• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

Xenorange

Smash Lord
image.jpg

Saw Sceptile at the zoo today. This little guy reminded me of our Lizard king.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sup @ Crome Crome
Thanks for Support~

Chill here & discuss whatever you like about Sceptile. You can check our 30 pages of move-sets, speculation, & just yeah.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Does anyone else like green as much that I do to the level of changing SmashBoard's Style Chooser to "Smashboards Emerald" ? Or just me in my Forest grassy green site, green everywhere?:surprised:

D

Deleted member

I just had an argument on Miiverse about Pokemon being overrepresented right now (how?) so I've decided to post a bit of the "highlights" of my argument that really mattered instead of the whole thing countering his horrible argument (Involving PacMan for crying out loud). Enjoy this in montage format that looks like its from a Morgan Freeman montage (in green for our forest master):

Pokémon had 6 playable fighters in Brawl (Trainer counts as 3), and Mewtwo's data was on disc (the most completed of all unfinished fighters at that) and only not included because of Sonic's huge popularity surge being broken by Snake, and as a result Sonic's late inclusion (none of these problems have plagued this installment). Basically, why should a series with what should've been 7 characters in the last installment have less than that? Sceptile makes sense because he replaces Ivysaur with more relevancy and popularity while still representing the starter type trio that was Sakurai's basis for the Pokémon Trainer in the first place, and represents the concept better with its fully evolved status.

When it comes to representing a franchise, everything not a playable character (i.e trophies, stages, bosses) is given out proportionately in relation to the number of playable characters in said franchise. In Pokémon's case, Pokémon had 3 stages in Brawl, 31 summons from a unique item, the Pokéball (compared to its brother item, the Assist Trophy, it has 4 more as the Assist Trophy has 27 summons), and lots of trophies (but a lot of franchises can say this since there are so many trophies). It would make sense for a franchise so historic, boundless, popular, and ever-expanding more characters than its Brawl counterpart.

The Pokemon main series has sold the most games scaled for the amount of time since its first release, (1996 Japan in Pokémon's case) even more than Mario, and more than any other video game franchise. They also have so many characters that are loved by Smash and Pokemon fans, and 2 of the 3 suggested (Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, and Sceptile) have movesets that can be ported over and tweaked. Fire Emblem has 3 unique characters and a clone because of its large and ever expanding character lineup, so why shouldn't Pokémon get this treatment, but on a larger scale because of its exceedingly greater amount of popularity and number of characters?

Does anyone else like green as much that I do to the level of changing SmashBoard's Style Chooser to "Smashboards Emerald" ? Or just me in my Forest grassy green site, green everywhere?:surprised:
I have decided to see the light since one of my most wanted is my avatar, wynaut reference my other favorite in my preferences with the style and personal font color?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Green is my favorite color! It's also part of the reason why Yoshi is my favorite fictional character. Oddly though, I tend not to favor the usually green Grass type Pokemon much other than Sceptile and Serperior for some reason.

EDIT: Just changed to Smashboards Emerald. Thanks for the heads up Masonomace!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Np @ Jaguar360 Jaguar360 Also thanks to @Pikablu Pikachu for noting me of that Hue website full of Green colors.

Was very hard to make a decision.:urg:
As far as knowing who my favorite starter is, I base off two things, mind you this is to my personal likings:

1. Is it a reptile? & if it's not, is it an amphibian? Cus those are cool too.
2. Is it Green? Because if I decide whether it's green or not, I become heavily bias for the color to cloud my other interests.

Meganium lost to Feraligatr because Alligator / Crocodile.
Sceptile won because only reptile.
Torterra because turtle.
Serperior because Snake.
Greninja because frog.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
New speculation:
MegaLucario seems to have an unchanged move-set besides his aura maxed out during his FS, making him stronger & faster movement.
MegaCharizardX has no info on it at all so this is where the speculation starts, with :4greninja: adding in the missing pieces.

Atm :4greninja: has 2 Dark-esqe moves confirmed, one technically being Shadow Sneak but not in the evil-esque darkness type of move like :4robinm:'s Nosferatu. Rather it's a feint kind of attack more on the side of emphasizing his go-to Ninja style of fighting in the same sense :4lucario: doesn't use Steel-based moves but manifests its own aura into a weapon, Aura being his most iconic mechanic.
Taking this speculation of :4greninja: literally fitting his appearance of a Water Ninja Frog improvising with moves that are in fact dark-type moves from the game, Sakurai & the development team are taking note of them from the games & implementing them similarly to Super Smash Bros.. And his FS called out as Night Slash by fans with a dark-theme with the full shining moon in the dark-sky BG, it's no surprise this is another Dark-type move promoting :4greninja:'s Dual 2nd type.

This said :4charizard:'s Flare Blitz mechanically is similar to how the move is done in the games, adding in a recoil drawback when the move hits on contact. Nothing more can support Charizard for speculation but if it's anything like :4greninja: & his FS notion, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest for MegaCharizardX to get an altered move-set highlighting on some Dragon-esque attacks, because MegaCharizardX is a fire-breathing dragon. The most interesting point I find about the new :4charizard: is the lack of information we have about anything pointing toward his Dual-type Flying in any form of attack using his wings or physically using wind as an element promoting that. This wiki of confirmed information shows none of his past Brawl attacks involving his wings in his Sm4sh move-set. U-tilt, U-smash, & technically his UpB Fly were all wing/flying moves, which gets me thinking ahead of myself that :4charizard: may have gotten changes to his move-set to promote the idea of Fire/Dragon dual type MegaCharizardX.

What does this have to do with Sceptile, or perhaps, any grass starter you ask? Simple, they're taking the pokemon types even more seriously, making :4greninja: the most suitable example, Improvised him the way Sakurai did, it worked out rather well. It's important when I say FIRE Breathing Dragon & WATER Ninja Frog, because now with the heavy pushing they did so far with both of them, including the Grass-esque moves already making an appearance, how can we deny that we'll get a GRASS Slashing Gecko, let alone any GRASS type pokemon? With how it may go for MegaCharizardX in my speculation, the same can go for MegaSceptile being the FS if it went that far.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Adding in Sm4sh inclusions through attacks that are already in the game, that help the idea of Sceptile being in Sm4sh via DLC or in the finalized roster:

:4link: & :4samus: confirmed for tethers, from "Multiple Fighters" we can gather that many more will tether, like the obvious guesses such as:4tlink:. Potential tethers could be :4greninja: & :4yoshi: because fans have wanted Yoshi's tongue to be a tether option, seeing as how he can stretch it so far, why not? And for that matter, Greninja's tongue is practically a scarf with that much length, maybe he can stretch out his tongue to tether too. Others in the past like :popo::ivysaur::lucas::olimar::sheik: & :zerosuitsamus: had tethers as a Z-air or their primary UpB recovery. It's not out of the question to ponder about :4olimar::4sheik: & :4zss: for their returning aspect of tether through a Z-air. Why this is brought up for Sceptile's sake is from the unique characteristic of Grass-type such as :ivysaur: having a primary tether recovery as her UpB with vines. Surely Sceptile could adapt the same thing somehow as a Z-air.

Image speaks for itself. Damage while healing is a unique aspect to being the first, & surely with every other mechanic built-in to other elements such as Pokeball summons & Assist Trophies, along with other additional element-based attacks such as more Water coming into Sm4sh, it can be no surprise that a Healing/Dealing move can fit perfectly on a Grass-type pokemon such as Project M's Ivysaur having 3 moves that essentially do the same thing Nosferatu does. Plus Sakurai notices Project M.

Mega Man's Down+B Leaf Shield, while not a big reason, still is a grass-type attack that is sent thrown at foes with the cutting SFX you hear when directly hitting. Moves in Brawl like :ivysaur: F-tilt & Side+B Razor Leaf makes this inclusion as another attack looking decent for Sceptile's grass move-set probable. Sceptile's Leaf Blades are no exception when coming to this.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ C Chaosjules7 ?? Where's that move-set?:shades:

It's also funny that I find Sceptile to be the strongest grass-type Ash has ever owned in the anime. Sceptile in the anime was one of the only 3 pokemon Ash has ever used to beat a Legendary pokemon, Pikachu & Charizard being the other 2.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Mega Sceptile is gonna be beast in VGC with Rotom-wash! Sceptile can run protect for faster SE hits [talonflame] while rotom can threaten it with discharge/hydro pump, and raise sceptile's already good special attack with discharge on later turns while damaging opponents. Hopefully that kind of competitive viability can keep him and Greninja popular enough for future Smash titles.
Let's hope we see a Venusaur like revival with Sceptile, I know Venusaur was in OU after he got his hidden ability in Black and White. But Mega Venusaur is a straight up beast with Thick Fat.

Big Pokemon game announcement coming tomorrow, maybe that ends up leading to a Sceptile reveal? Probably wishful thinking at this point, we should probably just start hoping for DLC.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just had an argument on Miiverse about Pokemon being overrepresented right now (how?) so I've decided to post a bit of the "highlights" of my argument that really mattered instead of the whole thing countering his horrible argument (Involving PacMan for crying out loud). Enjoy this in montage format that looks like its from a Morgan Freeman montage (in green for our forest master):

Pokémon had 6 playable fighters in Brawl (Trainer counts as 3), and Mewtwo's data was on disc (the most completed of all unfinished fighters at that) and only not included because of Sonic's huge popularity surge being broken by Snake, and as a result Sonic's late inclusion (none of these problems have plagued this installment). Basically, why should a series with what should've been 7 characters in the last installment have less than that? Sceptile makes sense because he replaces Ivysaur with more relevancy and popularity while still representing the starter type trio that was Sakurai's basis for the Pokémon Trainer in the first place, and represents the concept better with its fully evolved status.

When it comes to representing a franchise, everything not a playable character (i.e trophies, stages, bosses) is given out proportionately in relation to the number of playable characters in said franchise. In Pokémon's case, Pokémon had 3 stages in Brawl, 31 summons from a unique item, the Pokéball (compared to its brother item, the Assist Trophy, it has 4 more as the Assist Trophy has 27 summons), and lots of trophies (but a lot of franchises can say this since there are so many trophies). It would make sense for a franchise so historic, boundless, popular, and ever-expanding more characters than its Brawl counterpart.
The Pokemon main series has sold the most games scaled for the amount of time since its first release, (1996 Japan in Pokémon's case) even more than Mario, and more than any other video game franchise. They also have so many characters that are loved by Smash and Pokemon fans, and 2 of the 3 suggested (Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, and Sceptile) have movesets that can be ported over and tweaked. Fire Emblem has 3 unique characters and a clone because of its large and ever expanding character lineup, so why shouldn't Pokémon get this treatment, but on a larger scale because of its exceedingly greater amount of popularity and number of characters?

I have decided to see the light since one of my most wanted is my avatar, wynaut reference my other favorite in my preferences with the style and personal font color?
OOOOO A POKEMON Argument? Feel free to link me anytime.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
So yeah unless Sceptile was one of the presumed 5 fighters absent in the leak then it's all aboard the DLC bandwagon.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The newly-revealed DLC for Mario Kart 8 really blows open what kind of post-release content we could see for SSB4. If the original Ninka leak is right and Mewtwo is on the initial roster, Sceptile would be the clear frontrunner for a Pokemon DLC newcomer.

...Unless we got a curveball thrown at us and got Breloom or something, but even that'd be interesting.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Found these on Reddit.

Curious to know if there are any translations to these, and if they mention the possibility of new Pokemon being added. The last page is also really interesting to. Zoroark and Genesect were both Pokemon that were requested for Smash and they both are shown as Pokeballs, but Sceptile or any one in the Treecko family is not shown so at least he' not deconfirmed.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Count me in for the Forest Pokemon! I've been wanting him in since the announcement of Charizard being alone and Greninja coming in as a newcomer! Everytime I play R/S/E, I always have to choose between Treecko and Torchic.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
With how perfectionist I am with OP editing and so since 4 months, I would just want to try to fix the spoilers duplicate.

It happened for me a lot, but fixing them is quite easy.

Use the basic editor (the top leftmost button) and try to check if you have unecessary size tags and be sure that the spoiler tags is always aligned to the left. The spoiler will take the whole width available anyway. If you want to use a different size, just use the size tags within the spoiler.

So, align your spoilers tags to the left. You can rearrange the alignment within the spoiler, but make sure the tags are to the left.

For the missplaced size tags, just move them or delete them according to your needs, but never let unnecessary one and if you're done with custom size, end it with a /SIZE tag.

I hope it would work because having spoilers duplicate is annoying in OP presentation and fixing them isn't that hard.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Found these on Reddit.

Curious to know if there are any translations to these, and if they mention the possibility of new Pokemon being added. The last page is also really interesting to. Zoroark and Genesect were both Pokemon that were requested for Smash and they both are shown as Pokeballs, but Sceptile or any one in the Treecko family is not shown so at least he' not deconfirmed.
Do you have other links for those pictures? They just seem to not show up when I open another tab for the images.

D

Deleted member

Apparently he is coming to the anime September 4th.

The actual special definitely has him in it, but the special is airing on November 6th.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

The actual special definitely has him in it, but the special is airing on November 6th.
Sheesh, I need to catch up on Pokemon XY The Series. The first two episodes looked so promising.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Do you have other links for those pictures? They just seem to not show up when I open another tab for the images.
I can't find it, they were Japanese scans of Pokemon confirmed to be in Smash.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

HypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeGrassHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHype!
Can't wait to see it. Hopefully Ash friggin learns how to Mega Evolve his Charizard & Sceptile, who would be uber powerful since they took down legendary pokemon before.
Sheesh, I need to catch up on Pokemon XY The Series. The first two episodes looked so promising.
I recommend it. I stopped watching the Pokemon anime after season 3 / Hoenn region, & I got into X&Y. It's fairly decent above what I expected it to be.
I can't find it, they were Japanese scans of Pokemon confirmed to be in Smash.
Snivy is definitely hurting Sceptile's chances. . . .nah I'm only kidding.:troll: But Zoroark finally confirmed a pokeball summon officially, the competition of Jiggly Mewtwo & Sceptile has no more competitors, & DLC will be likely for also Blaziken.

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
HypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeGrassHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHype!
Can't wait to see it. Hopefully Ash friggin learns how to Mega Evolve his Charizard & Sceptile, who would be uber powerful since they took down legendary pokemon before.

I recommend it. I stopped watching the Pokemon anime after season 3 / Hoenn region, & I got into X&Y. It's fairly decent above what I expected it to be.

Snivy is definitely hurting Sceptile's chances. . . .nah I'm only kidding.:troll: But Zoroark finally confirmed a pokeball summon officially, the competition of Jiggly Mewtwo & Sceptile has no more competitors, & DLC will be likely for also Blaziken.
Hmmm, I don't know about Blaziken considering we already have a fire starter... Actually, what is your avatar? Is that WarGreymon from Digimon or something? I know I've seen it before...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hmmm, I don't know about Blaziken considering we already have a fire starter... Actually, what is your avatar? Is that WarGreymon from Digimon or something? I know I've seen it before...
I posted Blaziken out there for popularity of Hoenn's sake, *sigh* he's Hoenn's favorite starter, & clone-esque characters are welcomed if they're not top priority over others like Sceptile's much-needed move-set if Ivysaur isn';t even to return for DLC.My avatar is of Machinedramon, a Digimon. You probably remember the Dark Masters battle of WarGreymen vs Machinedramon.:p

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I posted Blaziken out there for popularity of Hoenn's sake, *sigh* he's Hoenn's favorite starter, & clone-esque characters are welcomed if they're not top priority over others like Sceptile's much-needed move-set if Ivysaur isn';t even to return for DLC.My avatar is of Machinedramon, a Digimon. You probably remember the Dark Masters battle of WarGreymen vs Machinedramon.:p
Ah, I see... I wonder for the longest time why Digimon suffered in popularity until I realized the combination of male advertising despite the original Digi-Masters mostly female, the kids being chosen rather than working to become a hero like how any kid can become a Pokemon Master, and the fact that it was on Fox Kids may have been the nail in the coffin for its popularity.

I do like Blaziken though. I always have a hard time choosing between Torchic and Treecko. Never gave Mudkip a second thought. :p

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ah, I see... I wonder for the longest time why Digimon suffered in popularity until I realized the combination of male advertising despite the original Digi-Masters mostly female, the kids being chosen rather than working to become a hero like how any kid can become a Pokemon Master, and the fact that it was on Fox Kids may have been the nail in the coffin for its popularity.

I do like Blaziken though. I always have a hard time choosing between Torchic and Treecko. Never gave Mudkip a second thought. :p
Mega Swampert's muscles may change your mind. Mega Sceptile all the way though. I was Team Treecko before but now I'm Team Treecko for life. .

Not every kid can be the greatest digimon tamer, or a pokemon master.:p

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Mega Swampert's muscles may change your mind. Mega Sceptile all the way though. I was Team Treecko before but now I'm Team Treecko for life. .

Not every kid can be the greatest digimon tamer, or a pokemon master.:p
Nah, Swampert may have more muscles but he still holds his 4x weakness to Grass. So that's still hard for me to give him a second look. Plus, Lightning Rod Mega Sceptile is gonna be a nightmare to Para-Flinching Pokemon or just Pokemon that needs Paralysis to dominate.

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
I feel that he's not a good choice for a character, For Pokemon reps i would rather have Mewtwo back and Jigglypuff. I just feel that everyone jumped on the Sceptile bandwagon was because of the announcement of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. The roster was finalized in 2012 and felt that Greninja owned the spot for the Pokemon Newcomer.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's not a bandwagon, as far as I can tell. It's more that ORAS has made Sceptile relevant again and viable for SSB4, even if only through DLC. With Ivysaur gone, Sceptile has a unique niche both in moveset (as a character with nature- and plant-based powers) and in representing its home series (as it's from a generation that hasn't had any playable Pokemon characters in any Smash game).

The two biggest draws for newcomers so far have been relevance in recent years and high moveset potential. Thanks to Ivysaur being cut, Sceptile has the latter, and thanks to ORAS, Sceptile has the former. While it's doubtful it'll be enough for the initial roster, since it was decided on before ORAS was announced, Sceptile is actually a very good DLC candidate because it's become relevant since then.

Although there'll be some steep competition if Mewtwo doesn't make it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom