• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mach Rider For SSB4 Thread!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Has nobody mentioned the Ninka Leak here? Really?

I'm almost convinced Mach Rider is playable at this point.
The same leaker who gave us video footage, proves info in a leak posted just before that with some characters from that leak, and also Mewtwo, Ridley, and Dixie Kong.
There were later claims that these 3 were in the game, along with another 3: MACH RIDER, Impa, and Chorus Men.
Since then, there has been another leak saying the same sort of thing: Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie, Impa, and MACH RIDER are in (didn't mention Chorus Men). Many rumors have been going around, all with very similar lists that connect to the Ninka and ERSB Leaks. It's all coming together.
So... honestly, we can finally get our hopes up a little, really, I think Mach Rider is actually in the game!

Get hyped!
Ninka Leak only had Bowser Jr., DHD, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Shulk on it. The other characters were added by someone else.

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
You know, as the Super Smash Bros. series goes on, and I see more outlandish choices being included, my horizons have expanded and now I want even more ridiculous (and awesome) character choices.

Mach Rider never occurred to me, until one supposedly rumor said that he'll be playable along with Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and Impa (this supposedly came from the person that leaked that screenshot of the roster, though I'm pretty sure that's not true, since said person as well as anyone associated with them have remained silent ever since that particular leak, and for good reason).

Old me, the me of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, would probably dismiss the idea, saying that since Mach Rider primarily rides a motorcycle, and since that would be hard to implement in Super Smash Bros., he wouldn't be likely at all, though I've seen original rosters come from otherwise blank-slate characters. One could use the setting of the game Mach Rider and what he does in the game as a means to create a workable moveset, while delegating his motorcycle to either his Final Smash or certain other moves. ...Plus one could say that they made a moveset for Captain Falcon despite him only ever appearing in his F-Zero machine in his games, though I feel that doesn't count, since C. Falcon's moveset was a leftover from a character from back when Super Smash Bros. was known as Dragon King: The Fighting Game.

Plus, the game Mach Rider is actually really good, especially considering it's an NES game. It's hard, like you'd expect, but it's unique, and it has a rather dark tone (well, dark by Nintendo standards, especially back in the day), and if I recall correctly, the Mach Rider was, at one point, Sakurai's most-wanted character for Super Smash Bros. (can I have a source on that please, since I forgot where I read that).

So I'm totally for Mach Rider being playable! At the very least, I think he deserves a trophy like in Melee.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I just found this video of what a new Road Rash game could look like but I immediately thought what if we got a new Mach Rider game that payed homage to Road Rash and you killed aliens on different highways? Mach Rider could have the reboot look from Melee as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just found this video of what a new Road Rash game could look like but I immediately thought what if we got a new Mach Rider game that payed homage to Road Rash and you killed aliens on different highways? Mach Rider could have the reboot look from Melee as well.

From what I understand, needs more guns at the front of the bike and Rider suits
Nice to see this thread move for once

Chase

Smash Ace
I used to find Mach Rider boring, but now I've grown fond of her (YES, I consider Mach Rider a female. Bite me). So...I guess this is a bit of a late support, but here I am! Here's to our mysterious biker lady(?)!

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think of Mach Rider's chances for DLC?
Honestly? As sad as I am to say this, pretty much nil. I really can't see it. DLC has to be wildly popular characters, or people won't bother. Mach Rider is more of the hidden, Duck Hunt type.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Count me in. I never played Mach Rider, but looking at how the Big Blue stage in Melee uses a rock remix of its music, I'd kinda like seeing Mach Rider in Smash.

MatvaradoxD

Smash Cadet
Now that Character DLC is confirmed due to the Smash Bros Ballot, I definitely think it's worth the try to get Mach Rider in by voting for him.

I love Mach Rider and think he'd be an interesting character. I can just picture myself duking it out as Mach Rider against the other characters while jamming out to his theme.

Count me in as a supporter and please let's get this thread out of the shadows so we can get other people to vote for him too!

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
I want mach rider since brawl, please add me to the support list.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I definitely support. (S)he could bring a lot of interesting stuff to the table, I'd be very happy to see hir~

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This thread is for everyone to use to discuss Mach Rider and Smash 4. Please keep things respectful and follow the rules of the site.

After destroying the Quadrunners in 2112, a man was looking for a new challenge. He looked all over the world for people to challenge him and his ability, but no one was willing to face him. After searching for years, he finally got an invitation sent to him stating this:

"You have been awaiting the fight of your life. Come and join other Smashers and fight with the mightiest of warriors."

He was immediately interested. This was his chance to show what he was made off and he was prepared to risk his own life for this event. He was..."

Mach Rider!!!

Mach Rider is a character who stars in the 1985 game of the same name. While the game has not received a sequel, the game was a major influence to F-zero as both are in a futuristic settings with incredibly high speed and contain aggressive drivers. As a matter of fact, Mach Rider even shares some similarity with Captain Falcon. In a way, F-zero is considered Mach Rider's spiritual predecessor.

He is also an often overlooked candidate for Super Smash Bros. 4, as a matter of fact, probably one of the most underrated characters. Mach Rider is a very plausible contender that is worthy of a spot and certainly worth consideration.

Does Mach Rider Meet All Four Criterias?

Let's take a look at Sakurai's four criteria's. The most important thing that Sakurai considers when adding characters are these criteria as every character from Brawl meets them:

1.: A character must make the character want to play the game
95% of people will say he obviously fail this criteria due to not being a popular request, but if Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. taught us anything, it's that a character can meet this criteria and not be a popular request. What Sakurai also considers is if the character is likable and as such, can be made into popular characters that people will never want to let go. Mach Rider has the potential to be the next Captain Falcon or Ice Climbers.

2.: A character must be unique
People will say this destroys Mach Rider's chance of being in Smash as well due to limited move set potentials, but by that logic, Captain Falcon wouldn't be eligible for Smash as well. Look at Captain Falcon, he was completely unique when he got into Smash. The thing about Captain Falcon that got him in was not that he had a bunch of fights to deal with, but that he was capable of fighting and his style reflects that of the fast pace and intense nature of his games. Mach Rider would also be able to reflect his own game as well and he techincally has more move set potentials than Captain Falcon due to having a machine gun.

3.: A character must fit into the game
Detractors will argue that because he was in a bike that he can't be in. That argument is fallicious because Captain Falcon was almost always only seen in his Blue Falcon and never seen fighting, yet behold, he was in all of the Smash games.

4.: A character must contribute to the game balance
Given that he fits the uniquenss and fitting criteria, I'd say he fits this one as well.

Why believe he could show up?
Several reasons.

The first reason is because he's the spiritual predecessor to F-zero. Given that F-zero was an important series to Nintendo, this gives Mach Rider some source of importance because it was the inspiration for the series and without it, we wouldn't have F-zero, or at least not the same way. At any rate, considering that it's more important to Nintendo than Ice Climbers was to Nintendo, it's certainly a plus.

Interesting as well is that he was Sakurai's favorite character for Super Smash Bros. 2. Unlike with Balloon Figher, Urban Champion, Bubbles, and Excitebike, Sakurai did not rule out Mach Rider as a candidate. It shows that he clearly had Mach Rider in the mind for Smash 2 so with the retro pool dwindling, there is more of a reason for Sakurai to consider him again over Lip and Duck Hunt Dog (although I feel Takamaru will be in as well with Mach Rider).

There's also this to note. Sakurai has stated that he loves to revive retro characters in Smash. This essentially confirms that a retro rep is going to be in, but what's interesting is how this can link to Mach Rider's appearance.

Let's compare Takamaru, Lip, and Duck Hunt Dog, the three other choices Sakurai could make:

Lip: There's not much of a reason for Sakurai to revive this game. If Sakurai is going to revive a retro character, he wants to revive ones he can do a lot with and puzzle genre simply do not work.

Duck Hunt Dog: Why would he revive Duck Hunt Dog? This is something that can be made into a downloadable game and be called a day and I seriously doubt Sakurai is going to plan his next project as small as this one.

Takamaru: The only other potential option left, but this one is unlikely. One is that he, in a way, has already been revived. He's appeared in Samurai Warriors 3, Captain Rainbow, WarioWare: D.I.Y., and is going to be in Nintendo Land. So Sakurai reviving him would be futile as he is already revived. And beside, Takamaru is likely to show up without a revival by Sakurai anyway.

What Mach Rider has over them is that he has yet to be revived like Takamaru and unlike Lip and Duck Hunt Dog, leaves a lot of room to be revived. If Sakurai is truly planning to revive a retro character, chances are that he's going to go with Mach Rider.

Game Play Discussion:

As I have been harping on, Mach Rider leaves a lot of room for interpretation by Sakurai.

Mach Rider, if he were to get in, would be close to Captain Falcon's speed. He would be heavier and would work as a rushdown monster; someone that is fast and uses speed to his advantage.

If there are any supporters out there with a move set or ideas for one, that would be gladly appreciated.

People Who Support Mach Rider's Inclusion For Super Smash Bros. 4:
* Super Smash Bros. Fan ~ Leader of the Group, #2 Fan
* Jhonnykiller45
* GoldenYuittusin
* Oasis_S ~ #1 Fan
* Venus of the Desert Bloom
* R.O.B.
* 8-peacock-8
* Mypantsisgone
* Cider
* Young Horsetail
* DakotaBonez
* SubparSmashBrother
* jigglover
* MelMoe
* shinhed-echi
* Onyx Oblivion
* samusrules93
* Diddy Kong
I support Mach Rider! Can I be on the list?

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Hi Mach Rider as a concept of fighter reminds me to Mad Max, it could return as a Non-Ballot or Ballot character xD
It's very showy and funny to me.
I want support us.
I want to be in the list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom