way. Look at the colors chosen for both Sm4sh versions. The 3DS is red, and the Wii U is blue.

Why do you think they chose these colors?

There was no real need. Was it a design choice? Or is it something on a much deeper value...? Perhaps these colors are meant to represent the East and West respectively. You should understand that these respective colors are more associated with their respective side, especially on a cultural level. You should also know that Japan adheres to culture strenuously. Using such representation over their marketing for Sm4sh isn't at all far-fetched. (REFER TO EDIT #7)

Now remember back to when I said Smash is used to raise awareness for franchises. Look back at the newcomers revealed so far before the 3DS release. Look to the ones that are included in the leak---specifically Shulk and Chorus Men. Notice anything? (REFER TO EDIT #5)

Firstly, no one can officially say that these characters were wanted more in the East or the West.

However, when we look at the newcomers from the perspective of franchises, things begin to clarify.

Pokemon, Mario, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade have a heavier influence over the East than the other franchises that have yet to receive newcomers. All of these franchises (and supposedly Xenoblade) are receiving newcomers, while it seems the others aren't. (REFER TO EDIT #5)

Note how I didn't say that these franchises were more requested by the East to have newcomers. Why? Requests don't matter.

Well, they do, in part. But not full.

It's about influence.

So, why is this whole East vs. West theme so important?

Easy. Can you see where I'm going?

Donkey Kong, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and Star Fox all have a heavier influence in the West than the East.

Theory in point:

What if newcomers from these franchises are held to be the Wii U version-designated unlockables?

Interesting...

What about Little Mac, though?

Good question. Fortunately, I have a theoretical rebuttal:

Little Mac was just a "taste" of what's to come, without spoiling the surprise.

It adds up so well. As a bonus, it makes too much sense business-wise...

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the pièce de résistance...

What major factor drives the sales for Smash?

Correct. Characters. Why is this important? Simple.

Look carefully at the gap between the sales dates of the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Why would the Wii U version have the exact same roster as the 3DS version---especially if it releases 3-4 months afterwards?

Bringing the theory into full circle, it highlights a business perspective: this would be horrible marketing. Sure, Nintendo is known for their strange marketing, but considering the TLC they've done with the East vs. West theme, this time looks to be different. (REFER TO EDIT #5)

Anyways, the Wii U version wouldn't have enough incentive to match the sales of the 3DS version if it didn't have these version-designated unlockables. There are many more 3DS consoles out there than there are Wii U consoles. The Wii U version needs something spectacular to stand out as opposed to the 3DS version---and game modes alone won't cut it. I can guarantee that.

Final question:

What is Nintendo's goal for Sm4sh, marketing wise?

Simple. They want to execute plans that would accrue the most sales for all of their Sm4sh peripherals.

We're still alive, guys!

Phew! That was a long one.

I guess that means I'm back...

Back, to stay. :)

Still, if this theory comes out to be true, in some shape, my reaction will be similar to this:

PS: If you haven't noticed, all of these 3DS leaks, if true, can easily serve to strengthen this theory. These leaks seem to be only a part of the bigger puzzle---the Sm4sh puzzle. The Wii-U designated unlockables would serve to finish the puzzle rather nicely!

So sit back, and relax until all is really said and done---at least until after we know everything about Sm4sh, including the Wii U version.

Interestingly enough, I can't believe it took me this long to come to this conclusion. It's like it required a combination of all my past theories, ironically enough. If this is true, Sakurai is more clever than we thought.

Not to mention it would be the biggest troll move ever:

"Oh that was the full roster... Nah, I'm just kidding. All these other characters are included on the Wii U version, but you guys won't know until much later. I want you guys to squirm for as long as possible:troll:" --Masahiro Sakurai, 2014
Can you see why this information may be important to the marketing theory?

If not, allow me to elaborate:

Firstly, while keeping the new theory in mind, this is evidence that both of the games won't be the same. Now, in a general context, this could seem insignificant. We should already know that both games will have different features already, what with all the different game modes (feasibly) and different stages.

However, what kind of differences would warrant the 3DS and Wii U versions to be called "Smash 4 and Smash 5" by Sakurai? Would the differences be limited to only the game modes and stages? I frankly don't believe so. By saying this, Sakurai has effectively taken on two iterations of Smash at the same time.

I think the differences include the different hidden unlockable characters in both versions as well.

I'm going to sidestep here briefly to clarify something I feel I didn't in the original marketing theory. When I said that both versions could have different unlockable characters to be transferred from the Wii U version to the 3DS version (and vice-versa), I meant these would probably those few hidden unlockable characters---not the characters we will know before the 3DS launch. I think the characters known before the 3DS launch are going to be readily available in both versions. Whether some of these already known characters will be unlockable or not won't mean anything. I'm referring specifically to those characters that are hidden (or potentially made for the initial roster on one of the versions---the roster on one version before transferring the character data to and/or fro). (REFER TO EDIT #5)

Back to the differences in both versions.

Imagine this perspective:

What if both games were to be released at the same time, instead? If this were the case, I would be inclined to believe that each version would share the exact same roster, as the time frame wouldn't suggest much of a difference in each version (that time frame would also suggest horrible marketing; which, the marketing is a key point in the new marketing theory). However, as you and I know, this isn't the case.

The real time frame between both releases is between 2-3 months. This gives Sakurai enough time to detail much of the Wii U version before its launch---especially since the info will focus specifically on the Wii U version, since the 3DS version would already be released.

Yes, Sakurai did say that the time frame difference was because "debugging the Wii U version takes longer than the 3DS version". This could easily be a partial truth. But...

Guess what? It's already a partial truth. I can prove it.

Let's take a look back at the marketing of Sm4sh.

As we should know, releasing both versions at the same time would be horrible marketing. The best way to handle marketing both games at once would be to release information about each version consecutively. First, release information about the 3DS version to make it appear more attractive than the Wii U one, leaving the Wii U version in the dark. Nintendo's strategy is painfully obvious, as the 3DS version comes out before the Wii U one. What this strategy does, is that it could entice you into buying the 3DS version when it comes out---for a couple reasons:
  1. We want to experience the new Smash as soon as possible. Since the version that currently appears the most attractive is releasing first, we may be influenced to purchase it.
  2. This reason partly intertwines with the first. Those who decided not to buy the 3DS version may eventually give into the pressure---the pressure to Smash. Thus, they may purchase the 3DS version sometime between the 2-3 month gap separating the 3DS version release and Wii U version release.
  3. You generally want to own both versions---in which case you've already decided the fate of your money, so it doesn't matter.
(REFER TO EDIT #8)

But wait, what about the Wii U version?

Oh, don't worry. Nintendo will make you want to buy that one too---just not now.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the crux of the new theory.

You see, Nintendo wants to make the most sales between all of their Sm4sh peripherals. In fact, any other sane business-oriented company in Nintendo's position would strive for the same goal---it's almost entirely for the money. Smash is a goldmine.

However...

There is an issue with our current knowledge/assumptions with how the Wii U version's content will be handled. Like I've said before, we're assuming that the Wii U roster is explicitly whatever the 3DS roster will be. How can we be so certain of this? We have no idea how the Wii U's content will be handled---Sakurai hasn't even added the Wii U version's homepage on the official site yet!

Besides, we were only ever accustomed to one Smash releasing per console generation---not two. This is only given more credence by Sakurai's statement regarding both versions being Smash 4 and Smash 5 respectively.

Here's a dirrect channeling of the original theory for those who haven't read it, in anticipation of a certain response:

Now wait, I know what you might say: "but Sakurai said both versions will have the same roster!"

Allow me to harken back to an older theory I came up with---specifically, something I said within it. This was the theory regarding the dual reveal with Krystal and Ridley. I mentioned, under the conditions that presented themselves at the time, that Retro Studios could have denied working on the Star Fox/Metroid crossover videogame. However, they still would have been truthfully denying that rumor if they were working on a Smash Brothers newcomer cutscene, because it wouldn't be a videogame. Now, I don't believe that theory will happen, but let's get back to the theory at hand.

The same thing can apply here. Allow me to explain:

Back in the April Smash Direct, Sakurai mentioned that "both versions will have the same roster." This was to be expected. However, he said something else that has only just now piqued my curiosity (beware, I'm paraphrasing here---but I'm 100% confident he said something in the exact context).

Sakurai: There will be cross-platform features between the 3DS and the Wii U. I will go into detail about these later.

Thing is, he has yet to explain these cross-platform features between both versions of Sm4sh. This could be considered obvious, since the nature of the Wii U version is currently unknown---in almost its entirety. They don't want the Wii U version's content to be known because they're currently pushing to sell the 3DS version. This is something we've previously established. This is obvious enough through their marketing, and their modality in releasing information (all of the game modes, among other things).

Point in case, what if one of the cross-platform features allow you to transfer version-designated unlockable characters between the 3DS and Wii U?

If this were the case, certain unlockable characters could be initially unlocked on one version---only to be transferred to the other version in quasi-DLC likeness. This would effectively allow both versions to have the same roster.

Thus, Sakurai wouldn't be lying or going back upon his word.
Hypothetically, there is also an issue with Nintendo's marketing choices, if the rosters are explicitly the same in both versions:

If this is the case, the only things that would motivate people to buy the Wii U version over the 3DS version would be to have a version of Smash that would play on the bigger screen, have better graphics, and/or to have those different in-game features (unless they have some kind of other philosophy that drives them to buy it).

From this, we must ask this important question and answer it from a business perspective:

Would that be enough marketing security for Nintendo regarding the Wii U version's sales---especially considering that there are currently far more 3DS consoles out there in the world than Wii U consoles?

To us, it could seem that the answer would be yes.

However, if there are more 3DS consoles out there than Wii U consoles, the 3DS version is automatically considered more convenient for the consumer to purchase---at least in the general sense. Thus, the convenience of the 3DS version could triumph over those other reasons to buy the Wii U version, especially if they don't own a Wii U. I've already seen plenty of arguments on these forums about this issue. I'm sure these arguments have happened on plenty of other websites---and even offline---too.

Look, Nintendo doesn't just want the Wii U version to sell well---as all of their other Sm4sh peripherals. They want, extensively, the Wii U console itself to sell as well. Here's another question to consider:

Does the bigger screen, better graphics, and different stages/game modes warrant that Wii U console sale?

Actually, this question is almost impossible to answer, at least factually. It's a question about someone's perspectives. What do they prefer?

Can you see where I'm getting at? These are the questions that Nintendo must consider, since they're dealing with two different versions of Smash. Nintendo, as a business, must find a way to influence us into buying both versions---or at least to find the formula with the highest probable success rate regarding the sales of all Sm4sh peripherals.

Do you know what this formula is? If you know what mainly sells Smash, you should know the formula. It's the characters.

Alright, back to Sakurai's partial truth telling about the gap between the release dates of the 3DS and Wii U versions of Sm4sh---where he said "it was for the debugging purposes"...

What if the partial truth wasn't only for that surface-layer marketing I exposed just above?

What if the marketing included these hidden unlockable characters that need to be transferred from one version to the other in order to have the full roster in either game? (REFER TO EDIT #8)

Just imagine how that would affect the consumer's decision among purchasing certain Sm4sh peripherals. We would effectively have to get both versions in order to have the complete Sm4sh roster. Yes, this would seem like a b*** move from Nintendo---but the fact that this possibility exists cannot be denied! Therefore, we cannot look at the 3DS roster (when the 3DS version releases) and say "that's all folks!", especially considering there's so much info currently unknown about the Wii U version!

Alternatively...

I've actually found yet another possibility.

Imagine the above happening. It'd be all the same. The only difference would be DLC.

What if Nintendo allowed cross-platform DLC to avoid any consumer backlash regarding their choice for version-designated hidden unlockables?

Now, imagine you've purchased the 3DS version only. What if Nintendo allows 3DS version owners to download the hidden characters from the Wii U version without having to own the Wii U? Of course, it would cost money, but not nearly as much as the Wii U + the Wii U version of the game. The same thing could work vice-versa for the Wii U version owners. (REFER TO EDIT #6)

This way, Nintendo would effectively be catering towards both markets---as well as consumer interest. If they are geniuses, this would be the path they choose. And to think, this is all possible!

Now that I think about it...

Would you care to hear what exactly caused me to come up with this theory in the first place? Well, it really stemmed from a spot of information regarding Brawl's leaks. Here's an OP from a thread entitled "The Truth About Leaks: Why Don't Leakers Have The Full Picture?":

Pay close attention to the bolded part.

Hey, there has been a bit of commotion lately about a new possible leak with Smash 4. In this leak, its stated that newcomers will consist of Shulk, Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., and Dark Pit (as well as the return of Dr. Mario).

However, the main reputable leaker (the source behind salromano/gematsu), has made no mention of the latter three.

What explains this discrepancy?

The truth of the matter is that at least during Brawl's developments, the builds that foreigners playtest, don't have the entire roster on them.

Let me explain.

During the pre-Brawl days there were three primary leakers:

NyaseNya, who claimed:
- Brawl would have 35 characters.
- No Mega Man or Ridley
- Brawl would be delayed.
- Be on a dual-layers disc.
- That Captain Falcon, Ness, and Mr. Game & Watch would return.
- That Olimar and Toon Link are newcomers (and even described a bit of Olimar's moveset)
- Was an infamous troll obsessed with the buttocks of Nintendo females (particularly Peach)

ChaosZero:
- Said Lucario, Wolf, and Sonic would be newcomers.
- Mewtwo would be cut.
- Ganondorf, Falco, Sheik, Captain Falcon returning.
- Described the Dragoon item.

ShadowXOR:
- Said Marth, Ness, and Captain Falcon would return.
- Said ROB was a newcomer.

Why didn't any of these three people know the entire roster?

Well, its because none of them (or their sources) had access to builds that contained the entire roster. As a matter of fact, one of the leakers (ShadowXOR) mentioned to me that there were several characters in his build that were on the Dojo yet not in the copy his source was playtesting.

Why Sakurai/Nintendo did this is anyone's guess, but it was probably a contribution behind why Brawl's balance was so awful.

As to how this revelation is relevant to today, is this.

Gematsu/salromano claims one of our newcomers will be Chorus Men.

Yet Ninka/vaanrose's source claims Chorus Men wasn't in it.

Gematsu also makes no mention of Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., or Dark Pit (who to be fair could have been a last minute addition).

Its possible that Sakurai may again be giving foreign debuggers/balancers copies of Smash 4 with incomplete rosters (possibly to stop someone from leaking the ENTIRE roster).

If this is the case, then its possible that characters like Chorus Men, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Lucas may still actually be in Smash 4.

Moreover, other leakers (like the 4chan leak also mentioning Duck Hunt Dog, Chorus Men, Bowser Jr., Shulk, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Ridley) might also be correct, despite not knowing about Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.

Personally, I am skeptical.

For one, I am not convinced yet on Ninka/vaanrose's source. There needs to be something major from their leak to be confirmed (namely the confirmation of one of their newcomers outside of Shulk, or the ability of Shulk's moveset confirmed, or the confirmation that Olimar has Alpha alternates).

The second thing, is that I don't feel confident Sakurai is reprising his pre-Brawl strategy of handing incomplete rosters for balance to foreign branches of Nintendo this time around. He is actively striving for balance this time, and as far as I am aware of there were no characters on the Ninka/vaanrose build that has been confirmed that has been absent.

We have only 1.5 months left so all that is left is a waiting game.

In the worst case scenario our remaining newcomers are:
- Shulk
- Chorus Men.

or

- Shulk
- Bowser Jr.
- Duck Hunt Dog
- Dark Pit
- Dr. Mario

in a slighly better scenario

we get all newcomers from Gematsu and Ninka/vaanrose (which we simply gain Chorus Men as a newcomer, though possibly Wolf and Ice Climbers don't get cut). Both sources say Lucas is gone.

In the best case scenario (in which the 4chan leaker is also reputable), we also get Dixie Kong, Ridley, and Mewtwo.

In times like this its imperative to keep our expectations low.

I hope my information at least sheds some new light on the leaks going on, and that it at least offers some clarity on the situation at hand.

Smash 4 will soon be released so hopefully this debate will soon come to an end.

That's right. There were multiple, different builds released to the different playtesters for Brawl! Meaning:

Something similar---in regards to leaks---has happened before.

For Sm4sh, the Ninka/Vaanrose leaks (to which the newer 3-piece 3DS roster leak heavily agrees with) appear to stem from different playtester builds. It seems Sakurai is up to his old shenanigans again, if all of these leaks are true.

However, this led me to wonder about other potential gaps in the roster. If you read my original new marketing theory post, you'd understand what I'm saying here. I'm referring to the lack of newcomers from Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda, and Kirby.

If you read my original new marketing theory post, you'd also understand that I was focusing on franchises, and not specific characters---for the franchises divvied by newcomer inclusion could have varied with each version of Sm4sh. If this is the case, then we could see playtester leaks appear that show newcomers from franchises that have a heavier influence on the West within the Wii U version (a couple of weeks before the Wii U version's release---just like what is currently, potentially happening with the 3DS version). The opposite goes for the 3DS version---and these playtester leaks certainly seem to agree with this.

If you read my original new marketing theory post, you would also understand the premise I set up for Sm4sh's general marketing: the East vs. West idea---marketing each different version more towards each culture. This also could explain the color choice for each version of Sm4sh. Culturally, the East is more associated with Red, while the West is more associated with Blue. As you should know, and as I've mentioned in my original new theory post, Japan adheres to culture ideas strenuously. Thus, having them center their marketing strategy for Sm4sh around the East vs. West mentality is certainly not far-fetched. (REFER TO EDIT #7)

Not only that, but dividing Sm4sh up and marketing it in a East vs. West sense would be absolutely genius! This way, instead of trying to market one version of Smash to the entire globe, they can focus on giving content specific to each version that would appeal with their respective marketing intent. Yet, at the same time, allowing the smashers options to use both versions' content simultaneously in each specific version, based on the cross-platform connections. That's pretty freaking genius, huh? (REFER TO EDIT #7)

But wait,

I'm not done yet!

Does anyone remember this potential pattern/theory?

I've noticed a pattern, As far as the Newcomers we've seen who are from an already represented franchise in smash, they've had a stage from their franchise be partially revealed when it was initially shown in the Pic of the day, then it would be followed up with a more in depth look at their stage in a later Pic of the Day.[collapse=Rosalina]
[collapse=PotD September 9, 2013]This is our first look at the Super Mario Galaxy stage. Not much to see but Kirby and the background.
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD November 14, 2013]a more in depth look at the Super Mario Galaxy stage
[/collapse]Rolalina was revealed in the December Nintendo Direct.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Greninja]
[collapse=PotD March 11, 2014]This is our first look at Lumiose city. We don't even see any platforms.
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD March 28, 2014] Now we see the the platforms and conclude that this must be a moving stage.
[/collapse]Greninja is revealed in the April direct.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Palutena][collapse=PotD January 29, 2014]Here we first see the background of the Kid Icarus stage on the Wii U
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD April 30, 2014]Now we see the statue again, but with a platform.
[/collapse]Palutena is revealed during E3
[/collapse]
[collapse=Robin][collapse=PotD June 6, 2014]the first appearance of the Fire emblem stage on the Wii U.
[/collapse]I suppose you could say that we got a better look at the Fire Emblem stage during the E3 demo of the game.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Krystal][collapse=PotD July 21, 2014]It's hard to make out whether the Great Fox is the stage or if there will be a platform in front of it.
[/collapse]We are waiting for another more in depth reveal of the Starfox stage followed up by a Starfox newcomer.[/collapse]
Well, we're nearing the release of the 3DS version, right? What does this mean, again?

It means we are close to receiving information about the Wii U version...

Think of it this way:

Which franchises have yet to get much content?

Besides Zelda, pretty much all of the franchises that are lacking newcomers. This includes Star Fox, Kirby, and Donkey Kong. Metroid is in another-but-similar boat because of all of the potential and non-clarified Ridley teases.

Well, guess what? Donkey Kong and Kirby have yet to get Wii U stages! Star Fox's Wii U stage is barely known!

So... When would be the perfect time to reveal these stages/reveal more info about these stages?

That's right, when Sakurai begins to solely reveal info about the Wii U version---which is after the 3DS version releases.

Whether or not these franchises will have a newcomer reveal to solidify the idea before the Wii U version releases, is up in the air. Right now, that doesn't necessarily matter, for my new theory remains possible with or without reveals.

However, the possibility of these stage reveals teasing a franchise newcomer as a version-designated unlockable for the Wii U version always exists! (REFER TO EDIT #9)

Can't you see just how uncannily all these things can add up together?!

It's just like one giant puzzle! Sakurai could be dividing the pieces to the puzzle among different playtesters to mislead us. He's done it already in Brawl!

And now that both the Wii U and 3DS versions are in play, he could further mislead us by giving Wii U playtesters builds that, roster-wise, don't fully agree with the 3DS roster we would have at the time!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*phew!*

This is it. I've laid all of my cards on the table. I'm unable to foresee any other possibility---beyond the possibility of these theories not coming true.

I apologize for the amount of Phoenix Wright content in this post. It gets me in the mood, and it keeps me sane while constructing these 5-6 hour long posts.

Hope you all enjoy. By the way, if any of you would like to spread this theory around, by all means go right ahead! Of course, I advise you to be mindful of the site rules---as going off topic on certain threads will warrant penalties.

Also, if there is anyone you know who might be saddened by the prospect of their wanted newcomers not getting into Smash---especially from these franchises that have yet to receive newcomers, share this info with them.

The speculation lives, and will live past the 3DS version's launch. This marketing theory is possible.

By the way, I thought I might point it out once more---all of the franchises received newcomers in Brawl. All of them (except for F-Zero, but this hinges one what Sakurai thought was necessary). I count Wario as Mario because he has had heavy ties with Mario over the history---at least in this sense. Despite this, Brawl still had the massive Subspace Emissary mode, and Sm4sh doesn't seem to have something like that. Also, we got a new franchise in Brawl---Kid Icarus!

So, who is to say that all franchises can't simultaneously receive newcomers again? The only one I might consider debatable, currently, is the Mother franchise.

EDIT #1: Under all of this, and considering the Wii U version coming after the 3DS version, it seems Sakurai might just pull the biggest troll move ever. This move would first devastate us Western smashers after the 3DS roster officially comes to light after its release (what with it not featuring the franchise newcomers that have heavy influence over here in the West). Then, Sakurai comes out with the ultimate surprise:

The Wii U version has these franchise newcomers. Honestly, without leaks, this would be absolutely unexpected.

Lastly, I just wanted to reiterate that I'm not claiming this theory will absolutely happen. Let's see what pans out, and just how Nintendo goes about marketing the Wii U version after the 3DS version releases.

At the very least, this could serve for some interesting food-for-thought.

For further clarification, make sure you read the edits above the theory as well.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
It makes an awful lot of sense marketing-wise, mainly because of the release dates and the fact that I don't know many people who would buy the same game with some slight differences in the 1 player mode.

You can add all the options you want, at the end of the day you'll mainly be playing versus mode, and the best aspect of this mode is the fact that you can choose various characters. Besides, you are correct in saying that characters/playstyles are the most interesting aspects of any fighting game.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
But the roster would be the same with this theory. You would have the same roster, just not at the same time.

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
Eh, doubt it. Sakurai has stated several times the roster will be the same.
Even if he has stated this, this would be a terrible business decision. Honestly, unless there are unique unlockable characters that are version exclusive (but can be unlocked for either version via 3DS/ Wii U connectivity), there is little to no incentive for buying the Wii U console if you own a 3DS, which dominates comparing to the Wii U currently.

If the rosters WERE the same, then it would be wiser to release the Wii U game before the 3DS version, causing players who want to play the new game to actually think and justify the purchasing of a Wii U console (then months later release the 3DS version). But we see the exact opposite, which is intriguing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd say its more likely that the 3DS will have less characters than Wii U, but the 3DS version will get those characters as free DLC when the Wii U version comes out. The Wii U will likely have something else to justify the purchase of the console than characters.

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
I'd say its more likely that the 3DS will have less characters than Wii U, but the 3DS version will get those characters as free DLC when the Wii U version comes out. The Wii U will likely have something else to justify the purchase of the console than characters.
I don't think free DLC is likely, that would ultimately ruin the "justify" part of purchasing the Wii U version. If anything, you might be able to purchase them exclusively at a later date (Much like how the theory suggests). Too much lost opportunity to make money otherwise.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

I really like this theory.

However there is no definite proof, but that's what a theory is I guess.

I'll be following this thread.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Now that I think about it, the theory could still agree with this prospect.

If the 3DS version indeed has a smaller initial roster, it could receive the extra characters from the Wii U version in DLC---just as you say. All of these mentioned franchises could still have their newcomers---just not currently shown on the 3DS version when it releases.

Whether or not the DLC would be free is up to Nintendo, though.

From a business standpoint, I'd suspect they'd make it cost money.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Do you think this lines up with the Trophy theory?

That each series those 4 trophies said would get a newcomer. However we never knew "when".

It is possible that Palutena and Robin/Lucina were on the 3DS, and Ridley/Impa will be on the Wii U version.

Nintendo no doubt knows the appeal of Ridley. So it makes sense they would save the character that everyone wants for the system that might get less sales.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Eh, still don't see it happening. Sakurai may troll, but wouldn't lie and not tell us the truth for over a year.
Like I said, it wouldn't be a lie.

Both versions would still have the same roster---just not in the beginning. You'd have to resort to the cross-platform features to combine the missing characters from each version. That, or cross-platform DLC.

Sakurai hasn't clarified that with his "both versions will have the same roster" statement---thus, it's possible.

If Sakurai said "both versions, at the beginning of their launches, will have the exact same roster", I would have never considered this theory.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If this isn't true I'll cry.

PLEASE BE TRUE

WE WANT THE DEE

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Like I said, it wouldn't be a lie.

Both versions would still have the same roster---just not in the beginning. You'd have to resort to the cross-platform features to combine the missing characters from each version.

Sakurai hasn't clarified that with his "both versions will have the same roster" statement---thus, it's possible.

If Sakurai said "both versions, at the beginning of their launches, will have the exact same roster", I would have never considered this theory.
I'm not sure I completely understand...

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
You might not even have to buy the DLC, as it would be on the Wii U version. I mean, you already bought the game for $60, so then all you'd have to do is transfer the characters on your 3DS and you would be able to play as them.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Oh bugger.
Look at the hysterical little creature in my siggy. Remember that he was teased in the Wii U version.
If this is true, then the wait could get....longer.
Eugh.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm really sceptical about the conclusion of this, but after quickly looking into texts, I noticed that you bring up several times the tease by stage reveal which I need to tell that I'm directly involved into one of those now.

So, I'm going to read all, but I don't think I'll agree with everything. It should be worth the read though.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
You might not even have to buy the DLC, as it would be on the Wii U version. I mean, you already bought the game for $60, so then all you'd have to do is transfer the characters on your 3DS and you would be able to play as them.
How I wish this would happen. The cheapest and easiest way to acquire moar characters, but I think Nintendo has dollar signs in their eyes. It would not surprise me to see them pursue the most lucrative strategy, which all too often is the most painful one for us. I'm prepared for whatever's up their sleeve. I have a 3DS and am actually willing to acquire that version if the right characters are on it.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I'm not sure I completely understand...
The 3DS and Wii U versions could feature different hidden unlockable characters, upon their release. Comparing these rosters alone, they'd be different. But Sakurai also said there'd be different features that allow cross-platform connections between the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Thus, it is possible to have a cross-platform feature that allows you to transfer the hidden unlockable characters from one version to the other (and vice-versa). In the end, after doing this, both versions would have the same roster.

And then there's the other possibility that you wouldn't have to have both versions to "complete" the roster. This would be cross-platform DLC. If you purchased the 3DS version, you could conceivably use DLC to acquire those few hidden unlockable characters from the Wii U version (without having to physically own the Wii U version/console).

Essentially, both rosters would be the same---just not in the beginning.

This is a theory, though. It's possible, but not guaranteed.

Oh bugger.
Look at the hysterical little creature in my siggy. Remember that he was teased in the Wii U version.
If this is true, then the wait could get....longer.
Eugh.
Sakurai might want us all to squirm for, literally, as long as possible. He is a massive troll, after all.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
The 3DS and Wii U versions could feature different hidden unlockable characters, upon their release. Comparing these rosters alone, they'd be different. But Sakurai also said there'd be different features that allow cross-platform connections between the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Thus, it is possible to have a cross-platform feature that allows you to transfer the hidden unlockable characters from one version to the other (and vice-versa). In the end, after doing this, both versions would have the same roster.

And then there's the other possibility that you wouldn't have to have both versions to "complete" the roster. This would be cross-platform DLC. If you purchased the 3DS version, you could conceivably use DLC to acquire those few hidden unlockable characters from the Wii U version (without having to physically own the Wii U version/console).

Essentially, both rosters would be the same---just not in the beginning.

This is a theory, though. It's possible, but not guaranteed.
Ok, I think I got it. A good theory, but not sure if it'll come.

Last edited:

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
Very good theory.
It would be awesome if we would get character reveals even after the release of the 3DS version.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Very good theory.
It would be awesome if we would get character reveals even after the release of the 3DS version.
It's possible. The beauty of this theory is that it doesn't rely on that happening, though. There could be hidden characters on the Wii U version without reveals.

Again, with it being a theory and all, it's all but provable. At least, it's possible. I mainly posted this to state that speculation can still live, even after the 3DS version's launch---and that it's possible that may not be all of the characters (beyond DLC).

Ascended

Smash Ace
I will say that this theory has gotten me pretty excited for what could get revealed after the 3DS release. I hope you're right!

D

Deleted member

I like it, except for one thing: friends could "cheat" the system (no pun intended :p). Say Paul has a Wii U and 3DS, but his friends only have a 3DS. Couldn't they go to his house to get the free DLC for their games instead of buying a Wii U and the new Smash game?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, I actually read all and first: I ignored everything regarding leaks going on now (For me, false until proven true).

However, despite not agreeing with everything, it's worth consideration.

As for teasing in a way to know trends and interest, I STRONGLY AGREE.

I actually noticed some correlation with known teases about this theory. Ridley: more than a year and probably the most complex tease to decipher. It's known by a lot how solid and numbered the fanbase is.

Little mac, quite a lot of request and popularity and he got into 7 months.

Palutena was 3-4 months, but she was quite popular.

Greninja was a month. He was popular in his game, but not really requested in smash and he was basically unexpected.

And I noticed that if you check the tease trigger, it's always coming into a similar process. I made a long theory a while ago, but I'm just going to summarize it.

The tease is made by revealing something that looks completely usual, but there's something hidden. There would be an unclear info or not providing an info that should be crucial for speculation. Basically, it's like you that would interpret the outcome of this info to speculate about it.

Here's the thing: it's made to vary from people who care about the character and those who don't care. Sakurai knows that the one who care will go into a deeper thinking than the one who would not care and would assume a truth that has never been clear and even better, this truth will always contradict the true intent of tease thus, making the people who don't care deny the tease.

As for who care, the outcome is going to be mostly different. There would be reasons to believe that something seems fishy and that it could hint more towards playable for the said character.

After, there's always a waiting period to let the wind rage. Like I said earlier, the time seems to be consistent with the trends.

When revealed, the one who would be the most surprised is the one who didn't care since they denied the tease. This makes the reveal more hype than it would have without teasing.

In other words, he prepare his teases according to fanbase.

Ok, moving on...

East vs West:

That's really possible. I was too wondering why red and blue and I tough it was the logo colors of the consoles, but why Final destination?

That actually may be bad for this theory. Because if it was from console logo, the only way it would be possible for making sense with the east and west was that it was planned for smash before and if I recall, because of uprising, it wouldn't.

So, care to explain this other outcome? Because I'm sceptical.

But for the other evidences, you have a point about the unanounced one. I found that so weird to have no kirby stage (I mean c'mon, that's the freaking series that Sakurai would hype A LOT more). Having to wait for WiiU is a great possibility. Now, characters could be too by that logic, but I have to say that I'm VERY sceptical about something Sakurai said.

He implied that we would ran out of trailer for newcomers since they were reaching the bottom of the stack.

^This, is my main problem with the whole theory. Because honestly, I would expect trailers AFTER the 3ds release if it was true. Telling it at like 3 months before that release and that we will likely have another one before said release, do you think it would still work if they are running out of it?

Not to mention that for characters, waiting 3 months before getting new ones...not really consistent to not do it in trailers for at last one.

Speaking of the release gap, I have to accept the possibility because I personally think that he did the same with the SSE confirmation.

Tough, it would make sense with the consistency of NOT talking about that it's the same roster...not from the start. Saying just it's the same roster without the not from the start is indeed partial truth. Tough, he said that they shifted the release for shifting debugging period...that may hurt this theory.

Because it can't be a lie to work. It has to be for shifting the debug, but if there's another reason, it still has to do with shifting the period and this theory is not since it's marketing purpose. Would like to have your tough on it.

And lastly, I got that by analyzing the tease I was talking about, but all trailers except the pac man one that did both ALWAYS showcased the respective newcomer in a WiiU stage and not a 3ds one. Care to elaborate because according to this, it would be favoritism towards the West right?

So, I'm mostly sceptical because I see other possibility that I seem to find them more likely than this unless you can explain why those possibilities wouldn't be more likely. Tough, the point about teasing is the truth imo, but the trailers when revealed wouldn't make sense with the east west thing.

That's why I'm waiting for your answer.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I would love to see this happen. It gives the team more time and space to deliver on more characters.
Always a good thing.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Someone posted this on the GameFAQs forum and the response there has been rather negative compared to here.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
**** no, I don't want to have to pay 300+$ for a few characters. I highly doubt this will happend

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Someone posted this on the GameFAQs forum and the response there has been rather negative compared to here.
You could post any idea slightly offbeat idea from what they've already is decided is reality and they'll just make it a quote train of "Close your account."

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am still finishing reading this- perhaps this is why some people tell me to be more brief, because this certainly could be in what I've read so far (edit: yep, it was).

Though, I've basically been making these same points, and perhaps not attesting to convince people. I will read the second half in depth, yet Marketing strategy is exactly how I've been making my case for any character the entire time. It is
CRYSTAL CLEAR
to me that we will be getting more reveals after the Japanese launch; the final Jaws of life to this birthed philosophy come daily when Sakurai treats this last month of a two year sadistic revealing game as if it were any other time.

It is to him; the release date is not the reveal of all character. His nonchalant lackluster month has proven that we getting more content after Japan's release; he would not follow up so precisely for years only to fizzle off now.

I like it, except for one thing: friends could "cheat" the system (no pun intended :p). Say Paul has a Wii U and 3DS, but his friends only have a 3DS. Couldn't they go to his house to get the free DLC for their games instead of buying a Wii U and the new Smash game?
One Nintendo ID must be in sync, I would imagine.
Or at the very least, only one console game per one handheld game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom