• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cloud matchup is horrible for us

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now hear me out, I am really struggling against Cloud.

He zones us out completely
Blade Beam kills our Banana easily and is spamable against us cause bad air speed
His mobility matches ours, and his range is huge
He kills us much earlier, like MUCH earlier
Combos don't work too well against Non-LB Cloud
LB Side B does more damage than a combo of ours
F Air is outranged (this sucks and makes our approach more difficult)

How do I face this dude without being slaughtered?

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
one thing that is very important against cloud:
stay grounded. like, srsly. stay grounded.
he then cant do much. he is bad against shields and all in all a linear character. he does not have a lot of mixups. use that to your advantage. play defensively and Dtilt OoS a lot if he mispaces anything.
overall, you really have to be able to perfect shield and stay grounded against cloud. he just stops you in the air. dash dance around (best with banana in hand) and force him into shield to punish with grabs and monkey flip.
srsly, if you dont jump too much, he cant do much at all. be aware of dtilt and dsmash OoS. everything else is easily avoidable if played patiently.
it is just really important to condition clouds to use their shield and threaten them into it, since diddy can punish that greatly. he can outspace you as much as he wants. if his aerials dont hit you( which they dont,when you stay on the ground) you literally have nothing to fear except for dtilt and getting dash grabbed. diddy is very smasll as well. use that to your advantage.
cloud is a character that has noticeable problems if facing a very good opponent, since he thrives of mispacing and jumping opponents. diddy is difficult to hit for cloud if he doesnt jump and you can run circles around him. threaten him with your movement. that might be the most important aspect in addition to not jumping all too much.

EDIT: and dont get nervous when he starts charging limit. learn the charge patterns of your opponent (when they charge, how they avoid your approaches when doing so etc.) there isnt too much to fear except for LB Cross Slash, of course. but again, diddy is smasll and fast. he has good chances to escape. thats a huge mistake people make when fighting cloud. they get paranoid when the cloud charges his limit. dont start to play their game. play your own. dont just mindlessly run to him. it is going to be punished.

Last edited:

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
It's actually not that bad banana is great because like he said before cloud is bad on sheid. Are neutral is way better and after the need it's even betting if I had guess it's probably 50-50 on paper because I never played against a diddy and only fought a few clouds

Top Bottom