• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I agree, I always though he made so much sense and represented more than met the eye... The big thing against him is his infamy :(
I don't think that's a flaw, we like to hate on DHD it's what he's known for (Sakurai probably knows too), that's what made him a notable retro candidate.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It would be pretty cool if we did get a retro trailer with both Duck Hunt Dog and Takamaru simultaneously confirmed. Maybe the trailer opens with a beautiful Japanese marsh... Takamaru is running through tall grass that moves with the wind... he stops when he hears noises from the tall grass... familiar ducks fly out of the grass... and Takamaru is ambushed by Greninja and Sheik... Takamaru pulls out his katana... TAKAMARU UNSHEATHES THE KATANA! Cue a short montage showcasing Takamaru's moves.

After the montage ends, Takamaru fights Sheik and Greninja but then they are interrupted by a flock of ducks flying past them... an infamously familiar laughter is heard and the Duck Hunt Dog jumps out of the tall grass... DUCK HUNT DOG LAUGHS! Cue a short montage showcasing Duck Hunt Dog's moves.

After the second montage ends, Takamaru, Sheik, and Greninja are lying on the ground like Chrom was... and the camera moves toward the tall grass where the Duck Hunt Dog comes out and laughs at the screen and disappears into the tall grass.

Last edited:

ManInTransit

Smash Rookie
NNID
ManInTransit
3DS FC
1203-9234-1405
Yes! I was just talking about this guy the other day. My friend is not into it, but I think he'd have some interesting variety. At the very least make him an assist trophy.

Support!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Something to consider... suppose Duck Hunt Dog is in... what custom special moves would he have besides the ones I posted on the OP... I made that moveset in 2012 which was long before custom special moves were confirmed.

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
Maybe different color ducks which might have different kind of attacks (I.e. fire damage, electric damage, slash damage.)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If DHD had a duck throwing move, they would have a fast flying least offensive duck option and a slow most offensive flying duck.
For the NES Zapper, Probably paralyzing properties and the other being freezing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe different color ducks which might have different kind of attacks (I.e. fire damage, electric damage, slash damage.)
Err... elemental moves are something I want to avoid when it comes to Duck Hunt Dog's moves. I feel they don't suit Duck Hunt Dog because they were never part of the NES game.

I guess we could make the neutral special (the duck move) different...

1) have the duck automatically act like a homing missile where it flies toward the opponent and the hunter from the fourth wall automatically shoots the duck when the duck overlaps with the opponent

2) have the dog throw two ducks that randomly fly around the opponents and the hunter from the fourth wall keeps missing the ducks so we have a bunch of gunfire explosions (you know how fireworks explode in the NES Super Mario Bros.? yeah, like those) surrounding opponents and characters get hurt in those gunfire explosions

We could make the side special (the frisbee move) different...

1) the dog throws the frisbee straight but it does not hit the opponent... instead the hunter from the fourth wall keeps missing the frisbee so we have a line of gunfire explosions trailing behind the frisbee and characters get hurt in those gunfire explosions

2) the dog throws the frisbee straight like a regular missile and the hunter from the fourth wall automatically shoots the frisbee when the frisbee overlaps with the opponent

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Much agreed with everybody here, as much as I love DHD, that leak seriously blows. Dr Mario was my main from Melee and I would seriously be pissed if he and Dark Pit make it into this game at the cost of Wolf, Lucas and even the Ice Climbers. Not to mention the Bowser Jr clown car idea sucks too.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Would it be too much to ask to have him able to poop as part of his move set causing players that step in it to move slower or slip?

It would make the character so much better if he was slightly more crude.

Maybe even lifting his leg and peeing on opponents? Too far? probably. But he's a dog.

Bite, lick, bark and dig need to be in the move set too.

Also a nice tackle/ take down like Dino in the Flintstones.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Much agreed with everybody here, as much as I love DHD, that leak seriously blows. Dr Mario was my main from Melee and I would seriously be pissed if he and Dark Pit make it into this game at the cost of Wolf, Lucas and even the Ice Climbers. Not to mention the Bowser Jr clown car idea sucks too.
Like I said, if it came to cuts, there's always DLC to make up for it.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Like I said, if it came to cuts, there's always DLC to make up for it.
True but come on, that's really digging low to cut semi clones for outright ones that could easily have been alternate costumes. The trade off of DHD for IC would be too much for me, as I love both of them and wouldn't want it to be that way. I would much prefer DHD being DLC just so the IC could retain their place in the game that they deserve. Plus being DLC, he'll more than likely be included next smash either roster slot or DLC again. Cut characters would need miracles to join back in seeing how Mewtwo still isn't getting any favors while Dr Mario would somehow only further upset people.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I don't think this character should have a moveset based entirely around Duck Hunt, that would just be kind of lame. I always cringed at the idea of playing as Pac Man because I thought his moveset would be a major stretch that lacked any kind of flair or variety, but since Sakurai gave him Namco's entire retro history to use, why couldn't Duck Hunt Dog be the same? Just use Duck Hunt Dog as the personality and give him moves that reference old NES games, in the fashion of a mischevious hammer-space character akin to Looney Tunes. His moveset consisting entirely of ducks, frisbees and snipers is just boring to me.

I'd love to see him in the game, just not with any of the movesets shown so far.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think this character should have a moveset based entirely around Duck Hunt, that would just be kind of lame. I always cringed at the idea of playing as Pac Man because I thought his moveset would be a major stretch that lacked any kind of flair or variety, but since Sakurai gave him Namco's entire retro history to use, why couldn't Duck Hunt Dog be the same? Just use Duck Hunt Dog as the personality and give him moves that reference old NES games, in the fashion of a mischevious hammer-space character akin to Looney Tunes. His moveset consisting entirely of ducks, frisbees and snipers is just boring to me.

I'd love to see him in the game, just not with any of the movesets shown so far.
Pac-Man is associated with Namco Museum... of course he would get Namco sprites.

Duck Hunt Dog using NES sprites wouldn't make sense. If we need to, we could just give him stuff from other NES Zapper games. He could pull out the criminal cardboard cutouts and throw tin cans from Hogan's Alley so the hunter from the fourth wall would shoot at them. He could summon a random Wild Gunman to shoot at opponents and get shot by the hunter from the fourth wall.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I feel like Duck Hunt dog is closer to a real dog than Greninja is closer to a real frog. Plus I don't like the idea of beating dogs.

Would support as an Assist or part of a stage.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I never seen a dog that looks like the DHD in real life.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel like Duck Hunt dog is closer to a real dog than Greninja is closer to a real frog. Plus I don't like the idea of beating dogs.

Would support as an Assist or part of a stage.
These are real dogs.

This is a cartoon dog.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I never said he looked like a real dog, I said he looks he's closer to a real dog than Greninja looks closer to a real frog.

Eh, nevermind. I looked at his moveset. I approve.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Quick mock up of a moveset, maybe someone can flesh it out and expand upon it for me.

B: Bite
Side B: Throws a clay disc.
Up B: Tackle/ Take down (Dino Flintstones style)
Down B: Poop, creates a pile of poop that trips.

Up Recovery: Holds two birds by the feet as they fly him closer to safety.
Grab: Bite and shake then throw
Dodge/Roll: Rollover animation as it moves through an enemy.

Taunt: Laugh/ snicker.
Final Smash: Hunter shoots enemies for DHD from the 4th wall.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Farts are kinda dumb tbh :/ I kinda dislike Wario in Smash because of that.
Well judging from your profile you're a female so you're more mature by nature...

Farts are okay when done at the right time. Many times they're done at the wrong time. Haha.

I would be stoked to see a revamped Wario even if that means without the waft, though...

Last edited:

Reila

Well judging from your profile you're a female so you're more mature by nature...

Farts are okay when done at the right time. Many times they're done at the wrong time. Haha.
Well... not all females are more mature by nature... Still, I just think it is kind of a stupid thing to put in a character's moveset.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Well... not all females are more mature by nature... Still, I just think it is kind of a stupid thing to put in a character's moveset.
Ah well I guess that was a very broad generalization. I guess they could change his moveset in general. I didn't like him too much in Brawl anyways haha.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Farts are kinda dumb tbh :/ I kinda dislike Wario in Smash because of that.
I hated Wario's moveset. It had little to do with Wario Land... which was why I wanted Wario in the first place... it was stupid to give him a farting move.

I don't want Duck Hunt Dog to have that kind of moveset. Anyone who wants a character like that should support Conker instead.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
The idea of Duck Hunt Dog having a crude moveset like ****ting all over the stage is the worst idea I have ever heard.

His design is clearly meant to resemble a retro cartoon character. Hell, he's practically Muttley's cousin. That alone has so much potential for a moveset without resorting to poop jokes.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The idea of Duck Hunt Dog having a crude moveset like ****ting all over the stage is the worst idea I have ever heard.

His design is clearly meant to resemble a retro cartoon character. Hell, he's practically Muttley's cousin. That alone has so much potential for a moveset without resorting to poop jokes.
Smash needs more poop, it's what dogs do.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Smash needs more poop, it's what dogs do.

We already have this move. It being there was stupid for that character and would be even stupider on this one. Please take the notion that this game needs more poop jokes back to literally every second-rate animated film ever.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Hey guys! I never truly cared for Duck Hunt Dog though I thought he'd be the best fit for a retro rep!

Now... due to umm.... situations... I definitely support him!

Not gonna talk about such "situations"... but there's a chance to get hype ;)

shhh

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the dog would need a signature move that is based on his laughing, maybe even two.

Perhaps it could work as a means of disable, to work on a character from large distances and make their move fail (demoralization, go!)
Or it could just give him a block/immunity during the duration of the laugh, because he is above you and cannot be hurt while he is laughing at you.
It could simply paralyze you for a moment too, if that works alright in the idea of disable (if canceling an opponents move is too strong of an attack).

I also think his proper name would need to be showcased in the game.
*why am I not yet on the supporters list? He is my number one retro, and top five characters I want added!*

Last edited:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Goodbye Takamaru, hello Duck Hunt Dog! :D

I am so stoked (but sorry for Takamaru fans )

Reila

I am really sorry for Takamaru fans (I was a supporter, but not familiar enough with the character to be called a fan). On other hand. DHD have more chances now, since THE arguably biggest "dead retro" character was deconfirmed. I am just afraid we might not get any retro characters this time. Maybe Sakurai considerers Little Mac a "retro" character.

Top Bottom