• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Daily Dot: ZeRo Set To Join Team SoloMid

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Online newspaper The Daily Dot is reporting that "sources close to the player and organization" told them Evo 2015 Smash 4 champion ZeRo would be signing with Team Solo Mid in the upcoming weeks. ZeRo's sponsorship after having such a dominant win streak in Smash 4 alongside his recent major victories seemed to be inevitable and if this information is true Team solo Mid will be picking up quite the commodity to join their team. The original article is available here for those who wish to read.

ZeRo recently discussed sponsorship in his post Evo AMA on /r/smashbros and had this to say:
---​

Burritolad1: You say you're waiting for the perfect sponsor. In your opinion, what would make a sponsor perfect?

ZeRo: I basically want what I deserve. I've worked my ass off to be where I am, and I'm not taking the first opportunity I see. I have a lot of requirements, but they go more into the personal side of things. One very important thing is that they help me obtain a VISA to stay in the US and play Smash as a career. Working on it.

Burritolad1: Personal side of things? Can you elaborate a little more or is it TOO personal?

ZeRo: A sponsor has to understand my lifestyle, respect my relationship and my decisions, and work with me, not make me work. This is a dream job and if I'm not happy then I'm not playing for your team - simple!
---

It seems in the upcoming weeks we will see if Team Solo Mid met ZeRo's requirements for a sponsor. Be sure to stay tuned to Smashboards for any updates on this sponsorship situation.

SmashCapps finds it sad that if this is true the hype for an official announcement will be much less but is still excited to see another great player potentially getting sponsored. To keep up with his writing adventures be sure to follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
This could be ZeRo's next step in "conquering Melee".

Watch out, Leffen.

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
Citing other news sites is unprofessional.
It happens in the media if a news source gets the first dig on a story. That's why newscasters make such a big deal about it and risk getting it wrong to get it first.

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
Zeros demands kinda piss me off u want a visa get a real Damn job I get the longing to play video games as a career choice but the greed in which he describes it makes me sick I do t care how good he is at smash he's a lazy fat punk and always will be and his entitlement I hope it's his downfall in this game and melee
lmao, why you so salty? did ZeRo wreck you in friendlies or something?

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
Can't wait for ZeRo to rock some TSM scarfs.

(But then again, nothing will ever replace the beauty that is his OG scarf.)

Godspeed, ZeRo. I'd love to see him and Leffen team in doubles soon, be it Smash 4 or Melee.

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
Can't wait for ZeRo to rock some TSM scarfs.

(But then again, nothing will ever replace the beauty that is his OG scarf.)

Godspeed, ZeRo. I'd love to see him and Leffen team in doubles soon, be it Smash 4 or Melee.
ZeRo doesn't play Melee tho

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
A sponsor has to understand my lifestyle, respect my relationship and my decisions, and work with me, not make me work. This is a dream job and if I'm not happy then I'm not playing for your team - simple!
I may be getting some flak for saying this, but I really don't like how seemingly egotistical and hostile ZeRo is showing himself. If this is how competitive Smash Tournaments are run, then I wonder why people let such moods go unchecked and unabated. :glare:

Last edited:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I may be getting some flak for saying this, but I really don't like how seemingly egotistical and hostile ZeRo is showing himself. If this is how competitive Smash Tournaments are run, then I wonder why people let such moods go unchecked and unabated. :glare:
How is making your priorities clear to assist teams looking to pick you up egotistical and hostile? He's just saying what he wants so that anyone who agrees with that can approach him, and people who disagree don't approach him. It's a timesaver, not a "I demand the best" stunt.

Zeros demands kinda piss me off u want a visa get a real Damn job I get the longing to play video games as a career choice but the greed in which he describes it makes me sick I do t care how good he is at smash he's a lazy fat punk and always will be and his entitlement I hope it's his downfall in this game and melee
You're mad because he is respected for being the best at what he does? Sounds like jealousy to me.

Last edited:

NyceOne983

Smash Rookie
AI'm a clarify this I call me salty but I refuse to be part of the zero and mango d*ck riding masses that populate smashboards I never said zero wasn't the best but that interview about sponsorship shows an entitlement that any videogame player doesn't deserve regardless of thier skill u play games you're not a doctor who can cure cancer he wants a work visa so he can play games at a high level the f kinda **** is that. It personally makes me sick. So I'm salty and and ur all d*ck ridin

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
He's just saying what he wants so that anyone who agrees with that can approach him, and people who disagree don't approach him. It's a timesaver, not a "I demand the best" stunt.
Maybe, but I still think ZeRo could have worded this in a friendlier tone.

Eureka

Smash Ace
AI'm a clarify this I call me salty but I refuse to be part of the zero and mango d*ck riding masses that populate smashboards I never said zero wasn't the best but that interview about sponsorship shows an entitlement that any videogame player doesn't deserve regardless of thier skill u play games you're not a doctor who can cure cancer he wants a work visa so he can play games at a high level the f kinda **** is that. It personally makes me sick. So I'm salty and and ur all d*ck ridin
A professional Smash player wants to be able to stay in the United Sates in order to play Smash more? That's completely absurd! He's obviously being whiny and entitled for trying to do the thing he does for a living. Such a stupid thing to ask from a team.

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
Salty about evo numbers eh.
Peak viewers for EVO:

Melee: 200k+
Smash 4: Under 100k

Pretty salty. Smash 4 is the shiny new and more accessible game, so of course it will have more entrants (only about 100).

Due to the timeouts and lack of viewers/hype, Smash 4 will likely not be at EVO next year. Sad for your end, but true. Your trial is over... Time to buy the full version.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
^Well Smash 4 being played out Saturday morning really isn't ideal for viewers. Usually the viewer count at internationals is alot closer.

And I think Melee had more timeouts (and attempts) in top 8 than Smash 4.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Interesting mention of a visa. I'm not actually sure how long he's been in the U.S.A., but it feels like it's been quite a while – definitely more than what a tourist visa offers. I remember at some point where Zero was talking about how he was going home to Chile after some tournament, and well, that hasn't happened. I don't think it is my or anyone's business in regard to his citizenship status, but yeah, I've wondered before why they kept showing the Chilean flag in tournaments next to his name when he's practically an American at this point. :reverse:

Poopmaster

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-4588-8224
^Well Smash 4 being played out Saturday morning really isn't ideal for viewers. Usually the viewer count at internationals is alot closer.

And I think Melee had more timeouts (and attempts) in top 8 than Smash 4.
Stop blinding yourself, no johns! Apart from the trial version comment, everything he speaks is the truth. l haven't personally tuned in to Evo Sm4sh simply cause l don't have interest in watching it, it's boring to watch, but a hell of a great time to play. l even heard you guys had a hype Grand Finals with Zero using Diddy or something, that's pretty cool. And about your "timeout" comment, you know that's pretty much been like the first match to go timeout in YEARS right? Just a few months ago, Sm4sh had QUITE a few timeout matches in Apex, and the game isn't even a year old! Sm4sh is much more prone to timeouts simply because it's a more defensive style play that has advantage over approaching.
Accept it and move on.
l think Evo will still host Sm4sh another year since it's still a new game, but honestly l don't see it bringing in anything more.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Peak viewers for EVO:

Pretty salty. Smash 4 is the shiny new and more accessible game, so of course it will have more entrants (only about 100).

Due to the timeouts and lack of viewers/hype, Smash 4 will likely not be at EVO next year. Sad for your end, but true. Your trial is over... Time to buy the full version.
Thanks, Mr. Wizard for that official heads up. You're so well-informed.

Smash 4 having less views can be attributed to Smash 4 Top 8 being played not only on Saturday (no game played Saturday had over 100K views) but Saturday MORNING. I can guarantee that to people in charge of the money, actual player-count matters a whole lot more than stream views when those players pay an up-front venue/event pass fee as well as Nintendo sponsoring the event (as if Nintendo would care about Melee.)

If we judge each game by it's 1st year of play as if it would never change, we'd all be laughing at Melee's item-centric metagame.

Not everyone wants to play a game that looks and plays like a game made in 2001. To each their own.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
If both Smash games can't be kept around, I can't imagine why they would keep Melee over Smash 4. Smash 4 obviously brought more people through the door and isn't Melee the only game currently forcing tournament to obtain tons of ancient equipment from the 90s for setups?

Melee will probably survive forever at this point, its practically a religion and its followers accept every flaw in the game as a selling point.

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
Peak viewers for EVO:

lol, get over yourself. Let people play their game while you play your's. I never see this kind of aggression from Smash 4 players towards Melee players.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I never unstand the issue people have with time outs, street fighter was the most watched event at evo and I am pretty sure it had more timeouts than Melee and Smash 4 combined.

Evo would also be stupid to drop Melee and/or Smash 4, viewship wise both games were top dogs.

People should also stop pretending time and dates don't matter.

People being awake or having other evo streams matters a lot.

Last edited:

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
lol, get over yourself. Let people play their game while you play your's. I never see this kind of aggression from Smash 4 players towards Melee players.
I don't want to get into the whole sm4sh/melee argument, but the aggression happens on both sides all the time. It's literally 50/50.

Top Bottom