• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
So, I main two Lightweights. Should I try to main a heavyweight, or stay in the lightweight area?

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
So, I main two Lightweights. Should I try to main a heavyweight, or stay in the lightweight area?
It's really up to you whether or not to branch out. For me, Metaknight is my only main and always has been in smash 4, and I love doubles, but I consistently have the same problems with getting killed early and for me I feel that learning just 1 new character that has a bit better survivability/zoning will help my doubles play and help me cover more MUs. if you feel comfortable where you're at with the character(s) you have, why change? imo it's probably better in the long run to only play a select few characters and master them.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Here. It all depends on your playstyle. I prefer the range of mid-to-heavyweights, usually in the weight range of 90-110, hence my main preferences being Lucario and Lucas, both in that range. Both play like light fighters but are deceptively heavy. Okay, maybe Lucario doesn't, he plays like a heavyweight, but Lucas looks like a shrimp, and while he may be, he packs a punch. If you want to use other llightweights that don't get clobbered as easily, try Fox or Marth. Both are fast characters that play like lightweights, what you're probably used to except for the jumps(And if you want a slightly heavier character, with multiple jumps, Pit/Dark Pit are your guys), but pack huge power. Marth and Fox are terrifying for me to play against, and there's a reason.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I've been wondering myself lately if I should main the random character. The random character means not having necessarily a specific main, but playing almost the entire roster at a high skill level. I won't do that, since there's characters that I'm totally not interested in or uncomfortable playing with. Because I love so many characters in Smash4, I wonder what are the advantages and disadvantages of maining the random character. My characters included in the random button are (without considering my mains and secondaries which are :4mario::4sonic: and :4luigi::4feroy: respectively) :

Smash 64 : :4link:,:4yoshi:,:4fox:,:4pikachu:and:4falcon:. Would add :4dk:and:4samus: when customs available (don't like their default)
Melee : :4bowser:,:4sheik:,:4marth:,:4falco:,:4ganondorf:,:4drmario:and:4mewtwo:. Note : prefer Falco and Ganondorf with customs, but still fine with default.
Brawl : :4metaknight:(maybe),:4pit:,:4myfriends:,:4diddy:,:4dedede:,:4wario:,:4rob:and maybe :4lucas:. Maybe :4charizard: with customs on.
Smash 4 : :4villager:,:rosalina:,:4littlemac:,:4greninja:,:4shulk:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:, :4bowserjr:(maybe), technically :4lucina:,:4darkpit:and:4ryu:. Would add :4palutena:and :4miibrawl: with customs on.

I especially have interest on Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Pit, Ike, Villager, Rosalina and Luma, Shulk, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Wario, Dark Pit and Ryu.

In total, 31 characters without customs included in the random character, and 5 characters added with customs. The ones that I've not mentionned are either characters that I found them quite uncomfortable, not good enough, boring, uninterested, or characters that I absolutely hate. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
It's really up to you whether or not to branch out. For me, Metaknight is my only main and always has been in smash 4, and I love doubles, but I consistently have the same problems with getting killed early and for me I feel that learning just 1 new character that has a bit better survivability/zoning will help my doubles play and help me cover more MUs. if you feel comfortable where you're at with the character(s) you have, why change? imo it's probably better in the long run to only play a select few characters and master them.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
"imo it's probably better in the long run to only play a select few characters and master them." Yeah, I only want 3 mains max.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Although I'm pretty settled into Ryu, Villager and Ike, just curious: Are there any characters you guys think are good to switch to after Snake got cut for the Snake mains?
It's taken me months and months to figure out who to play after Snake didn't make it back. I was having a ton of trouble settling on a character, but I think Villager is a good fit along with Ryu.

PrivateEyeball

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrivateEyeball
Howdy folks!

Thanks to the magic of Evo, I'm pretty intrigued by competitive Smash 4. And while I'm going to have a hell of a time every getting to any tournaments thanks to my work schedule (though I live in NorCal, so that helps), I figure I can at least familiarize myself with as much as possible. I've always enjoyed learning training mode stuff as much as I've enjoyed playing games, anyways.

Anyhoo, I'm curious which characters would fit my usual fighting game style. I typically enjoy some of those low-execution brawlers and grapplers who are perfectly content waiting a while, then hitting you once or twice for big damage.

I'm leaning toward Dedede for that reason, I think. But I've been surprised before, so for all I know, he requires the most execution. I'm open for all ideas, but my biggest focus is: Do a bunch of damage without too many hits.

Or the most annoying characters. Who are those?

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
Howdy folks!
I typically enjoy some of those low-execution brawlers and grapplers who are perfectly content waiting a while, then hitting you once or twice for big damage.

Or the most annoying characters. Who are those?
For a good grappler I would suggest donkey kong. He has his cargo throw, can hit very hard and he also has some pretty good customs. For most annoying character I would go with customs villager. Planking is ridiculous and villager is a character who is very capable of doing well in tournaments.

iNSANE

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNSANEwOw
Any suggestions for a character with an aggressive playstyle ? Thinking about pickung up Pikachu as my second Main.

Last edited:

micahclay

Smash Rookie
After taking forever to make up my mind, I think I've determined I want to dual main Wario and Pikachu. Do they cover each others matchups decently? Is there a better option?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I hope this is the right spot.

I am currently a :4falcon: main, but that may change.

Either way, while I have a lot to learn I think it is time to pick up a secondary because...

A. I am close to running out things that I can train against computers

B. I feel something new would be more fun

Criteria in no particular order.

• Cover Falcon's bad match ups
  • Enough speed... I don't like slow characters.
  • Some range, or something to do damage/frustrate my opponent in the neutral is nice but not required... though my instincts at this point don't tell me to play at a distance.
  • Got enough that I can train vs computers... I play with others when I can but often my play session is "Let's take a half hour break from being productive and smash"
I am open to any suggestions but consider the following

:4lucas:: My Brawl main.... I seem to play him ok in 3+ player games but on one one I need a lot of work. Ending lag on a lot of things results in punish... I can't freaking get the PK Thunder self thing to go horizontal which I had thought would be an amazing way to annoy people trying to guard the edge.
:4feroy:: I have found him fun, and have picked him up when my friends and I do "winner changes characters." but I fear his weaknesses are close to Falcons. Counter though... the game hates me and I have to time it to the micro second while others succeed if they do it within a year of being hit. (Bad joke... but that is how it feels... I suck with that move.)

:4sheik:: My 1st main... but she doesn't do as well with item free for alls as she does under tournament rules IMO... and the lack of KO power is frustrating. I have started messing with her a bit more...

Also have been thinking about :4luigi:but I am not sure I can overcome his clumsiness...

And I have heard good things about :rosalina:...

So yea... suggestions on who I should pick up?

Last edited:

Yσנιмιтѕυ

NNID
yojimitsu
So yea... suggestions on who I should pick up?
  • Cover Falcon's bad match ups: :4villager::4pacman::4mario:
  • Enough speed... I don't like slow characters: :4fox::4metaknight::4sonic:
  • Some range, or something to do damage/frustrate my opponent in the neutral is nice but not required...::4ness::4wario2::4yoshi:
  • Got enough that I can train vs computers... ::4zss::4diddy::4greninja:
A character that might cover all those criteria would be :4darkpit:/:4pit:

that's my two cents

PrivateEyeball

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrivateEyeball
Getting closer to narrowing a main choice down. Could use some input. Here's what Ihave left, I think.

:4dedede: -- Crazy amount of power. Great reach. A slow, clumsy fool, like I usually use in fighting games.
:4marth: -- Love the spacing required to get full use out of his sword. Good tool to keep myself from getting too rushy.
:4myfriends:-- Swords and power are fun. Something about his mobility seems strange to me. Like he's deceptively slow, or something.
:4mario: -- The Ryu of this game. Probably a good choice for learning competitive Smash, ya?
:4pacman: -- One of the characters I've used casually. Seems like a good pick if I want to play a more ranged, distance game?
:4darkpit: -- The other character I've used casually. Feels pretty versatile.
:4ryu: -- The Mario of a game I've played a lot of.
:4ganondorf: -- Strong-ass mofo.

I really want either "Do tons of damage with few hits" (I hate learning combos :/) or a more defensive game. Open to other ideas, too.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I guess I can never leave this board, but oh well. SO MUCH STRUGGLE TO FIND A CHARACTER! Recently, my main Sonic doesn't feel as good as before because of all the game patches! Because of this, I no longer feel the satisfying and reward type of experience with Sonic now aside of creativity! I was actually thinking of switching him with another character. Aside of Mario, I want another character with him. Here's my list of characters that I'm interested :

:4pikachu::4falcon::4pit::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4pacman::4wario2::4darkpit::4ryu:. Maybe :4myfriends::rosalina:. I have Luigi and Roy as secondaries! Maybe will put Sonic in my list of secondaries or pocket dependant! Any recommendations between these characters for Mario?

Last edited:

Yσנιмιтѕυ

NNID
yojimitsu
Getting closer to narrowing a main choice down. I really want either "Do tons of damage with few hits" (I hate learning combos :/) or a more defensive game. Open to other ideas, too.
Hm... have you tried :4lucario:? In terms of heavy hitters, he has the potential to be the heaviest hitter in the game by far. :4shulk: also falls into the high potential category

Other than that, some really fun-to-play heavy hitters/defensive characters are:
:4rob::4wario2::4samus::4villager::4bowserjr::4link:

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
So I've had smash 4 for a few months now, and I can't stop switching mains. I went from :4ness: to :4diddy: to :4falcon: to :4luigi: to :4falco: to :4fox: to :4yoshi: to :4mario: and now :4kirby:. I don't know why I can't settle on a character or two, it's annoying. Because of this, I'm not really progressing in learning the game and becoming better, because I'm not mastering a character. Any help?

Yσנιмιтѕυ

NNID
yojimitsu
So I've had smash 4 for a few months now, and I can't stop switching mains. I went from :4ness: to :4diddy: to :4falcon: to :4luigi: to :4falco: to :4fox: to :4yoshi: to :4mario: and now :4kirby:. I don't know why I can't settle on a character or two, it's annoying. Because of this, I'm not really progressing in learning the game and becoming better, because I'm not mastering a character. Any help?
Play around for as long as it takes, but find 1 character that you really really really...really like, and stick with them

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Part of getting much better at Smash is sticking with just a couple characters. I know it sounds dumb, that it might be the mark of a better player to just play and learn everyone, but seriously, stick with one, two, or even three if you can't tear yourself away from that many fighters. As someone who's struggled through the whole roster over and over for months trying to find a character to replace my beloved bearded handsome sexy tast- the fighter known as Snake. Just recently, I've sat down, and told myself to stop playing anyone but Villager and Ryu. And what would you know? I'm trashing people who had three stocked me before. Restrict yourself. It works.

Of course, I'm a very shifty person by nature. After playing Ryu for the 8th time in a row, I really feel like playing Meta Knight or Lucas, but I force myself to stick with Ryu. And I can honestly say, it's made me a better player. Even if you have to let go of characters you love, just pick a couple.

What I did is play Ryu for a straight week. Nobody else allowed. And wouldn't you know it, now I can't tear myself away from the fighter. I'm learning so much, I'm beating my previously unbeatable rivals... Think you have a couple characters you like? Pick one, and just play that character for a week or two. You'll feel the difference.

Also, love to all the Meta Knight players out there. He's great.

Any suggestions for a character with an aggressive playstyle ? Thinking about pickung up Pikachu as my second Main.
Pikachu is a really respectable choice. He's one of the most technical fighters though, so to get good with him you really gotta put in time and work. He's a monster, just go watch ESam. xD

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Another way of doing things is a way I intend to try since I have so many characters I'm sort of interested in, but none stand out as my "main". You can carry a repertoire of characters and use different characters for different MUs. Like, ideally you could counterpick most opponents, or at least rarely be forced into playing a bad matchup. So if you play a bunch of characters at a decent level, maybe go through every character in the game and think about who you would bring to fight each character. Just a thought, though I doubt this is a great way of doing things.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
So I'm just really starting to get competitive, and want an easy main to pick up to start off with, does anyone have any reccomendations?

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
So I'm just really starting to get competitive, and want an easy main to pick up to start off with, does anyone have any reccomendations?
Honestly, with how much variety and depth each character brings, there isn't really a single character who's "easy" to just pick up and main. Honestly, just play random until you come across someone who feels good, then stick with them for a while to see if you like them.

Me, I'd just pick up someone like Ness, Mario, Lucina... Just try them all and see. :D

EDIT: What I mean to say, is that you shouldn't be afraid of maining a wrong character. Every single character in this game is wonderfully balanced, and you can succeed at a high level with any of them. There's plenty of low tier fighters out there who could kick my ass, anyway.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, with how much variety and depth each character brings, there isn't really a single character who's "easy" to just pick up and main. Honestly, just play random until you come across someone who feels good, then stick with them for a while to see if you like them.

Me, I'd just pick up someone like Ness, Mario, Lucina... Just try them all and see. :D

Alright thanks! :D

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
My Pit is terrible. My Pit belongs in a pit.
Its just the match ups that scare me. I never use Pit as a first choice. It the recovery that scares me. I get scared of being spiked, not teching ASAP, And the damn bowling ball from villager. Plus Pit is **** in lag. So yeah.
I main like 10 people. I don't want to fire Pit, but I will if it helps me win.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
My Pit is terrible. My Pit belongs in a pit.
Its just the match ups that scare me. I never use Pit as a first choice. It the recovery that scares me. I get scared of being spiked, not teching ASAP, And the damn bowling ball from villager. Plus Pit is **** in lag. So yeah.
I main like 10 people. I don't want to fire Pit, but I will if it helps me win.
I've heard that pit mains do have some trouble, but one of my best friends mains an incredible Pit. What he's told me about playing Pit is that you have to be very confident and sure of yourself to do well with him. Once you get a Pit on the defensive, slip through his maze of pretty great hitboxes, it's tough for the Pit player to bring it back.

I myself don't use Pit, but seems like he's one of those characters like Charizard or Bowser that you have to have complete control over to succeed. That stuff might take time, and quite a few losses, but if you're set on Pit it can be done! Don't give up. I recommend posting replays in a Pit critique thread or something.

If you really just aren't feeling it, try playing others for a while. Find someone in the range of characters you play to commit to. Good luck man. :D

ozydandias

Smash Rookie
NNID
bizarro_dan
3DS FC
4055-6638-3178
Hey, dudes. I'm a Bowser Jr (Morton, specifically) main. Any just general advice? I started doing smash ladder and I lost all of the Bo3 games. My opponent's told me I had some good reactions and my Bowjo is solid, but I feel like there's some ways to improve. This might not be the right thread for that, but there might be some knowledge to be dropped!

I don't really have a secondary. I kind of bounce around between Falco, Greninja and Ness.

Tycon

Smash Rookie
After playing Wii fit Trainer (especially after the buff) I find I love the character but the poor range and hit boxes tend to be frustrating along with a very lack luster grab and most of all the insane lag on smashes/some aerials. She has a very aerial focused feel to her similar to how I felt about melee Jigglypuff (Smash 4 Jiggly doesn't feel the same to me, especially with pound changes). Any help towards looking at a character with particularly desirable traits would help greatly.

General Qualities that pertain to Jigglypuff and Wii Fit Trainer but aren't them (I don't like how they play in this game)

Qualities I don't care for or aren't a priority:
-Weight is a non factor, playing jiggly for so long light characters are fine. Weight is gravy
-Damage or kill potential isn't a priority, while having kill options is good, good play and gimping help in this.
-Roll doesn't have to be good
-Reflectors or projectile counters aren't necessary, perfect shield or spot doge work fine
-Counters are unwanted
-Wall jumps aren't important
-Run speed isn't particularly important
-F-Tilt doesn't have to be good
-Jab doesn't need to be great as long as one of the tilt attacks make up for poor jab

Qualities I desire or care about:
-Highly Preferred some kind of projectile (even if lackluster or bad)
-At least 1 aerial move that auto cancels rather early or has low landing lag.
-Preferred a good Nair or Fair
-Preferably floaty in the air. Either with a stall move, low gravity, low fall speed or high air acceleration. Air mobility in general
-Good range on normals/hit boxes
-Good crouch, reduced hurtbox or height profile as much as possible
-Good Down-Tilt! it's my preferred tilt. Followed by up-tilt as a 2nd priorty then f-tilt as least preferred.
-At least decent recovery, generally goes hand and hand with floaty feeling characters
-An above average dash attack.
-OOS options are a plus
-Tools or potential options though odd moves are a great plus

Thanks for any or all advise and help. If Ivysaur were in this game maybe finding a nice balance of good normals with odd tools wouldn't be hard to find.

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
Hey, dudes. I'm a Bowser Jr (Morton, specifically) main. Any just general advice? I started doing smash ladder and I lost all of the Bo3 games. My opponent's told me I had some good reactions and my Bowjo is solid, but I feel like there's some ways to improve. This might not be the right thread for that, but there might be some knowledge to be dropped!

I don't really have a secondary. I kind of bounce around between Falco, Greninja and Ness.
http://smashboards.com/forums/bowser-jr.504/
This is the section for all Bowser Jr stuff. Ask around there and you should get some solid answers and advice.

j3lly

Smash Cadet
I currently main the MOTHER boys (Ness and Lucas) and I love them to death. I tend to struggle somewhat to Rosalina's and swordsmen.

Captain Falcon covered most of Ness' weaknesses in the early stages in the game but then Sakurai's kids told him that they view Falcon as more of a father figure than him and ever since then Sakurai has gone on a mad spree of nerfs to the Cap so I'm worried about spending more effort on him.

Who is a good character against characters disjointed hitboxes like Marth, Shulk and Link who can also deal with very defensive characters? I play around with Luigi, Falcon, Sheik, Puff and ROB.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I guess I can never leave this board, but oh well. SO MUCH STRUGGLE TO FIND A CHARACTER! Recently, my main Sonic doesn't feel as good as before because of all the game patches! Because of this, I no longer feel the satisfying and reward type of experience with Sonic now aside of creativity! I was actually thinking of switching him with another character. Aside of Mario, I want another character with him. Here's my list of characters that I'm interested :

:4pikachu::4falcon::4pit::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4pacman::4wario2::4darkpit::4ryu:. Maybe :4myfriends::rosalina:. I have Luigi and Roy as secondaries! Maybe will put Sonic in my list of secondaries or pocket dependant! Any recommendations between these characters for Mario?
Never mind about this message! Anyway, any good character to counter :4mario:and :4feroy:weaknesses? I want character variety in terms of gameplay style! Mario is my balanced and Roy is my spacing/aggressive. I thought of a zoning character. Here are the characters that I'm now interested : :4luigi::4falcon::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4pacman::4wario2::4ryu:. I'm only in a semi-competitive environment, but I really want to play at high skill levels of competitive play. Like want to be like the levels of top professionals like Ally, Nairo and ZeRo. There's no tournaments in my region whatsover which sucks.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
General Qualities that pertain to Jigglypuff and Wii Fit Trainer but aren't them (I don't like how they play in this game)

-Highly Preferred some kind of projectile (even if lackluster or bad) :4bowserjr::4fox::4mario::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4yoshi::4zss:
-At least 1 aerial move that auto cancels rather early or has low landing lag :4bowserjr:.:4fox::4megaman::4mario::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:
-Preferred a good Nair or Fair :4bowserjr: :4fox::4mario::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:
-Preferably floaty in the air. Either with a stall move, low gravity, low fall speed or high air acceleration. Air mobility in general :4fox:(stall move), :4mario: (floaty, stall move), :4ness: (floaty), :4olimar: (floaty), :4sheik: (high aerial mobility) :4villager: (stall move), :4wario:(floaty) , :4yoshi: (floaty, stall move), :4zss: (high aerial mobility)
-Good range on normals/hit boxes :4bowserjr: :4fox::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4yoshi::4zss:
-Good crouch, reduced hurtbox or height profile as much as possible :4mario: :4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4villager::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:
-Good Down-Tilt! it's my preferred tilt. Followed by up-tilt as a 2nd priorty then f-tilt as least preferred. :4bowserjr: :4fox::4megaman::4olimar::4sheik::4villager::4wario:
-At least decent recovery, generally goes hand and hand with floaty feeling characters :4bowserjr: :4fox::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:
-An above average dash attack. :4fox::4mario::4ness::4sheik::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:
-OOS options are a plus :4bowserjr::4fox::4mario::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:
-Tools or potential options though odd moves are a great plus :4bowserjr: :4mario::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4sheik::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4yoshi::4zss:

Thanks for any or all advise and help. If Ivysaur were in this game maybe finding a nice balance of good normals with odd tools wouldn't be hard to find.
These could apply to a good number of people so I made notes above to who might be a good fit for you. You may want to break things down even more if you want a more accurate recommendation. For example:

-What are the two characters you hate playing against the most?
-Do you want someone who is likely to gimp?
-How important are grab set ups to you?
-Do you see yourself as more defensive or offensive as a player?
-Which do you prefer? Stringing together hits or getting in big hits that count?
-How important is spacing to your playstyle?
-How do you do against campy players?
-How do you do against extremely aggressive players?
-Are you okay with working for your kills or do you want them to come easily and as soon as you need them?
-Are you okay with picking up someone with a high learning curve?

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
After playing Wii fit Trainer (especially after the buff) I find I love the character but the poor range and hit boxes tend to be frustrating along with a very lack luster grab and most of all the insane lag on smashes/some aerials. She has a very aerial focused feel to her similar to how I felt about melee Jigglypuff (Smash 4 Jiggly doesn't feel the same to me, especially with pound changes). Any help towards looking at a character with particularly desirable traits would help greatly.

Qualities I don't care for or aren't a priority:
-Weight is a non factor, playing jiggly for so long light characters are fine. Weight is gravy
-Damage or kill potential isn't a priority, while having kill options is good, good play and gimping help in this.
-Roll doesn't have to be good
-Reflectors or projectile counters aren't necessary, perfect shield or spot doge work fine
-Counters are unwanted
-Wall jumps aren't important
-Run speed isn't particularly important
-F-Tilt doesn't have to be good
-Jab doesn't need to be great as long as one of the tilt attacks make up for poor jab

-Highly Preferred some kind of projectile (even if lackluster or bad)
-At least 1 aerial move that auto cancels rather early or has low landing lag.
-Preferred a good Nair or Fair
-Preferably floaty in the air. Either with a stall move, low gravity, low fall speed or high air acceleration. Air mobility in general
-Good range on normals/hit boxes
-Good crouch, reduced hurtbox or height profile as much as possible
-Good Down-Tilt! it's my preferred tilt. Followed by up-tilt as a 2nd priorty then f-tilt as least preferred.
-At least decent recovery, generally goes hand and hand with floaty feeling characters
-An above average dash attack.
-OOS options are a plus
-Tools or potential options though odd moves are a great plus

Sounds like Wario may be your guy. He has very good air mobility, a great down tilt and good fair, very good recovery, a projectile and setup tool in his bike, a dash attack that trips 100% of the time if spaced properly, and a bunch of odd tricks with his bike and Waft. He does lack range, but his back air is good like Puff's! His command grab is an excellent mixup tool that beats shields. (I wish that Puff had something similar!). He isn't perfect but in a lot of ways he's like Puff and in a lot of ways he is better.

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
These could apply to a good number of people so I made notes above to who might be a good fit for you. You may want to break things down even more if you want a more accurate recommendation. For example:

-What are the two characters you hate playing against the most?
-Do you want someone who is likely to gimp?
-How important are grab set ups to you?
-Do you see yourself as more defensive or offensive as a player?
-Which do you prefer? Stringing together hits or getting in big hits that count?
-How important is spacing to your playstyle?
-How do you do against campy players?
-How do you do against extremely aggressive players?
-Are you okay with working for your kills or do you want them to come easily and as soon as you need them?
-Are you okay with picking up someone with a high learning curve?
ok can you find mine.
I hate playing pikachu and yoshi the most.
love gimping whenever I can
grab set ups are great but not 100% necessary (but love them as a good punish option)
I like to play defensive a lot but try to go offensive for the kill
I prefer getting big hits where they count
Spacing is good but I prefer my focus to be on predictions and reactions rather than worry about perfectly timing my attacks.
Against camp I use a reflector or projectile absorber if it's available. Otherwise I rush them down.
Against aggressive players (low level player-predict and easily punish) (high level player-try to counter attack where I can and I move around a lot so I don't give them free grab set ups)
I prefer to get my kills when I need them.
I wouldn't mind picking up someone with a high learning curve.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ok can you find mine.
I hate playing pikachu and yoshi the most.
love gimping whenever I can
grab set ups are great but not 100% necessary (but love them as a good punish option)
I like to play defensive a lot but try to go offensive for the kill
I prefer getting big hits where they count
Spacing is good but I prefer my focus to be on predictions and reactions rather than worry about perfectly timing my attacks.
Against camp I use a reflector or projectile absorber if it's available. Otherwise I rush them down.
Against aggressive players (low level player-predict and easily punish) (high level player-try to counter attack where I can and I move around a lot so I don't give them free grab set ups)
I prefer to get my kills when I need them.
I wouldn't mind picking up someone with a high learning curve.
Okay, yours' is a little bit easier to deduce. Good fits for you based on these traits would be:

:4falcon::rosalina::4yoshi:

Based on what you said, you want a character who can reasonably switch between being defensive and offensive on a whim. As a player, the characters you have a hard time with suggest that sometimes you have issues with characters with hit and run tactics so you want someone with either enough mobility to get in and stop them or with good enough defensive options to force them to approach. You want someone with safe and dependable kill options. You want someone with very rewarding hard reads but not necessarily any extra mental work and calculating to get them. Finally, you want someone who can reasonably rush down characters but doesn't rely heavily on spacing or stringing attacks together. With all these things put into consideration, these three are you best options for your ideal character.

Plesioth

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheBlackWaltzKeo
I'm back, although I need secondary/pocket character advice.

My main is :4villagerf:, and my secondary is :4gaw:(been a main since Melee). My biggest problem is rushdown, as :4villagerf: is the keepaway king/queen, he/she get demolished by pretty much every high tier if they know what they doing, and my :4gaw: still needs work. :rosalina: also just laugh at Villager's whole keepaway game, so that also an issue.

I did thought of some characters that interest me as a pocket, but keep in mind i'm willing to use others outside of these characters.

:4littlemac:: Seems to handle rushdown well and fun IMO, but any throw + a aerial past 50%=GGs.
:4jigglypuff:: Seems fun, but a little too high risk with rest and dying at 70%.
:4wiifit:: Waifu status, but seem to have the same gameplan as Villager. Might handle rushdown a little better, but i'm not sure. Need more research with WFT in general.
:4duckhunt:: Interesting as a character, but seem like a worse Villager with having a mainly ranged moveset, with a worse recovery and worse kill options.
:4rob:: Secondary from Brawl, so i have SOME experience. Seem to mix close up with ranged, and having a heavy would be nice given my mains, but from what i heard also have trouble with rushdown(Seem to be a common theme with people i'm interested in).
:4falcon:,:4zss:, and :4sonic:: Solves my problem, but IMO boring to play as.
:rosalina:: 2nd best waifu, also top tier. Barely know anything of her though.

Overall, the characters that interest me(the most) are :4littlemac:, :4wiifit:, and :4rob:.

TL;DR:Need a pocket/secondary for :4villagerf: and :4gaw: to deal with rushdown, but bored of the actual rushdown characters.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I play Marth and Roy, but those two have their own weaknesses in certain matchups that I want to cover. Any suggestions?

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
I have the same problem a couple of you guys have, in that I just can't stick to a character. It's gotten to the point that I almost have a flavor of the week. And there is the benefit of understanding how many of the characters play and what they do, so I understand how to play against most of the cast, but I understand that this also limits my skill to any one character and will probably hold me back. So I guess I need advice on either how to stay dedicated to one, two, or even three characters, or maybe give me advice on who to main/ secondary based on my preferences.

Top Bottom