• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bridge Community Church Smash night - July 26th, 2013 - Ruston, LA

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I was up late at my church Wednesday night packing up my gear (I play guitar for the youth worship team) when me and my youth pastor Jason started chewing the fat. By the end of the conversation I came up with the idea to have the church host a Smash tournament. So yesterday we spent about 2½ hours disusing and planing this event, and about 30 minutes testing the church's HDTVs for input delay. At the end of the planing period we got a date, plan to get the word out, TOs assigned, the venue mapped out, and a schedule. So without further delay, here's all the info y'all will need!

Date: May 18h​
Rulesheet: Apex rulesheet

Schedule:​
  • Equipment check in/setup 10:00-12:00
  • Registration and friendlies 10:00-12:00
  • Doubles 12:00-done
  • Singles: after doubles-done
  • Equipment Claim After Singles
Request:​
PLEASE BRING SETUPS! And with those setups: as many GC controllers, Wiimotes, and numchucks as you can bring. I can't force BYOC on a church game night.​

So here's the good news and bad news​
The good news is: Since this is a church sponsored event, then there will possibly be 40+ attendants! Also 2 out of the three TOs keep updated with the competitive scene and metagame so we don't have to worry about uninformed TOs. Also, this tourney will cater to both competitive and non-competitive smashers due to the "Gentleman's rule" covering almost everything!

The bad news is: There will be NO competition since only 2½ attendants are actual smashers (Me and my friend Eman know the metagame and stay updated with what's going on in the competitive scene, and my other friend Sarah has been playing all her life but she doesn't stay updated with the competitive scene. She's just a really good casual player, but lack of metagame knowledge holds her back) and that means it could be kind of boring. Also there is absolutely no incentive to come to this tournament since there's no payout involved.

General Rules and Conduct: Edited Apex rules
  • By entering the Bridge Community Church, you consent to having your likeness being used in any media recorded from the event for any publishing outlets.
  • Any violence or verbal abuse that happens on the premises of the event will have you warned or removed from the venue.
  • Trash talking, cheering, and any interaction between players, or the crowd and players must be kept respectful. Anyone attempting to insult a player on issues that don’t pertain to the game will receive a warning.
  • In addendum, all players are asked to ‘keep it PG.’ No profanity.
  • Multiple warnings will result in a DQ and/or being asked to leave
Anyone found with possession of or under the influence of, but not limited to:
  • Illegal Drugs including Marijuana
  • Alcohol, if you’re found to be under the age of 21 at the present time
  • Alcohol, if you’re over 21, but are visibly drunk and cannot conduct themselves in a way that would be suitable for the public
WILL be immediately ejected from the venue, and for the rest of the tournament’s duration. There will be no warnings, and no bias in these decisions.
  • All attendees are responsible for their own belongings. The Bridge Community Church, claims no responsibility for items which are lost, damaged, or destroyed as a result of being on tournament grounds.
  • Any attendee caught tampering with, manipulating, or attempting to remove anything from a console or any equipment in the venue without expressed consent from a TO will be immediately ejected.
  • No weapons, regardless of legality or license, will be allowed to be brought into the venue. Any player found in possession of a weapon (Knife, Gun, etc.) will be immediately ejected from the venue. (A knife really won't be much of a problem. We live in the South, and country boys like to keep a knife with them wherever they go. Heck, I keep a knife on me when I go out #Boyscoutswag)
  • Any issues that arise outside of these terms will be held on a case-by-case basis, and be judged by the TOs.
Additional Tournament Rules
  • The TO reserves the right to deny entry into the tournament to any player suspected of committing anything considered a crime or acting in a manner that is detrimental to the integrity of the event.
  • The TO reserves the right to settle any unforeseen situations that may occur, and his judgment is final. In extreme situations, rules may be altered between phases of a tournament in the best interests of the event.
  • Games or sets are not to be replayed due to a misinterpretation of the rules; it is the players’ responsibilities to ask the TO for any clarification of the rule set in the event of a disagreement, and the outcome of a game or set will not be changed after the fact unless under extreme circumstances.
  • Any situation that can arise that is NOT listed, but could be an issue to the staff or the players will be taken care of at the Tournament Organizer(s) discretion. You have a right to appeal to the head Tournament Organizer(s) about any minor offense that happens within your played event, however, the head Tournament Organizer(s) is final. Any argument will result in further penalty or possible ejection from the venue depending on the severity of the act without a refund.
Smash Rules: Modified Apex Rulesheet
Gentelmen's rule: Any rule with a star beside it can be neglected as long as both parties agree. This is so the casual smashers don't have to worry about getting an infraction due to a rule break. Rules can only be ignored if they have a star beside them AND both parties agree! If one party wants to play be the tourney rulesheet, then the other must comply. If there is a problem with players not following the rules, get a TO to resolve the situation. These rules are meant to restrict time and moderate [←verb] fair, competitive gameplay.

Smash Rules
  • 3 Stocks
  • 8 Minute Time Limit
  • *Items set to “Off” and “None”
  • Pause set to “Off”
  • Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
  • All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  • *There is a 35 Ledge Grab Limit for MK and 50 for everyone else. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • *Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • *In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • *If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for MK and 30 for the rest.
    • If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
  • *Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner
Modified Doubles Rules
  • *Team Attack set to “On”
  • *Double Meta Knight is banned
  • Life stealing is allowed
  • *In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  • In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  • If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
*Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.
Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).
*Stage List
Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Counterpicks
Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Conduct Rules
  • *DSR: A player/team may not counter-pick to the stage they have won on in the current set.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR
  • *No scrooging (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
    “Traveling under the stage once from the ledge” is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
    Corollaries to Rule 6:
    When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage, Rule 6 does not apply.
    The moving platform on Smashville is considered to be equivalent to a ledge, i.e. if a player starts from the moving platform on one side of the stage and travels beneath the stage to the ledge/platform on the opposite side of the stage, the player may not travel beneath the stage back to the ledge/moving platform on the opposite side before until he lands back on the platform.
    If a player is found to be performing the act of scrooging by a tournament organizer (by his/her discretion), the player will forfeit that match.
  • *In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
  • Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  • The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  • Hacks, including textures, music, and model changes are allowed (only retextured model changes. No complete model changes. Ex. A different shade of green on Pit is allowed; but playing as master chief over pit is not allowed)

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
I'm willing to offer 100$ for first prize so we see a good turnout, so you can advertise that if you want.
I think I love you.

But yeah we need to start this closer to like noon haha. Sunday's better for me definitely. But maybe not for south LA which is probably who you're trying to get here. We'll talk more soon, busy the next few days. Hope this happens for sure.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Update: The date has been officially changed to May 18th. A new schedule is currently in the works.
I'm willing to offer 100$ for first prize so we see a good turnout, so you can advertise that if you want.
I don't know if that will fly with Jason but throw the idea his way. And if there ends up being a prize, I'm not having you pay anything, the generosity of the offer is enough :). Keep your hard earned pizza money good sir for things that y'all kids need like...toy cars or something!

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Update: New schedule that waiting to be approved:
  • Equipment check in/setup 1:00-2:00
  • Registration and friendlies 2:00-3:00
  • Doubles 3:00-done
  • Singles: after doubles-done
  • Pizza break 6:00
  • Equipment Claim After Singles

Raze97

Smash Rookie
I have decided that I quit MK completely for tournaments, MMs, wifi ladder, I will only be using him in friendlies now. I am going full pit, and I have studied the MK MU, since I don't really have a way to practice it consistently. Seems interesting. We can probably make noon on Sunday but Saturday would be better for me. I don't know how many people you think may come but 10 setups seems like a bit much for Louisiana js. Gunner! I can't wait to show you my ZSS. Hopefully we can play soon, I'd love some more tips.

Raze97

Smash Rookie
haha, taking into consideration that, I doubt many people from south Louisiana will come, this will probably be you, possibly shoes, or limbo. Most likely you though.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
]I don't know how many people you think may come but 10 setups seems like a bit much for Louisiana js
This is a Church sponsored "Game night." Not really a "Smash Tournament," even though it is. We're going to have everyone from our youth there (30-40 people). I figured since we're doing doubles, 10 setups would help the tourney run the smoothest since we're going to have a lot of people there. Can you provide a setup? We've got TVs, we just need Wiis, CDs, and controllers.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
I have decided that I quit MK completely for tournaments, MMs, wifi ladder, I will only be using him in friendlies now. I am going full pit
Just lurking around and I just so happen to come across this. I love seeing ppl say stuff like this, it's so rare I feel like I need to throw a Master Ball at this post lol. Good going Raze. :D I just hope u hold true to this.

Anyways, good luck with this tourney Ram. I really hope it turns out great.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I have decided that I quit MK completely for tournaments, MMs, wifi ladder, I will only be using him in friendlies now. I am going full pit, and I have studied the MK MU, since I don't really have a way to practice it consistently. Seems interesting. We can probably make noon on Sunday but Saturday would be better for me. I don't know how many people you think may come but 10 setups seems like a bit much for Louisiana js. Gunner! I can't wait to show you my ZSS. Hopefully we can play soon, I'd love some more tips.
There's nothing wrong with using MK for matchups you don't like, or on stages you don't feel comfortable on. If you want to improve by using a sole main, then that's great, but you shouldn't ignore the fact that if you can pull out a strong pocket mk, that puts pressure on your opponent's stage and character choices, besides the obvious benefits.
I can't wait to see that ZSS! We should play this weekend.

Raze97

Smash Rookie
Just lurking around and I just so happen to come across this. I love seeing ppl say stuff like this, it's so rare I feel like I need to throw a Master Ball at this post lol. Good going Raze. :D I just hope u hold true to this.
haha well, I believe by doing this I can unlock my true potential with Pit. I feel like I rely on MK too much, and I really want to get better with Pit, and the only way to do that Imo, is to let go of MK. I don't have the skill to main two characters well, after I play with one of them, I forget how to play with the other.

You are going to get full owned.
Says the guy that refuses to play wifi because it lags too much, when wifi matches make you way better offline imo, if you are good online, you are great offline. Unless you main MK. Also this is your first tourney, don't get too cocky. I don't plan on being owned by you.

There's nothing wrong with using MK for matchups you don't like, or on stages you don't feel comfortable on. If you want to improve by using a sole main, then that's great, but you shouldn't ignore the fact that if you can pull out a strong pocket mk, that puts pressure on your opponent's stage and character choices, besides the obvious benefits.
I can't wait to see that ZSS! We should play this weekend.
Yah, my MK is good and everything, and I like having him for MK/Marth MUs because pit can barely handle them. But like I said, I'm just not skilled enough to try and main two characters, and I'd really love for my pit to get a lot better. Yes, we should definitely try to get something together.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Says the guy that refuses to play wifi because it lags too much, when wifi matches make you way better offline imo, if you are good online, you are great offline.
Dude I have like 3 seconds of input lag when I try to play Wi-Feces.[
Unless you main MK. Also this is your first tourney, don't get too cocky. I don't plan on being owned by you
If you would have said,"Don't get too cocky starfox" I would have kissed you. Also you do realize that I do have nothing BUT Pit experience, and that I play Pit 90% of the time? I don't plan on getting beaten by a Pit main! I could write a book on that MU.[/SIZE]
meta knight is meta tight yo
nuh uhh! hes bad & he brakes teh game!!11one!!eleven!! he shood b banned cuz hes OP!!!11!

Raze97

Smash Rookie
MU knowledge means nothing when you have played against one pit. Maybe it would if I were on the same level as Eman, but I really doubt I am. It just doesn't work that way, metagame knowledge without the exp is like knowing the rules of football but never playing any good teams, you can't just jump in and expect to do really well. Despite the lag you may get on wifi I really suggest you try it. Even though its laggy I've improved a lot from it.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I've played against another Pit main (retired, but he's the one who basicly drove me into competative play) than Eman on a regular basis. You might be better than Eman. He severly gimps himself by limiting himselft to certain moves. Honesly, if that kid used titls and grabs, and cut out rolling as his main dodgeing move, he would be soooo freaking good! But MU does mean something if it's character MU knowledge. There's a difference between player and character MU knowledge. Ex. I know that I can crawl under straight arrows, Dthrow>ReverseUair>Footstool at 30%, I know which moves I can clank with, I know which of his moves out space mine and vise versa. That's character MU. Player MU is reads; like: I know that if Eman rolls back twice he's going to shoot an arrow. And you are right, I do lack experience; that's the main thing I lack. I'm not perfect, but pretty solid on tech skill and character skill. I just haven't played enough people, and that's where my big weakness is: Experience. I'm sorry, but I have tried Wi-Fail. It's just too laggy for me to do anything. Plus I don't want to pick up bad habits by getting used to input lag. Did you see Salem at SKATAR? He was missing the Fair follow up to Dsmash by almost a whole second because he was so used to Wi-Fi!

BTW: Me and Eman are doing a Pit duo for doubles! (Shoutout to that Pit duo at Apex 2013 Strobe+Starlight) with the team name: Dropped on our wings. We wanted to do something like we we're mentaly handicaped like,"Special Angels" or something lol.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Sorry dude. This is a tourney that will have mostly non competitive players attending, and the super insane technical skill required to play Melee would not go well lol.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
I'll see about this. I may ride over with Gunner if I have the free time for this. I'm not a Brawl player, but I can stomach it. I have recording/streaming equipment (probably won't stream it) and lots of GC controllers.

Top Bottom