• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

Maikou

Smash Ace
Sir, I love you. (not in the immediate way anyone might be thinking)

I'm just gonna say I main Pichu and I honestly don't really notice his downsides. I don't use Pichu's specials a lot so I don't take much recoil damage. of course I'm a casual player, but I'm here to support Pichu and his bro in all things Smash or otherwise. I will take this to a court of law if I must, and then Phoenix Wright you until you surrender to Pichu's awesome power.

PICHU FOR THE WIN TAKE THAT TIER LISTS SOMEONE JUST SHOWED YOU WRONG!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Latest reveals don't really help his chances of coming back, even if they were small before those chances just got slimmer.
Shame too because Pikachu's Thunder being changed could have been a good blessing in disguise...

MrKitty

Smash Rookie
I loved Pichu, and it would be fun for him to be back, but I'd really rather Mewtwo or Roy's return from Melee, and I don't even think those are likely. I just hope they keep him as a trophy at least.
As for a Pokemon newcomer, since they announced Greninja and Charizard, Charizard being the fire starter from the 1st gen, and Greninja being the water from the 6th gen, it seems weird for them to not represent the Grass type, so it's possible they might add Sceptile, the grass starter from 3rd gen, right in the middle of them. I would be happy with that, especially if it turns out Game Freak does make Hoenn remakes, where Sceptile would work perfectly as a representative!

Frontiers

Smash Cadet
i don't think pichu will be in the game but I think he could be like a free dlc character who's buffed up.

WishOn

Smash Cadet
NNID
WishOn
3DS FC
4828-5426-2919
Pichu coming back would make me happy.

Pichu was a cutie. Being so light and, at times, self-damaging, meant you were always playing with some kind of handicap. I would love to see him make a comeback!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I can't believe I never posted on this thread before. I really loved playing as Pichu in Melee. :)

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
There's a Pichu thread? LOL

I officially love Smashboards.

On topic, I'd really like to see Pichu appear as an alt costume for Pikachu.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Pichu is not an alternate Pikachu; it's Pikachu as a baby. If Pichu makes it in, I want to see him as his own character. Asking for him to be an alternate costume is like asking for Baby Mario to be Mario's alternate costume.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I think he would be a good Assist or Stage Hazard
That's a demotion. Demotions don't happen with Smash. Besides that fact, even if Pichu WAS demoted, he'd be more likely as a Poke Ball.
Pichu is not an alternate Pikachu; it's Pikachu as a baby. If Pichu makes it in, I want to see him as his own character. Asking for him to be an alternate costume is like asking for Baby Mario to be Mario's alternate costume.
My thoughts exactly.
I can't believe I never posted on this thread before. I really loved playing as Pichu in Melee. :)
I STILL play Pichu in Melee. I do believe that's a 1-Up.
Pichu was a cutie. Being so light and, at times, self-damaging, meant you were always playing with some kind of handicap. I would love to see him make a comeback!
Another "my thoughts exactly" moment!

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Honestly Pichu's chances of making it into Smash 4 are somewhere between 0 and 0.1%

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think that Pichu can work as a DLC. Man, I want that little mouse back! Defeat all my friend with the WORST character in the game was EPIC!!!

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I'd be surprised if he does return even without DLC and I'll be really happy! I'm tired of seeing people calling him a troll character addition.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I'd be surprised if he does return even without DLC and I'll be really happy! I'm tired of seeing people calling him a troll character addition.
Not really a troll character, per-se - he's simply a clone through and through. Anything he can do Pikachu can do better, it was a waste of a character slot in Melee tbh.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, he was always meant as a joke character, Pichu's existance on the roster has always been so you can punk your friends with the worst character. Or at least that would have been the case if they had done a better job with characters like Kirby and Zelda and didn't give Pichu such a great N-Air, but it's clear that the purpose of Pichu was to have an intentionally bad character.

As a note I wouldn't mind Pichu as DLC for this reason, he was fun to pick when you got really cocky with your friends.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Pichu is just fun. He's smaller and faster and more mobile than Pikachu. If he lands a fully-charged Skull Bash, you are effing DEAD. NOt even kidding, I've KO'd my older brother a few times when I managed that attack. The recoil damage from Thunder can be avoided by jumping and having horizontal momentum before using the attack. I'm pretty sure Pichu's electric attacks might actually be stronger than Pikachu's due to his uncontrolled electricity.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Nice sup U.Pichu thread! I admired Pichu being a fun-worthy semi-clone character back in the day. Don't mind at all for the mouse to be DLC potential, being apart of the "'Legendary 5' cuts.." isn't that legendary to mention...people / players miss this PKMN the least Nintendo could do is bring back all cut veterans. I say bring back the fun & challenging yourself together hand in handicap...:shades:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I love Pichu and I think he'd be great in Smash 4. I don't know if anyone mentioned this already but

for a Final Smash? It would be a nice nod to the Pokemon Ranger series.

Last edited:

Toady

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrToadigerr
3DS FC
3480-2729-9032
Switch FC
SW-4465-1459-3015
Didn't know this thread existed.
Anyway, a lot of folks are saying that Pichu was just made as a joke character. Which is true to an extent.
What lots of people don't know is that Pichu actually has a buff to any item that he uses, and in his trophy description (Adventure or All Star one), it says that he was designed to be light and quick so that he can avoid folks as he runs around to pick up items. Don't forget, Melee was balanced around having items on.
Either way, I'd love to see Pichu return because he's my favorite Pokemon, but I also wouldn't mind seeing him as a Pikachu reskin. I think making a little slimmer body with the same Pikachu hitboxes would make that much of a difference. I mean really, for the amount of hitbox that wouldn't have a little Pichu in it, it would barely be noticeable to someone trying to hit him. It's not like he would have some outrageous invisible hitbox.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Didn't know this thread existed.
Anyway, a lot of folks are saying that Pichu was just made as a joke character. Which is true to an extent.
What lots of people don't know is that Pichu actually has a buff to any item that he uses, and in his trophy description (Adventure or All Star one), it says that he was designed to be light and quick so that he can avoid folks as he runs around to pick up items. Don't forget, Melee was balanced around having items on.
Either way, I'd love to see Pichu return because he's my favorite Pokemon, but I also wouldn't mind seeing him as a Pikachu reskin. I think making a little slimmer body with the same Pikachu hitboxes would make that much of a difference. I mean really, for the amount of hitbox that wouldn't have a little Pichu in it, it would barely be noticeable to someone trying to hit him. It's not like he would have some outrageous invisible hitbox.
I never really saw it around items while using Pichu, thanks for bringing that up! I always thought that Pichu was a promotion for that movie short. You know, the one where they damaged themselves. We should try to get more people active on this thread.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I didn't notice he buffed items he uses...probably because if I had items on I would usually just use Pokeball.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
After learning about Lucina being a clone of Marth with different height and sword strengths. What are your thoughts about Pichu making a return? Lucina and Toon Link both are descendents of their original counterparts, could this mean Pichu has a slight chance of returning too?

Maikou

Smash Ace
After learning about Lucina being a clone of Marth with different height and sword strengths. What are your thoughts about Pichu making a return? Lucina and Toon Link both are descendents of their original counterparts, could this mean Pichu has a slight chance of returning too?
If I'm honest, I doubt Pichu will ever get back into Smash. However if Sakurai or just Nintendo in general decide that DLC is a good thing, we might get a Melee Veterans pack that I'd be all over instantly. I love the little guy, but I don't think Sakurai does. The Pichu trophy in Brawl doesn't mention or hint at Pichu's attendance in Melee.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
R.I.P. Pichu, sadly I dont think I'll ever see you return. He was quite fun to play as but with all the reveals of a bunch of pokemon reveals, Pichu has like a 1 to 1000000 chance of making it.... But could you imagine if he made it in Smash 4 but Mewtwo didnt?? Hooooly craaaap words cant even describe what would happen. Fans would just erupt in anger (like they always do) for Mewtwo not making it in but Pichu did LOL

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
There's a Pichu thread? LOL

I officially love Smashboards.

On topic, I'd really like to see Pichu appear as an alt costume for Pikachu.
This is the reason the veterans from Melee absent in Brawl need their own support threads and not here on the sub-forums without a proper OP

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
If Pichu was playable, he wouldn't be an alternate costume. His proportions to Pikachu are too awkward.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Pichu was playable, he wouldn't be an alternate costume. His proportions to Pikachu are too awkward.
If this is in reference to my post, I did not mean as an alternate costume. I mean as a "newcomer"/returning Melee veteran/separate character with different properties. I was not sure which phrase to use, so I put "alternate" in quotation marks as he would be like an alternate version of Pichu in the same vein as Lucina.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
If this is in reference to my post, I did not mean as an alternate costume. I mean as a "newcomer"/returning Melee veteran/separate character with different properties. I was not sure which phrase to use, so I put "alternate" in quotation marks as he would be like an alternate version of Pichu in the same vein as Lucina.
Aah...yeah I assumed "alternate" meant as a costume. I'd personally prefer if he kept his moves from Melee with some buffs. While his special moves are basically a clone of Pikachu, I liked how his up-smash had a different animation.

Morbi

Scavenger
Aah...yeah I assumed "alternate" meant as a costume. I'd personally prefer if he kept his moves from Melee with some buffs. While his special moves are basically a clone of Pikachu, I liked how his up-smash had a different animation.
I certainly feel as though he deserves his own slot as he has an unique mechanic, which was the predominant reason that Lucina was not an alternate costume herself. I would argue that Pichu's "gimmick" is one of the most interesting that the series has seen and it was notably absent from Brawl. Hopefully, Sakurai realizes that Pichu offered more than most of the Melee clones in terms of diversity.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I'll be honest. Pichu is my most wanted veteran. I figured this would be a safe place to say that.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'll be honest. Pichu is my most wanted veteran. I figured this would be a safe place to say that.
I would not state that he is my most wanted veteran, but he is definitely one of my most wanted veterans. Unfortunately, we are still missing Ganondorf and Wolf; however, if it was not for those two exceptions, he would most certainly be my most wanted veteran.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I would not state that he is my most wanted veteran, but he is definitely one of my most wanted veterans. Unfortunately, we are still missing Ganondorf and Wolf; however, if it was not for those two exceptions, he would most certainly be my most wanted veteran.
Ice Climbers and R.O.B are very close seconds, Ness in third. So I have other veterans in mind. Me and Pichu go far back, he's my dearest friend in Smash.

micstar615

Smash Ace
I loved Pichu in melee and I don't think he's ever going to return as his own playable character unless they release some "Melee cut character DLC pack" which I think is unlikely since the only cut character people really want returning is Mewtwo! However I would LOVE if Pichu returns as an alternate skin for Pikachu like how Lucina was supposed to be for Marth. I preferred Pichu's moveset and play style over Pikachu's in melee but more importantly I prefer Pichu as a pokemon xD I think Pichu being an alternate costume for Pikachu would take the least resources to do and is the only way he'd likely make it in and I'd be fine with that, at least he'd be playable again.

MrKitty

Smash Rookie
I love Pichu, he's not my best in Melee, but definitely my favorite. However, if you look at the official Melee website, Mr. Sakurai directly says that he was given the task of designing a character that was undoubtedly the worst, so he decided the best way to do that is to make a character that is just a worse version of another character. Funny though, how Pichu, even though he was officially designed to be the worst character, he's not even last on the Tier List, and Sakurai's own character, Kirby is!
I tried to post the link to the page, but I need 10 posts, so to find it, go to the smash wiki article for Melee, and at the bottom there's a link to the website. (You'll need a translator if you don't speak Japanese).

Top Bottom