• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelia

Smash Champion
@ Wintropy Wintropy While an interesting idea... it just wouldn't be fair to the character. And I say this because of one other character - Dr. Mario. The Doc could've easily been an alt, but was made a fighter, even bringing back his taunt, some victory poses, and even the exact same moveset from SSBM. Relegating Roy to an alternate costume slot just wouldn't cut it; the addition of Doc as his own playable entity clearly shows Sakurai remembers and respects veterans of the past, clones and all.

Sakurai's mentioned how characters "that differ enough" from whom they're intended to be an alt costume of get their own slot. In this case, Roy is known for his fire prowess. Marth (or in your example, Chrom) lacks this quality. Just as Doc throwing pills and lacking FLUDD, or Dark Pit using his staff for his FS and Electroshock for his side special, warranted those characters a slot, Roy utilizing a fire element on his sword would be enough to keep him from being an alt of Marth or the like. That, and he still has a pretty faithful and somewhat vocal fanbase.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm inclined to agree with the notion that it would potentially alienate his fanbase. I'm a big fan of Doc and I have frequently made the case that he couldn't be an alt of Mario, as you can't replicate the elemental attributes of Mario's fireballs with Doc's neutral-attribute Megavitamins. It'd be a similar case with Roy, and removing the fire mechanic of the Blazing Sword would almost certainly be considered a much, much bigger deal than simply setting some colourful pills on fire.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm ambivalent towards Roy as a character, though it's not out of malice or spite. It's moreso that I prefer a lot of other Fire Emblem characters over him - and, having never played Fuuin no Tsurugi, I have no real attachment to him from an emotional or nostalgic perspective. I'm more a fan of Lucina and, in terms of potential newcomers, Tiki. I'll admit that I find myself coming back time and time again to the mentality of "well he's just another Lord with a fiery sword".

What I realise now, though, is that that's pretty unfair. Every Fire Emblem character has a reason for being in the roster. Marth is the poster boy of the series and the original hero, Ike is the protagonist of the popular Tellius saga, Robin is the representative of the breakout hit Awakening and Lucina was added as a bonus freebie for fans of her character. They all have a reason for being there, and whereas Marth is a perennial presence in the mythos Robin represents the Tactician element of the series, characters like Ike and Lucina have little else to bolster their presence except that they're unique (in the case of Ike) and easy to make (in the case of Lucina).

Really, the more I think about it, the more I think that there's no reason why Roy shouldn't be in the game. I'm realising now that, despite being fan favouriteS and bringing the series back from obscurity in Japan and into the western world in the first place, the GBA series is sorely lacking in representation. Roy would fill that niche perfectly and appeal to long-term fans of both Fire Emblem and Smash.

The only thing standing in his way as it stands, I think, is his perceived "uniqueness". I struggle to consider him as justifiably likely as DLC if he remains a clone, possibly even semi-clone, as it would cause a lot of controversy in the same way as Doc, Dark Pit and Lucina did for the base roster. Were he to be revamped and reconsidered with new moves and skills, though - or possibly even just Luigified - I think there's very, very little reason why he can't, or indeed shouldn't, appear.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
The only thing standing in his way as it stands, I think, is his perceived "uniqueness". I struggle to consider him as justifiably likely as DLC if he remains a clone, possibly even semi-clone, as it would cause a lot of controversy in the same way as Doc, Dark Pit and Lucina did for the base roster. Were he to be revamped and reconsidered with new moves and skills, though - or possibly even just Luigified - I think there's very, very little reason why he can't, or indeed shouldn't, appear.
Pretty much this. Melee Roy doesn't add anything to the gameplay, is just another Marth clone with some fire attack and a bit slower. While I actually have some nostalgia for that moveset, I think Roy should be a bit reworked to be more similar to his original game (the Sword of Seals granted him a ranged attack, for example), so he could be between Marth and Ike in term of playstyle, with some noticiable difference.

For istance, his neutral B attack could be a ranged fire attack a la Din's Fire, his forward smash could be the Flare Blade from melee: he hold the sword with both hands and do a single powerful fire based attack; if fully charged, he unleash a fire explosion around him that damage himself a bit too. And so on.

Just to be more clear, you can see like this:
Mario -> Marth
Dr. Mario -> Lucina (a clone with some difference)
Wario -> Ike (a bit forced, I know, but let's pretend Wario is just a salopette fighter from Mario games)
Peach -> Robin (from same franchise, but with very different gameplay for obvious reasons)
Luigi -> Roy (very different from the "original", but with many moves in common)

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
In Project M Mario does have Doc as an Alt but when you switch to him his properties slightly change and they incorporated both Mario and Docs move into one character. That would be impossible for Marth and Roy since they are opposites and they have different moves

royalblue

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone! I'm a very longtime lurker (of Smashboards in general, but of this thread especially) and I wanted to finally get myself an account so I can join in on the discussion. Roy has been my very favorite character for many years and I would like nothing more than to see him return to Smash, and this thread has been a huge source of hope and inspiration. It's so nice to see all the people who want our boy back as much as I do! You guys are awesome!

Also, please add me to the list of supporters!

I had an interesting idea. When we get Roy back, what do you think about a Leif alternate costume? It makes sense, considering Leif was going to be in Melee until the concept for Roy was shown, and he fits much better on Roy than any other lord would.

Eliwood, for instance. People always suggest him when Roy alternate costumes come to mind. Yet they don't suggest him when they suggest Lyndis/Hector :crying:. While he's my favorite character of all time, I still believe the Roy costume suggestion is nonsense. Durandal, the sword of sacred flame, doesn't use fire in its attacks, plus looking at Marth/Lucina's sword range tells me that it simply wouldn't work on any character with that kind of sword range. The prototype Durandal is out of the question, since it's a prototype and not what everyone knows out of the people who know about the Fire Emblem incarnation of the sword. Though it would be cool if they found a way to make it work, I'm just skeptical from all angles.

Leif makes a lot of sense. The Fire Sword, possibly the most common magic weapon in Jugdral, could easily be made to fit the Sword of Seals' fire properties. The Light Sword could also be given visual effects of holy light/flame rather than red flame like Roy. Both lords have leaping attacks, strong acrobatic ability in their criticals, and are **** on by players who suck at using them and players who suck at Fire Emblem overall, so there's at least a little connection.

I don't think Roy would receive the alternate costume treatment since only a few others received it, but it's just an idea.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Leif makes a lot of sense. The Fire Sword, possibly the most common magic weapon in Jugdral, could easily be made to fit the Sword of Seals' fire properties. The Light Sword could also be given visual effects of holy light/flame rather than red flame like Roy. Both lords have leaping attacks, strong acrobatic ability in their criticals, and are **** on by players who suck at using them and players who suck at Fire Emblem overall, so there's at least a little connection.

I don't think Roy would receive the alternate costume treatment since only a few others received it, but it's just an idea.
LOL so true.

While Marth does have a palette swap that slightly resemble Leif's colouring, Roy having a Leif alt isn't impossible. It's just unfortunate that only a few fighters received full on alts. There's a lot of awesome costume ideas the FE cast could have in particular. Well, you know me, I'm a strong advocate for Marth to receive this:

C'mon... maybe for DLC? :awesome:

^lol who let this fool in the thread
Umm. O.o

I'm running a poll across multiple sites and I could use more votes. Is anyone interested?
Sure, why not.

Me when playing no pants Marth:

Also, do you think his sword will cover his junk in his attack animations?

btw, I am Masonry the Brick Lord, I just decided to dig up an old account for that sexy join date and I'm waiting on a name change right now.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Regarding Leif, if he did make it into Melee, would we remember him as strongly as we do Roy?

Edit - it looks like FE14 isn't going to feature Our Boy Roy.
If anything, I imagine Roy could be relegated to Einherjar status again. But one thing I do have to say is that it's amazing based on the footage.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Also, do you think his sword will cover his junk in his attack animations?
Oh man, that would be so glorious... Though, I suspect Marth would just have a dark void up his skirt tunic.

Regarding Leif, if he did make it into Melee, would we remember him as strongly as we do Roy?
It's hard to say. Roy does have TEH PHIR3, and FE6 is a more accessible game. Perhaps Sakurai could have gave Leif something that would make him stand out (even if he'd be a clone), but in the end he didn't. At least, Leif does look visually different than Marth, and hey, he doesn't have blue hair. So there's that. =P

Last edited:
They do need to cover his Dark Dragon with something other than the Sword of Light.

I don't believe Leif would have been as memorable, but I would be happy with his appearance nonetheless. I didn't truly play the FE characters or really think of them much until I got into FE in 2010. Then I started to really love them all. Thracia also ended up being one of my favorite Fire Emblem games, it's definitely underappreciated.

On the very rare chance he does appear again due to being one of the first ideas for an FE character to join SSB, seeing him use the variety of weapon types he does in FE4 (swords, lances, axes, bows, staves, all magic except dark) would be amazing. As a Firion main in Dissidia, I know he'd permanently be one of my mains or top picks. My reaction time with Firion was insane years ago.

Tantei

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedSouji
3DS FC
1375-7405-0216
I have emerged from the depths of lurkerville to say that I would really like it if Roy came back as DLC. With a new moveset to make him different than marth/lucina. I'd also like it if they used his Awakening DLC design.

Please add me to the list of supporters.

Also, Apex is on its way in just a week, which is hosted by Nintendo this year.

Our best bet is to try and get at least one commentator who supports Roy to voice it on stream, and to get any Roy supporters going to Apex to speak to a Nintendo representative about Roy, this thread, the royforsmash4.com website, The Royvolution on Facebook, and support for Roy on Miiverse. Also be sure to mention that we want FE6 to come to the west in one way or another.

We have one shot at this in a week, this could be a defining point for The Lycia Alliance.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm a Fire Emblem fan, and my favorite game is Sword of Seals/Binding

Royourboy :roypm:

I want to support this

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
ROY'S OUR BOY!!!!!

He'd be a much better Marth-ish character than Lucina, and you could give him some unique moves like the project M f tilt.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Sorry, I don't tag people when I add them to the supporters list. But I try to add people asap when they post. @ _Magus_ _Magus_ would you like to be added to the supporters list? unless you already asked and I missed it

But if I missed anyone don't be shy and just post again. I can be forgetful at times haha

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Sorry, I don't tag people when I add them to the supporters list. But I try to add people asap when they post. @ _Magus_ _Magus_ would you like to be added to the supporters list? unless you already asked and I missed it

But if I missed anyone don't be shy and just post again. I can be forgetful at times haha
Sure! I haven't been added yet.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So, Nintendo released an updated Wii U & 3DS game release schedule for the next few months. SMT x FE I believe is listed on the October one, and it's listed on this current one as well (but it's still TBD). Schedule.

Just a little bit of info I feel like I should post in case some were worried. SMT x FE's still alive haha.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So, Nintendo released an updated Wii U & 3DS game release schedule for the next few months. SMT x FE I believe is listed on the October one, and it's listed on this current one as well (but it's still TBD). Schedule.

Just a little bit of info I feel like I should post in case some were worried. SMT x FE's still alive haha.
Yeah, I remembered when there was a fake leak that said it was cancelled because of these various 'reasons', and it shot itself in the foot when it said IGN would speak about it. Nothing ever came of it, so SMT X FE is still alive.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Well, that's really nice to hear. After not hearing about it for so long, I was getting a bit worried that the worst happened.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
While badass, that's a Mercenary outfist. Roy is a lord, so I think is supposed to have the original outfit from his original game. The awakening redesing could be a nice alternate costume, though.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
While badass, that's a Mercenary outfist. Roy is a lord, so I think is supposed to have the original outfit from his original game. The awakening redesing could be a nice alternate costume, though.
Well said. That's pretty much how I feel about that too. I've heard a lot of people express their desire to see his DLC outfit, but I would rather see something very similar to what he had in Melee. After all, Roy's main outfit should be representative of his own game, not Awakening.

That being said, I still love that mercenary outfit to death and would be more than fine seeing it as an alternate costume.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, every time someone makes a :4roy: joke, I'm just like

tablethrow.gif

I mean, maybe if the characters look somewhat similar, but the only thing they have in common is their name "Roy". But you know some people, they just to use old and lame jokes over and over again lol.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
It's also really annoying how whenever I talk about Roy now I need to put "FE Roy" or "Lord Roy" to prevent multiple people from replying saying "lol Roy is in the game XD".

I had the best idea ever just now. From a video a buddy just :4link:'d me.

Young Link is a really unique fighter here. I have faith both him and Roy could return with major changes

Roy is DLC in Fire Emblem: Awakening, and could return via FE: if's outrealm. SMT x FE coming with codes in the box or after an eshop purchase is another possibility.
Young Link is DLC in Hyrule Warriors.

Now, let's say buying DLC for either character gives an in-game popup with a Wii U DLC code and 3DS DLC code for Super Smash Bros.

Anyone who already has either will get the popup after a small software update. They could use both codes if they own both versions, or just hand one off as a gift. This would motivate more people who love YL/Roy/Mewtwo to get into Super Smash Bros. if they couldn't use the codes for themselves. This would print money for FE:A (where DLC sales are likely stagnant), Hyrule Warriors (which will be kept supported longer due to this idea), and Pokemon, which will add to the metric width and height of the pile of money Nintendo already makes from Pokemon.

Where does Mewtwo come in? Mewtwo could be Mystery Gift or DLC in any recent Pokemon game and give the same codes. The case would be much stronger for spinoff games.

@ Croph Croph , what do you think? Should we start emailing Ninty on this?

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 it's an interesting idea, since you're buying Roy DLC/whatever in one game, but given the DLC code free for Smash, if I'm understanding correctly. I'm assuming you could still purchase Roy separately for those who don't own the FE games. Or, at least I would expect Nintendo to make the DLC accessible as possible. They kinda have that free DLC promotion thing with Mewtwo (if you register both Smash games), so I'm wondering if they're going to expand on that concept with other characters. It wouldn't hurt emailing Nintendo about this idea anyway. They may not listen, but like, it's a customer support email. You can voice ideas and feedback and other concerns for what it's worth.

Regardless, I really, really stress doing the mass mailing idea (to Nintendo of America, Intelligent Systems, and maybe Namco Bandai). At least once every month. One of the things that made Operation Rainfall successful is the constant physical mailing to important people (as well as other campaigns). Also, when TV shows are on the risk of cancellation, a lot of the times fans send letters to the networks (also including items/gifts relating to the show/theme) in regards to keeping the show on air/making another season. Problem is, they had numbers. But, there are a lot of success stories out there. So it doesn't hurt to try.

I've already said the mailing idea in the facebook group (and there's like what, 300+ members? Imagine if we could get everyone to send a letter), so hopefully we could get the ball rolling soon. I'm still coming up with some more ideas about reaching out, especially on the Japanese side.

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 it's an interesting idea, since you're buying Roy DLC/whatever in one game, but given the DLC code free for Smash, if I'm understanding correctly. I'm assuming you could still purchase Roy separately for those who don't own the FE games. Or, at least I would expect Nintendo to make the DLC accessible as possible. They kinda have that free DLC promotion thing with Mewtwo (if you register both Smash games), so I'm wondering if they're going to expand on that concept with other characters. It wouldn't hurt emailing Nintendo about this idea anyway. They may not listen, but like, it's a customer support email. You can voice ideas and feedback and other concerns for what it's worth.

Regardless, I really, really stress doing the mass mailing idea (to Nintendo of America, Intelligent Systems, and maybe Namco Bandai). At least once every month. One of the things that made Operation Rainfall successful is the constant physical mailing to important people (as well as other campaigns). Also, when TV shows are on the risk of cancellation, a lot of the times fans send letters to the networks (also including items/gifts relating to the show/theme) in regards to keeping the show on air/making another season. Problem is, they had numbers. But, there are a lot of success stories out there. So it doesn't hurt to try.

I've already said the mailing idea in the facebook group (and there's like what, 300+ members? Imagine if we could get everyone to send a letter), so hopefully we could get the ball rolling soon. I'm still coming up with some more ideas about reaching out, especially on the Japanese side.
Let's get aMSa to fully support Roy in Smash 4 for his fellow #LowTierHeroes. We gotta stick together.

Or M2K since I hear he's going to Japan soon. He's bodied many people with Roy, I'm sure he'd like to continue that trend since he seems to enjoy Smash 4 most, and I feel he'd be open to more character DLC, especially Roy with his love of Mewtwo and Melee.

Masashi loved playing as Roy before he moved onto Brawl, but he's MIA via Smash 4. There's also Captain Jack, who's still at it, and we could see how he feels on Roy. Any Japanese smash players could really help.

If anyone knows someone who could speak to a Japanese audience, I'd like to send them a message and see how it goes. I heard English is common in Japan, so I could still work with my one language ignorance.

I've been off Facebook since it's been depressing and a waste of time for me, but I wouldn't mind hopping into the group for a post once we refine this idea as much as we can.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Let's get aMSa to fully support Roy in Smash 4 for his fellow #LowTierHeroes. We gotta stick together.

Or M2K since I hear he's going to Japan soon. He's bodied many people with Roy, I'm sure he'd like to continue that trend since he seems to enjoy Smash 4 most, and I feel he'd be open to more character DLC, especially Roy with his love of Mewtwo and Melee.

Masashi loved playing as Roy before he moved onto Brawl, but he's MIA via Smash 4. There's also Captain Jack, who's still at it, and we could see how he feels on Roy. Any Japanese smash players could really help.

If anyone knows someone who could speak to a Japanese audience, I'd like to send them a message and see how it goes. I heard English is common in Japan, so I could still work with my one language ignorance.

I've been off Facebook since it's been depressing and a waste of time for me, but I wouldn't mind hopping into the group for a post once we refine this idea as much as we can.
Ah, I didn't know you're taking a break from facebook. I wish you the best of luck anyway.

About reaching out to Japan... I would suggest avoid posting on Japanese image/text boards (2ch, Futaba, etc.). It's very complicated to post if you're outside of Japan (but it's fine if you just browse them). Some you may need a Japanese proxy. But even if your IP isn't banned (depends where you are), if you're identity isn't protected, you could get targeted for theft and whatnot (thanks to people who lurk and do things like that on 2ch for example). Nico Nico is probably the next best thing. Well, Nico Nico is like a Japanese YouTube and it's on of the most visited websites in Japan, so if we want to make a PSA video about Roy for DLC, and perhaps throw in the mass mailing idea, it's a good place to do it. I already have an account there (you need an account to view videos, unfortunately), and I wouldn't worry that much about talking in English. We could always make things in English on top of Japanese (but just use an online translator). Hopefully people will get the gist of what we're trying to do.

I'm not sure what to put in the video, since I literally just came up with this idea, but if we could get some pro player opinions on Roy, like you suggested, it would be very nice. You've said you want to send a message to a Japanese audience. If we do ever make the video, I can throw the message in if you like (just PM me the message or whatever. Dunno how long it is). What we need to do is start looking at campaigns people did for video games, television shows, etc., and ask ourselves, "What made them so successful?" Perhaps we could then get some inspiration from them and follow suit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom