• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This thread is designed for fans and supporters of the infamous dog from the classic shoot 'em up NES game, Duck Hunt.

credit goes to MrBigTheArtist (on DeviantArt)

credit goes to @Juliusaurus

These were my ideas for Duck Hunt Dog's special moves.

Duck Hunt Dog's standard special move is based on controlling a duck via the NES controller plugged into the 2P slot. The Dog simply releases a duck and then the duck flies around. The person who is playing Duck Hunt shoots the duck. There is a time limit when controlling a duck. If you take too long to shoot a duck, it will fly away after 5 seconds.

Duck Hunt Dog's side special move is based on the Clay Shooting mode. The Dog simply throws a clay pigeon like Link would throw his boomerang. The person who is playing Duck Hunt shoots the clay pigeon.

Duck Hunt Dog's up special move is inspired by ducks flying away. The Dog pulls out two ducks and hangs on to their feets as they all fly together.

Duck Hunt Dog's down special move is a high-risk, high-reward move where the Dog gets shot for laughing at the person who is playing Duck Hunt. If it is pulled successfully, the Dog could score a KO. If not, the Dog suffers 10% damage and is stunned for 3 seconds.

Duck Hunt Dog's Final Smash puts the NES Zapper in your hands as you play Duck Hunt with a Smash twist. You are given three shots and each shot can KO an opponent with one hit. Many ducks are obscuring your view - make each shot count!

Click here for a sneak preview of what Duck Hunt Dog might do if/when he gets in Smash. :awesome:

Oh, and check out this one! Duck Hunt Dog in action in this Brawl hack!

This is the official moveset!!!!

I am amazed how parts of the official moveset are similar to our ideas and the DHD's moveset in Crusade.

• Throwing clay pigeons. Check
  • Hunter shooting from the fourth wall. Check
  • Flying away with duck. Check
  • Cartwheel from Crusade. Check
  • Duck pecking enemies. Check
  • At least one move from Hogan's Alley. Check (OMG... this is what I suggested on page 7 "him throwing a tin can and the hunter shoots at it" except the official move involves kicking, not throwing, and it is not a Smash move but a special move)
  • At least one move from Wild Gunman. Check (Yikes... this is what I suggested on page 9 "He could summon a random Wild Gunman to shoot at opponents" except the hunter doesn't shoot them and they are 8-bit sprites (so I was wrong; they do make sense)
  • Laughing taunt. Check
  • Banjo-Kazooie team. Check (no, seriously, I suggested this a long time ago on NinDB)

February 6, 2005
September 19, 2007 I quote myself "he has a duck on his back. It is like Banjo-Kazooie, only with a dog and a duck instead of a bear and a breegull. The duck is used as part of his moves."
June 10, 2008 No mention of Banjo-Kazooie here but wow, some of these moves are conceptually similar to the official moveset - especially Smash Up, Smash Side, Aerial Forward, Aerial Up, and Aerial Down (at least the meteor smash part)

This was the proposed icon for Duck Hunt Dog. I felt that it made sense since the character would represent the NES Zapper...

Turns out I was right that the "Duck Hunt" character would represent the NES Zapper but wrong about the icon... I am still happy about it anyway! :awesome:

This is the official icon!!! It really looks good. :cool:

List of Supporters

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This was my original idea for the Duck Hunt stage.

This is the Duck Hunt stage. The name "Shooting Range" comes from Wii Play. There was that shooting mini-game with the Duck Hunt theme.

You got three large platforms similar to the main platform in the "Pictochat" stage in Brawl. The right platform keeps the score whenever a duck gets shot. It counts the score just like the scoring seen in the "75m" stage in Brawl. The middle platform has a tree growing on it. This tree has four pass-through platforms much like the tree seen in the "Onett" stage in Melee. Ducks randomly fly around the stage. Stay away from the ducks or you will get caught in the crossfire. There is a chance you could get KO'd at high percentages.

The background is from the Duck Shooting and Clay Shooting modes combined. I really think the background would look breathtaking if it were either HD or cel-shaded (like Wind Waker or Okami). :awesome:

This is the official Duck Hunt stage in SSB4 Wii U!!!!

The stage in action!!!

Here's one more! Funny how the 8-bit DHD sprite laughs at the end... followed immediately by the playable DHD laughing at the end of the match! :troll:

These were my original ideas for Duck Hunt Dog's palette swaps. My idea for Wild Gunman hats didn't happen but the gunmen from that NES Zapper game got in as the dog's Down+B move.

EDIT: These are some of my ideas of Duck Hunt Dog's palette swaps where he wears different hats like Pikachu and Jigglypuff do.

The sombrero and the cowboy hat are from Wild Gunman, another NES Zapper game, which I think is quite appropriate. I think it would be even cooler if Duck Hunt Dog also wore the white poncho and the red bandana when he is wearing the sombrero or the cowboy hat, respectively.

The blue top hat is from Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, yet another NES Zapper game but it only came out in North America, but it suits Duck Hunt Dog very well because he made a cameo in that game (his first ever cameo) where he wore the hat. Maybe the dog could wear Barker Bill's blue tuxedo, complete with the vest and the coattails - a magician's dog? :awesome: It could work as his blue team costume.

I thought it was fitting for Duck Hunt Dog to wear General Pepper's hat because of the whole "Mr. Peepers" myth. Maybe he could wear General Pepper's costume??? It could work as his red team costume.

The same goes for wearing Peach's crown because a random dog was seen wearing a crown in Super Mario Bros. 3 and that dog kinda resembles Duck Hunt Dog. Maybe he could wear the World 3 Mushroom King's cape (the king who looks like Mario in green) to compliment the crown? It could be his green team costume!

These are the official palette swaps for Duck Hunt!!!! They are all based on real life dog breeds! How awesome is that?!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Credit goes to @vaanrose for making this DHD model. Looks decent at first... but even he disowned it after he first saw the official DHD model in the leaks.

It is amazing how different yet similar the official models and the hacked models are... even the duck is purple in vaanrose's model!! And the teeth too!!!

Here are some amazing screenshots of how Duck Hunt Dog might look like in 3D. I love his trollface grin. :troll:

Hilarious in hindsight... Mario Circuit and Delfino Plaza are in those screenshots... and they are returning Brawl stages in SSB4 Wii U! Now it looks like we can play DHD in those two stages in the official game!!! :awesome:

Below are some amazing official screenshots of the Duck Hunt Dog & Duck in SSB4!!! Plus the poster, of course. :awesome:

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I support.I know he is pretty famous,so no doubt most people will recognize him.

And if that happens,haters can freely spam down special for 3 days.lol

Shouldn't you name him as Mr.Peeper?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Don't think he'll happen, but would love it if he did, especially after playing him in Smash Bros. Crusade. He's a shock character that we all actually recognize and have (Not so) fond memories of but still qualifies for the position, rather than some obscure out of left field character like Diskun or Sheriff.

And dear lord let's hope Miis don't fill this role.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This guy is my number one shock pick (I would've made the thread myself if I were more knowledgeable about Duck Hunt's importance to Nintendo). He would bring a pretty unique cartoony style to the game without falling into any existing (read: sword-using) archetypes. I especially like your Down Special, though this would most likely become a spammable taunt instead.

Smady

Smash Master
Great OP for this character. He's also my preferred shock character, as he could have an interesting moveset and is genuinely shocking as a pick without being random. And as also already said, I really, really hope he gets in over Mii, though hopefully Mii's get in as some form of 'nametag' or other part of the profile / name system and are not a playable character.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
This is the most stupidest ******** random crazy idea I've ever heard...... i love it give me more moveset

:phone:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I support The Duck Hunt Dog. I prefer Smashking201's moveset, but that one is pretty good as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Where's SmashChu's objections when you need them? The support I'm seeing here is really surprising me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm not SmashChu, but I will say that Mr. Pepper as a playable character would be a bad idea. Primarily for the fact that he is a minor character in a single game that doesn't even preform any form of combat. So minor that he doesn't even have a sticker or trophy in ether Melee or Brawl, the former more so since the ducks have a trophy.

Maybe as a "dud" assist trophy, but not as a playable character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ KumaOso

Mmmhmmm... just goes to prove that there are people besides me who actually would like to see Duck Hunt Dog in Smash, contrary to SmashChu's popular belief.

@ Habanero

No combat? This is no Animal Crossing. Hunting isn't peaceful. And I am not arguing with you about the whole "no trophy/sticker = cannot be playable" because this reasoning is bogus and you know it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I love this character. He's an icon from my childhood, and I love that game till this very day!

I also had a moveset in mind (though Kudos, the OP moveset was BRILLIANT!)

B: Throw duck (you can thow up to TWO, and somewhat control each's trajectory angle depending on how you tilt the joystick after you pressed B)

B>: Pounce (That move the dog uses when hiding behind a bush. The "pounce" works similar to Diddy's Side+B, except when you come in contact with the prey, the dog always catches him by the neck (like he would hold a duck), once he grabbed the opponent, you are left with whatever options you have when you do a regular grab.

B^: Same idea as the OP's, "Fly Away". Pulls two ducks for recovery, opponents can knock away the ducks (first one, then the other) the level of recovery depends on the ammount of ducks you hold.

Bv: Clay Discs: A fast projectile that covers long distance in parabolic angles. You can shoot up to two of these. They can be broken by the opponent, but they'll require precise timing and reaction to do so, as these projectiles are fairly fast.

Final Smash: Duck Season.
Ducks fly all across the screen, and attack everyone who gets in their trajectory. As a BONUS, the player gains control of a crosshair where they're free to shoot the opponents for EXTRA DAMAGE with powerful knockback (which on over 50% means certain KO). Up to three shots as well, so you can either focus all three shots on one opponent, or use them wisely on several opponents.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Looking at your specials, Ark, I'd change the specials up where he's not waiting for the hunter to shoot. Other than that, I still find this to be one of the best adaptations of a character ever.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm going to be honest and say I'm a little surprised the Duck Hunt Dog never made it into Brawl, not even as a trophy... but just a little.

I love the idea for the moveset, and it works really well with him. Although, I do wonder what their damage and knockback output would be. I am also wondering what his A Attacks would be as well, though I'm sure that will all be covered at some point. Come on, Nintendo, make it happen.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I found the "sticker and trophy" argument to be pretty poor.R.O.B. didn't have a trophy,or Diddy,Ike,Lucas,Snake,Sonic(though it's kind of normal for those two),Tink,technically Zamus,The trainer himself,lucario(it's normal,though).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The trophies in Brawl were all model rips from other games. Wario and MOTHER barely got anything as a result.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm going to be honest and say I'm a little surprised the Duck Hunt Dog never made it into Brawl, not even as a trophy... but just a little.

I love the idea for the moveset, and it works really well with him. Although, I do wonder what their damage and knockback output would be. I am also wondering what his A Attacks would be as well, though I'm sure that will all be covered at some point. Come on, Nintendo, make it happen.
Well, he's a dog, so.. scratching, biting... ans since there is proof that he also stands on two legs, he could have a hybrid of moves, on four feet and on two.

(Think Spike from Tom and Jerry)

He could run on all fours, probably crawl too (while sniffing, that would be awesome!)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, he's a dog, so.. scratching, biting... ans since there is proof that he also stands on two legs, he could have a hybrid of moves, on four feet and on two.

(Think Spike from Tom and Jerry)

He could run on all fours, probably crawl too (while sniffing, that would be awesome!)
Exactly. Dogs are usually capable of fighting, that's for certain. What's more - Duck Hunt Dog is not just a dog, he is also a toon as evidenced by his human-like abilities: standing on two legs, picking up ducks with paws (he's got opposable thumbs), and laughing. That's why I always viewed Duck Hunt Dog as a cartoon dog like Looney Tunes instead of a real dog like Nintendogs or an anthromorphic dog like the furries in Star Fox.

Duck Hunt Dog being a toon also gave me the idea of his breaking the fourth wall in his moveset. The toons in Looney Tunes and Tex Avery tend to break the fourth wall that I felt it would be fitting for a toon like Duck Hunt Dog to break the fourth wall while fighting. That's where the person who is playing Duck Hunt comes in. I figured that Duck Hunt Dog would point his fingers around, telling the person who is playing Duck Hunt where to shoot. I think the pointing would work well as Side Smash, Up Smash, and Down Smash (picture Lucas's Down Smash and Up Smash). This also ties with Duck Hunt Dog's occupation as a hunting dog as his job is to point out the game (ducks, rabbits, Nintendo characters)

Looney Tunes and Tex Avery are known for slapstick comedy and I think that a toon like Duck Hunt Dog could get away with using ducks like they are brick-stuffed rubber chickens. What's more, Duck Hunt Dog could probably take inspiration from Banjo-Kazooie and have ducks peck enemies.

KumaOso, how do you feel about changing Duck Hunt Dog's Side Special to something similar to Lucas's PK Fire? You know, like throwing the clay pigeon in varying trajectories like how I described it in the OP except the clay pigeon explodes in gunfire (the person playing Duck Hunt shot it from the fourth wall) whenever they collide with an opponent.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Nice, about time someone made a thread for Duck Hunt Dog :D

He is currently my most wanted retro character.

I was responsible for making the Duck Hunt Dog moveset video on youtube, the Duck Hunt Dog fanpage on Facebook (im open to add in some admins) , & making his sprites for Smash Bros Crusade.

Since Sakurai might be looking at adding more "Old Characters" for SSB4, I'm starting to feel a bit more confident DHD might have a better shot this time around.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Sorry, no. He'd just be a wtf character.

He can be an Assist Trophy, though. O:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
KumaOso, how do you feel about changing Duck Hunt Dog's Side Special to something similar to Lucas's PK Fire? You know, like throwing the clay pigeon in varying trajectories like how I described it in the OP except the clay pigeon explodes in gunfire (the person playing Duck Hunt shot it from the fourth wall) whenever they collide with an opponent.
I'd be fine with that. This begs the question though. Is the recovery relatively quick where DHD can move while the projectile is out for an extended period of time or is it more like PK Fire where you don't have much of anything you can do until the animation is complete?

BTW, that Final Smash can easily be translated into a sniper super. If you have it target the opponent(s) in the air, the fall down like the ducks. If they're standing on the ground, you get a crumple, setting you up for juggles.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
OMG! That Facebook page, you know, the one with over 1,000 Duck Hunt Dog supporters? It mentioned this thread! :awesome:

KumaOso, let me get back at you with the animation thing another time after I've refreshed my memory by playing a bit of Brawl. But the Final Smash thing, I had this idea where it would be like having three Dragoon shots in a row. I wanted it to be a bit more like playing the original Duck Hunt. But your suggestion, where the Final Smash works similar to Snake's (at least it sounds like it the way you described it), could work as well. But the question is... how many shots should this modified Final Smash allow you to have? 12 shots like Snake's?

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Oh great, the freaking dog from Duck Hunt.
IF he makes it in, I'll finally be able to get my revenge on him for laughing at me after I failed miserably serveral times in Duck Hunt.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, it is true. You can shoot the dog in the arcade game Vs. Duck Hunt. That's where the urban legend about shooting the dog in the NES version came from. Watch this video.

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
If nothing else, it would be my utmost pleasure to DESTROY that rotten, filthy, sour ******* of a dog. >:D Put him in. XD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, so KumaOso, I finally got around to playing Brawl yesterday.

Yeah, I think his Side B could be similar to Lucas's PK Fire where there is a lag where he does nothing for a second after he throws the frisbee. Maybe his frisbee could keep on flying indefinitely or should the frisbee automatically shatter into pieces (being shot at by the person playing Duck Hunt) after a certain distance?

When you suggested your changes to his Final Smash, it reminded me of Snake's Final Smash. Is that what you had in mind? I envisioned his Final Smash to be like the Dragoon item times three hence the OHKO.

D

Deleted member

I'm all for his inclusion. Duck Hunt Dog would work perfectly as a troll character. If nothing else, the reaction that would come out of his inclusion would be hilarious.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I support this char too. I mean: He's much more popular than the Ice Climbers. He really deserves to be in the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, I think his Side B could be similar to Lucas's PK Fire where there is a lag where he does nothing for a second after he throws the frisbee. Maybe his frisbee could keep on flying indefinitely or should the frisbee automatically shatter into pieces (being shot at by the person playing Duck Hunt) after a certain distance?

When you suggested your changes to his Final Smash, it reminded me of Snake's Final Smash. Is that what you had in mind? I envisioned his Final Smash to be like the Dragoon item times three hence the OHKO.
I think the disc should be shot on collision with the opponent. Else, it goes on indefinitely or crumples when it hits a wall. Perhaps there should be an EX version of the attack where the recovery is greatly reduced and the dog can use it to cover his approach.

It's more like Parasoul's level 1 super (see 0:36). The hunter would shoot the closest opponent (in the event there's more than two players in a match) and they would fall down like the ducks for a certain period of time - meaning you can't spike someone with this.

Top Bottom