• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The European smash index

dandan

Smash Lord
I have decided to write this so that European newcomers, and those who have played smash 64 before will know how to find players in Europe and play with them.

The Group
The group is actually a skype group which currently holds about 100 different European smashers. In order to join this group, you first need to download and install skype, which you can find here:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

After installing it, to join the group, simply post here and someone will invite you to the group.

Here, you will find many players practically all day long, looking for someone to play 1v1s or teams with.

The essentials for playing

First and foremost you will need to download the pj64k emulator, as it is the emulator of choice around here and almost everyone uses it. you can find the emulator with the latest plugins and rdb here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jjzedmhijhz

It is important to note that i have not included the ssb rom as it is not allowed on these boards but just ask us about it in the group if you are having difficulties finding it.

If you already have the pj64k emulator and just want to download the P2P client seperately (I will explain what the P2P client is in the "Where to play" segment), it can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gzonczghyy1

Where to play
There are a couple of methods you can use to playing:
The first is playing via the P2P client, using this method, 2 players (and only 2) can connect to one another directly in order to play. This method is the best way to play 1v1 matches as the connection it created is smoother and overall better than that of servers, which are the second method of playing.
The second is playing on servers, servers can be used for playing up to 4 players. There is currently no good server in Europe, but the main one is probably EmuParadise (50.7.161.234:27888).

The community
There is not a lot to say about the community, we are all nice guys and just love to play ssb (well not all, but those who don't enjoy talking in the main chat so it gets more lively).
The only thing I think might have value to add is the latest player tier list that was done by the group (outdated and needs to be redone), and you can find it here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265484

That is just about everything i can think of, if you are a European smash player, be sure to come and check the group out as we all always want to play with new players.
And if anyone has suggestions about things that i need to add or subtract from this thread, please reply.

That is all from your friendly European smasher,
dandan :bee:

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Good stuff. Not much I can add, except this: if you don't use windows live messenger for some reason (when you're not at home for example), I recommend using meebo (google it) because other messenger programs don't show the names of the people that are talking in the chat.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'll sticky this for now, while we organize the 64 boards, and... well, if it turns out to be good, I'll keep it, and if it doesn't, I'll combine it with another sticky somehow.

But for now, stickied.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If we could get a regional sticky - I could write some stuff for Australia/NZ, I'm almost a veteran compared to most, and I maintain decent relationships with the admins of our major server. I also hold the semi-successful SSB64 tourneys for the Aus/NZ region, so if a regional thread comes up, let me know and I'll type some stuff out.

dandan

Smash Lord
there are over 700 mil people in europe, how much more do you want :D

NixxxoN

Smash Master
You should add the israel/middle orient section for dan

J/K :)

Maybe you should separate north and south america

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I was thinking of shoving Dan with the Penguins from the Antarctic :p

Those weren't going to be the only three sections... but, well, it was just so that you to get the idea... and I think you did :p

asianaussie

Smash Hero
North America
- US
- Canada
Europe
- Assorted Countries not in the M.E.
- Middle East (I know its technically Asia but w/e)
Japan
South America
Australia

NixxxoN

Smash Master
North America
- US
- Canada
Europe
- Assorted Countries not in the M.E.
- Middle East (I know its technically Asia but w/e)
Japan
South America
Australia
Well I dont think its about continents but about delay and about players. We only know one player from middle east and one from africa, and they are both very close to europe so africa and middle east discarded.
About asia... Much likely no one of them comes here. It seems they have their own way for communicating and its not this site
USA and Canada gotta be certainly in one single group

So far I can see 4 groups, NA, SA, EUR, AUS/ASIA

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm having a hard time finding people to play. Whenever I sign on MSN in the evening there's like nobody online and all the servers are either down or there's only a few random people on them not playing SSB.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I'm having a hard time finding people to play. Whenever I sign on MSN in the evening there's like nobody online and all the servers are either down or there's only a few random people on them not playing SSB.
The servers are indeed a bad place to find people sadly. The problem with Europe is that there isnt one big server like Galaxy: There are several small servers and the people are split on all those. However on the MSN group there are always people connected.
Btw Lufia Server is back.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
If you joined the msn group, and you're online on normal times, you should have no problem finding people to play. Sure, sometimes when you type anything there no one responds, but usually there are people online. Just don't go to servers alone, it's no use. You can also ask people in the group to add them normally, sometimes they don't look in the group chat

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hi everyone!

I've noticed that when someone sends a link of a vid in the msn group, the link is automatically "transformed" into another one of the form http://bit.ly/ which often results in the error 502, bad gateway.

I think that if instead of sending the link, one just sends the URL (without the http stuff for example), the others would just copy/paste the URL and they would be able to see the video.

So my question is: am I right in what I said? If yes, then it could become a good habit to send an URL to copy/paste but not a link.

Or if we could fix this problem it would even be better. The thing is that I don't know anything about internet stuff. (I don't even know what this error 502 means :laugh: )

And also, another question: at my mother's place (Win XP) I can't see the activity panel, I get series of funny symbols (‹V[ÓF~^$þÃÔ¥rÒn섆´8qRV"€¶[¡ ), but at my father's (Vista) it works perfectly.

Does somebody know why I have this problem? Is it related to the OS?

Thanks in advance!

Sangoku

Smash Master
Special request from Isai, but I think everybody should know: the mascot of the European smash community, the great, the epic, the only one, the parrot:

Dandan is the one who loves it the most ;).

And requested by King Funk, the mirror parrot:

And finally, the family is complete:

And:

So if one wonders what's the difference between them: one is looking left, turning clockwise, one is looking left, turning counter clockwise, one is looking right, turning clockwise and one is looking right, turning counter clockwise.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Special request from Isai, but I think everybody should know: the mascot of the European smash community, the great, the epic, the only one, the parrot:

Dandan is the one who loves it the most ;).

And requested by King Funk, the mirror parrot:

And finally, the family is complete:

And:

So if one wonders what's the difference between them: one is looking left, turning clockwise, one is looking left, turning counter clockwise, one is looking right, turning clockwise and one is looking right, turning counter clockwise.
QF...WTF?

spaces

NixxxoN

Smash Master
well well, the euro ssb64 group (we originally were like 6-7 players) is slowly becoming the world ssb64 group :O!

Olikus

Smash Champion
I think there are more players in europe than many are aware of. I just think not so many europeen players know of this organised community as american players. I randomly found this site a year ago watching ssb fights on youtube. I know many players in scandinavia, but allmost none of them had heard of smashboards. Maybe they're not that good, but whatever. If anyone find a good way to get people to know about this site, the community will expand a lot.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think there are more players in europe than many are aware of. I just think not so many europeen players know of this organised community as american players. I randomly found this site a year ago watching ssb fights on youtube. I know many players in scandinavia, but allmost none of them had heard of smashboards. Maybe they're not that good, but whatever. If anyone find a good way to get people to know about this site, the community will expand a lot.
+1000000

everybody should try to bring as many people as possible to the community esp. if they are from europe.
I've tried with my friends, no luck

dandan

Smash Lord
not that i know of, some of the 64 players play melee and go to live melee tournies and also play 64 there.
just this week a few of the top euro players met at a tourney in england.

Olikus

Smash Champion
K. You think its going to be a offline tourney for 64 in the future? Or does the wide country range and the costs make it impossible? Even like just a yearly event.

dandan

Smash Lord
unfortunately for me i am in israel so i will not be attending no matter where in europe it will be.
depeds if there will be enough people, i doubt it though.
still, travelling inside europe with ryanair is not that expensive.

Skyground95

Smash Cadet
Well im from Scandinavia (Norway, actually:p), but I wondered, if I have a slow connection, am I still able to play SSB64 online?

dandan

Smash Lord
what is a slow connection, dial up?
we have several scandinavian smashers btw.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Even if you're capped you can join a p2p game and have it run at full (or close to full) speed with few lagspikes. Don't expect to host though.

im asking here before i do anything

if i write an OP similar to what dandan did, only with australia, will someone edit it in or would a separate thread be better?

there are people playing videogames down under too y'know

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Yeah i "WONT"give you an infraction you on the double post but to answer your question...

...maybe someone needs to make an international smash index instead?

Top Bottom