• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I mean, I guess maybe they'll release a "melee pack" dlc with mewtwo, roy, pichu, and young link? Other than that, I can't see it happening.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I mean, I guess maybe they'll release a "melee pack" dlc with mewtwo, roy, pichu, and young link? Other than that, I can't see it happening.
The simplicity of adding Pichu as DLC should be a big plus for his potential inclusion, though. ;)

AstroHamsta

Smash Cadet

Just kidding, Even though the self harming mechanic may still be in, Pichu will be a perfect fit, we just need a new moveset.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Without the self harming mechanic, Pichu would not be Pichu. The tactical aspect of knowing when the benefits outweighed the cost of your moves was what made him such a distinct character. He just needs to be rebalanced such that he can properly overcome that drawback.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Without the self harming mechanic, Pichu would not be Pichu. The tactical aspect of knowing when the benefits outweighed the cost of your moves was what made him such a distinct character. He just needs to be rebalanced such that he can properly overcome that drawback.
I'm okay with this. Rework the self-harming so that Pichu becomes a strategic character that is challenging but has payoff. Or maybe only have certain moves self-harm, like the specials or the stronger smashes.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I'm okay with this. Rework the self-harming so that Pichu becomes a strategic character that is challenging but has payoff. Or maybe only have certain moves self-harm, like the specials or the stronger smashes.
My idea is to keep the self-harming mechanic, but the more damage percent Pichu has the more stronger he gets. Sorta like Lucario's gimmick, but with increasing the offense and speed. Along with his hitboxes increasing to make him more dangerous. This way his self-harming gimmick is a lot more justified, and eliminates most of his vulnerability. As in Melee the idea was to avoid self-harming Pichu as much as possible, with this execution it becomes the opposite. Of course, Pichu's defense stays the same. So there is still that to worry about when at high damage percent.

Example:

Pichu with low damage percent: Small hitboxes, low offense and launch ability.

Pichu with higher damage percent: Bigger hitboxes, bigger offense and launch ability.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I support Pichu. He's my second favorite Pokemon and I would be really happy if he returns as DLC.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
My idea is to keep the self-harming mechanic, but the more damage percent Pichu has the more stronger he gets. Sorta like Lucario's gimmick, but with increasing the offense and speed. Along with his hitboxes increasing to make him more dangerous. This way his self-harming gimmick is a lot more justified, and eliminates most of his vulnerability. As in Melee the idea was to avoid self-harming Pichu as much as possible, with this execution it becomes the opposite. Of course, Pichu's defense stays the same. So there is still that to worry about when at high damage percent.

Example:

Pichu with low damage percent: Small hitboxes, low offense and launch ability.

Pichu with higher damage percent: Bigger hitboxes, bigger offense and launch ability.

Like a little electric Lucario, eh? That idea could work.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Your sig makes me legit cry, it's touching.

I want all of them to come back as DLC... ;~;
Yea, me too. Here's hoping. :b:

Also, has anybody used a Pichu as part of your team? I used one in my second run of X and Y once I found a Pikachu with a lightball and bred it so my Pichu had Volt Tackle. It wasn't very useful but it was fun to raise and it did defeat a few Water and Flying types.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Yea, me too. Here's hoping. :b:

Also, has anybody used a Pichu as part of your team? I used one in my second run of X and Y once I found a Pikachu with a lightball and bred it so my Pichu had Volt Tackle. It wasn't very useful but it was fun to raise and it did defeat a few Water and Flying types.
I immediately gave my Pichu the Everstone.

I just love him that much.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I immediately gave my Pichu the Everstone.

I just love him that much.
I didn't give my Pichu a Everstone because he kept falling behind the rest of my party so I had him equip the Lucky Egg for the whole game.

Which resulted in about 50 B Button Presses.

One time my Pichu was evolving and I wasn't paying attention so when I looked back to my screen there was a freshly evolved Pikachu. I had to reset the game and unfortunately for me, I hadn't saved in a while and I had to restart my progress.

Still worth it though when by the end of the game my Pichu was level 60.

D

Deleted member

I hope my boy Pichu can get in as DLC. An easy addition and has a unique mechanic? Yes please. Just make it so his electric moves only deal recoil to Pichu if he lands them, the electric moves are much more rewarding and easier to land than Pikachu's, but also make it so he takes much more recoil. It would be a unique play style that Smash hasn't seen. :pichumelee: 4 DLC!

Also, it would be nice if he had a :183: inspired color swap. Totally not biased or anything...

Last edited by a moderator:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I just want to point this out, but Pichu actually gets referenced in Palutena's Guidance conversation about Pikachu! Not sure if this means anything major, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just want to point this out, but Pichu actually gets referenced in Palutena's Guidance conversation about Pikachu! Not sure if this means anything major, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

It really has nothing to do with Pichu's appearance in Melee though.
Highly doubt that means anything.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
It really has nothing to do with Pichu's appearance in Melee though.
Highly doubt that means anything.
They never reference a character being playable in a previous Smash, not even their trophies. Pichu here is mentioned by name. Same way Snake was mentioned by name in the Smash Direct, doesn't mean anything significant. But it's just nice to see that they aren't completely forgotten.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Like I said, I highly doubt that would contribute to Pichu's chances.
Don't think too much of it. :p
Definitely not, as even Snake was mentioned but his chances of coming back are next to none.

Pichu's chances boils down to how many veterans from previous installments they are willing to bring back. I'd say he' on the same priority level as Roy.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Pichu is mentioned because they were talking about Pikachu's evolutionary line and how Pikachu is the most popular even though he's the middle evolution.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
After seeing all the pictures on Miiverse, there's something very suspicious. I have yet to see any Pichu trophies in the Wii U version. They give all the Pokémon that appear in both versions the same trophies, yet still no Pichu. Even Mewtwo has the trophy that made everyone think it's all over, yet I don't know where the Pichu trophy could be. I need to know where Pichu's trophy is. I even made it a Miiverse post about it just now. Any ideas for a new Pichu moveset?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Posting this here in the Roy and Pichu threads.
Archdan's comics - I didn't follow them that much, but this has convinced me. The heartbreaking truth behind Pikachu wearing Pichu's goggles. Also, Roy and Pichu are always friends in my book. Add me to the supporters list too. He may never get in, but anything to discuss the little spark-plug. Also, Sakurai, give Pichu a cute hat as a DLC Costume.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Posting this here in the Roy and Pichu threads.
Archdan's comics - I didn't follow them that much, but this has convinced me. The heartbreaking truth behind Pikachu wearing Pichu's goggles. Also, Roy and Pichu are always friends in my book. Add me to the supporters list too. He may never get in, but anything to discuss the little spark-plug. Also, Sakurai, give Pichu a cute hat as a DLC Costume.
This makes me a little less mad that my absolute favorite Pikachu (cowboy) never returned. It also makes me hope that if Pichu ever returns, he brings that hat with him.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I am disappointed. There appears to be no Pichu trophy in Super Smash Bros for Wii U. And they went through all that effort to make such a good quality model for it in the 3DS version, but they couldn't be bothered to give Pichu some HD love... Shameful. It was such a cute model too...!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it should at least be nerfed. Like he shouldn't have self-damage on his recovery moves.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I think it should at least be nerfed. Like he shouldn't have self-damage on his recovery moves.
But then his recovery moves become his most powerful agro options. I don't think that's how he should work.
Unless he gets new ones with less potential offensive use and no electricity then they should continue to harm him. Maybe buff Up B's hitstun and Side B's distance though to make the former less punishable and the latter more useful as recovery.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Agility is a Psychic Type move, the damage in Melee didn't make sense, but yeah, it was probably because Pichu was a "joke character", not because it would be broken or something like that.

I really miss him, and if he is going to return, I hope he is not hmmm ... a joke.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I think he should be much more powerful than Pikachu, but still have the self harming mechanic. So he would be speedy, small, and really powerful, but extremely easy to KO as he is very light and damage builds up fast. Just explain that Pikachu knows how to control his electric attacks from getting too powerful in order to not hurt himself with them. Pichu, being so young, does not know how to control them an ends up injuring himself whenever he uses one.

Oh, and sign me up for the supporters list.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm only in this just so I can get Pichu's trophy added to the Wii U version - Consider me a Pichu supporter to an extent. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Pichu, I think the best thing to do is make him an electric Lucario.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'd love to see Pichu come back- especially if they make him seriously powerful with those electric attacks to compensate for his self-damaging mechanic.
High Risk-High Reward...it'd be awesome! Fix up Pichu, and bring him back, Sakurai! <3

Top Bottom