• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Metal Jaguar BLADE Captain: Elma [Smash DLC] *No XCX spoilers, please!* 37 Days Until XCX!

Should Elma appear in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS?

• Total voters

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I wish they would give us the entire soundtrack rather than only 10 songs. How am I supposed to pick only 10 when there are so many amazing songs! D:

Oh well. We still have YouTube. >:D

Anyway, the Limited Edition is apparently already sold out. It hasn't even been half a day and it has already SOLD OUT! That should show NoA that there is a high demand for XCX.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I just realized that they used Elma's Skell for the box cover of the Limited Edition. :D

i bought it one week ago and got a huge crush on it :D
Be careful, you'll fall in love with it even harder as you progress through the game. Where are you in the game?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I wish they would give us the entire soundtrack rather than only 10 songs. How am I supposed to pick only 10 when there are so many amazing songs! D:

Oh well. We still have YouTube. >:D

Anyway, the Limited Edition is apparently already sold out. It hasn't even been half a day and it has already SOLD OUT! That should show NoA that there is a high demand for XCX.
DAMN IT! I couldn't get to a gamestop since I didn't have a car this weekend. I wanted that art book and USB so badly though. Maybe they'll bump up stock numbers soon?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Right before Colony 6
Cool. Can't wait to hear your reactions as you progress through the game. :)

DAMN IT! I couldn't get to a gamestop since I didn't have a car this weekend. I wanted that art book and USB so badly though. Maybe they'll bump up stock numbers soon?
But it's only Amazon for now... and hopefully they should restock the Limited Editions. But even if they don't, there will be other places to get one. As of now, we just don't know who else will sell the LEs.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Cool. Can't wait to hear your reactions as you progress through the game. :)

But it's only Amazon for now... and hopefully they should restock the Limited Editions. But even if they don't, there will be other places to get one. As of now, we just don't know who else will sell the LEs.
Ah Amazon... the place that Operation Rainfall preorder spammed so we could even get Xenblade over here.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Nintendo's YouTube channel just uploaded a "Survival Guide", basically explaining the game's mechanics. This episode talks about New Los Angeles, the 8 divisions within BLADE, story missions, etc. There will be 4 more episodes leading up to the game's release. Funny story, of course my mom came into the room and heard the cheesy ending. She thought I was involved in some sort of conspiracy group that wants to escape Earth before its destruction. :joyful:

94 more days until XCX!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Xenoblade X is going to devour my life once school has stopped doing so. And I'm excited.

But back to the actual topic of Elma on Smash.

Has anyone come up with a defense for Elma's relevence?People are inevitably going to use the "She's only been in 1 game" argument, so we need a counter. The best I can come up with is that Xenoblade X is a massive RPG, so it carries more weight.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Xenoblade X is going to devour my life once school has stopped doing so. And I'm excited.

Has anyone come up with a defense for Elma's relevence?People are inevitably going to use the "She's only been in 1 game" argument, so we need a counter. The best I can come up with is that Xenoblade X is a massive RPG, so it carries more weight.
Shulk's only been in 1 game too, and so has Robin and Roy and Lucina and Ness and Lucas

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

There is the possibility that she'll be in a sequel(s), depending on how the game ends.

No one answer that question, please! I'm just speculating. And if you must, PLEASE PUT IT IN THE SPOILER TAG!

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman

I've come up with some spoiler-free reasons why Xenoblade could get future reps in general. Feel free to correct me if my arguments are flawed.

Adding a character from Xenoblade Chronicles or Xenoblade Chronicles X is adding a character from a series that Nintendo compares to Zelda and Metroid in terms of quality and ambition! Both Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X are some of the biggest JRPG's to come out in recent years, and the quality doesn't seem to suffer much from the massive scale. The games may not take place in the same universe, but they share enough similarities to be considered part of a series, so that's why I think it's ok to have a character who only appeared in one of the Xenoblade game.

I think one of the main reasons Shulk was in Smash was because of the efforts of Operation Rainfall. The fans fought hard for Xenoblade and proved the demand for a sort-of new IP. And with the demand and success of Xenoblade Chronicles, Nintendo decided to start building-up the series with future titles and more mainstream attention. Which eventually lead to Shulk's Smash debut. So if the popularity of Xenoblade Chronicles stays strong after X, I think a new character from the series could definitely happen.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
(EDIT: WARNING - Senatiator posted some huge spoilers below this post. Please disregard his post below to avoid getting spoiled. He continues to ignore my request to remove it or add spoiler tags for some reason.)

Let's discuss what song would be a good fit for a hypothetical reveal trailer? In my opinion, "Uncontrollable" would be the perfect background music.

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
There is the possibility that she'll be in a sequel(s), depending on how the game ends.

No one answer that question, please! I'm just speculating. And if you must, PLEASE PUT IT IN THE SPOILER TAG!
There's too many unanswered questions and loose ends with how Xenoblade X ended.

Xenogears and Xenosaga were both intended to be a six-episode series, and XS shared themes, plot elements, and some names with XG and the lore of Perfect Works. I think Monolith Soft was pretty transparent at the time about XS being a "spiritual retelling" of XG.

Xenoblade Chronicles was a game originally called "Monado" that had nothing to do with the other games.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has almost nothing to do with the first XC and contains conspicuous similarities to XG/XS, including name references and subtle nods to those games. Tetsuya Takahashi said in an interview that since the time Monolith Soft was founded, "with this game I have finally met the challenge I had within me, of creating an RPG in which humans and robots can co-exist."

To me it's apparent that XCX is Takahashi-san's third attempt at the concept, but starting over from scratch with a new timeline and new lore. It's not strictly "connected" to the previous games, but for all intents and purposes, it is the second reincarnation of Xenogears.

You should treat Xenoblade X as no different than Xenosaga Episode I. The only thing I know for sure is Elma and Lao are locks for the sequel which should happen as Tetsuya Takahashi is working on a new game and said it'll have "more story".

Please put spoilers in spoilers tags, no matter what it may be. -Staff

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Guys, please put spoilery stuff in Spoiler tags. Between these: [spoiler][/spoiler]

Do understand that not everyone has played the game and want to stay away from spoilers as much as possible.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Edited the thread title because someone is selfishly troll-posting spoilers in the thread and even undid a mod's edit for everyone to see. I've already put him on ignore.

Anyway, I'm curious to know why you all support Elma. For me, obviously I'm a huge fan of XC, so I'm looking forward to XCX. It's refreshing to have a strong female protagonist which Nintendo is sorely lacking in most of its IPs. She is seemingly admirable as she is well-respected by her peers. She looks like someone who is dependable and trustworthy. I also like her personality - she's not arrogant. She appears to be a cold person on the inside, but actually has a kind and warm heart. Elma being a cat lover is a huge plus as I love cats! :D

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Edited the thread title because someone is selfishly troll-posting spoilers in the thread and even undid a mod's edit for everyone to see. I've already put him on ignore.

Anyway, I'm curious to know why you all support Elma. For me, obviously I'm a huge fan of XC, so I'm looking forward to XCX. It's refreshing to have a strong female protagonist which Nintendo is sorely lacking in most of its IPs. She is seemingly admirable as she is well-respected by her peers. She looks like someone who is dependable and trustworthy. I also like her personality - she's not arrogant. She appears to be a cold person on the inside, but actually has a kind and warm heart. Elma being a cat lover is a huge plus as I love cats! :D
Of the entire crew, she's one of the most interesting members other than the Token Nopon Tatsu. And unlike the self-insert main character Cross, she actually looks like that she has a character and can be a fun individual that you explore with. That and we do need more strong female characters who aren't princesses (Peach, Zelda, etc) or badass normals (Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, etc). A cold hearted, but professional fighter who knows what she is doing and has plenty of experience with fighting the toughest of all Mirian creatures.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was in a pawn shop today and the first trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X was being played on a laptop and a tv screen.

I was kind of taken aback because I'm not used to seeing JRPGS being presented in public outside of the game case hiding on a shelf somewhere.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Of the entire crew, she's one of the most interesting members other than the Token Nopon Tatsu. And unlike the self-insert main character Cross, she actually looks like that she has a character and can be a fun individual that you explore with. That and we do need more strong female characters who aren't princesses (Peach, Zelda, etc) or badass normals (Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, etc). A cold hearted, but professional fighter who knows what she is doing and has plenty of experience with fighting the toughest of all Mirian creatures.
I don't see Cross as a "main character" as Elma looks like she does the plot-relevant things while Cross is... not. I think Cross is more of a stand-in for the player as Cross doesn't have a background or history or anything that I know of. Main character would be the focus of the story where I'm pretty sure it's Elma based on the amount of screen time she gets. Cross is more of a typical "avatar" than an actual character as the ending credits and epilogue scenes testify this. I stand by with "player character" being a better description of Cross than "main character". This is my opinion anyways.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Does anybody know what is going to happen to all of the support threads after we get our final DLC character? I'll be pretty sad if this thread closes before the game hits. </3

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Hopefully our best bet is they lock the threads lather then delete them, so we can unlock the threads later for Smash 5 speculation.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Oh god... I was looking through one of my flash drives, and I found an old highschool multimedia assignment of mine...
upload_2015-9-5_0-9-40.png

The assignment was to make a pretend product line using photoshop, and I was obsessed with Xenoblade at this time, so this ended up happening.

So on the topic of Elma, if she hypothetically joined Smash at some point, do you think she would be Smash 4 DLC, or a Smash 5 newcomer? The game has been out in Japan for a while, so a bunch of people are already familiar with Elma. But the fact that her game comes out after the ballot ends makes me think that she has better chances at being a Smash Though you could argue that Roy was in Smash before his game was even announced, so Elma could make it to Smash similarly to Roy in Melee.

Though I don't think Smash 4 Elma DLC is likely, I would love to see more Xenoblade characters join Smash in the future. If Xenoblade Chronicles X sells well and is received well, I think Elma would have a good chance to be a Smash 5 newcomer.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Oh god... I was looking through one of my flash drives, and I found an old highschool multimedia assignment of mine...
View attachment 71755
The assignment was to make a pretend product line using photoshop, and I was obsessed with Xenoblade at this time, so this ended up happening.

So on the topic of Elma, if she hypothetically joined Smash at some point, do you think she would be Smash 4 DLC, or a Smash 5 newcomer? The game has been out in Japan for a while, so a bunch of people are already familiar with Elma. But the fact that her game comes out after the ballot ends makes me think that she has better chances at being a Smash Though you could argue that Roy was in Smash before his game was even announced, so Elma could make it to Smash similarly to Roy in Melee.

Though I don't think Smash 4 Elma DLC is likely, I would love to see more Xenoblade characters join Smash in the future. If Xenoblade Chronicles X sells well and is received well, I think Elma would have a good chance to be a Smash 5 newcomer.
Yeah, I see her more as a Smash 5 newcomer. Especially since I couldn't even imagine a Skell summoning final Smash working all to well on 3DS.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
View attachment 71755

Haha. Was that assignment for a Photoshop class? I took that several years ago in high school. Those were the good days. :')

I also think Elma has a better chance as a Smash 5 newcomer. I'm hoping she'll gain a strong following like Shulk had during the pre-SSB4 days.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
After seeing the latest discussion in the Azura thread, I'd like to talk about one of the controversies surrounding XCX. The OST is a big controversy among fans due to the music style being completely different from the first game's OST. A lot of people seem to dislike the techno music and vocal songs, especially the rapping in the battle music. Honestly, they don't bother me that much. I suppose it fits XCX's sci-fi theme much more than an orchestrated (piano and violin) soundtrack.

Do you guys enjoy the game's OST? What do you think of the controversy? Do you think people are overreacting? Or do you agree with them?

If you'd rather talk about something else... There are many more controversies such as the characters' faces (dumb one) and a short (apparently) non-linear main plot. We also have the Lin-in-a-bikini controversy and the localization team having too much freedom with translating the script. The list goes on and on.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
After seeing the latest discussion in the Azura thread, I'd like to talk about one of the controversies surrounding XCX. The OST is a big controversy among fans due to the music style being completely different from the first game's OST. A lot of people seem to dislike the techno music and vocal songs, especially the rapping in the battle music. Honestly, they don't bother me that much. I suppose it fits XCX's sci-fi theme much more than an orchestrated (piano and violin) soundtrack.

Do you guys enjoy the game's OST? What do you think of the controversy? Do you think people are overreacting? Or do you agree with them?

If you'd rather talk about something else... There are many more controversies such as the characters' faces (dumb one) and a short (apparently) non-linear main plot. We also have the Lin-in-a-bikini controversy and the localization team having too much freedom with translating the script. The list goes on and on.
Too me, the soundtrack is the leafs of my problems since this game is meant to be a successor of Xenoblade and NOT be exactly like it. I actually seem to enjoy most of the soundtrack so far (while avoiding the more spoilerific ones) since techno and rap are among my favorite genres of music. So what if there's no more rock and piano like the Xenoblade Chronicles universe since it's not meant to be following the same themes to begin with. I can already name plenty of worse examples of cheesy rapping like the German Naruto intro or even the 4KIds Pirate Rap (And how the hell can I not forget the Sonic Adventure Knuckles themes?).

Overall, I think it's just a group of nostalgia blind fans who whine about things being too different from the first game. Kind of like how everyone's making a big deal over the J-Pop theme of Genei Ibun Roku #FE's story and soundtrack, being not as dark or serious as the core Shin Megami Tensei titles.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I like the soundtrack. I like anime openings a lot so the Vocal tracks are fine by me, and the techno sounds really cool.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

All controversies topics are horrible topics. It can be summed up as people not keeping their expectations in check which is "Xenoblade 2" I think. The developers called it a "spiritual successor" for reasons. It's better off if they get familiar with Xenogears and Xenosaga instead.
The cover should have been covered with the characters faces if it bothered them so much but mostly with Lynlee's face as she seems to get bashed the most. The "face controversy" seems to be one of the biggest as Kotaku wrote an article on it.
http://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-xs-stupid-looking-characters-are-a-1684883394
Everything about Xenoblade X is fine. There isn't anything that bothered me much from it.

Attachments

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
Definitly not oposed to seeing Elma in smash heck I would love to have another Xenoblade character I kinda want Mecha Fiora more because I don't really know much about Elma but I would be happy if we get any of the two or any xenoblade character too be honest Xenoblade Is a masterpiece to me so of course I would like the game, now franchise to be more represented.

I'm assuming most people here are waiting Xenoblade chronicles X am I right?
so sick of waiting for this game...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Definitly not oposed to seeing another Elma heck I would love to have another Xenoblade character I kinda want Mecha Fiora more because I don't really know much about Elma but I would be happy if we get any of the two or any xenoblade character too be honest Xenoblade Is a masterpiece to me so of course I would like the game, now franchise to be more represented.

I'm assuming most people here are waiting Xenoblade chronicles X am I right?
so sick of waiting for this game...
I thought everyone is sick of waiting for this game? :laugh:

At this point, I'll only see this along with Splatoon being the only Wii U purchases I'll make this semester.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Feel free to disagree with anything I'm about to type, this is just my biased opinion. I realize that not everyone shares my opinions and I don't want to force them on anyone.

Like I said in my first introduction to this thread, from what I heard, I love the music in X. I listen to the soundtrack teaser occasionally, and while some of the songs took some time to get used to, it sounds freaking amazing! I guess it's a bit of an acquired taste for some, but it's fine if someone just doesn't like the soundtrack, that's just their opinion.

As for the faces, I find them pretty refreshing in an age of "super-detailed" and "super-realistic" AAA game faces. They're not trying to be either of those, and I personally think they look pretty aesthetically pleasing.

One comparison I can make is Xenoblade Chonicles: X and Metal Gear Solid 5. I'm a huge fan of both series, and both XC: X and MGS5 look visually incredible, but I was honestly disappointed in MGS5's faces. Instead of modeling character faces by scratch like in all the previous Metal Gear games, they 3D scanned people's faces to get realistic looking faces with minimal effort. And I felt like that made the faces loose some of their appeal. They looked less stylized and interesting than the older games to me. And while they look graphically impressive today, they will eventually look more dated than the faces of previous games in the series due to the aim for realism over design.

upload_2015-9-8_18-32-57.jpeg
Xenoblade Chronicles X
upload_2015-9-8_18-33-47.jpeg
Metal Gear Solid 5
upload_2015-9-8_18-36-1.jpeg
Metal Gear Solid 2

Out of these three games, I think XB: X and MGS2 will continue to look impressive, but MGS5 will look dated by next gen technology. I'm thinking that the reason why a 14 year old PS2 game and a game running on weaker hardware will look less dated than a realistic looking game is because the art styles work around the limitation of the hardware making the look timeless, almost hiding the limitations and making their graphical shortcomings look intentional. While a game going for realism will most likely be topped by the next, more realistic-looking game.

I don't have anything against realistic looking games, but I think they are more of a novelty of their time. They can still look impressive years later, but they will inevitably be topped by another realistic game, which makes them loose some of what made them special at the time. They just don't seem to have the same appeal as a well stylized game.

Whoops, this post went on for longer than I expected :p

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Good news! Paid off my entire preorder of Xenoblade X! Bad news! I couldn't get the special edition. Gamestop guy said they were all sold out and I tried to get to Gamestop afterschool as soon as I could. Hopefully Nintendo opens up more special edition slots to people as a lot more people preorder the game.

But now I have $15 burning a hole in my wallet...

Last edited:
Top Bottom