• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Could I join the Shantae support club? I'm a reaaaallllyy big Shantae fan, I backed the kickstarter project and make a bunch of fanart in my spare time. I really hope she at least gets a DLC trophy or something similar ;;

D

Deleted member

The two first Shantae games had a fair amount of "fan-service", but this one seems to reach it on the next level.

Not that it displeases me, but I fear that in this way, this game and Shantae's character may be attacked by (pseudo-)feminists describing them as an incitation to sexism, much like with ZSS's reveal during the April Direct if you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Honestly, it doesn't matter what game it is, there will be fan-service in one way or another. Just some games take it to the extremes. But ZSS and Shantae are not the worse case of fan-service. At least Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is E+10.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Could I join the Shantae support club? I'm a reaaaallllyy big Shantae fan, I backed the kickstarter project and make a bunch of fanart in my spare time. I really hope she at least gets a DLC trophy or something similar ;;
Actually, it's for the best that Shantae shall be DLC playable character but not as DLC trophy, cuz that's lame and especially sucks! Besides, not to mentioned that SMASH BROS franchise seriously needed more females Protagonist and Anti-Protagonist! Anyways, my fellow Shantae's supporters! Check out this page that I've made for Shantae's sakes for us fans to make cause for her to be confirmed in SMASH BROS DLC 3DS/Wii U: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shan...s-in-Smash-4-3DSWii-U-version/769600476420657

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I can't help it, she's hot and she bellydances. I'll support this forever! (Especially if she gets that as a taunt...)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'd like to join the support group.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
My signature says it all. Fell in love with this girl immediately when I first saw her. I love her games, and I love WayForward's games as well.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I was talking to a friend about this yesterday and we broached the subject of Shantae and her innate design.

Does anybody think, hypothetically speaking, it would be pushing the boat too far out with a character like Shantae? She's pretty much intentionally designed to be physically appealing and her outfits (alt costumes in particular) leave very little to the imagination. Or do characters like Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer open the door for a more open-minded, physically expressive approach to character designs?

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
So I was talking to a friend about this yesterday and we broached the subject of Shantae and her innate design.

Does anybody think, hypothetically speaking, it would be pushing the boat too far out with a character like Shantae? She's pretty much intentionally designed to be physically appealing and her outfits (alt costumes in particular) leave very little to the imagination. Or do characters like Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer open the door for a more open-minded, physically expressive approach to character designs?
If ZSS and her skimpy costumes got in, then I don't see why Shantae couldn't. What exactly is "skimpier" with Shantae anyway?

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

I believe Shantae's design would be acceptable even with how Zero Suit Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, and Palutena are presented.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh, don't mind me, I'm just trying to start a discussion is all.

There's not much to talk about right now and discussing our favourite characters for whatever reasons is always fun~

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If ZSS and her skimpy costumes got in, then I don't see why Shantae couldn't. What exactly is "skimpier" with Shantae anyway?
Soul Calibur IV Ivy, I mean NOBODY can get any skimpier than that (Except Bayonetta whenever she uses her Wicked Weave techniques). Considering the fact that we have trophies of Candy Kong (A Pamela Anderson-esque ape) and Barbara the Bat (Umjammer Lammy when she joins the Dark Side), I'm pretty sure that Shantae wouldn't be too much by Smash standards. I personally believe that the Tharja trophy was rejected for aplenty of other reasons than because she was "Not E+10 friendly" like time constraints or that it wasn't really complete to begin with.

Now that the subject is out of the way, I would like to let you guys know that I had recently downloaded the game. As someone that loved the original game on the Game Boy and the DSI title, this game is quite the improvement and I would be honored to support her for Smash. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Middle Eastern culture.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not really a supporter, although I have the second (I think) game on my 3ds.

However I just wanted to say that as far as 3rd party additions go I wouldn't be unhappy to see Shantae join the roster. Smash doesn't have anything "Arabian" in it right now, so Shantae could definitely add something different to the game.

I'd guess if there was a stage it would be Scuttle Town?

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I'm not really a supporter, although I have the second (I think) game on my 3ds.

However I just wanted to say that as far as 3rd party additions go I wouldn't be unhappy to see Shantae join the roster. Smash doesn't have anything "Arabian" in it right now, so Shantae could definitely add something different to the game.

I'd guess if there was a stage it would be Scuttle Town?
They could do Scuttle Town, Zombie Caravan, Water Town. Hell even Risky's Ship would be cool.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Bumping back up.

I will be updating this thread's supporter list. This is the first time in a while where i can. (I have a lot of stuff in real life that get in the way)

Added:
@ Wintropy Wintropy
@ Makai Wars Makai Wars
@ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan

Thanks for the patience guys.

WayForward wants Shantae in Smash
Really awesome to hear they want Shantae in smash. Now we the fans need to get Nintendo's attention and show them we really want her in too. I think the best way right now is to fill out the club nintendo survey when you register smash 4 and request her.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'll be updating the OP later today. So expect some new things there. (Including a new moveset based on the ideas that Matt suggested in that interview)

Edit: ok Nevermind. The update will take a bit longer. There was some issues with my new Shantae Moveset that I need to sort out. So it might not be up for a while.

Last edited:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
There are lots of hot guys in Smash; it could stand some more female fanservice. And Shantae is HOT.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
http://www.nintendo.com/fanfaves/?eid=email_499372330_500579964_1dd63e8b#/home Shantae and the Pirate's Curse made it in Fanfaves Top 10 on Nintendo.com for 92/100 & for Super Smash Bros for 3DS version made 93/100, but for Smash Bros for Wii U version made 95/100! P.S: Sincerely, hope that Shantae & Risky Boots shall be confirmed as a New playable DLC character for Smash, after Mewtwo in Spring on March 31, 2015!

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So my moveset is taking longer due to stuff in real life. But i can give you some ideas i had.

NOTE: II don't have a lot of time to add the descriptions. (As they're not done yet) But i will add a couple.

AAA: Hair Whip combo

Dash: Sword Dash (Pirate's Curse)

Shantae takes out her "pirate sword" keeps it pointed forward as she does her dash attack.
Damage: 5%

B: Pike Balls

When the two pike balls are activated, they will orbit around our favorite half genie for a short time. Nothing can cancel them out. However, they are fairly weak and have some damage that causes slight knock back at higher percentages. (Knock back effect: 35% and higher)
Damage: 3% per hit.

Forward B: Elephant (GBC Shantae)

Shanate does a quick dance and transforms into an elephant. She will then blast forward at high speeds before turning back to normal. Unfortunately though, like the other transformation Move(s?), the short dance animation can be punished easily.
Damage: 10%

Up B: Cannon (Pirate's Curse)

(ALT UP B: Harpy)

Down B: Monkey (GBC Shantae)

Extra: Shantae can glide with a pirate hat after using the Cannon jump. (or Harpy. Depending on which idea you prefer)

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Now. I don't want to come off grouchy, but looking at the thread's title, I wish to inquire a source behind WayForward wanting Shantae in Smash.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Would you guys consider Shantae indie at this point? I thought that maybe Nintendo could try to add an Indie character or two to show their love for the indie market. I would say top contenders would be Commander Video, Shovel Knight, and Shantae.

Top Bottom