• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
See, I sold my Wii right before christmas so I could get a 3DS and Pokemon X. I was in between jobs at the time, so I needed the money. And it went to a good cause, went to gamestop with it, they offered 12$ lol. But I ended up selling it to a guy and his wife for 30$ for their kids. Gamestop actually gave me more for Brawl (20$) than they offered for the Wii.

And I didn't find out about Project M until after I sold it, so I never got to play Ivysaur by himself. Pokemon Trainer was one of the first people I used, and I really tried to main him but I just sucked and went back to Pikachu/Kirby and started learning how to play Sonic.

There was a small period of time when my friend was whooping my *** with Pit, and I switched to Pokemon Trainer and beat him a few games in a row. That was like my one moment of glory. I only went to two tournaments because I had been playing Halo competitively up until recently. But I used to play all the time still and one of my friends (who probably posts here, he went by Soma I think.) goes to tournaments all the time.

Ugh, I really don't like that moveset Leaf Blade as a special....no thanks. Also not really a fan of Pursuit/Giga Drain, we only need one healing move as a special, Giga Drain can be the hold attack. I would much rather his specials be,

B- Energy Ball
Up B- Leaf Storm
Side B- Leech Seed
Down B- Frenzy Plant
Damn, well there's trade-offs, so no sweat.

Ivysaur by herself in Project M is a beast, I think all the Pokemon by themselves are pretty solid. PT is a character I picked up late 2013 last year & have almost mained for an entire year, only winning one local tournament 1st place to show for any accomplishment with the character.

The Miah leak involving Sceptile's move-set wasn't that bad, it was kind of intriguing noticing it was familiar with some of the move-set makers from supporters here with talking about the specials. I took a notice to some supporters specials resembling the leak:
:GCB: = Bullet Seed. I can pretty much say that at least half of the Sceptile thread contributed Energy Ball, & Bullet Seed as the NeutralB idea. The way the leak it sounded rather status broken, successful hit was a guaranteed 'sap' draining healing mechanic, paralyzes after a short moment seemed too powerful.
:GCU:+:GCB: = Pursuit. The way the leak described it it sounded really badass despite being Pika-clone worthy in that aspect, but it's mechanics to the move kept me interested to say the least. I think half the supporters who contributed move-sets said this move would be Sceptile's Up special.
:GCL:+:GCB: :GCR:+:GCB: = Leaf Blade. I did see some Sceptile supporters have Leaf Blade as their side Special, but then again I noticed a lot of move-set being heavily focused around Leaf Blade so not surprising seeing his signature move be mentioned as a special. Described in the leak as a strong powerful dash attack that lunges forward slashing, giving off the vibe it's a strong approaching move that deals high knock-back. Kind of weird to me but hey not bad.
:GCD:+:GCB: = Mega Drain. Based off the leak's info about the move, itemits an AoE orb that drains % & healing you varying with the distance you're around other fighters. I'm kind of okay with this idea but I feel there's much better ideas to replace this move. It just doesn't seem to get much use during a battle of wits in 1 on 1 battling but probably gets much more usage in a FFA. I noticed some supporters mention this as the Down Special but I still feel there's better moves to use for a Down B move.

I don't remember what my move-set specials involved, I'd probably change them up just because I get so much grass inspiration thinking about different moves for Sceptile, but I do know that Project M Ivysaur got 3 healing moves that also dealt % when they sweet-spotted. I think Sceptile would get away with more than 1 healing / dealing % damage move(s).

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
So I've studied the thread and moveset ideas, and I revised mine. I'll give credit to anyone who claims it if something sounds too much like their idea. I got a little spoiler crazy but I think it's well organized. Also, bare with my numbers, I didn't balance a game obviously, so my numbers are just rough estimates. Without further ado, here's my vision for Sceptile.
Sceptile is fast and agile, not quite as fast or flexible as Greninja. Sceptile is built more like a velociraptor than a gecko in my mind, so I decided against crawl mechanics, however I opted for the ability to run up walls a couple steps instead of clinging. Speed, weight, and power pretty much all between Greninja and Charizard. His moveset is lots of combo moves and traps, trickster and zoning kind of character.

Specials

:GCN::GCB:: Bullet Seed (Energy Ball / Leech Seed)
Bullet Seed would be a held down spray attack that has no stun and does lots of very small, like 1% hits. Can move while spraying. Can tilt up and down. Slowly dies down. Shout out and credit to @ Masonomace Masonomace for contributing to inspiration.

Energy Ball would be a customization, pretty much just like the other Pokemon charge ball attacks, except he spits the ball instead...

Leech Seed would be the other customization, giving the Lipstick effect doing damage over time and having very small self healing properties.

:GCU::GCB:: Leaf Storm (Razor Wind / Acrobatics)
Leaf Storm would have a charge over time effect, creating larger, longer lasting wind tunnels the longer it has been stored. There would be some visual indication of a full charge. The tunnel would give Sceptile a upward launch upon use and reentry, while having a shredding twister effect on opponents that slowly lifts and racks up damage with small hits. Can attack after use in air.

Razor Wind as a custom move would take two presses to activate, one to charge and one to release. The charge will stop aerial motion momentarily like Ness and Fox's down specials, the release will launch him spiraling with blade attacks in a similar control fashion to Lucario's Extreme Speed, however there would be a jet stream behind him pushing anyone caught in it downward. Cannot attack after use in air.

Acrobatics would be basically a third jump that would create a fourth jump if it comes in contact with an opponent, attack them and springing off, fifth jumps and so on could occur if you continue to make contact. Held items would nerf the jump distance significantly.

:GCD::GCB:: Grass Knot (Seed Bomb/ Worry Seed)
Grass Knot would be a trap move, similar to Snake's landmines. Grass Knot would allow placement of up to 2 snares that would simple trip opponents much like Diddy's bananas. Sceptile is unable to trip on them.

Seed Bomb would be a power version of the trap, only allowing 1 trap, however it is a power explosive dealing great knock back and decent damage. Sceptile is vulnerable to setting it off himself.

Worry Seed would allow 1 planting, contact causing some damage and the dizziness effect. Sceptile can be hit by his own.

:GCR::GCB:: Fury Cutter (Leaf Blade/ Night Slash)
Fury Cutter would be a move sort of like Dancing Blade, being that it is a string of blade attacks, however the pattern would be more suited for Sceptiles leaf blades rather than Marth's sword. The damage doubles upon each hit if they manage to string together as a combo. Damage starts at 3% and can reach 24%, causing a complete combo to do 45%. Final swing being easier to dodge. Can be used for horizontal recovery.

Leaf Blade is a balanced version of the attack that consistently does 8% damage, and 12% for the final blow. Complete combo doing 36%.

Night Slash would have sweet spots, which do 10%, while all other hits do 5%. A perfect combo would do 40%, low end 20%.

Tilts

:GCN::GCA:: False Swipe
False Swipe would be the standard A combo, doing no knock back at all and having only a slight hit stun, the finishing move of the combo does slightly more damage, however, it would leave you vulnerable due to the lack of stun and knock back and there would be a quick moment where Sceptile has to recover from the move.

:GCU::GCA:: Cut
Cut performs an uppercut that can be used to juggle.

:GCD::GCA:: Low Sweep
Low Sweep uses the tail to trip opponents. No KO potential, but good for combos.

:GCR::GCA:: Headbutt
Headbutt would be moderately strong for a tilt, good knock back, pretty self explanatory.

Smash Attacks

:GCCU:: Grass Pledge
Grass Pledge would shot a column of vine like grass strands into the air, longer the charge, longer the column, pulling opponents out of the air down toward Sceptile.

:GCCD:: Frenzy Plant
Frenzy Plant would be directed which way Sceptile is facing, and angle the smash for quick turn around, Sceptile pushes his hands into the ground and roots grow, lashing forward. The longer the charge, the further they extend.

:GCCR:: X-Scissor
X-Scissor would be a powerful kill move, even when not charged. Very quick cross chop of a slash. Stretches forward for a slightly larger hit box, however does not have a huge range. Can be used out of a dash to stop your own motion.

Dash Attack

:GCR::GCR::GCA:: X-Scissor
Weaker, mobile version of the forward smash, still has decent KO potential, Sceptile does a cross chop while running through the opponent.

Aerials

:GCX::GCN::GCA:: Quick Attack
Quick Attack would perform a quick spin attack with the leaf blades, high priority, go defensive move.

:GCX::GCU::GCA:: Crunch
Crunch would have do initial damage as well as having a quick grab release motion that allows Sceptile to kind of throw the opponent in which direction he is holding down. Move set up for combos.

:GCX::GCD::GCA:: Slam
Slam is a spiking move with HUGE KO potential. Greatly satisfying to land. Pretty slow wind up flip, and dangerous to Sceptile if there isn't land beneath him, could prove to be hard to recover from.

:GCX::GCR::GCA:: Pursuit
Pursuit would be a weak hit, similar visual to Mario's forward air (but with a leaf blade), however the move gets stronger and a sweet spot if hitting a character who is facing away or falling out of control.

:GCX::GCL::GCA:: Aerial Ace
Aerial Ace swings the leaf bladed elbow backwards. Kind of a Ganondorf elbow but with longer range but less power.

:GCX::GCZ:: Grass Knot
With Sceptiles recovery moves all having weaknesses, I gave him a Grass Knot lasso for a tether. Hitting an opponent would pull them down and launch Sceptile up. Can grab ledges.

Grab/Throws

:GCZ::GCA:: Absorb
Grabs with his Grass Knot lasso, pulls opponent in. Pummel uses Absorb to heal Sceptile a bit with each attack.

:GCZ::GCU:: Pound
Pound would throw the opponent up, pull them down, and then do a quick pound with the tail. Two hit throw. Ground, and then tail. Bounces opponent leaving them just above and in front of you.

:GCZ::GCD:: Release
Releasing an opponent leaves them bound in the Grass Knot lasso momentarily. For them, breaking free is like breaking free as if Sceptile is still grabbing them.

:GCZ::GCR:: Headbutt
Headbutt pulls the opponent into Sceptiles face as he smashes it into them. Pretty strong throw.

:GCZ::GCL:: Slam
Slam causes to toss the opponent just above him and do a back flip tail smack that is extremely deadly.

Taunts

:GCU::GCDpad:: Battle Cry
Does the battle cry he does when he starts a battle in Pokemon. Doubles as his battle entry.

:GCD::GCDpad:: Twigarette
Puts his little twig in his mouth. Stays there until he gets hit.

:GCR::GCDpad:: Hone Claws
Sharpers leaf blades against each other, simply visual effect only.

Final Smash
Mega Evolution + Outrage. Mega evolves, raising a bunch of trees in the process, the player controls Sceptile while he thrashes around knocking over trees for a limited time. Trees are like Villagers, but visually different. Trees sprout randomly around the stage. Sceptile can move and jump, as he is lashing out automatically.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So I've studied the thread and moveset ideas, and I revised mine. I'll give credit to anyone who claims it if something sounds too much like their idea. I got a little spoiler crazy but I think it's well organized. Also, bare with my numbers, I didn't balance a game obviously, so my numbers are just rough estimates. Without further ado, here's my vision for Sceptile.
Sceptile is fast and agile, not quite as fast or flexible as Greninja. Sceptile is built more like a velociraptor than a gecko in my mind, so I decided against crawl mechanics, however I opted for the ability to run up walks a couple steps instead of clinging. Speed, weight, and power pretty much all between Greninja and Charizard. His moveset is lots of combo moves and traps, trickster and zoning kind of character.

Specials

:GCN::GCB:: Bullet Seed (Energy Ball / Leech Seed)
Bullet Seed would be a held down spray attack that has no stun and does lots of very small, like 1% hits. Can move while spraying. Can tilt up and down. Slowly dies down.

Energy Ball would be a customization, pretty much just like the other Pokemon charge ball attacks, except he spits the ball instead...

Leech Seed would be the other customization, giving the Lipstick effect doing damage over time and having very small self healing properties.

:GCU::GCB:: Leaf Storm (Razor Wind / Acrobatics)
Leaf Storm would have a charge over time effect, creating larger, longer lasting wind tunnels the longer it has been stored. There would be some visual indication of a full charge. The tunnel would give Sceptile a upward launch upon use and reentry, while having a shredding twister effect on opponents that slowly lifts and racks up damage with small hits. Can attack after use in air.

Razor Wind as a custom move would take two presses to activate, one to charge and one to release. The charge will stop aerial motion momentarily like Ness and Fox's down specials, the release will launch him spiraling with blade attacks in a similar control fashion to Lucario's Extreme Speed, however there would be a jet stream behind him pushing anyone caught in it downward. Cannot attack after use in air.

Acrobatics would be basically a third jump that would create a fourth jump if it comes in contact with an opponent, attack them and springing off, fifth jumps and so on could occur if you continue to make contact. Held items would nerf the jump distance significantly.

:GCD::GCB:: Grass Knot (Seed Bomb/ Worry Seed)
Grass Knot would be a trap move, similar to Snake's landmines. Grass Knot would allow placement of up to 2 snares that would simple trip opponents much like Diddy's bananas. Sceptile is unable to trip on them.

Seed Bomb would be a power version of the trap, only allowing 1 trap, however it is a power explosive dealing great knock back and decent damage. Sceptile is vulnerable to setting it off himself.

Worry Seed would allow 1 planting, contact causing some damage and the dizziness effect. Sceptile can be hit by his own.

:GCR::GCB:: Fury Cutter (Leaf Blade/ Night Slash)
Fury Cutter would be a move sort of like Dancing Blade, being that it is a string of blade attacks, however the pattern would be more suited for Sceptiles leaf blades rather than Marth's sword. The damage doubles upon each hit if they manage to string together as a combo. Damage starts at 2% and can reach 16%, causing a complete combo to do 30%. Can be used for horizontal recovery.

Leaf Blade is a balanced version of the attack that consistently does 6% damage, and 12% for the final blow. Complete combo doing 30%.

Night Slash would have sweet spots, which do 9%, while all other hits do 4%. A perfect combo would do 36%.

Tilts

:GCN::GCA:: False Swipe
False Swipe would be the standard A combo, doing no knock back at all and having only a slight hit stun, the finishing move of the combo does slightly more damage, however, it would leave you vulnerable due to the lack of stun and knock back and there would be a quick moment where Sceptile has to recover from the move.

:GCU::GCA:: Cut
Cut performs an uppercut that can be used to juggle.

:GCD::GCA:: Low Sweep
Low Sweep uses the tail to trip opponents. No KO potential, but good for combos.

:GCR::GCA:: Headbutt
Headbutt would be moderately strong for a tilt, good knock back, pretty self explanatory.

Smash Attacks

:GCCU:: Grass Pledge
Grass Pledge would shot a column of vine like grass strands into the air, longer the charge, longer the column, pulling opponents out of the air down toward Sceptile.

:GCCD:: Frenzy Plant
Frenzy Plant would be directed which way Sceptile is facing, and angle the smash for quick turn around, Sceptile pushes his hands into the ground and roots grow, lashing forward. The longer the charge, the further they extend.

:GCCR:: X-Scissor
X-Scissor would be a powerful kill move, even when not charged. Very quick cross chop of a slash. Stretches forward for a slightly larger hit box, however does not have a huge range. Can be used out of a dash to stop your own motion.

Dash Attack

:GCR::GCR::GCA:: X-Scissor
Weaker, mobile version of the forward smash, still has decent KO potential, Sceptile does a cross chop while running through the opponent.

Aerials

:GCX::GCN::GCA:: Quick Attack
Quick Attack would perform a quick spin attack with the leaf blades, high priority, go defensive move.

:GCX::GCU::GCA:: Crunch
Crunch would have do initial damage as well as having a quick grab release motion that allows Sceptile to kind of throw the opponent in which direction he is holding down. Move set up for combos.

:GCX::GCD::GCA:: Slam
Slam is a spiking move with HUGE KO potential. Greatly satisfying to land. Pretty slow wind up flip, and dangerous to Sceptile if there isn't land beneath him, could prove to be hard to recover from.

:GCX::GCR::GCA:: Pursuit
Pursuit would be a weak hit, similar visual to Mario's forward air (but with a leaf blade), however the move gets stronger and a sweet spot if hitting a character who is facing away or falling out of control.

:GCX::GCL::GCA:: Aerial Ace
Aerial Ace swings the leaf bladed elbow backwards. Kind of a Ganondorf elbow but with longer range but less power.

:GCX::GCZ:: Grass Knot
With Sceptiles recovery moves all having weaknesses, I gave him a Grass Knot lasso for a tether. Hitting an opponent would pull them down and launch Sceptile up. Can grab ledges.

Grab/Throws

:GCZ::GCA:: Absorb
Grabs with his Grass Knot lasso, pulls opponent in. Pummel uses Absorb to heal Sceptile a bit with each attack.

:GCZ::GCU:: Pound
Pound would throw the opponent up, pull them down, and then do a quick pound with the tail. Two hit throw. Ground, and then tail. Bounces opponent leaving them just above and in front of you.

:GCZ::GCD:: Release
Releasing an opponent leaves them bound in the Grass Knot lasso momentarily. For them, breaking free is like breaking free as if Sceptile is still grabbing them.

:GCZ::GCR:: Headbutt
Headbutt pulls the opponent into Sceptiles face as he smashes it into them. Pretty strong throw.

:GCZ::GCL:: Slam
Slam causes to toss the opponent just above him and do a back flip tail smack that is extremely deadly.

Taunts

:GCU::GCDpad:: Battle Cry
Does the battle cry he does when he starts a battle in Pokemon. Doubles as his battle entry.

:GCD::GCDpad:: Twigarette
Puts his little twig in his mouth. Stays there until he gets hit.

:GCR::GCDpad:: Hone Claws
Sharpers leaf blades against each other, simply visual effect only.

Final Smash
Mega Evolution + Outrage. Mega evolves, raising a bunch of trees in the process, the player controls Sceptile while he thrashes around knocking over trees for a limited time. Trees are like Villagers, but visually different. Trees sprout randomly around the stage. Sceptile can move and jump, as he is lashing out automatically.
Nice list!
I had problems editing it properly for some reason, making my whole post an spoiler inside your spoilers. Weird.

Overall we shared Low Sweep, Bullet Seed, & Slam, along with Absorb pummel in the sense of it.
Mostly I would like credit for the Bullet Seed idea since it's very similar to my aiming diagonally upward & downward as a new controlling mechanic. Slam is also similar but I won't ask credit for that we just have the same mind-set on that.

I also liked your explanation of the mechanics about Sceptile since we all know he's a velociraptor-like running gecko. So I understood why you wanted to remove crawling but keep wall-running / wall-moving mechanic.

Nice Custom Specials ideas, something we haven't talked enough about. and LOVED your taunt ideas. That's something I approve of for the entire Sceptile Support Thread Appreciation of you @ Reality_Ciak Reality_Ciak !

:ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur: out of :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur:.

Edit: for forests sake, Twigarette. . .omg such win.

Thanks for Posting.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
What types besides Grass could you see Sceptile bring to the table? I could see Pursuit as a Side B...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
What types besides Grass could you see Sceptile bring to the table? I could see Pursuit as a Side B...
Elemental-type moves don't mean much to Sakurai unless it's their primary kind of move-type as an attack but. .
  • Dragon = used through Final Smash or a strong smash move
  • Normal:troll: = Slam with his tail but then his tail attack will still be considered grass by Sakurai
  • Fighting:troll: = Focus Punch? Nah jk it's Super Smash Bros., a fighting game every move he uses that isn't grass-related is going to be fighting
  • Poison = because Grass tends to follow into this type of attack sometimes in the games but means very little to Sakurai
So yeah.

XionKai

Smash Cadet
Elemental-type moves don't mean much to Sakurai unless it's their primary kind of move-type as an attack but. .
  • Dragon = used through Final Smash or a strong smash move
  • Normal:troll: = Slam with his tail but then his tail attack will still be considered grass by Sakurai
  • Fighting:troll: = Focus Punch? Nah jk it's Super Smash Bros., a fighting game every move he uses that isn't grass-related is going to be fighting
  • Poison = because Grass tends to follow into this type of attack sometimes in the games but means very little to Sakurai
So yeah.
Drain Punch, for Recovery?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Out of curiosity, how does the reveal of a new Pokemon stage based on the 5th generation (rather than the more recent 3rd) affect Sceptile's chances?

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, how does the reveal of a new Pokemon stage based on the 5th generation (rather than the more recent 3rd) affect Sceptile's chances?
Well. I'd say it hurts his chances and adds more to Serperior or Zoroark's chances, however the ignorance of optimism makes me think this could simply be to make Sceptile less obvious and more surprising.

Last edited:

gitryan

Smash Rookie
From an optimistic viewpoint, it could heighten his chances!
It's possible that they just felt they needed to represent 5th gen in some way in the smash universe, with Sceptile already decided to rep gen 3..
But the outcome is pretty impossible to predict

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I still take it 50 / 50, from a viewpoint this ups every predicted pokemon's chance, Jiggs Mewtwo & Sceptile for now being my thoughts in mind. The whole "Milotic will be here too" throws me off a bit but that's a "why not!" situation to me. It feels like build-up to all the 3 anticipated playable pokemon.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Plus, showing a Hoenn based stage would be a dead give away, since one of the biggest arguments against Sceptile is that OR/AS might be "too new." Seeing it get representation at all would open the flood gates.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
From an optimistic viewpoint, it could heighten his chances!
It's possible that they just felt they needed to represent 5th gen in some way in the smash universe, with Sceptile already decided to rep gen 3..
But the outcome is pretty impossible to predict
I think that may be a bit of a stretch to say that this stage's reveal increases Sceptile's chances. We haven't really seen any indication that Sakurai cares about representing all the generations in some way; most stages we've seen are based on the most recent games, or are Pokemon Stadium. If anything, the fact that they decided to add a stage based on the 5th generation rather than the 3rd generation would indicate that the remakes will not have an impact on Smash.

Plus, showing a Hoenn based stage would be a dead give away, since one of the biggest arguments against Sceptile is that OR/AS might be "too new." Seeing it get representation at all would open the flood gates.
Yes, showing a Hoenn stage would be a dead give away, in a sense. However, at the moment, it doesn't look like there is a Hoenn stage to reveal.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Nope. I guess it's just an other 6th gen stage... Unfourtunately...

But these broken columns confuse me, I may be wrong anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nope. I guess it's just an other 6th gen stage... Unfourtunately...

Actually, it's 5th Gen.
The locale is of the Unova Pokemon League's Champion Room.

Sakurai's description of "The design of this stage is based off the surroundings of someone's castle." is alluding to N's Castle, as it attatches itself to the room.

Though it is strangely absent from the pic.

The fact Milotic appears is merely reference to Parfum Palace having statues of Reshiram, Zekrom, and Milotic. Especially since it's not statues that appear on the stage; it's the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Keep up the speculation everyone. At least in our case if our character is announced they can't complain that they only had 5 pages of support (Greninja)! Come on... Charizard, Greninja, we love you, but you seriously can't be whole without the lean, mean, leaf blading machine! Oh yea!

Rock those trumpets!

gitryan

Smash Rookie
I think that may be a bit of a stretch to say that this stage's reveal increases Sceptile's chances. We haven't really seen any indication that Sakurai cares about representing all the generations in some way; most stages we've seen are based on the most recent games, or are Pokemon Stadium. If anything, the fact that they decided to add a stage based on the 5th generation rather than the 3rd generation would indicate that the remakes will not have an impact on Smash.
That's why I said "from an optimistic viewpoint" :)
I wasn't suggesting his chances have actually increased.
Nobody can predict anything for definite (like a lot of people on here assume they're capable of)
There are many things behind the scenes that we just don't know, with many possible outcomes!
The whole situation is pretty unpredictable, which is exciting.
So I wouldn't say looking at something from an optimist angle is a stretch. Expecting solid definite answers, from the few things we know, is the stretch!

I'd love for him to be smash, but nothing has lead me to believe he's in, or not in, so far. I just like to keep positive until proven otherwise! :D

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So, honestly, how would everyone feel if Sceptile is deconfirmed? I suppose another grass starter is possible but I really do think Sceptile would make the most sense, and is also the most likely.

I would be very disappointed, but it's not like I would not buy the game in protest or something. There's no way in hell I would give up a new Smash. As much as I think having the trio is important and that it represents a core part of the Pokemon series I think I'd be able to live with it, but it would sure bug the hell out of me I'll tell you that. I might still be mentioning it around when Smash 5 is announced... :p

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So, honestly, how would everyone feel if Sceptile is deconfirmed? I suppose another grass starter is optional but I really do think Sceptile would make the most sense, and is also the most likely.

I would be very disappointed, but it's not like I would not buy the game in protest or something. There's no way in hell I would give up a new Smash. As much as I think having the trio is important and that it represents a core part of the Pokemon series I think I'd be able to live with it, but it would sure bug the hell out of me I'll tell you that. I might still be mentioning it around when Smash 5 is announced... :p
Same viewpoint pretty much.
I would feel disappointed about Sceptile de-confirmed, then again what Sceptile fan wouldn't be? Now if a grass starter wasn't confirmed in the roster at all it'd be a disgrace, without any DLC at all, I would feel 100% betrayed at the thought of Fire & Water having their own playable pokemon character slot, & Grass not having one at all. . .
That alone doesn't stop me from playing the new Smash Brothers of course, there's more to the game than just one character, SSB4 > A character, not to mention how satisfied I am with how it's already turning out with most of my favorite smash characters coming back & all.
I don't wanna sound like a broken record but. The Fire>Grass>Water trio trifecta has been implemented since SSB. Not as playable characters but in one way or another, the trio is always around through a pokeball, stage element, or playable access. Needless to say I'm confident, now take a look at this interesting reddit poll post:

Normally polls shouldn't be that important if they're small-time ones with not enough votes, unless they're official legit polls, but this one had a total of 4500 poll votes out of all the pokemon regions & their respected starters, making this kind of a big deal compared to outdated popularity polls from 2011, this voting took place 7 months ago in January 2014:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1t8tmi/results_to_my_favorite_least_favorite_starter/
Here's a pie chart of the voter's favoritism between the starters:
http://imgur.com/a/bFcJI
. . .Oh GEE look who's the most favorite Grass starter? :shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:

Off-topic but I fail to see what's so hot about Blaziken's popularity out of the fire starters. It's not about these favorites but I seriously thought Cyndaquil was more badass than Torchic & I didn't choose either to be my perma-starter from Johto & Hoenn region. Give Typloshion a Mega Evolution & I guarantee you he'll be 3 times more popular than that Blazedhen.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
So, honestly, how would everyone feel if Sceptile is deconfirmed? I suppose another grass starter is possible but I really do think Sceptile would make the most sense, and is also the most likely.

i do agree with you about not getting the game the new characters so far don't really appeal to me and sceptile would be one less character i don't really have to fake hype for just to fit in.

Same viewpoint pretty much.
I would feel disappointed about Sceptile de-confirmed, then again what Sceptile fan wouldn't be? Now if a grass starter wasn't confirmed in the roster at all it'd be a disgrace, without any DLC at all, I would feel 100% betrayed at the thought of Fire & Water having their own playable pokemon character slot, & Grass not having one at all. . .
That alone doesn't stop me from playing the new Smash Brothers of course, there's more to the game than just one character, SSB4 > A character, not to mention how satisfied I am with how it's already turning out with most of my favorite smash characters coming back & all.
I don't wanna sound like a broken record but. The Fire>Grass>Water trio trifecta has been implemented since SSB. Not as playable characters but in one way or another, the trio is always around through a pokeball, stage element, or playable access. Needless to say I'm confident, now take a look at this interesting reddit poll post:

Normally polls shouldn't be that important if they're small-time ones with not enough votes, unless they're official legit polls, but this one had a total of 4500 poll votes out of all the pokemon regions & their respected starters, making this kind of a big deal compared to outdated popularity polls from 2011, this voting took place 7 months ago in January 2014:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1t8tmi/results_to_my_favorite_least_favorite_starter/
Here's a pie chart of the voter's favoritism between the starters:
http://imgur.com/a/bFcJI
. . .Oh GEE look who's the most favorite Grass starter? :shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:

Off-topic but I fail to see what's so hot about Blaziken's popularity out of the fire starters. It's not about these favorites but I seriously thought Cyndaquil was more badass than Torchic & I didn't choose either to be my perma-starter from Johto & Hoenn region. Give Typloshion a Mega Evolution & I guarantee you he'll be 3 times more popular than that Blazedhen.
but we don't typhlosion and going by that who is the most popular fire starter not hating just saying

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Wait wait, @ smashingDoug smashingDoug when did I say "i do agree with you about not getting the game the new characters so far don't really appeal to me and sceptile would be one less character i don't really have to fake hype for just to fit in." ?
I'm guessing that's your response to Bro AJ's quote.

but we don't typhlosion and going by that who is the most popular fire starter not hating just saying
People favor Cyndaquil I guess, that was the most odd part about the poll for me too. But popularity can co-incide with favorites if looking at the pie charts for least favorite region-based starters. I feel you also good afternoon.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Wait wait, @ smashingDoug smashingDoug when did I say "i do agree with you about not getting the game the new characters so far don't really appeal to me and sceptile would be one less character i don't really have to fake hype for just to fit in." ?
I'm guessing that's your response to Bro AJ's quote.

It's a fan-favorite list, not a popularity contest. But popularity can co-incide with favorites if looking at the pie charts for least favorite region-based starters. I feel you also good afternoon.
yes that that was at bro aj
i just said popular because favorite just didn't sound right

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Damn, those polls. Why does everyone hate on grass Pokemon so much.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
yes that that was at bro aj
i just said popular because favorite just didn't sound right
Popularity & Favorites are practically synonyms & the same thing. It's weird. Yet I think we all know that Charmander is still uber #1 popular due to all the reasons, & I can believe the rest of the poll.
Damn, those polls. Why does everyone hate on grass Pokemon so much.
I know right?. . .why is that.
Idk why Snivy got so much hate, & Turtwig not doing better. Treecko doing some justice & bulbasaur losing the poll to Treecko JUST because of the downvotes he got when compared to his own region with Charmander & Squirtle. This is depressing.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Maybe if grass wasn't one of if not the worst types when it comes to strengths and weaknesses people would like it more. I for one enjoy the challenge of using a grass starter. Always hated Watson's gym when starting with Treecko. More challenging was more fun though.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm only stating an honest opinion: I do not think Sceptile would fit well in Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. I know we're all trying to find a replacement character for Ivysaur, but with Greninja being the most apparent Pokémon newcomer, I'd say Sceptile is unlikely. :(

Also, I'd much prefer the two Pokémon veterans that we've seen in the past Smash Bros games like Mewtwo:mewtwomelee: or Jigglypuff:jigglypuff64::jigglypuffmelee::jigglypuff:. I mean no offence to those who want Sceptile, I'm just saying that he's very unlikely in my opinion. Please understand.

Sadly, (and this is a mistake which I am super proud of, and intend to make it again in Alpha Sapphire) I released my Grovyle for no apparent reason, which might be another factor in why I don't support Sceptile. It just wasn't one of the Pokémon that I never really felt attached to for so long.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Maybe if grass wasn't one of if not the worst types when it comes to strengths and weaknesses people would like it more. I for one enjoy the challenge of using a grass starter. Always hated Watson's gym when starting with Treecko. More challenging was more fun though.
It's not like you'll have a Sceptile that actually obeys you even if you do evolve it at that level, let alone have the Sceptilite at that point in the game playing against Watson for the first time. I for one would love to dominate Watson later in the game with MegaSceptile's Lightningrod IF ORAS still keep the gym leaders as Match Call & you can battle them later like they did in Emerald.
Edit: How amazing would it feel to **** on Waton's hopes & Dreams of being a better Electric-type Gym Leader when you easily 1-man his whole team with just Sceptile & obliterate his chances with MegaSceptile.

Btw as a reference for the Match Call, Most Gym Leaders did Double Battle on the Match Call in Emerald, & all their pokemon at max level were about Elite Four levels roughly around 50 - 58.

I'm only stating an honest opinion: I do not think Sceptile would fit well in Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. I know we're all trying to find a replacement character for Ivysaur, but with Greninja being the most apparent Pokémon newcomer, I'd say Sceptile is unlikely. :(

Also, I'd much prefer the two Pokémon veterans that we've seen in the past Smash Bros games like Mewtwo:mewtwomelee: or Jigglypuff:jigglypuff64::jigglypuffmelee::jigglypuff:. I mean no offence to those who want Sceptile, I'm just saying that he's very unlikely in my opinion. Please understand.

Sadly, (and this is a mistake which I am super proud of, and intend to make it again in Alpha Sapphire) I released my Grovyle for no apparent reason, which might be another factor in why I don't support Sceptile. It just wasn't one of the Pokémon that I never really felt attached to for so long.
Bro relax no one's gonna attack you, we're not like other Smash Bros. Unconfirmed Character Threads.:shades:
I read this knowing your post is your opinion & you expressed it decently. So no sweat. There's valid points that go against it, @ Reality_Ciak Reality_Ciak knows.:shades:

Although in the game's perspective about AS, you're a horrible trainer for releasing a Starter.:c You're gonna miss out on MegaSceptile, the beast that will carry your doubles matches with the Sceptile + Gyarados combo. How early did you release Grovyle in the games?

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It's not like you'll have a Sceptile that actually obeys you even if you do evolve it at that level, let alone have the Sceptilite at that point in the game playing against Watson for the first time. I for one would love to dominate Watson later in the game with MegaSceptile's Lightningrod IF ORAS still keep the gym leaders as Match Call & you can battle them later like they did in Emerald.

Bro relax no one's gonna attack you, we're not like other Smash Bros. Unconfirmed Character Threads.:shades:
I read this knowing your post is your opinion & you expressed it decently. So no sweat. There's valid points that go against it, @ Reality_Ciak Reality_Ciak knows.:shades:

Although in the game's perspective about AS, you're a horrible trainer for releasing a Starter.:c You're gonna miss out on MegaSceptile, the beast that will carry your doubles matches with the Sceptile + Gyarados combo. How early did you release Grovyle in the games?
Right after Brawly, and by then, I'd already found a replacement in Sableye. (Looking forward to it's Mega Evolution!)...

But releasing my starter is NOWHERE NEAR THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE:... Running away from Kyogre.

That's a bit more justifiable. It's quite an intimidating Pokémon if you're at least 7 or so, not to mention that intimidating music! Trumpets are just what you need to induce fear or grandeur in a game. Maybe I shouldn't make these mistakes again, otherwise the entire Pokémon world will hate me forever.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Right after Brawly, and by then, I'd already found a replacement in Sableye. (Looking forward to it's Mega Evolution!)...

But releasing my starter is NOWHERE NEAR THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE:... Running away from Kyogre.

That's a bit more justifiable. It's quite an intimidating Pokémon if you're at least 7 or so, not to mention that intimidating music! Trumpets are just what you need to induce fear or grandeur in a game. Maybe I shouldn't make these mistakes again, otherwise the entire Pokémon world will hate me forever.
*Shivers*. . .That biggest mistake is rough bro.

The drum beats that took place when battling Groudon sent sent shivers, & jolts through my spine feeling a wave of nostalgia, So I know your feels with Trumpets added in. From my experiences of Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald, Sceptile was so cool & still a special Att. orientated pokemon before Gen IV was introduced changing Sceptile into a Physical, but players can use Sceptile both ways now mixing it up. MegaSceptile definitely breaks the tie score favoring Special-Sceptile again though.

Overall I'd say give Treecko a chance, when you soft-reset your ORAS game & be content with your Mudkip / Torchic.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I'm Considered that Sceptile is a need, Im really don't want another pokemon representive but in every smash bros, there always two newcomers from Pokemon. Anyway here is my though:

-Sceptile can complete the cycle of tree starters Pokemon Lineup of different regions. You got Grass-Water-Fire. He can be a very fun match but remember that every pokemon game, every single generations is about Tree starters that you must choose that are Grass, Water and Fire and has been very very important to the series.

-Pokemon 3rd Gen remake. You know that people that leak Pokemon X/Y that every starter are gonna have a evolution, was obviusly wrong but somehow right of one thing. Blaizeken have a Mega except the other twos, that means Sceptile and Swampert. And then they have their own Mega evolution. I think All the mega evolutions that was scrapped from X and Y, were moved to 3rd Remake including Sableye that appear in X and Y and then he got the Mawile treatment.

-Sceptile can represent 3rd Gen. This the biggest reason why Sceptile can be a deal, Because Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff can only represent 1 Gen, and that is really not positive here. That why Lucario was choice over Mewtwo because mewtwo is just Gen 1 and Lucario represent Gen 4 that indeed represent a further generation that need some look instead Gen 1 only. Greninja same as Lucario, Greninja show the Gen 6.(Even Pichu Suck soo much, he represent Gen 2.) But we don't have Gen 5 or 3 gen yet, and that why I feel Sceptile have a shot.

Is Sceptile is confirmed, I can agreed more with Charizard and Greninja in Smash, Seriusly having just Water and Fire don't make a difference and feels like mess of random Pokemon, That why a grass starter is very important. (Chespin, chikorita and snivy have pokeballs but not turwig or even bulbasaur yet...)

And Milotic in N castle was very freaking akward in my opinion. Is jus flat out weird but am very cool with because Im always wanted a Pokemon 5 gen stage.

Ok, Im really want sceptile in Smash, just to fix this mess of pokemon in smash bros. and Gen 3 get some love too.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm Considered that Sceptile is a need, Im really don't want another pokemon representive but in every smash bros, there always two newcomers from Pokemon. Anyway here is my though:

-Sceptile can complete the cycle of tree starters Pokemon Lineup of different regions. You got Grass-Water-Fire. He can be a very fun match but remember that every pokemon game, every single generations is about Tree starters that you must choose that are Grass, Water and Fire and has been very very important to the series.

-Pokemon 3rd Gen remake. You know that people that leak Pokemon X/Y that every starter are gonna have a evolution, was obviusly wrong but somehow right of one thing. Blaizeken have a Mega except the other twos, that means Sceptile and Swampert. And then they have their own Mega evolution. I think All the mega evolutions that was scrapped from X and Y, were moved to 3rd Remake including Sableye that appear in X and Y and then he got the Mawile treatment.

-Sceptile can represent 3rd Gen. This the biggest reason why Sceptile can be a deal, Because Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff can only represent 1 Gen, and that is really not positive here. That why Lucario was choice over Mewtwo because mewtwo is just Gen 1 and Lucario represent Gen 4 that indeed represent a further generation that need some look instead Gen 1 only. Greninja same as Lucario, Greninja show the Gen 6.(Even Pichu Suck soo much, he represent Gen 2.) But we don't have Gen 5 or 3 gen yet, and that why I feel Sceptile have a shot.

Is Sceptile is confirmed, I can agreed more with Charizard and Greninja in Smash, Seriusly having just Water and Fire don't make a difference and feels like mess of random Pokemon, That why a grass starter is very important. (Chespin, chikorita and snivy have pokeballs but not turwig or even bulbasaur yet...)

And Milotic in N castle was very freaking akward in my opinion. Is jus flat out weird but am very cool with because Im always wanted a Pokemon 5 gen stage.

Ok, Im really want sceptile in Smash, just to fix this mess of pokemon in smash bros. and Gen 3 get some love too.
Appreciate your points @ Aguki90 Aguki90 , Thanks for Posting~
To clarify something based on your favoring points for Sceptile & your want for him to be in Smash Bros., Private Message me if you wanted to be a supporter for Sceptile & we get you on the list.:shades:

It's not really a surprise why Gen.1 has so many reps it's what started Pokemon, the original 150 151. Lucario getting in over Mewtwo due to overrepresentation of Gen.1 is a open-minded way to look at it, but it's not the only reason to what happened to Mewtwo being cut. Going on about Greninja however is convincing since Game Freak did want to promote their X&Y games with Greninja to Sakurai. It all seems to fit but there's more to it.

I'd like to see Squirtle / Wartortle / Blastoise return as a pokeball, which Squirtle was a balloon in the Poke Floats stage in Melee & was the first ever playable Water Starter in Brawl, Blastoise was a Pokeball in Smash64 & in Melee. Bulbasaur / Ivysaur / Venusaur as a pokeball too. Ivysaur & Venusaur more due to Ivysaur being the first ever playable Grass starter pokemon, & Venusaur already implemented as once a Stage Element in Smash64, a set stage balloon on Poke Floats, & as a pokeball in Melee.

Again thanks~:ivysaur: is watching you~

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
*Shivers*. . .That biggest mistake is rough bro.

The drum beats that took place when battling Groudon sent sent shivers, & jolts through my spine feeling a wave of nostalgia, So I know your feels with Trumpets added in. From my experiences of Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald, Sceptile was so cool & still a special Att. orientated pokemon before Gen IV was introduced changing Sceptile into a Physical, but players can use Sceptile both ways now mixing it up. MegaSceptile definitely breaks the tie score favoring Special-Sceptile again though.

Overall I'd say give Treecko a chance, when you soft-reset your ORAS game & be content with your Mudkip / Torchic.
Actually, I might see this as the end to the past mistakes I made. A new way to see the original games to the end. For this, I will start with Treeko. :)

However, I'd suggest that if there was an alternative for Sceptile, I'd much prefer Grovyle. It fills in the first evolution gap that Ivysaur left, and I'd happily support it... given my lack of support for it in Ruby and Sapphire, not to mention Grovyle was a really good character in Explorers of Time and Darkness!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Actually, I might see this as the end to the past mistakes I made. A new way to see the original games to the end. For this, I will start with Treeko. :)

However, I'd suggest that if there was an alternative for Sceptile, I'd much prefer Grovyle. It fills in the first evolution gap that Ivysaur left, and I'd happily support it... given my lack of support for it in Ruby and Sapphire, not to mention Grovyle was a really good character in Explorers of Time and Darkness!
The Forest Master blesses you with grass-loving leaves. I'd fully experience what Sceptile's limit of fun can reach at. When you reached that peak of fun for the character that's when it falls into 2 choices: Maintain that level of fun & continue that level with perfecting your hatched Seceptile competitively / Casually, or drop him for another starter beginning anew.

This has been discussed about plenty of times, Grovyle being a more reasonable / logical choice to fit in well with the Smash Bros. fighting universe with his Mystery Dungeon inspired move-set. The only issue & it's a HUGE issue is, Sakurai hasn't really represented Pokemon spin-offs. . .I'm a bit depressed from that considering Paper Mario got a confirmed stage of it's self in Sm4sh so it's possible, but it's less possible of Grovyle becoming a SSB fighter than Sceptile.
The only spin-off representations Pokemon's ever gotten in Melee was a Pokemon Snap Trophy of the ZERO-ONE, while all of the pokemon from the Pokeball summons are base don their designs in Pokemon Stadium 2. It's sad to say but the only other technical representation Spin-off pokemon games ever got was the pokemon from the Pokeball summons 3rd & 4th generation are based off their designs in the spin-off titles Pokemon Colosseum & Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Overall, you have just one trophy from Pokemon Snap, & pokemon's designs from their pokeball summons in Melee & Brawl based off the spin-off games, just their designs. By this pattern / logic, Grovyle has a good chance to represent itself as a trophy, a Pokeball summon of something he does from his respected spin-off game, & that's it.
I don't see Grovyle becoming a playable character representing a spin-off game, however Paper Mario's sudden representation has me thinking about the chances for PMD Grovyle to be somewhat plausible.

Entire Source is here:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Pokémon

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The Forest Master blesses you with grass-loving leaves.
don't see Grovyle becoming a playable character representing a spin-off game, however Paper Mario's sudden representation has me thinking about the chances for PMD Grovyle to be somewhat plausible.
Thank you! :)
In a broader sense, I was referring to Grovyle as a species of Pokémon, much like how there's obviously more than one Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard... ALL THE POKéMONS!!! \0o0/ An ordinary Grovyle from the Pokémon series in general would be fine, but it's the PMD Grovyle that's the most iconic, (second to Ash's, though I didn't want Grovyle to evolve...) I guess either way, I'd be happy to see the Grass-type represented in the long run, and seeing all the supporters, Sceptile really has a lot going for him! If either Grovyle or Sceptile make it into Smash, I'll stand corrected.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thank you! :)
In a broader sense, I was referring to Grovyle as a species of Pokémon, much like how there's obviously more than one Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard... ALL THE POKéMONS!!! \0o0/ An ordinary Grovyle from the Pokémon series in general would be fine, but it's the PMD Grovyle that's the most iconic, (second to Ash's, though I didn't want Grovyle to evolve...) I guess either way, I'd be happy to see the Grass-type represented in the long run, and seeing all the supporters, Sceptile really has a lot going for him! If either Grovyle or Sceptile make it into Smash, I'll stand corrected.
lol dat face. anyways alright I see what you're saying, a regular Grovyle implementing the grass play-style still sounds amazing to me, since I'd love for Grass to represent a playable fighter in Sm4sh. Best scenario being Sceptile for all his reasons of promotion, but the next best thing to happen is Grovyle since I still adore Treecko's evolutionary line & want to see 3rd Gen. get some representation!

3rd & 5th Generations are the only generations to still not have a playable pokemon fighter. So the next-best case scenario after Grovyle de-confirmed is some love for 5th gen Serperior.
Oshawott, who's from the same region & generation as Snivy, is a confirmed pokeball summon. Chespin being Kalo's & the 6th generation Grass starter, is a confirmed pokeball summon. Finally Snivy, who was a pokeball summon in the Greninja trailer, isn't fully confirmed by any source. With Snivy practically de-confirmed leaving Servine & Serperior remaining, Serperior would make more sense despite the controversy of that character somehow being created & developed to be a fighter in Super Smash Bros., but then again, Ivysaur as the first quadruped pokemon fighter, doesn't make this task impossible, especially for Sakurai to do.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
We can definitely get 150+ supporters. All it takes is one more push of hinting of grass in Smash Bros. / another trailer of ORAS.;)

Top Bottom