• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
It's sad that everybody else seems to hate Pichu for being a confirmed joke character, but that just makes the little guy even cuter.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's sad that everybody else seems to hate Pichu for being a confirmed joke character, but that just makes the little guy even cuter.
Go out and install SD Remix onto your Wii Homebrew Channel. SDR Pichu is an amazing Lethal Joke Character in that mod.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I honestly wouldn't have a problem with them adding Pichu as DLC, so long as he's free. He'd be a quick and easy addition and he is a very iconic and popular Pokemon, he can also represent baby Pokemon and the 2nd generation. I don't see a down side to it. I think it would be great if they continue to make DLC characters and in between each character they release a free clone like Pichu to appease players as they wait for the real character to come out.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It's almost been a month since this thread has seen any activity, so I just wanted to let the thread know something very interesting.

@PushDustIn has created a poll for the Japanese players of Super Smash Bros asking who they would like to see as DLC, and while the Brawl veterans nearly dominate the top 10, look how much percentage Pichu has, beating King K. Rool and Krystal! It'd be really funny if Nintendo took this into account and decided to bring back Pichu!

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Yes, I want that cute little quick mouse which you have to play intelligently with to return. With some changes to differentiate him some more from Pikachu, but either way I would play him in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, Pichu doesn't have very many electric based moves. I think the main reason why Pichu is hated is because both his recovery options hurt him. One of which will no longer hurt him because the mechanic was fixed since Brawl. I think if these changes were made, Pichu would be used a lot more.

Crouching heals 1 damage every second
Neutral Attack has a larger range (Ears do damage instead of the head)
Side tilt is Signal beam, and has a longer range

Up tilt has it’s up smash animation
It has more range
Down Tilt has larger range
Up Smash is Sweet Kiss having a larger range and dealing more damage
Neutral Arial has more range, and does slightly more damage
Forward Arial has more range
Back Arial has a larger range

It now has a recoil
Neutral Special is now Volt Switch: Pichu summons a ball of electricity (dealing 1 damage to himself) If the ball hits an opponent, the opponent switches places with Pichu. The switch deals 3 damage to Pichu.
Skull Bash no longer hurts Pichu
Up Special is now Return: Pichu moves in a direction surrounded by hearts. This does not have recoil.
Final Smash is Move Combo: Pichu uses Volt Tackle, then uses Rest to heal damage, then uses Sleep Talk to wake himself up. Pichu moves slow while this is in effect.

I know this is very unlikely to happen, but it would Improve Pichu a little, and Luigify him slightly. I would love to see the happiest character in smash rejoin the fight. (His idle animation is so adorable.) :3

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yikes, the lack of support is discouraging... Pichu is so cute and was a very fun joke character~ The only hope I see for Pichu though is a "Melee" pack or something with the rest of the clones. Or maybe as a costume or...appearing as a cameo in a stage or something. A costume somehow? With the lack of popularity and there already being 6 pokemon Pichu is a verrry low priority by itself.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Yikes, the lack of support is discouraging... Pichu is so cute and was a very fun joke character~ The only hope I see for Pichu though is a "Melee" pack or something with the rest of the clones. Or maybe as a costume or...appearing as a cameo in a stage or something. A costume somehow? With the lack of popularity and there already being 6 pokemon Pichu is a verrry low priority by itself.
Pichu is more popular in Japan as an option for DLC than Ridley. :troll:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Pichu is more popular in Japan as an option for DLC than Ridley. :troll:
I'd prefer Pichu to Ridley too :dkmelee: Pichu isn't too big! And Sakurai's explanation on why Ridley shouldn't be in was pretty sufficient. He makes a fine stage boss.

But Pichu is a cutie, past character, clone, and can be reworked to be totally unique and bring something new to the meta. He can damage himself in exchange for having "uncontrollable electricity" where for some time he can be surrounded by hitboxes of sparks of electricity, or his attacks can have better range.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Pichu somehow ends up being better than Pikachu and not be total garbage as in Melee and the current Dr.Mario I bet he'll soon be more popular than Dr.Mario.

Pichu gets all my respect though for dat U Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I actually gave his crouching animation a gimmick in my move set modifications (shown above.) Pichu is an all around cute character. I find it sad that using Pichu in tournaments is considered either a taunt or a stupid move. Honestly, If he made it back I would main him. (For real this time, not play him a lot the couple of times I was able to play Melee, and call it maining.)

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
You called Rocket? It's been a while man!

So this thread needs a new owner or something?

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I was always indifferent towards Pichu, until I watched some videos of him recently and realised, "Well, ****, I kinda like Pichu." Too adorable to not love.

If they reworked him slightly and made more of a lethal joke character (to wit: exceptionally strong moves, recoil damage to compensate), I think he'd be pretty fun. I was delighted to see Doc back in the fray, so I wouldn't say no to Pichu.

Still could care less about Pikachu. Whatever floats, like, he's just not for me. Pichu's got the adorable ears and the snuggly face. He's like a tiny electric kitten~

You can add me to the supporters list. :3

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Not that I'm aware of? Come to think of it @ J04KlM J04KlM , any thoughts on transferring thread ownership?

edit: I saw Rocket had already made that suggestion earlier...
I guess i've been inactive for a while. (Depression hit me really hard this season)

I suppose it could be an idea to transfer ownership to a user that's more active, until i get back on my feet again at least.

@ Oatmeal. Oatmeal. , are you very active here?

Oatmeal.

I guess i've been inactive for a while. (Depression hit me really hard this season)

I suppose it could be an idea to transfer ownership to a user that's more active, until i get back on my feet again at least.

@ Oatmeal. Oatmeal. , are you very active here?
I try to be. I'm not really a "posting" kind of guy (I tend to make a royal fool of myself), but I'm on the site about every day. So to answer you clearly, yes, I am.

And I do hope you feel better soon, random person.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I try to be. I'm not really a "posting" kind of guy (I tend to make a royal fool of myself), but I'm on the site about every day. So to answer you clearly, yes, I am.

And I do hope you feel better soon, random person.
Why thank you, kind stranger.

By the way, i've updated the Supporters List at last. It's nice to see more people show some love to our little guy! Keep them coming!

PF9

Smash Lord
Pichu, being the baby form of Pikachu, was something of a secondary main for me in Melee. In my headcanons, during the Melee era, the specific Pichu we controlled was the older of the Pichu Bros. (the most notable Pichu specimen in the anime, much like the Pikachu in Smash is Ash's Pikachu), and Pichu was good friends with Yoshi, who we know is good with babies.

PS, I voiced my support earlier, I just wanted to post again in case my earlier post was lost in the shuffle. I support this cause 100%.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
We have a lot of characters with high-risk high-reward moves, but an entire character's mechanics relying on that would be pretty interesting. Hard to pin their place on the tier list too! Pichu's just a great candidate, damaging itself for stronger farther reaching moves? Sounds so unique and interesting to me! Maybe even a certain move will give Pichu knockback that can be dangerous, but if mastered can be used very effectively for combos or recovery! Plus the lil baby just so cute~

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

This is going to sound blasphemous, but I'm glad Pichu has so many haters. I'm glad he's a confirmed joke character. And I'm glad he's just plain terrible. You wanna know why? The satisfaction that we feel listening to their salty shrieks of agonizing loss is incomparably energizing.

In case I'm not already on the support list, I support good old Pichu just the way we like him, for his next conquest on the Wii U.

Maikou

Smash Ace
This is going to sound blasphemous, but I'm glad Pichu has so many haters. I'm glad he's a confirmed joke character. And I'm glad he's just plain terrible. You wanna know why? The satisfaction that we feel listening to their salty shrieks of agonizing loss is incomparably energizing.

In case I'm not already on the support list, I support good old Pichu just the way we like him, for his next conquest on the Wii U.
.....what.
After two minutes of proccessing, your post suddenly goes from an epic mindfudge to making total sense. You deserve a trophy sir.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Exhibit C: :4sonic:

Also, I loved Pichu and I am a dedicated main of him in Melee. Add me to the supporters list.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Can I be added to the support list for Pichu? He's just so cute,I can't stand it! Believe it or not, I've actually secretly hoped he would return for Smash 4, even though I knew it was enough of a long shot. Still, I support him no matter what! (Alongside Plusle and Minun, who I think were intended to replace him in SSBB.)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Plusle and Minun were never confirmed to be intended for Brawl, they were merely rumour based off the japanese name for the random select button. I would, however, quite like to see them slowly get further and further apart until one of their specials was used to magnetically call them together for big damage, working in a way somewhat akin to a more visible Wario Waft.

Back on the real topic, I do not feel Pichu should be stronger than Pikachu or have the ability to heal. His crouch will be powerful regardless as he is tiny and Smash 4 has already been shown to massively empower small crouches. Perhaps, however, he could learn to follow the new custom of no self harming after 100%.
As for the suggested move changes, I would be happy to see more distinction between the two chu's and would love to see Pichu use his ears to increase range but would not appreciate any change to his neutral special as it is the family's defining ability. Similarly, I feel that nothing too drastic should be done to the Up B of Pichu, though I would be all for Pikachu learning Surf to distinguish them. Sweet Kiss and similar Cutesy moves do seem very fitting and I think some stars in reference to Swift could also go well with his moveset.

Oh and add me to support.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I voted for Pichu on the website. Pichu supporters, please cast your vote for him!

Oatmeal.

Ta da. I am now Oatmeal.

And my ballot vote has been cast.

Voted for Wolf lol get rekt.

PF9

Smash Lord
Yeah, nobody seems to mind Pichu in the context of its appearances in the Pokemon games, but when it comes to Smash he doesn't get very much love.

But I want to say this. Saying that Pichu shouldn't be in Smash is like saying Vanderbilt shouldn't be a member of the Southeastern Conference because their football team has mostly had losing seasons since the 1960s (in contrast to many SEC teams which routinely compete for national championships). If Vanderbilt wanted to leave the SEC, they would have done so in the 1960s, because that was when the window for schools to leave the SEC was open, and only two schools, Georgia Tech and Tulane, ultimately left. To this day, Vanderbilt does not mind being the only private school in the SEC, even if some say they are better off being with other private schools in the ACC. I actually know someone on a Pokemon forum who goes to Vanderbilt.

That being said, we need to put in more votes for Pichu. A lot of people seem to overlook the fact that it evolves into Pokemon's mascot, Pikachu. To me, if you put down Pichu, then by extension, you're putting down Pikachu as well, because they are part of the same evolutionary line. No one should be able to resist the cute little mouse. If anything, Smash doesn't have enough "cute" characters. We need more of them, and Pichu would be a start.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So guys, have we cast our votes on our beloved Pichu?

My whole Ballot vote list, by the way!
Great choices! Out of everyone here, I'd mostly support Krystal, Pichu (obviously), Roy, Toon Princess Zelda, Lip, Inkling, Donbe and Hikari, DEFINITELY the Ice Climbers, Black Shadow, and (Believe it or not) Ashley Mizuki Robbins, and Captain Rainbow

Top Bottom