1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 150,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 15 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. Trying to find the perfect gift? Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo Controller or the Wii U - Gamecube adaptor (you can't find this in stores!)! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Bowser' started by Gimpyfish62, Apr 13, 2007.

1. the muted smasher

the muted smasher Smash Journeyman

Well its harder to grab bowser in teams because his huge size makes throwing him him to slow most the time and he's got that non sense shield game
  2. RetroGamersGuru

RetroGamersGuru Smash Journeyman

NNID:
    RetroGamersGuru
    True, true.
  3. J$

J$ I body Fox

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2105-8711-3141
    I always imagined that he would be too big for doubles. I feel like it would be way too easy to get in the way of both the enemy and your teammate.
  4. the muted smasher

When I team with someone I always tell them don't worry about me just rush them down and I'll have peach players dash attack through my shield so I can cover their whiff or I'll have a fox shffl through my shield. Size just makes it easier to space sometimes.

And unless it's the ics who can really attack bowser's shield with a fox ddi ng behind him?
  5. EddyBearr

EddyBearr Smash Lord

I think Bowser is better in doubles than in singles. There's too much going on to shut him down, so Bowser is able to slap a few opponents and get more up-b's in.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  6. ChivalRuse

ChivalRuse Smash Hero

Retreating fair and f-tilt are the staple anti-approach options from what I've seen with DJ Nintendo. But d-smash has very high priority, deals good damage by itself, and can lead to combos and tech chases. If you have good reactions, is it worth trying to use d-smash regularly to beat out shuffled approaches like Fox/Falcon's nair?
  7. minesofmoria

minesofmoria Smash Rookie

I agree. Bowser tho
  8. RetroGamersGuru

NNID:
    RetroGamersGuru
    I don't think so. The hitbox doesn't come out until frame 14, so you would have to make a read to get most out of it. Stopping approaches as a form of punishing is still available, but it's not reaction-based.
  9. ChivalRuse

ChivalRuse Smash Hero

Fair is pretty slow too, when you factor in Bowser's sluggish jump speed. I guess the only fast moves that Bowser has are up-b out of shield and f-tilt.
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  10. the muted smasher

Up tilt hits frame 7
  11. ChivalRuse

ChivalRuse Smash Hero

Yeah but it seems like more of a floaty killer move than an anti-approach move.
  12. Kalimari

Kalimari Smash Rookie

Uptilt is a decent anti air. I like it against falcon
    it's so laggy though and not worth relying on
  13. RetroGamersGuru

NNID:
    RetroGamersGuru
    I personally prefer Utilt against floaties myself. FFers can just come back and punish the endlag based on experience. Maybe Nair as a counterattack?
  14. J$

J$ I body Fox

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2105-8711-3141
    I've been trying to incorporate nair but I haven't found much use for it. How do you guys use it?

To continue the discussion, I think uptilt is probably not that good of a choice against fastfallers. Like @RetroGamersGuru said, they can just come back and punish the massive ending lag the move has. I prefer to use SH upair myself.
  15. RetroGamersGuru

NNID:
    RetroGamersGuru
    I've seen DJ Nintendo use it at BH4 against Fox to cover him while trying to land and counter the Fox. He then followed him and proceeded to use a Koopa Klaw followup (specifically Forward Klaw to Back Klaw for the kill). I really think that it's more or less a counter move since this use brought the most success from what I've seen. I've not been able to use it as an adequate followup since it doesn't always continue combos and doesn't always setup for a kill or edgeguard from what I've seen. I still need to experiment more with Nair since it still is one of his better moves still.
  16. J$

J$ I body Fox

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2105-8711-3141
    Oh, I thought we were talking about moves to use in a combo. Yeah, I see what you mean now though, I agree.
    I don't think nair is a bad move, but using it feels awkward to me, and it's difficult to use in a combo. I know in PM waveland forward nair works, but I haven't really tried it much in Melee.
  17. the muted smasher

I prefer the idea of side-b into a grab release up throw in a place where a ffers will have to di to get re grabbed or land on a platform where you'd have put them with the side b anyhow. Would work at any percent just based on where You get the side-b
  18. J$

J$ I body Fox

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2105-8711-3141
    I prefer to do the grab release if they are at a lower percent so I can build damage faster. I try to get as many followups off the grab as possible, usually doing dthrow and going for reads on reaction.